Dhim-witted protest

Guest Alex Guttenplan

"THERE WILL BE A PROTEST AGAINST THIS - EVEN IF TAL IS ALONE IN ORGANISING IT ON SATURDAY - WE WILL BE PROTESTING AGAINST THIS PRO-IMPERIALIST NONSENSE.

For everyone who doesn't know, Celtic will be wearing a poppy on their shirt for the game against Motherwell along with the 11 other SPL clubs. Players including Nakamura and Hinkel.

The red poppy is a symbol that commemerates exclusively British war dead rather than all the fallen of all the wars.

We will be leafleting all sides of the ground before the game on Saturday. We want as many people as possible to turn up on Saturday and help us spread the message amolng the supporters against this jingoism.

Cairde Na h?ireann are supporting the protest.

We will be urging in the leaflet that fans should support the walk out protest suggested by the Green Brigade.

We will also be urging that if there's a minute's silence before the start of the match, those who are against this celebration of British imperialism should turn their backs on the silence and/or hold up the front of our leaflet as a show of defiance.

Meet at the Cairde Shop at the Gallowgate.

:mad:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These people really are the lowest of the low. Bigoted weegie *****.

God bless all those who perished fighting for Queen and country.

nothing can possibly surprise me about them.

so now it's a big protest about the poppy and associated issues eh?

so were hearts fans entitled to protest about the minute silence for the pope's death? not according to that lot.

for the record, i did not boo.

These people really are the lowest of the low. Bigoted weegie *****.

During the Great War and the Second World War, we had Kings on the throne.

In an earlier thread about this, i asked...

What are the chances of the media reporting on this proposed protest? Or will it be swept under the carpet to protect ra sellic?

I'd wager that this will be sparsely reported with only one perhaps two coloumists mentioning it fleetingly.

"THERE WILL BE A PROTEST AGAINST THIS - EVEN IF TAL IS ALONE IN ORGANISING IT ON SATURDAY - WE WILL BE PROTESTING AGAINST THIS PRO-IMPERIALIST NONSENSE.

For everyone who doesn't know, Celtic will be wearing a poppy on their shirt for the game against Motherwell along with the 11 other SPL clubs. Players including Nakamura and Hinkel.

The red poppy is a symbol that commemerates exclusively British war dead rather than all the fallen of all the wars.

We will be leafleting all sides of the ground before the game on Saturday. We want as many people as possible to turn up on Saturday and help us spread the message amolng the supporters against this jingoism.

Cairde Na h?ireann are supporting the protest.

We will be urging in the leaflet that fans should support the walk out protest suggested by the Green Brigade.

We will also be urging that if there's a minute's silence before the start of the match, those who are against this celebration of British imperialism should turn their backs on the silence and/or hold up the front of our leaflet as a show of defiance.

Meet at the Cairde Shop at the Gallowgate.

:mad:

I hope those bigoted pseudo IRA terrorists cry in their grey and green scarfs as they watch their hero's celebrate a British tradition in wearing a Poppy.

Also, if the dregs of society that the Sellick support are, boo any silence I hope it makes the media world wide.

Lastly, the SPL should arrange a 10 x 10 foot Union Flag to be laid on the pitch before every game, just to get it right up them.

During the Great War and the Second World War, we had Kings on the thrown.

Aye, alright then smart erse.

'King and country'. :mw_rolleyes:

Note that the poppy appeal fund raises for servicemen and ex-servicemen.

Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Royal Munster Fusiliers, Connaught Rangers, Leinster Regiment, South Irish Horse, Royal Irish Dragoon Guards - all regiments in the British Army in 1914 - 1918 who originated from what is now the

Irish Republic. Some of these regiments suffered horrendous casualties during that war. Even with their so called Irish roots these "plastic paddies" that support Celtic have neither the wit nor the good grace to stop for a moment and remember the war dead including members of the aforementioned regiments. Shame on them for the dregs of society that they are.

In an earlier thread about this, i asked...

What are the chances of the media reporting on this proposed protest? Or will it be swept under the carpet to protect ra sellic?

I'd wager that this will be sparsely reported with only one perhaps two coloumists mentioning it fleetingly.

There's a fair chance that if anyone adheres to this, it'll be a small minority. Similar in fact to the small minority that disgraced Hearts at Hampden during a minutes "silence".

still not surprised but beginning to feel a little sickened.

it justs goes to show the power that decades of indoctrination / brainwashing can have on the hard / lazy of thinking.

absolute sickener.

These folk are the lowest of the low.

Fit right in with the bigoted institution that is seelik football club.

Irelands shame

It doesn't really surprise me. Hundreds of them were chanting 'stick your British poppies up your arse' to any United yesterday, too. :rolleyes:

From follow, follow:-

Celtic FC's pandering to extreme republicanism is coming home to roost.

It's bizarre that while Northern Ireland has had ceasefire on and off since 1994 that Celtic have been left behind in a mad little world promoting and celebrating attitudes and actions the people of Ireland - however you define them - have left behind.

The smirking behind the hands over designating songs and chants as political as opposed to sectarian hides the reality that they have given the green light to the crackpots who live in haze of hate where the confusion of sectarianism, history, politics and religion produces a cult of the idolisation of violence. It's not much of an identity but for some of them hating Protestants is enough to satisfy their confusion and inadequacy.

The current manifestation of this warped world view is the news that a gang of these inadequates intend to protest against the players of all SPL clubs having red poppies on their shirts this weekend.

Amongst this weedy collection are Cairde na h?ireann - the official Sinn Fein representatives in Scotland - and indeed the leaflets for this protest will be distributed from their shop in the Barras on Saturday.

The degeneracy of this mob is beyond the ken of human beings. Worked up into a frenzy of hate you wonder what has suddenly made these Scottish born, bred and buttered Celtic fans suddenly hate the poppy? It's hardly been a tradition in Scotland has it?

Whilst we can take the mickey and exaggerate in the name of footballing rivalry the facts are that the Catholic community on Scotland is Scottish and that in the two World Wars there was no measurable opposition to conscription and that in British Legion branches up and down the land they have partaken in commemorations and collections for generations.

This opposition to the poppy is ill - it can be be dressed up as sudden concern for Iraqi and Afghan civilians but it has nothing to do with that. It's simply another excuse to demonstrate their hatred of anything - even this most sacred symbol of sacrifice - which they believe to be associated with Britishness and Protestantism.

It is the duty of all in positions of authority - the media, in politics, in football - to condemn this display of hate. If it was a group of Rangers fans doing this there would be no hesitation in the condemnation. Now is the time to crush the remnants of hate in our society.

If anyone is bewildered by this bizarre behaviour just cast your mind back to where they get their motivation for their hate.

Back in 1987 11 civilians were murdered in the Enniskillen Massacre when a Remembrance Sunday service was attacked. What is often forgotten is that two more no-warning attacks were foiled that day - at the Tullyhommon memorial in Fermanagh and on the headquarters of the British Legion.

This is what excites these monsters - the murder of Protestants, the reality of ordinary decent people having to face the rest of their lives blind or in wheelchairs.

It should not be tolerated - the media, the police, the politicians and most importantly Celtic FC themselves should not surround this evil in the Silence of Shame.

I know this won't be popular but....

Is it really fair to ask Hinkel and other nationalites that Britain fought against to wear the poppy on their shirt, if the poppy is indeed a remembrance of the British war dead only?

Would people be fine if Hearts players had to wear an Iron cross to commemorate the victims of Dresden or something similair for Japanese victims of Hiroshima?

If the poppy is a symbol of remembrance of all those who died in the war, then great but if it's only Brits then I'm not so sure it's appropriate.

Is it really fair to ask Hinkel and other nationalites that Britain fought against to wear the poppy on their shirt, if the poppy is indeed a remembrance of the British war dead only?

Would people be fine if Hearts players had to wear an Iron cross to commemorate the victims of Dresden or something similair for Japanese victims of Hiroshima?

If the poppy is a symbol of remembrance of all those who died in the war, then great but if it's only Brits then I'm not so sure it's appropriate.

I don't think it's really fair to equate a poppy with the Iron Cross. The poppy is the symbol of remembrance - whereas the Iron Cross is a German Military decoration for valour in the field

Flawed arguement there buddie. So none of our non British players should wear it either???

I don't think it's really fair to equate a poppy with the Iron Cross. The poppy is the symbol of remembrance - whereas the Iron Cross is a German Military decoration for valour in the field

Very true and probably a bad choice for an example by myself, but I hope you understand my point.

If the British Legion was to announce that the poppy is also to signify all those who died in the war needlessly then that would be a great gesture.

Flawed arguement there buddie. So none of our non British players should wear it either???

Not saying that at all. But it should as always be about an individuals choice.

Incidentally, I wear the poppy. But I still think people should have the right.

the countries of GB, germany and japan have all reconciled, at all levels. there's no reason to think that the german player would not be proud to wear the symbol, but i guess we would have to ask him personally.

likewise i dare say there are plenty of british players who would be proud to wear a symbol which represtents the sacrifice of german or japanese soldiers.

as a non-football player and member of the public, i would have no problem doing so myself.

I think you'll find that Germany, France and the Republic of Ireland all have their own remembrance days to remember the fallen of the Great War. Japan also has a remembrance for the victims of the atomic bomb. Many other countries around the World also observe remembrance of a sort - just not all the same day.

Does anyone else find it ironic that these people are free to protest in our country because of the sacrifice made by our honoured dead?

Also, if any player doesn't wish to wear the poppy, then he simply declines to play on that day. After all, he won't be sent to a concentration camp for his beliefs.

the countries of GB, germany and japan have all reconciled, at all levels. there's no reason to think that the german player would not be proud to wear the symbol, but i guess we would have to ask him personally.

likewise i dare say there are plenty of british players who would be proud to wear a symbol which represtents the sacrifice of german or japanese soldiers.

as a non-football player and member of the public, i would have no problem doing so myself.

I completely agree. Which is why on remembrance day, I'll spend my time commemorating all those who died in the wars, not just the British.

This sort of thng should be highlighted to the media

Show the greatest fans in the world in there true light.

The police also should be informed maybe they will start treating them with the ditsain they deserve.

This still goes back to for me Dr John Reid coming out and mentioning Irish routes.

Very true and probably a bad choice for an example by myself, but I hope you understand my point.

If the British Legion was to announce that the poppy is also to signify all those who died in the war needlessly then that would be a great gesture.

The poppy always has been the symbol of remembrance for British and Commonwealth War dead - and as a way of raising funds for the Earl Haig Fund. Why would anyone want to chage this?

Other countries use other means of remembrance - I'm pretty sure that the Germans used Oak Leaves as a way of remembering the dead of WW1.

As for your point about "needlessly" - I doubt if any of the people who suffered oppression under the Nazi's in WW2 would say that those who liberated them died needlessly.

I completely agree. Which is why on remembrance day, I'll spend my time commemorating all those who died in the wars, not just the British.

i'm not sure if there is such a thing but maybe more should be made of a more universal remembrance symbol which people could be asked to display, along side the poppy... never instead of it. one which is inclusive of all the nationalities which were involved.

on the subject of 'THEM'..... it's incredible how they now mobilise to protest at a british tradition when it's most likely the same sort of people who continually complain about how their ancestors were discriminated against in this country and how they were in some way excluded and repressed.

do these people want to feel part of this country and society or not?

i'm thinking... not.

The poppy always has been the symbol of remembrance for British and Commonwealth War dead - and as a way of raising funds for the Earl Haig Fund. Why would anyone want to chage this?

Other countries use other means of remembrance - I'm pretty sure that the Germans used Oak Leaves as a way of remembering the dead of WW1.

As for your point about "needlessly" - I doubt if any of the people who suffered oppression under the Nazi's in WW2 would say that those who liberated them died needlessly.

I was thinking more about WWI.

Everyone has made a lot of good points, however, I still believe the players and everybody should have the right to choose if they wear the poppy.

Without having to give up their place in the team.

@ Victorian - Your idea of a universal symbol of remembrance is a great idea.

Everyone has made a lot of good points, however, I still believe the players and everybody should have the right to choose if they wear the poppy.

Have you been across to France and Belgium and seen the scale of the sacrifice? If not I would suggest that you do - it might just give you an insight as to why as to why we should remember

Wearing a Poppy on your shirt for 90 minutes will do no one any harm. To not wear one would be a massive disrespect to the people who gave their lives in the war. These people are living and working in Britain, there should be no problem in respecting fallen heroes in the same manor.

I know how huge a sacrifice was made. And as I said earlier I wear the poppy and observe the silence to reflect on those who died in the wars. Everyone.

But I just think the wearing of the poppy is a personal choice for people to make and not something that should be forced.

Does anyone else find it ironic that these people are free to protest in our country because of the sacrifice made by our honoured dead?

Also, if any player doesn't wish to wear the poppy, then he simply declines to play on that day. After all, he won't be sent to a concentration camp for his beliefs.

spot on mate just like abu hamza if they hate the way the countrys run or its traditions.

Why dont they go back to where they belong them

Hinkel and Nakamura play and earn a good living in Britain (although if you visit Parkhead you might think otherwise) and so it's completely fair.

Why would a Hearts player have to wear an iron cross or any other symbol not connected to Britain?

If a Brit was plying his trade in Germany or anywhere else in the world hten I see no problem with them wearing whatever symbol that it was commemorating.

You talk nonsense and I for one am very proud of what the generations before me did to make sure we can still call ourselves British. You play for a British team, you wear a poppy - end of.

Hinkel and Nakamura play and earn a good living in Britain (although if you visit Parkhead you might think otherwise) and so it's completely fair.

Why would a Hearts player have to wear an iron cross or any other symbol not connected to Britain?

If a Brit was plying his trade in Germany or anywhere else in the world hten I see no problem with them wearing whatever symbol that it was commemorating.

Well said.

As discussed on the Shed last week, the wearing of a poppy should be optional. Forcing any individual to wear it simply diminishes the thoughts of those who wear it by choice.

That said, I very much doubt any SPL footballer or indeed any decent individual in the UK would refuse to wear one.

As discussed on the Shed last week, the wearing of a poppy should be optional. Forcing any individual to wear it simply diminishes the thoughts of those who wear it by choice.

That said, I very much doubt any SPL footballer or indeed any decent individual in the UK would refuse to wear one.

Entirely my point.

The idea that people should protest the idea of wearing of the poppy, as if it supports some percieved British war machine, is for idiots who don't get the symbolism of the thing. If you don't want to wear one, then don't. But don't dis-respect the choice others have made.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Royal Munster Fusiliers, Connaught Rangers, Leinster Regiment, South Irish Horse, Royal Irish Dragoon Guards - all regiments in the British Army in 1914 - 1918 who originated from what is now the

Irish Republic. Some of these regiments suffered horrendous casualties during that war. Even with their so called Irish roots these "plastic paddies" that support Celtic have neither the wit nor the good grace to stop for a moment and remember the war dead including members of the aforementioned regiments. Shame on them for the dregs of society that they are.

Quite so, and as I have said on here before, one of the great things that has happened in the Irish Republic in the past 10 years or so is recognising this sacrifice. The 16th Irish and 36th Ulster went over the top at the Somme beside each other and both suffered horrendous casualties. So for Septic to claim some sort of faux-Oirishness out of this is sickening.

Quite so, and as I have said on here before, one of the great things that has happened in the Irish Republic in the past 10 years or so is recognising this sacrifice. The 16th Irish and 36th Ulster went over the top at the Somme beside each other and both suffered horrendous casualties. So for Septic to claim some sort of faux-Oirishness out of this is sickening.

I don't think Celtic are. Some of their fans think they are making some sort of moral stand by doing this. It's amazing how misguided people can be.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I think the clubs and SPL have made the decision here and while I agree about the "choice" aspect I don't think there is any issue about our "enemies" wearing the poppy. Indeed, I think it's a positive thing as it shows that the chances of something like this ever happening (in Europe at least) have diminished.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I don't think Celtic are. Some of their fans think they are making some sort of moral stand by doing this. It's amazing how misguided people can be.

Apologies Dave. I missed out the word "fans" (although that is probably a misnomer) so it does look like I'm criticising that club, which is not what I intended.

for me i just get the idea that it's people acting in accordance with the way they think they should act, the way they have been conditioned to act, following the doctrine, buying into the whole lifestyle, towing the party line, doing what their fathers and older brothers did before them....

i can just imagine the mono-brow twisting above the pair of shifty looking eyes.... 'erra poppy day comin' round again big man, we're against aw that stuff an' that, so we are, pure imperialistic anti-republican stuff likes, we huv tae protest, so we do'.

brainwashing at it's most classic.

ToadKiller Dog
So these halfwits wish to spit on the graves of their own?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_F.C._and_World_War_I

If you know your history !.

Smeltic football club should come out and speak against the numpties protests plans and maybe do a page in there matchday programe on those players .

to use remembering those who died in wars as a target for petty west coast politics point scoring is sick from what ever stance you take.

Yes the Poppy is a symbol for remembering British dead but attend first war and world war 2 ceremonies you often see old sailors,soldiers and air crew from all nations and sides or there representatives in mutual respect .

it certainly is not a symbol that glorifies war.

Not all British and Commonwealth troops wpould necessarily be monarchists...

Brits, Commonwealth, foreign volunteers to the British Armed Forces, perhaps? But regarding Germans and Japanese, then they should also be grateful at the sacrifices made to free their countries from fascistic rule.

Halfwits is being generous...

Guest juvehearts

Yeah.

the sole reason I am proud to be part of the United Kindom & Nothern Ireland.

The simple fact is that this extremism by this party, if you even call them that is what is wrong with the world & this country.

the simple fact is that the IRA died a long time ago & the ceasefire was the best thing- everyone agreed.

what still baffles me is that these idots haven't grown up & should be locked away or at the very least go to the andrew duncan & have their heeds examined.

I booed at hampden simpally because RELIGON HAS F'ALL TO DO WITH FOOTBALL. I wanted to make my point loud & clear & do not give a flying what anyone else thinks as that is my POV.

people went to war & died for my freedom to express my opnion & that is why i will always wear my poppy with pride.

God save the Queen.

Quite right.

Free speech always takes priority.

The fact that they are allowed to do what they are doing is great news because they will show themselves up for being the idiots they are, they will shame their club, and they will also provoke a backlash from Celtic supporters who aren't quite so idiotic who will seek to stamo out this sort of behaviour by challenging them at every opportunity (hopefully).

So while the protest itself is deplorable, allowing it to go ahead is utterly essential. Perhaps the protestors may even be surprised that it's allowed to go ahead and figure out WHY it's been allowed to go ahead and associate that with the sacrifice of our heroes and maybe learn something.....

Mind you, I'm not holding out much hope.

when i wear the poppy, i think of all the people who died in 1914-18... it was a tragic war and the death toll on all sides in the worst of conditions is a something sobers even the hardest of souls...

people who are against it are idiots.

Archived