Speirs take on Laszlo

Stuart Lyon

Quote from Spiers in today's Times

"The Hearts head coach has many well-wishers in Scottish football but it is frustrating and agitating to be subjected to his gibberish following these games. Laszlo has a tendency to embark on long rambles, made-up of reams of half constructed sentences, which quite often amount to unintelligible nonsense.'

An honest view?

"The Hearts head coach has many well-wishers in Scottish football but it is frustrating and agitating to be subjected to his gibberish following these games. Laszlo has a tendency to embark on long rambles, made-up of reams of half constructed sentences, which quite often amount to unintelligible nonsense.'

An honest view?

Having read some of Spiers' own "match reports", he is certainly qualified to recognise the part in bold.

An honest view?

Yes, Laszlo should :zip:it.

Not far off.

But i think its more likely that Csaba knows what he is trying to say, its just not coming over that well.

If he really was just rambling to hide anything, he would be more likely to say very little, not a lot.

Guest JamboRobbo

My view on Csaba. I've heard the words, and I've also witnessed the results of the actions for which he is taking responsibility.

Actions speak louder than words.

My view on Csaba. I've heard the words, and I've also witnessed the results of the actions for which he is taking responsibility.

Yes, and thats why personally im getting a wee bit fed up with his ramblings :sad:

He sounds more and more like Vlad every day:eek:

An honest view?

Not far off the mark although coming from Spiers I find it hard to swallow.

My view on Csaba.

...is a sentence fragment. Consider revising.

I no longer bother listening to his post-match interviews. They're just boring.

I'm not really sure I care how Csaba communicates - English is his 3rd or 4th language

But its what he says

So if he rambles but takes 10 minutes to say that a performance like yesterday is simply not how he wants a team of Hearts players to perform on the big stage - then fair enough

If he rambles and says we actually did ok, it could have been worse especially if we actually tried to chase the game at 2 goals down and fans should really grow a brain, then I dont think this is so good and I would concur with Spiers

Heart of the Matter

I tend to agree with Speirs.

When Csaba was first appointed, he had an interview with Jim Spence from the BBC who invited him to share some early thought on his tenure at Hearts.

He gave the longest and possibly the dullest response of any interview I can ever remember from a coach. He rambled on and on for what seemed at least 10 minutes without really saying anything, interspersed with a few riddles and metaphors which bore a striking similarity to the kind of stuff that Romanov himself trots out from time to time. The rambling way he speaks seems to it difficult for an interviewer to interrupt.

Okay, it may be difficult for him to express himself well in English, but if his post-match analysis is anything to go by, his team talks might well be poorly communicated as well. He seems have the capacity to talk for a long time without really nailing the point.

Interestingly, however, I have read reports of shareholder's meetings and press conferences where he is described as humorous and even 'charismatic'. Maybe his mind only goes into neutral when he is in front of a TV camera.

I couldnt give a toss what Shabba says - it is what he delivers as manager that counts, we have heard some of the pish great managers like Sir Alex, Wenger and Mourinho have came out with in the past.

Unfortunately though imo nothing at all has changed since last season, same players, players being played out of position, sticking to this 4 4 1 1/4 4 3 formation that the players we have are clearly not good enough to make work and the same mediocre results.

It's a pity because he does come across as a decent coach and person however it seems to me that his hands are tied behind his back like his predecessors.

I tend to agree with Speirs.

When Csaba was first appointed, he had an interview with Jim Spence from the BBC who invited him to share some early thought on his tenure at Hearts.

He gave the longest and possibly the dullest response of any interview I can ever remember from a coach. He rambled on and on for what seemed at least 10 minutes without really saying anything, interspersed with a few riddles and metaphors which bore a striking similarity to the kind of stuff that Romanov himself trots out from time to time. The rambling way he speaks seems to it difficult for an interviewer to interrupt.

Okay, it may be difficult for him to express himself well in English, but if his post-match analysis is anything to go by, his team talks might well be poorly communicated as well. He seems have the capacity to talk for a long time without really nailing the point.

Interestingly, however, I have read reports of shareholder's meetings and press conferences where he is described as humorous and even 'charismatic'. Maybe his mind only goes into neutral when he is in front of a TV camera.

Presumably his team talks are a combination of rambling drivel and incoherent arm waving.

Can't disagree with that.

It could also be that Spiers may have had a certain deadline to get both a match report and after-match quotes to his paper and Csaba's long monologue nearly caused him to miss it?

We do need to bear in mind that English is nowhere near Csaba's first language - and certainly, it's a million miles better than my Hungarian, Romanian or German! No-one would care about his monologues if we were winning games: we'd probably just regard it as another of his endearing eccentricities. As it is though, the more we struggle, the more aspects of his personality which many liked at first will be held against him - which is just human nature really.

One thing though (warning: crass regional stereotype alert!): I've often noticed many Eastern European politicians and public figures taking an age to answer a simple question. They grew up in societies in which openness and scrutiny were frowned upon, and just aren't used to being asked questions and made to account for their actions. Of course, this certainly doesn't apply to everyone from that part of the world - far from it - but it does to some, definitely. So I think we should cut Csaba some slack on this.

We do need to bear in mind that English is nowhere near Csaba's first language - and certainly, it's a million miles better than my Hungarian, Romanian or German! No-one would care about his monologues if we were winning games: we'd probably just regard it as another of his endearing eccentricities. As it is though, the more we struggle, the more aspects of his personality which many liked at first will be held against him - which is just human nature really.

One thing though (warning: crass regional stereotype alert!): I've often noticed many Eastern European politicians and public figures taking an age to answer a simple question. They grew up in societies in which openness and scrutiny were frowned upon, and just aren't used to being asked questions and made to account for their actions. Of course, this certainly doesn't apply to everyone from that part of the world - far from it - but it does to some, definitely. So I think we should cut Csaba some slack on this.

I don't think he has any endearing eccentricities.

I think he has personal discipline problems and insults the intelligence of the Hearts fans with comments such as those about us not understanding when he capitulated yesterday. Robbo had the right idea about him.

You can't really argue with Spiers on this one.

His interviews were entertaining to begin with, but since results started to turn for the worst they have become boring and quite frankly confusing.

I don't think he has any endearing eccentricities.

I think he has personal discipline problems and insults the intelligence of the Hearts fans with comments such as those about us not understanding when he capitulated yesterday. Robbo had the right idea about him.

Care to elaborate? Robbo has personal discipline problems too, of course - but Csaba? Incidentally, if we'd thrown people forward after Zaliukas was sent off yesterday, we might well have been humped 4 or 5-0 - which would've made the already fragile morale in the dressing room even worse. Most non-OF sides play defensively home and away against the uglies: we are both no better than any of them, and don't have the personnel to play 4-4-2 either. Meaning the problem lies further above, as ever.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I don't care, that's not our problem is it?

The press conference is a tool for managers to explain decisions, give their views on the game ... it's an important part of management if you ask me.

If we have language barriers then something is going to have to change somewhere.

Darren Bent was interviewed midweek and said one of the main problems with Ramos was the language barrier. Said he was a top manager but just couldn't get his view across properly.

Redknapp has came in and had a one to one with every player in English and look at their last few results.

No excuse or sympathy on the language issue .. he is paid mega bucks, I'm sure he could be learning English every day if it was really vital.

I have been a strong proponent of Csaba. I am however just a bit starting to wonder. He talks all the right things to impress me. Togetherness with the players, a positive attitude, and strong motivational principles. These are the verbal.

The operational fact other than the Hibs game is that this team are no more motivated than they were last season, and rinse my mouth with soap, but have a strong resemblance to the Frail coached team. The buzz so often it seems is we can achieve, whatever, third place, first place, the Cup with a win this week. Like others I await the Saturday with nervous excitement, on Saturday evening I read how there was no effort, they laid down no passion, no fight. This does not sound like the players Csaba says he talks to in the dressing room, this sounds more to me like a bunch of in their own minds legends, who give not a flying ***** about Hearts, Csaba or the fans. They act against the OF like a group who have decided we will lose so why bother.

These are problems which are right at the coaching staff door. If there are bad seeds in the room get them out, not in January, now. If there are non triers show them the trail left by the former.

I am not skilled enough to write the book on management, but spent enough time supervising men and women to know for sure nice guys don't win, neither of course does charm and hot air blown out at a Friday press conference.

I like Csaba, I had nothing personal against Frail, I just had no respect for him, if there is in fact manipulation by others I hope Csaba is man enough to do what Frail wouldn't and tell them to fallout. If not it will hurt me greatly to find I am losing respect for Csaba also.

Im sorry but i couldnt disagree more, IMO he is now using this as an excuse.

I just hope he gets it together very soon and realises we have had more than enough incoherent ramblings emitting from Tynecastle over the last 5 years and we are pretty expert in recognising krap when we hear it :cool:

Im sorry but i couldnt disagree more, IMO he is now using this as an excuse.

I just hope he gets it together very soon and realises we have had more than enough incoherent ramblings emitting from Tynecastle over the last 5 years and we are pretty expert in recognising krap when we hear it :cool:

Yup, I just feel it's like when Valdas started mumbling with head downwards after every game so nobody could pinpoint what he was saying. ie, he's saying a lot to save himself from saying ANYTHING.

Yup, I just feel it's like when Valdas started mumbling with head downwards after every game so nobody could pinpoint what he was saying. ie, he's saying a lot to save himself from saying ANYTHING.

But he's been doing that from the very start: even when he was popular!

Exactly, and unfortunately for him we can see this (well some of us can:rolleyes:) and we will not be fooled anymore :eek: he can thank Vlad for that !

Not far off.

But i think its more likely that Csaba knows what he is trying to say, its just not coming over that well.

If he really was just rambling to hide anything, he would be more likely to say very little, not a lot.

Perhaps this is also the problem with his instructions to some of our players

But he's been doing that from the very start: even when he was popular!

I dont think its wrong for us to give him a chance to do the talking on the pitch?

I for one will certainly continue to do so but I will not be fooled by anything other than results so cut the krap Csaba ;)

I don't care, that's not our problem is it?

The press conference is a tool for managers to explain decisions, give their views on the game ... it's an important part of management if you ask me.

If we have language barriers then something is going to have to change somewhere.

Darren Bent was interviewed midweek and said one of the main problems with Ramos was the language barrier. Said he was a top manager but just couldn't get his view across properly.

Redknapp has came in and had a one to one with every player in English and look at their last few results.

No excuse or sympathy on the language issue .. he is paid mega bucks, I'm sure he could be learning English every day if it was really vital.

If his English is causing him problems (and I'm much more concerned about his ability to communicate with the squad than the media, TBH), I absolutely agree he should be having daily lessons. England have noticeably kicked on since Capello's English got an awful lot better; and your point about Ramos and Redknapp is clearly correct too.

I have to say though, Frail was perfectly honest and open with the press last season, and we still gave him pelters - and while the world's best managers (notably Mourinho) know exactly how to play the media, and the importance of pre-match press conferences and mind games, the vast majority of managers in the UK still produce a bunch of cliched pap and sweet nothings most of the time.

I dont think its wrong for us to give him a chance to do the talking on the pitch?

I for one will certainly continue to do so but I will not be fooled by anything other than results so cut the krap Csaba ;)

That's entirely fair comment, Jabba.

An honest view?

personally i think it is cringeworthy listening to him. Assuming the players in the changing room are of the same view most like me will either switch off or end up in a hypnotic trance. No wonder we toil to win the players are nodding off before they play.

I think people didn't mind his rambling when ultimately he got to a point which people agreed with. At the start he did talk at length, however, the point was usually there.

Now he just rambles and talks p*sh!

When he first arrived he talked a decent game, however, his actions have not really backed up what he said. I think there is probably just a realisation, for many people, that this is the same old.

Not his fault, but he may bear the brunt of many peoples frustrartions due to the absence of others, who are probably more deserving of the criticism.

And hopefully we will not let him disguise this fact !

Heart of the Matter
Assuming the players in the changing room are of the same view most like me will either switch off or end up in a hypnotic trance. No wonder we toil to win the players are nodding off before they play.

Might explain why we lose so may early goals!

Care to elaborate? Robbo has personal discipline problems too, of course - but Csaba? Incidentally, if we'd thrown people forward after Zaliukas was sent off yesterday, we might well have been humped 4 or 5-0 - which would've made the already fragile morale in the dressing room even worse. Most non-OF sides play defensively home and away against the uglies: we are both no better than any of them, and don't have the personnel to play 4-4-2 either. Meaning the problem lies further above, as ever.

He's got personal discipline issues - he's about to get a 2 match ban for them!

I don't know if you were at the game yesterday. It was a craven capitulation, directed by Laszlo. No effort to get back in the game - an insult to the supporters.

This is what Roy Keane sent to me after Saturday's defeat - a proper manager:

The referee told me not to come out to the dug-out in the second half - so I don't know if it was a sending off.

I was disappointed with the third goal' date=' I thought it was a foul on Pascal Chimbonda in the build-up and that was a hammer-blow. I'm not saying that we would have come back and won 3-2, but it was a difficult one.

When you are playing against one of the big teams, all you want is a bit of fairness and we did not get that today.

Chelsea were outstanding and there is no shame in losing to a top team like that. I thought my players kept going. When you are 5-0 down with 35 minutes to go and Drogba is warming up you think, 'I wish someone would fast-forward the clock'.

I've never had a problem in my career praising the opposition and I'm quite happy doing that today.

Could we have played better? Yes. Could we have avoided one or two of the goals? Yes. But that's football, players make mistakes.

When you are chasing the ball for a long time you get tired, physically and mentally, and you make mistakes.

I started with Martyn Waghorn up front because he is a really good player. He must love me! He got his first start against [Manchester'] United and his second against Chelsea.

These young players have earned the right to play for Sunderland, one hundred per cent. I thought Waggy did well in the first half. The way we performed at

Stoke, I thought today was an ideal opportunity to get them [the young players] involved. They will be the better for it.

I know what Chelsea are all about, I've played against some of these players, I fancy them to win the league.

We went with the two up front but I don't think any system today would have worked, we were up against a top, top team. They are class players. We always take responsibility for defeat, no one more so than myself and I will do that.

They have got good movement, good pace and that's why they are playing for Chelsea and that's why they will be winning titles and European cups over the next few years.

I've played for managers who are quite happy throwing young players in and I was comfortable with it today.

I wouldn't say I'm happy, but I'm not as angry as after the Stoke game. I'm very relaxed, it's been a tough start to the season, Chelsea would beat most teams coming here.

There's no shame in losing here. I'll sleep quite well tonight.

Thanks for your support,

Really? We got our maanger from the footballing backwater of managing in Uganda and he rambles a load of nonsense, there is a surprise. But then there was no one in Scotland, England, or Europe good enough to be boss at HMFC. Or was that nae one wanted the job of being another Vald puppet

Really? We got our maanger from the footballing backwater of managing in Uganda and he rambles a load of nonsense, there is a surprise. But then there was no one in Scotland, England, or Europe good enough to be boss at HMFC. Or was that nae one wanted the job of being another Vald puppet

We can only hope that being new to Scottish football Csaba did not wish to be too revolutionary when he came in - after all he only got to bring in 2 players and only one of them was defo his choice. I HOPE that he agreed to stick with 4-5-1 for first half season on basis that Hearts are a work in progress and it is better to change things slowly than too quickly and risk Romanov's reactionary impetuosity hitting him when it is not really his squad.

I'm prepared to give Lazlo more time. He is working under constraints at the moment but IMO he has us playing better than his predecessors with this creppy, predictable and negative system...

I think csaba hands are tied to be honest having to juggle the menacing of Korbachajob and romanov.

he is beggining to sound like this guy though

07-minister_thumb.jpg

We can only hope that being new to Scottish football Csaba did not wish to be too revolutionary when he came in - after all he only got to bring in 2 players and only one of them was defo his choice. I HOPE that he agreed to stick with 4-5-1 for first half season on basis that Hearts are a work in progress and it is better to change things slowly than too quickly and risk Romanov's reactionary impetuosity hitting him when it is not really his squad.

I'm prepared to give Lazlo more time. He is working under constraints at the moment but IMO he has us playing better than his predecessors with this creppy, predictable and negative system...

I agree he needs more time Spellczech but is the manager deciding what formation to play really that revolutionary ?

He deserves to see out the january window and beyond to see who signs and what effect they will have on the team. If it is more of the same then he should go.

Out of interest SC, who do you think's picking the team? Vlad, Korobochka, Cervenkov, Csaba... or a combination of all four?

An honest view?

It takes one to know one....

"Ah yes Mr Spiers, but you are ****!"

As far as I'm concerned the honeymoon is over for Csaba. His tactics are wrong. His selections and his substitutions are wrong (if indeed they are his alone).

"Heart and soul of Edinburgh??" Frankly we've had the heart and soul ripped out of our club and the Manager has to take responsibilty.

Does any one STILL think that Romanov has stopped interfering?

We're getting the p*sh ripped out of us and I despair to come up with a plan than can stop it all.

Originally Posted by Roy Keane

The referee told me not to come out to the dug-out in the second half - so I don't know if it was a sending off.

I was disappointed with the third goal, I thought it was a foul on Pascal Chimbonda in the build-up and that was a hammer-blow. I'm not saying that we would have come back and won 3-2, but it was a difficult one.

When you are playing against one of the big teams, all you want is a bit of fairness and we did not get that today.

Chelsea were outstanding and there is no shame in losing to a top team like that. I thought my players kept going. When you are 5-0 down with 35 minutes to go and Drogba is warming up you think, 'I wish someone would fast-forward the clock'.I've never had a problem in my career praising the opposition and I'm quite happy doing that today.

Could we have played better? Yes. Could we have avoided one or two of the goals? Yes. But that's football, players make mistakes.

When you are chasing the ball for a long time you get tired, physically and mentally, and you make mistakes.

I started with Martyn Waghorn up front because he is a really good player. He must love me! He got his first start against [Manchester] United and his second against Chelsea.

These young players have earned the right to play for Sunderland, one hundred per cent. I thought Waggy did well in the first half. The way we performed at

Stoke, I thought today was an ideal opportunity to get them [the young players] involved. They will be the better for it.

I know what Chelsea are all about, I've played against some of these players, I fancy them to win the league.

We went with the two up front but I don't think any system today would have worked, we were up against a top, top team. They are class players. We always take responsibility for defeat, no one more so than myself and I will do that.

They have got good movement, good pace and that's why they are playing for Chelsea and that's why they will be winning titles and European cups over the next few years.

I've played for managers who are quite happy throwing young players in and I was comfortable with it today.

I wouldn't say I'm happy, but I'm not as angry as after the Stoke game. I'm very relaxed, it's been a tough start to the season, Chelsea would beat most teams coming here.

There's no shame in losing here. I'll sleep quite well tonight.

Thanks for your support,

:)When you are 5-0 down with 35 minutes to go and Drogba is warming up you think, Oh bugger do farts have lumps in them??

:)

It is looking more and more like Csaba is nowt but an armchair manager.

Says all the right things but on the pitch he fails to impress.

i don't give a monkeys if the poor old press pack aren't happy with what csaba does or doesn't say. the media are, or should be, mere interested onlookers regarding football. the game doesn't revolve around the media, the game wouldn't grind to a shuddering halt if the media didn't write their articles. what the media expect csaba to be is of no consequence. the only important thing is that csaba can communicate his thoughts and ideas to his players, and i imagine he is able to do this just fine on the training ground.

should csaba work on becoming easier to understand for the benefit of the media? no. should csaba become someone he is not to suit the media? no. should csaba take the attitude that the media can find him as he is and either take it ot leave it? very much yes.

An honest view?

Let's see Spiers conduct an interview in German or Hungarian. I'm sure he'll deliver in the Germanic equivalent of the Queens English

There's seems to be a willingness to throw the baby out the bath water here.........

Yesterday was poor. The game was a damp squib after their 2nd goal and the sending off made it even worse. But 2-0 home defeat to celtic, while unpleasant, is nothing to get upset about. This month is key we have 4 winnable games in a row....9 points from 12 and we would be 3rd.

I'm prepared to give Csaba more time. His formations and substitutions, tactics etc are far better than last year IMO....if he had more resources up front our chances of "suksis" would increase immeasurably.....but we have what we have.....I'm keeping the faith.....for now

Archived