Stoke City - Long throw in's - anti football?

3inaBednar

Hopefully Robbie will be back in the near future to give us this option.

Would require some of our players to put the effort in to get on the end of the throw though ...

Just watched the highlights of Stoke v Arsenal - both Stoke goals came from Rory Delap HANDHOOFING the ball into the box and somebody getting a touch intae the net. Now they have scored a few other goals using this HANDHOOF method in a few other games this season.

I believe this is anti football and not in the 'spirit' of what is meant to be a beautiful game of passing and skill. Do others believe this is an acceptable means of scoring goals or are you purists like me and want to see 'proper' goals!

I hate HANDHOOF!:mad:

Without needing to read another post on this thread, this is clearly a wind up!

Buffalo Bill

King of the North

It would be nice if every team was pinging the ball about on the deck like Brazil 70.

However, if I was a Stoke fan whose team had just beaten Arsenal, I wouldn't care how the goals were scored, or indeed who scored them.

Silly thread.

I don't want to see my team making pretty passes around the midfield. I want to see my team win. My team will win if they score more goals than the opposition. They will (statistically) score more goals if they get the ball in the opposition's penalty box more often. They will concede less if they stop the other team getting the ball in their box. Tactics therefore are, attempt to win every ball, if you fail then make sure the player cannot get the ball in the box. If you win, get the ball down the pitch as quickly as possible and into the opponents penalty box. This may be anti-football, but I don't really care if my team wins matches.

BTW, I don't propose this as Shabba's new tactical policy, but I can see the logic behind it, especially when up against more skillfully superior opponents.

I stated on a thread years ago, we were totally ineffective with his throw-ins. You struggle to remember any goals that came off them. pressley in a cup tie once. all you can say was he was slightly more accurate at throwing than his dreadful crossing. BTW I am not a Robbie Hater.

Nope, I don't.

Try Rudi's goal in the 2006 Cup Final.

Long throw from Robbie on to big Janny's heid, down to Rudi to blast past Alan Main.:)

It would be great if every team had a squad full of talented players who played flowing, entertaining football. Unfortunately not every team has the players or resources to do this. Would I settle for Hearts winning 1-0 every week from goals from long throws if we won the league - yes!!

Wimbedon used to get the same stick for their route 1 football but it was succesful and suited their players. Hearts used to get stick when Sandy Clark played for us. I never understood this for two reasons. Firstly we had plenty skillful and creative players - JC, Robbo, Ian Jardine, MacKay. But also we had in Levien and Sandy Jardine two of the best ball playing centre halves in Scotland. They werent aimlessly booting the ball upfield they were picking big Sandy out. If a player passes a ball 40 yards onto a player toe its applauded but if he makes a pinpoint 40 yard pass onto a players head its hoofball????

The hobo comment was below the belt - apologies!

Which city are you from, by the way?

:) No offence taken my good man. Sheffield.

Are you mad - I like winning football matches!!!

This was our tactic with Neilson.

You score more goals when you put the ball into the box.

Well said Sir!Get well soon Robbie.

If you have an effective weapon, use it. The "beauty" of the game has less to do with entrancing, goal-scoring moves than with the absolute cruelty with which they can be answered.

Defend it as a free-kick, everyone back but the get out, men on the post,etc.

Nullify that threat from Stoke, and they will struggle. I think this will play out over the season.

Rory Delapp, though,:cool:.

are we that crap that we need a HANDHOOF just to create a chance or some excitement, get the baw doon and play man!

YES, we are that crap.

Have you not seen us play?

Just watched the highlights of Stoke v Arsenal - both Stoke goals came from Rory Delap HANDHOOFING the ball into the box and somebody getting a touch intae the net. Now they have scored a few other goals using this HANDHOOF method in a few other games this season.

I believe this is anti football and not in the 'spirit' of what is meant to be a beautiful game of passing and skill. Do others believe this is an acceptable means of scoring goals or are you purists like me and want to see 'proper' goals!

I hate HANDHOOF!:mad:

If it works, use it - **** the spirit of the game if it prevents you from winning games

but it's so crap to watch, god even the bloody stoke crowd were going oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo as he runs up to HANDHOOF it into the box, it's almost like a bloomin rugby lineout! Imagine all the teams in the SPL had two long throwers and every and i mean every throw in is HANDHOOFED into the box, that to me would meant the death of football in Scotland, it's only just alive the now!

Ban HANDHOOF now!

p.s I hate the NEILSON HANDHOOF'S, are we that crap that we need a HANDHOOF just to create a chance or some excitement, get the baw doon and play man!

Aye, Ban Corners while were at it !!!!! :rolleyes:

You look like you're desperate for the term "handhoof" to enter the popular vocabulary.

It's not going to happen mate.

:rolleyes:

Exactly what I was going to post.

:laugh:

I love how people are bigging up Neilsons throws too.

He went through a wee spell in 05 where he had those accurate low fast long throws, which were very good. Other than that, since then its been slow looping ones which are all too easy to defend imo.

At first I thought the OP was on the wind-up, poking gentle fun at the Leith Aesthetic boys, but now I'm not so sure.

On the off chance he(?) was being serious, surely the whole point is that football is about a whole range of skills and there's nothing wrong with being the best in the world at any of them (e.g. throw-ins).

but it's so crap to watch, god even the bloody stoke crowd were going oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo as he runs up to HANDHOOF it into the box, it's almost like a bloomin rugby lineout! Imagine all the teams in the SPL had two long throwers and every and i mean every throw in is HANDHOOFED into the box, that to me would meant the death of football in Scotland, it's only just alive the now!

Ban HANDHOOF now!

p.s I hate the NEILSON HANDHOOF'S, are we that crap that we need a HANDHOOF just to create a chance or some excitement, get the baw doon and play man!

You will be wanting the ball not allowed above head height rule next!

Archived