Id rather have 3 good keepers to choose between

Dr. Bapswent

boabyarsebiscuit
It's a shame we only have 3 average goalkeepers.

And 2 of them, Banks and Macdonald, aren't allowed to play.

Actually, I forgot. Basso's not allowed to play either.

We have 6 goalkeepers with first team squad experience, and 2 goalkeeper coaches.

Laszlo thought that situation was a better idea than having any more than 1 left back in the squad.

boabyarsebiscuit
Better make that 6 average goalkeepers.

After Kello's "Makalambay show" at ER don't you mean 5 average and 1 total pish?

Than 1 stand out first choice because the other 2 were rubbish.

What a ridicolous thing to say

So your saying if we had Gordon, Kurskis, and Macdonald, you would happily trade it for Kello,Basso, Balogh, Banks and Macdonald???

If so I honestly don't want to say.

I would be more than happy with a stand out first choice and average back up ala Macdonald

GK's rarely get injured/suspended and if they do you get emergency dispensation for a loan signing

I'd rather have one promising young Scottish international keeper with experienced back up and an additional striker who can actually score....

....than 2 average keepers fighting it out for one spot and said young keeper and said experienced keeper plus another keeper and no striker who can score

Guest JamboRobbo

Give me one decent keeper, a young backup, and a striker anyday. As I said at the time.

Still, we're spoiled for choice for average keepers now. Shame we can only play one of them at a time, and we've been left short up front.

What a ridicolous thing to say

So your saying if we had Gordon, Kurskis, and Macdonald, you would happily trade it for Kello,Basso, Balogh, Banks and Macdonald???

If so I honestly don't want to say.

I would be more than happy with a stand out first choice and average back up ala Macdonald

GK's rarely get injured/suspended and if they do you get emergency dispensation for a loan signing

I think we both know that thats not what I said at all, but you'v tried very hard to make it into something sensational for you to look good over.

So ill just say 'well done you'

I find this thread as baffling as the original decision to sign both Balogh and Kello rather than go into the season with MacDonald and Banks.

Guest JamboRobbo
I find this thread as baffling as the original decision to sign both Balogh and Kello rather than go into the season with MacDonald and Banks.

Indeed. How many goals have Balogh or Kello saved us this season? Or, to put it another way, how many more goals would we have conceded with MacDonald and Banks the keepers rather than Balogh or Kello? Not many IMO. 1 or 2 at most.

And how many more goals might we have scored had we signed the strikers we needed, rather than signing an extra two goalies? more than 1 or 2 IMO.

You can never have too many goalkeepers. As a matter of fact, I'm hoping we sign several more in January.

I think we both know that thats not what I said at all, but you'v tried very hard to make it into something sensational for you to look good over.

So ill just say 'well done....'

you said 'because the other 2 were rubbish'...

which obviously means you'd prefer this situation to having 1 average keeper and 2 useless keepers. well no offence but... duh! :o

so you either a) stated what prancer said or B) stated the blatantly obvious

Guest JamboRobbo
You can never have too many goalkeepers. As a matter of fact, I'm hoping we sign several more in January.

Sorry to dissapoint, but we've got 27 left backs and 43 centre halfs who play defensive midfield line up for January. :P

pinallas on his way back.. kept in touch when he went he is playing with vasco de gama but he said he owns something to hearts {i said wages he laughed} hes jan on loan as there season has a break

I think it is based on Laszlo's comments in the EN today. He is talking about having 3 goalkeepers challenging for the place.

I think he is forgetting about Banks and Basso as well as the youth keepers.

As we all picked over in the mega thread earlier in the season, signing 2 goalies in the summer was preposterous given how weak the rest of the squad was.

We simply are not a team that is in the position of needing 2 or 3 very good keepers challenging for one spot (not that we do anyway)

We are a mid to lower table team. Not in europe, not challenging for the league

We need one solid keeper, one experienced back up and one young youth type keeper just in case.

The keeper situation reeks of our typically flawed transfer system - no real thought or planning, done on a whim, probably with the intention of it being "good business" in one sense or another.

To have focussed on keepers in the summer instead of A. an experienced centre back, B. a better striker / creative attacking player was just nonsense and would never be able to be believably justified by anyone with a footballing brain

Indeed. How many goals have Balogh or Kello saved us this season? Or, to put it another way, how many more goals would we have conceded with MacDonald and Banks the keepers rather than Balogh or Kello? Not many IMO. 1 or 2 at most.

And how many more goals might we have scored had we signed the strikers we needed, rather than signing an extra two goalies? more than 1 or 2 IMO.

So many moving parts it's impossible to say anything with any certainty.

But I think it's reasonable to suggest that had we even spent the money on a commanding centre-half and left back instead of two more goalkeepers who are no better than the ones we already had, then we would probably be doing a bit better than we are right now.

Snake Plissken
pinallas on his way back.. kept in touch when he went he is playing with vasco de gama but he said he owns something to hearts {i said wages he laughed} hes jan on loan as there season has a break

:eek: What?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What a lot of ****ing nonsense.

I would rather have a competent keeper and a competent striker and a defensive midfielder.

Prancer is spot on, that is what you are saying.

But I think it's reasonable to suggest that had we even spent the money on a commanding centre-half and left back instead of two more goalkeepers who are no better than the ones we already had, then we would probably be doing a bit better than we are right now.

In all fairness both are loans? its not as if we spent shedloads of money.

Guest JamboRobbo

Agree it's hard to say exactly the effect the changes might have had. But it's safe to say that having a few more options in the position where we're short, in exchange for a few less options in a position where we have more than enough cover, is a bit of a no brainer.

I can only assume whoever got the no brainer wrong, has no brain. :P

What a lot of ****ing nonsense.

I would rather have a competent keeper and a competent striker and a defensive midfielder.

Prancer is spot on, that is what you are saying.

No he isnt.

He is suggesting is swap a good keeper and 2 poor keepers, for 3 average keepers.

I never said that.

I said id rather have 3 keepers of the same ability, over 1 obvious choice, because the other 2 were worse!

The difference is clear.

In all fairness both are loans? its not as if we spent shedloads of money.

Sure but they are both costing something. I'm saying that money could have been spent more wisely.

No he isnt.

He is suggesting is swap a good keeper and 2 poor keepers, for 3 average keepers.

I never said that.

I said id rather have 3 keepers of the same ability, over 1 obvious choice, because the other 2 were worse!

The difference is clear.

Ahh your clear now.

You would prefer 3 average keepers over 1 average keepers and 2 crap keepers.

I personally disagree, your clearly better with 1 average and 2 crap :rolleyes:

Thank you for this blatantly obvious point.

I personally would prefer we punt all of the keepers and sign one who would actually do a decent job.

I see Iain Turner is still nowere near the everton team, how about a wee loan bid for him instead of signing pash from eastern europe?

No he isnt.

I never said that.

The difference is clear.

Maybe you didn't mean to say that, but that's what you effectively said.

Than 1 stand out first choice because the other 2 were rubbish.

Totally disagree. Rather have one keeper of quality, one good backup and one youth coming through. Teams rarely rotate keepers so it's just a waste of money having all the keepers we have when we are crying out for strikers. Nonsense decision from the hierarchy to bring in Kello and Balogh when McDonald was also returning from loan, especially as Balogh is only a 6mth loan himself!!

No he isnt.

I never said that.

The difference is clear.

RI7228-300.jpg

The point being, its currently what we have....3 keepers of the same ability

But people still moan about our keeper choice.

Its a decent decision to have to make as a manager.

rather than having it made for you....

Yes, it would be great if the rest of the team was up to scratch and we had a balanced squad.

Unfortunately, we do not have that luxury so I hope 1 or 2 keepers are offski in January to make way for players we REALLY need.

fair enough point I suppose. We certainly have more to worry about than our goalkeepers at present but then I think that is the point which has been reflected in this thread, because we were in almost exactally the same situation at the start of the season.

Yes, it would be great if the rest of the team was up to scratch and we had a balanced squad.

Unfortunately, we do not have that luxury so I hope 1 or 2 keepers are offski in January to make way for players we REALLY need.

Of course, but my point was only about the keeper situation.

The rest of the team def needs an overhall.

As ive posted before I think a brand new spine is what we need, new CB, new AM and ST.

Totally disagree. Rather have one keeper of quality, one good backup and one youth coming through. Teams rarely rotate keepers so it's just a waste of money having all the keepers we have when we are crying out for strikers. Nonsense decision from the hierarchy to bring in Kello and Balogh when McDonald was also returning from loan, especially as Balogh is only a 6mth loan himself!!

We've been rotating goalkeepers since before Gordon left ...

Guest JamboRobbo

I'd say having to choose between an average keeper, an average keeper, or an average keeper, is a pretty irrelevent decision to have to make, rather than a decent one.

boabyarsebiscuit

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Csaba arranges for Balogh to sign and then Vlad signs bombscare Kello behind his back and tells Csaba to play him.

[mod edit]

Your opinion Baps but my personal opinion is that none of the current keepers are good enough for what we should be achieving.

In fact very few of the squad are good enough.

However I would not remoteley be dissapointed to see all of our keepers moved on and replaced by a top keeper, a average(ish) reserve and a youth

Your opinion Baps but my personal opinion is that none of the current keepers are good enough for what we should be achieving.

In fact very few of the squad are good enough.

However I would not remoteley be dissapointed to see all of our keepers moved on and replaced by a top keeper, a average(ish) reserve and a youth

Agree

I think we could use a total overhaul.

But at the moment, we have to work with the squad left to Csaba.

Clearly in the ideal situation you would have a top class first choice, a solid back up and probably a promising young 3rd choice (Like when Hearts had Gordon, Banks and MacDonald for instance). But given the choice between 3 decent keepers who arent going to cost too much but arent going to save you many points over a season or a top class keeper like Gordon or Niemi who would save you 15 - 20 points a season and utter dross as back up I would take Gordon or Niemi every single time.

siegementality
Agree

I think we could use a total overhaul.

But at the moment, we have to work with the squad left to Csaba.

The goalkeepers weren't "left to Csaba" though. He brought them in. Just a shame he didn't see the need for a goalscorer as being the same priority as two new keepers and a goalkeeping coach.

So far Csaba, if you believe the choices have been his, has signed five players, 2 keepers, 1 injury prone striker, 1 injury prone left sided player and 1midfielder that doesn't appear good enough. Not a very good start.

The goalkeepers weren't "left to Csaba" though. He brought them in. Just a shame he didn't see the need for a goalscorer as being the same priority as two new keepers and a goalkeeping coach.

So far Csaba, if you believe the choices have been his, has signed five players, 2 keepers, 1 injury prone striker, 1 injury prone left sided player and 1midfielder that doesn't appear good enough. Not a very good start.

Agreed.

So it still needs an overhaul.

I think both Kello and Balogh have looked ok.

Obua and Tullberg are still unknowns.

siegementality
Agreed.

Tullberg is a mistake and should never have been signed. We didn't have the luxury of signing a forward we knew to be injured, especially one whose past record lacked goals. I'd like to know what he is being paid and who we could have got for the same cash.

P.S. I personally thought Banks and MacDonald looked OK. The need for a striker was far greater than for a goalkeeper, never mind two!

Tullberg is a mistake and should never have been signed. We didn't have the luxury of signing a forward we knew to be injured, especially one whose past record lacked goals. I'd like to know what he is being paid and who we could have got for the same cash.

P.S. I personally thought Banks and MacDonald looked OK. The need for a striker was far greater than for a goalkeeper, never mind two!

Agree with the second bit, but not convinced about your points on Tullberg.

Must admit I wasn't impressed to sign someone who was injured, but still think he deserves more action before we decide on his overall ability.

siegementality
Agree with the second bit, but not convinced about your points on Tullberg.

Must admit I wasn't impressed to sign someone who was injured, but still think he deserves more action before we decide on his overall ability.

Fair enough, given the dross we had up front though I think we needed someone who had a track record of scoring goals at this level, not some unknown who Reggina took a punt on. Was never asking for a superstar, a journeyman would have done meantime, especially a fit one (i.e not injured).

Agreed.

Kello i dont see what everyone is having a go at with him to be honest.

He had a shady 45mins at ER but didnt cost us anything and upto that game was solid including making a few decent saves.

As i recall he hasnt cost us a single goal where i though he should have got it.

Balogh on the other hand is terrible.

Kello i dont see what everyone is having a go at with him to be honest.

He had a shady 45mins at ER but didnt cost us anything and upto that game was solid including making a few decent saves.

As i recall he hasnt cost us a single goal where i though he should have got it.

Fair enough - but the point is did McDonald cost us a goal we should have had? Did Banksy

I think your last sentence could be repeated for both of those.

So I guess the issue is - why on earth are we paying for 4 keepers (in these tight financial times) when the most recent additions havent really taken us any further forward from the position we were in previously?

Fair enough - but the point is did McDonald cost us a goal we should have had? Did Banksy

I think your last sentence could be repeated for both of those.

So I guess the issue is - why on earth are we paying for 4 keepers (in these tight financial times) when the most recent additions havent really taken us any further forward from the position we were in previously?

Well i agree to a certain extent the Banks thing if he was to be the coach made sense at the time but as he is in the wilderness now then it doesnt. As for McDonald still young and inexperienced, and i know Gordon was but he is the exception to the rule with that in mind then an experienced keeper was a sensible option.

I agree we have too many for me Basso and Balogh can go Kello and McDonald as 1 and 2 and Banks as a coach would have been a fair result it just doesnt appear to have gone like that

Archived