Calum Elliott

Broxburn_Jambo

I have to say that Calum's goalscoring stats with Livvy are impressive. So were Dennis Wyness's with ICT before he came to us!

If Elliot continues to score goals for Livingston then I think he has earned the right for one final chance at Hearts. No one player suffered more from the turmoil at Hearts over the past few seasons than Calum Elliot. Some young players require more stability than others in order to develop, Elliot in my opinion was very sensitive to the instability at the club and this severely impacted his development.

I saw enough potential in Calum in season 2005/6 to suggest he could still become a good player for our football club. His contribution that season should not be overlooked, he was the only striker to start all of the 4 goal victories against Hibs and his form that season had some in the press suggesting he was one of the brightest young talents in Britain. Jankauskis, who has played with some top class young players in his career, even suggested Elliot was one of the best young players he had played with.

People are saying 'found his level' etc, but how many goals would you expect Ksanavicius for example to score in the first division?

Toxteth O'Grady
Templeton is probably more deserving of some first team opportunities at this moment in time and Husband as well - Glen needs to start doing his talking on the pitch either in U19, reserves or first team to show he is the player he is capable of being.

Glen did his talking on the pitch at the end of last season but that has been ignored by the new manager, maybe that is affecting his form.

I haven't seen Templeton recently but from what I remember he doesn't look the sort to bang in lots of goals, Husband doesn't look like a prolific scorer either.

We are in desperate need of a penalty box finisher, we have missed 2 fairly simple chances to win matches late on in the last 2 games. Glen would probably have stuck at least one of them away.

Charlie-Brown
I have to say that Calum's goalscoring stats with Livvy are impressive. So were Dennis Wyness's with ICT before he came to us!

Dennis Wyness isn't a great player but the guy has played most of his career in the SPL which suggests he is an SPL standard player although his goalscoring was more prolific when ICT were in the divisions below.

portobellojambo1
Dennis Wyness isn't a great player but the guy has played most of his career in the SPL which suggests he is an SPL standard player although his goalscoring was more prolific when ICT were in the divisions below.

Probably a bad comparison to use CB. Wyness in his time at ICT scored over 100 goals while they were in the lower divisions, since playing at SPL level (the last 5 years) his total goals are 25 (average 5 per season), which is not what I would class as SPL standard as far as a decent striker is concerned.

Charlie-Brown
Glen did his talking on the pitch at the end of last season but that has been ignored by the new manager, maybe that is affecting his form.

I haven't seen Templeton recently but from what I remember he doesn't look the sort to bang in lots of goals, Husband doesn't look like a prolific scorer either.

We are in desperate need of a penalty box finisher, we have missed 2 fairly simple chances to win matches late on in the last 2 games. Glen would probably have stuck at least one of them away.

That doesn't make sense - we should play Glen even though he's not showing any form just now yet he should play before 2 young guys who are doing their best to force their way into the reckoning? What kind of selection merit is that?

The U19 & Reserves is the perfect forum for Glen to force his way back into contention.

Charlie-Brown
Probably a bad comparison to use CB. Wyness in his time at ICT scored over 100 goals while they were in the lower divisions, since playing at SPL level (the last 5 years) his total goals are 25 (average 5 per season), which is not what I would class as SPL standard as far as a decent striker is concerned.

I agree PJ1 but he obviously contributes enough to keep himself in the employ of SPL clubs and feature in matchday squads on a fairly regular basis, if that doesn't make him SPL standard then what does?

Toxteth O'Grady
That doesn't make sense - we should play Glen even though he's not showing any form just now yet he should play before 2 young guys who are doing their best to force their way into the reckoning? What kind of selection merit is that?

The U19 & Reserves is the perfect forum for Glen to force his way back into contention.

Gary Glen has already shown that he can score goals in the first team that is good enough for me.

I don't care what they do in reserves, it is what a player does playing in Hearts first team that counts.

Are you really saying that a player has to be great in the reserves before they get a chance?

Gary Glen has already shown that he can score goals in the first team that is good enough for me.

I don't care what they do in reserves, it is what a player does playing in Hearts first team that counts.

Are you really saying that a player has to be great in the reserves before they get a chance?

Glen should not have to try a leg at training or for the reserves and he should just walk straight in the team.

Think there is more to this than on the park football reasons. It seems rather strange for a young player who made such an impact at the end of last term to be so far out of the picture. Big time when you couple that with us struggling to find the net.

Toxteth O'Grady
Glen should not have to try a leg at training or for the reserves and he should just walk straight in the team.

He should have kept his place at the start of the season

Toxteth O'Grady
Think there is more to this than on the park football reasons. It seems rather strange for a young player who made such an impact at the end of last term to be so far out of the picture. Big time when you couple that with us struggling to find the net.

Spot on Gig, Glen has been dropped for playing well and scoring goals while others with little form of scoring goals (Mole and Wee Audrey) are selected.

That sort of selection policy does not make sense to me.

Spot on Gig, Glen has been dropped for playing well and scoring goals while others with little form of scoring goals (Mole and Wee Audrey) are selected.

That sort of selection policy does not make sense to me.

Thing is though, if Glen has stopped the hard work and changed his attitude to the one that got him noticed at the end of the year - it put's Csaba is a difficult position.

Not saying the above is what has happened, but something has gone on behind the scenes.

Toxteth O'Grady
Thing is though, if Glen has stopped the hard work and changed his attitude to the one that got him noticed at the end of the year - it put's Csaba is a difficult position.

Not saying the above is what has happened, but something has gone on behind the scenes.

Whatever it is our so called manager should manage the situation to get the best out of him.

Perhaps a chance in the first team would give him the required boost:)

Whatever it is our so called manager should manage the situation to get the best out of him.

Perhaps a chance in the first team would give him the required boost:)

Who knows. Who is to say though that Glen is not listening to what he is being told.

Levein tried on many occcasions to get through to Paul McMulen. End result was McMullen thought he knew best and drifted down the leagues.

Charlie-Brown
He should have kept his place at the start of the season

Gary Glen started the first 3 games of this season v Glentoran, Dunfy & in Germany.

Toxteth O'Grady
Gary Glen started the first 3 games of this season v Glentoran, Dunfy & in Germany.

Fair enough, I was on holiday then so din't pay alot of attention to pre season.

All I know is that he was a decent player for us at the end of last season and merits a place in the team more than people like wee Audrey who was a one game wonder for us last season.

Whatever the reason for his dip in form should be sorted out by the management, who knows they might have actually caused the problem in the first place.

I heard from a decent source that Glen was selected for the first team for an away match this season (Falkirk IIRC) but was later excluded from the squad at the last minute, treatment like that does no good whatsover to young players.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Who knows. Who is to say though that Glen is not listening to what he is being told.

Levein tried on many occcasions to get through to Paul McMulen. End result was McMullen thought he knew best and drifted down the leagues.

I was convinced McMullan was the next Naysmith. :mad:

Levein never took any crap from youngsters though to be fair. I'm not sure if thats a weakness or a strength because two great prospects (McMullan and Janczyk) both fell by the wayside.

Would hate to see that happen to Glen.

Was this daft thread not done last time that useless erse scored a goal. Just because someone scores for fun in the 1st Division does NOT make him the answer to our prayers in the SPL, remember Denis Wyness?

If Livi come up and Calum Elliot is still there, and even if he ends up Division 1 top scorer this season, I will confidently predict that he scores zero goals next season. First Division is his level end of story, and as for Jamie Mole I reckon Second or even Third - and no joke there, he is utterly feckin mince.

In short Elliot is NOT the answer - (unless the question is 'who is the most useless heap of shet ever to play for Hearts before Mole inexplicably got his shot at the first team' of course).

If Elliot continues to rebuild his confidence I would make space in the Hearts squad for him after January by returning Ksnavicius to Kaunas.

Does anyone think that Ksnavicius is a better player and more worthy of a squad place?

Drogba and Torres would struggle playing on their own in this team. To play with one up front, you need to have quality around you. We dont have it in any area of the field.

No point in thinking about Elliot playing on his own in this team. As a second striker he might have a chance

Levein never took any crap from youngsters though to be fair. I'm not sure if thats a weakness or a strength because two great prospects (McMullan and Janczyk) both fell by the wayside.

McMullan is now playing Juniors for Glenafton Athletic - about 5 years after delivering a MOTM performance as an 18/9YO against celtic - always thought he looked excellent and thought he would make it, very sad to see how far he has fallen.

Generic Username
If Elliot continues to rebuild his confidence I would make space in the Hearts squad for him after January by returning Ksnavicius to Kaunas.

Does anyone think that Ksnavicius is a better player and more worthy of a squad place?

You're asking us to pick the lesser of two evils mate.

Why not horse them both out the door and off the wage bill and bring in someone of a much higher calibre.

That'd be the preferable option, one that probably won't come to fruition but still, the preferable option.

Charlie-Brown
McMullan is now playing Juniors for Glenafton Athletic - about 5 years after delivering a MOTM performance as an 18/9YO against celtic - always thought he looked excellent and thought he would make it, very sad to see how far he has fallen.

McMullan's ability was never in question - maybe he wasn't going to be a top SPL player but he was a decent enough player and if he can't even get a game for any Scottish League team then it must be entirely down to attitude.

Joe Hamill too imo, after the rangers game in particular i was sure he'd be a star then he just seemed to go backwards.

No no no, Elliot had countless chances and failed to impress with any of them. Mole scored a belter a few weeks back, this does not mean we should continue to play him when he clearly cant cut it at this level, just now anyway. Bringing back Elliot would just be desperate. We need someone new, wait and give Tullberg a decent chance, give Makela the last 20 mins instead of Mole every week. Playing Nade on his own for 70 mins then replacing him with Jamie isnt working. We lack quality all over the park at the moment and the only way we will improve is to bring in new faces.

You're asking us to pick the lesser of two evils mate.

Why not horse them both out the door and off the wage bill and bring in someone of a much higher calibre.

That'd be the preferable option, one that probably won't come to fruition but still, the preferable option.

I agree. But I don't have any confidence that anyone in the management committee/favoured agents can bring in a player to improve the squad.

So improve the team and squad by ridding the lessers of the evils. Zaliukas out, pansy Karipidis into centre back. Ksnavicius out and Elliot into the squad.

Leveins man management of young talent was appalling.

If Thomson, Brown and Riordan had been at Hearts he would have bumped them.

He stuck with the yes men like Sloan and Hammil - enough said!

No no no, Elliot had countless chances and failed to impress with any of them. Mole scored a belter a few weeks back, this does not mean we should continue to play him when he clearly cant cut it at this level, just now anyway. Bringing back Elliot would just be desperate. We need someone new, wait and give Tullberg a decent chance, give Makela the last 20 mins instead of Mole every week. Playing Nade on his own for 70 mins then replacing him with Jamie isnt working. We lack quality all over the park at the moment and the only way we will improve is to bring in new faces.

Agreed!!!

Bringing back Mole from being a total failure at Q of S was a disgrace rather than desperate!!!

Maroon Mayhem
hopefully that's true cos I think he'll be back in January, and previous pesh aside, if he's screwed the nut & got his confidence back then he may well prove us all wrong. hope so.

How long before we batter that confidence right back out of him?

The thing is, some players more than others are confidence players, Elliot is one of them.

If he was to score 25 goals for Livi and go to a championship club next season, he would have a honeymoon period where their fans would be willing to give him a month or so to find his form. Let's face it, we all get excited at a new signing and will him to do well.

If he came back to us, the first bad touch, the first miss the fans get on his back and we're left with.........CLUM!

For him to stand any sort of chance he needs to be left at Livi for the year to grow and develop, bringing him back in Jan will be no good at all. I feel however, Hearts aren't the club where the lad will do well.

Punt Mole to Livingston in Jan and get Clum back ;)

The first 2 words - correct

The rest of it - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Elliott's had enough chances with us and not taken them. It's time to get rid of him, and if he then goes on to make a decent career for himself at first division level (which is the best that he can hope for, in my opinion) then good luck to him.

heartsgroupie
3 in 6 would suggest he's found his level

7 in 6 suggests he's playing below his level

i think he needs to be given a chance:)

maybe if the fans get behind him?

Archived