"harvey" on Real Radio tonight

husref musemic

Far from an expert myself mate, was simply going by a webstie some of the whiter than white posters used to beat others with in the past.

http://www.nilbymouth.org/history.htm

Seems its acceptable to use hun on here but not fenian.

Just dont understand the double standards.

I say Hun sometimes but it's meant purely as a derrogation for Rangers FC and for me, has no religous connotation. Hun, to me is no different to calling Aberdeen mutton molesters or Hibs Hobos.

Fenian is purely a derrogation for catholic so it's sectarian and nothing to do with football.

Hope that make sense to everyone else but that's the way I see it.

Commander Harris
I say Hun sometimes but it's meant purely as a derrogation for Rangers FC and for me, has no religous connotation. Hun, to me is no different to calling Aberdeen mutton molesters or Hibs Hobos.

Fenian is purely a derrogation for catholic so it's sectarian and nothing to do with football.

a celtic fan was recently convicted of religiously aggravated breach of the peace for wearing a t-shirt with the words "dirty horrible huns" on it.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2462776.0.Celtic_fan_in_court_over_Tshirt_jibe.php

Guest S.U.S.S.

While i do mostly agree the problem is its the way you see it. These organisations have said its a no no but we dont mean it badly so we feel its ok.

Surely we should not use the term as it has been deemed wrong to do so?

a celtic fan was recently convicted of religiously aggravated breach of the peace for wearing a t-shirt with the words "dirty horrible huns" on it.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2462776.0.Celtic_fan_in_court_over_Tshirt_jibe.php

Interesting.

Have to say i'm surprised. Never thought there was any religous meaning to that word.

Commander Harris
And yet JKB allow the use of the word?

could it not cause the board problems?

that's a sheriff court decision and as such does not set precedent. We also don't know if there were other factors in the case that the Sheriff took into account. It is interesting nonetheless.

Guest S.U.S.S.
that's a sheriff court decision and as such does not set precedent. We also don't know if there were other factors in the case that the Sheriff took into account. It is interesting nonetheless.

Very true, i just wondered if KB would be as pro active in its sanctioning the use of the word 'hun' (perhaps depending on the context) as they are with some others.

And yet JKB allow the use of the word?

could it not cause the board problems?

But JKB also allows the use of the word fenian too.

see:

fenian

fenian

fenian

hun

hun

hun

Fenian however is a sectarian slur that that is purely made on religous, non footballing grounds. I'm not sure what the protestant equivalent is but i'm pretty sure it's not hun.

It's a term originally used to describe supporters of an actual historic revolutionary movement who were principally, but not exclusively, from one side of the protestant/Catholic divide and now used more broadly.

Sounds like the closest equivalent is "Orange"

Archived