serious question

Guest jambomickey

have we moved forward from last season?

not really. we haven't really moved backwards either.

there's no need to hit the panic button just yet but we do have a fairly urgent need to start picking up points to consolodate our league position. a couple more defeats and the picture could look a lot worse.

have we moved forward from last season?

I really, really want to answer in the positive J-M, but I am feeling myself slide into exactly the kind of despondency that we've all felt over the last couple of years.

We're woefully short of options up front; our tactics seem far too reliant on Mikey S. being on top form; and Mr Romanov is STILL only notable by his absence.

So, short answer is 'Yes - but not a fraction of how much we urgently need to move on'

The situation as it currently stands is

Pld 11, W4, D2, L5, F12, A17, GD -5, Pts 14

On 27 Oct 2007

Pld 11, W4, D2, L5, F18, A21, GD -3, Pts 14

After 11 games last year we'd already recorded our best result 4-2 against the Hun but we'd also lost a Derby at home and collapsed 5-0 against Celtic. 14 points a game was our average through the period up to the split.

In essence our results aren't significantly better or worse than they were at this point last time. On the bright side though we're only 2 points off 3rd while last year we were 7 adrift.

But to put objectivity aside for a moment it looks to me as if we have moved forward although not as fast as we all would have liked.

Csaba seems to have a definite plan for how he wants the game played in a passing, possesion orientated, continental style and sometimes we look quite good at it. Too often the plan is failing in the execution but we've moved from playing bad football to playing good football badly.

Of course the real problem with last season wasn't taking 14 points from the first 11 games it was taking 7 from the next 11 as everything fell to bits and all the players seemed to fall out with each other.

Outward signs are that the spirit in the squad is a lot better than it was. This is evidenced by the fact that we've come back from suffering setbacks to get something out of games and may be partly because they're not playing under the burden of inflated expectations.

And at least we've stopped moving backwards

Archived