poppy appeal outside tynecastle

winston churchill

No one should feel forced into supporting a particular charity and certainly not in to displaying that publiclly and especially not if that charity is linked to a political organisation.

I agree that noone should feel forced into supporting a cause that they do not believe it. I am unsure that that gives them the right to verbally abuse strangers on the street.

The army goes to war on behalf on a particular state's government, it would be hard to be more political than this. It is apolitical in a British domestic politics sense, in that it doesn't matter which party is elected. But it is very political in the global politics sense. The charity I referred to being involved with earlier is Amnesty International. Whilst they are apolitical in the party politics sense, they are a political organisation in the wider sense.

It is apolitical in a British domestic politics sense, in that it doesn't matter which party is elected.

Accepting your thesis for a moment, I would then have to question, given the above, why it suddenly becomes political when soldiers are standing on the street in a British city collecting money for the British legion?

When I said British domestic politics, I really meant British domestic party politics.

Just because people are in Britain doesn't mean that they don't have opinions that rise above domestic party politics to international politics. Equally someone might choose to protest against the actions of a large British company because whilst they are party apolitical they are a political actor.

I would personally prefer that people found a more polite way to express their opinions, but as I said I defend their right to express their opinion in the manner they see fit.

I think I've said my piece and am off to bed now. I doubt I've changed anyone's view but then it is a discussion forum.

When I said British domestic politics, I really meant British domestic party politics.

Just because people are in Britain doesn't mean that they don't have opinions that rise above domestic party politics to international politics. Equally someone might choose to protest against the actions of a large British company because whilst they are party apolitical they are a political actor.

I would personally prefer that people found a more polite way to express their opinions, but as I said I defend their right to express their opinion in the manner they see fit.

I think I've said my piece and am off to bed now. I doubt I've changed anyone's view but then it is a discussion forum.

Fair enough. Personally, I disagree that refusing to observe an enforced minute of silence in honour of a religion leader is equivalent to abusing a stranger in the street who is collecting for a charity which supports those who serve their country.

Each to to their own, though.

The army goes to war on behalf on a particular state's government, it would be hard to be more political than this. It is apolitical in a British domestic politics sense, in that it doesn't matter which party is elected. But it is very political in the global politics sense. The charity I referred to being involved with earlier is Amnesty International. Whilst they are apolitical in the party politics sense, they are a political organisation in the wider sense.

in the UK the government has to ask the queen for permission to send her troops to war, so how can it be deemed political

Thunderstruck

The armed forces (not just the Army) of this country draws from all sectors of our society and that will include men or women who support football teams all across the country, including Celtic. The rants of a few knuckle-draggers do their club no favours and are being disrespectful to a significant number of their own fellow supporters.

PoppyScotland collects to allow it to support Servicemen/women and their families. If everyone in Scotland put just 50p in a tin, it would double the amount of money available to support these people.

If nothing else, the simple act of Remembrance should remind us of the horrors of war and conflict. It is when this is forgotten that we stand into danger.

Sheriff Fatman
in the UK the government has to ask the queen for permission to send her troops to war, so how can it be deemed political

Oh please, like she would ever say no.

Any role the Queen has in the politics and the military is entirely ceremonial and any time politicians go to her to 'ask permission' they are guaranteed to get it.

Jam Tarts 1874
sorry but i don't know if this has been posted yet.

i just had that real radio phone in driving back from work.

there was a hearts fan on who was going mental.he said that servicemen collecting for the poppy appeal outside the ground,were verbally abused by the best fans in the world.

Don't give them oxygen.

Jam Tarts 1874

Errrrr, I think you need to get yourself up to date with Parlimentary proceedure.

Jam Tarts 1874
The armed forces (not just the Army) of this country draws from all sectors of our society and that will include men or women who support football teams all across the country, including Celtic. The rants of a few knuckle-draggers do their club no favours and are being disrespectful to a significant number of their own fellow supporters.

PoppyScotland collects to allow it to support Servicemen/women and their families. If everyone in Scotland put just 50p in a tin, it would double the amount of money available to support these people.

If nothing else, the simple act of Remembrance should remind us of the horrors of war and conflict. It is when this is forgotten that we stand into danger.

Yes, but many of the Celtic persuasion chose to hinder the British in the 1st and 2nd world wars. I see no need for anyone to stick up for them on this forum.

Archived