any sparkies?

IronJambo

quick question for ya.

i have 2 fittings for spotlights in my kitchen getting replaced by the builders. the wires coming from the bulb on each of them are kinda melted.

one spark said that the replacement bulbs i put in them caused it because they were sending the heat upwards rather than downwards. makes sense to me.

another spark today said the bulbs shouldn't make a difference and the fittings were probably buggered before they were put in.

who's right and who's talking hibs?

i've got a bout 8 bulbs that i don't want to wreck other fittings with, but if they've not cause it i don't want to throw them out if they've not caused it

What kind of bulbs are you using? Are they low voltage MR16 dichroic bulbs? And are you using the maximum recommended wattage?

i've put in GU5.3 dichoric 50watt bulbs (12v). i've stopped using though, as i don't want to wreck any other fitting. on the bulb it has writting 50W 12V 36D

it replaced GX5.3 dichoric 50watt 12V bulb. the bulb has "coolfit" written on it.

i'm guessing the GX is a bit of a clue? i'm not overly keen to use what i have but i've just been assured they're ok but i'm not convinced yet

The GY bit will be the lampbase. Try dropping down to 12v 35w lamps, there isn't a huge amount of difference if they are just downlights.

i would get shot of the low voltage fittings, they are a nightmare, also bulbs go in the ground.

i would if you are keeping the low voltage fittings to have the transformers checked out and replaced if needed, also 35w is the highest i ever install, the 50w do tend to take the output to the limits

any chance that insulation is causing problems?

nah, its only two out of 6 fittings. i do think its the lights i put in them, but since i know the light fittings were mucked around with due to flooding from the flat above it makes me wonder if they were knackered beforehand and not replaced like the builders said.

Archived