Calum Elliott

Broxburn_Jambo

Broxburn_Jambo

Given Hearts weren't playing today I took the opportunity to go and watch Livingston V Morton. Livingston won 1-0 because of a magnificent goal from Elliott. From fully 25 yards on the half volley he smashed one into the top corner, it was a brilliant goal, the stadium announcer said at the time "ladies and gentleman you won't see a better goal than that" and he was right.

Not just the goal but his overall performance was good, he was lively, always making runs, set up his fellow striker with a good pass that should have resulted in a goal and got about the park well defending when he had too.

I know the standard is lower in the first division but he seems to have his confidence back and given the woeful form of our strikers in particular Mole, Elliott must be brought back in January.

Given Hearts weren't playing today I took the opportunity to go and watch Livingston V Morton. Livingston won 1-0 because of a magnificent goal from Elliott. From fully 25 yards on the half volley he smashed one into the top corner, it was a brilliant goal, the stadium announcer said at the time "ladies and gentleman you won't see a better goal than that" and he was right.

Not just the goal but his overall performance was good, he was lively, always making runs, set up his fellow striker with a good pass that should have resulted in a goal and got about the park well defending when he had too.

I know the standard is lower in the first division but he seems to

have his confidence back and given the woeful form of our strikers in particular Mole, Elliott must be brought back in January.

Found his level IMO. Get a shiny new poacher for Xmas and leave Elliot till the end of the season to really get some first team fitbaw under his belt. Imagine we brought him back in January first game has a mare??The fans would be back giving it the usual Elliot GTF

Broxburn_Jambo
Found his level IMO. Get a shiny new poacher for Xmas and leave Elliot till the end of the season to really get some first team fitbaw under his belt. Imagine we brought him back in January first game has a mare??The fans would be back giving it the usual Elliot GTF

But he is clearly better than Mole. If we are unable to sign a new striker in January then he has to be brought back.

I know the standard is lower in the first division but he seems to have his confidence back and given the woeful form of our strikers in particular Mole, Elliott must be brought back in January.

I can't comment on his present form as i've not seen him since he went to Livvy but if he is playing well then good luck to the boy.I'm still not sure it was just a confidence thing last season as his performances were rank.Maybe,as others have said,he has found his level.Let's not forget that Mole scored a screamer earlier in the season but his game,at the moment,is similar to Elliot's last season.

I would love both these players banging in the goals at Hearts but it ain't gonna happen i'm afraid.

That goal would have graced any league.

I remember watching my mate play for Redpath Albion, and seeing one of his team mates score a gem of a goal. That goal would have graced any league.

As for Elliot, I am pleased for the kid, I hope he does well, I do not want him back at Hearts.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
I remember watching my mate play for Redpath Albion, and seeing one of his team mates score a gem of a goal. That goal would have graced any league.

As for Elliot, I am pleased for the kid, I hope he does well, I do not want him back at Hearts.

I used to play for Redpath so that was probably me. ;)

Broxburn_Jambo
I can't comment on his present form as i've not seen him since he went to Livvy but if he is playing well then good luck to the boy.I'm still not sure it was just a confidence thing last season as his performances were rank.Maybe,as others have said,he has found his level.Let's not forget that Mole scored a screamer earlier in the season but his game,at the moment,is similar to Elliot's last season.

I would love both these players banging in the goals at Hearts but it ain't gonna happen i'm afraid.

I actually thought Mole's goal was a bit of a goalkeeping error but Elliott is scoring on a regular basis now, too often last season he was played wide right or up front on his own which is not his game. Don't forget Mole didn't exactly free score in the first division. I just think Elliott deserves 1 more chance and based on current form i think he merits it.

I actually thought Mole's goal was a bit of a goalkeeping error but Elliott is scoring on a regular basis now, too often last season he was played wide right or up front on his own which is not his game. Don't forget Mole didn't exactly free score in the first division. I just think Elliott deserves 1 more chance and based on current form i think he merits it.

I would agree with that,mate,in the knowledge that we are not exactly blessed with an abundance of goalscorers at the minute.Would he be able to raise his game to SPL level and,more importantly,be given the support/chance?

chester copperpot

I once scored an overhead kick in the Uni leagues playing for Napier once. The defender who was marking me said 'That was a cracker for a tall lanky (used to be a lot skinnier) ****.

Point is, the sun shine's on a dogs arse some day, doesn't make him any better.

In saying that, I'd put JM and CE on a par, so would probably have him back with the JT's in Jan, but hopefully these 3 or 4 players will include 2 strikers, an attacking midfielder, 2 full backs, another centre half and maybe a goalie.

You do the maths.

But he is clearly better than Mole. If we are unable to sign a new striker in January then he has to be brought back.

agree 100%

I once scored an overhead kick in the Uni leagues playing for Napier once. The defender who was marking me said 'That was a cracker for a tall lanky (used to be a lot skinnier) ****.

In saying that, I'd put JM and CE on a par, so would probably have him back with the JT's in Jan, but hopefully these 3 or 4 players will include 2 strikers, an attacking midfielder, 2 full backs, another centre half and maybe a goalie.

You do the maths.

Did you score 7 in 6 though?

3 in 6 would suggest he's found his level

7 in 6 suggests he's playing below his level

hopefully that's true cos I think he'll be back in January, and previous pesh aside, if he's screwed the nut & got his confidence back then he may well prove us all wrong. hope so.

chester copperpot
Did you score 7 in 6 though?

I actually scored 15 in 12 games that season, getting called to go for trials with the Scottish Uni's team. Also won top scorer for the 1st's that year.

Didn't get in as I wasn't mobile enough. :sad: (They were right though).

Especially when Mole got 0 in 12 at the same level with the same team.

I actually scored 15 in 12 games that season, getting called to go for trials with the Scottish Uni's team. Also won top scorer for the 1st's that year.

Didn't get in as I wasn't mobile enough. :sad: (They were right though).

Sounds impressive, what about 7 in 6?

Was it at a professional level like Elliot has done?

I would agree with you Brox. Elliott's biggest problems last year were a combination of confidence and trying too hard. IMHO Elliott was and still is a better finisher than Mole and a better all round player than Mole.

I'd also add that there isn't as huge a gulf in standard between many of the teams in the upper half of the 1st division and a number of the smaller teams in the SPL.

So yes, he deserves 1 more chance and if Lazlo grants him that chance I hope the kid gets the support he deserves.

chester copperpot
Sounds impressive, what about 7 in 6?

Was it at a professional level like Elliot has done?

Of course not, I'm just being a fud. :)

3 of Elliot's 4 goals last season were very good. All 3 were because he hit the ball early and instinctively - why? because the lad's brain isn't quick enough to think about what he is doing. He has some natural talent but over the course of 3 seasons I've seen that he hasn't got enough to make it at top end of the SPL...

chester copperpot
Thought so ;)

I still cherish that plastic trophy for top goal scorer. You've just demeaned it now. :sad:;)

The People's Chimp

You do the maths.

If this thread is a chance to list our goal scoring achievements I've a few rakers to recount from my time as a striker for Hamilton Alkies in the Aberceen uni intra mural leagues, plus a 35 yard wonder goal on the turning volley as a ringer for "chicken kiev" (bunch of whanks). If you want to hear any more get back to me.

I still cherish that plastic trophy for top goal scorer. You've just demeaned it now. :sad:;)

It's important to put a (realistic) mental value on it, it's a shame you overvalued your trophy!

If this thread is a chance to list our goal scoring achievements I've a few rakers to recount from my time as a striker for Hamilton Alkies in the Aberceen uni intra mural leagues, plus a 35 yard wonder goal on the turning volley as a ringer for "chicken kiev" (bunch of whanks). If you want to hear any more get back to me.

Well I want some Kudos too then.

In April 1996 I was sub goalie for a Sunday amateur outfit called Gotham City. Injury to our main striker after using our other 2 subs saw me pitched on up front for 40 minutes at Craigmount. I promptly bagged a brace (a togie for 20 yards and a equally impressive togie from about 20cm after a goalmouth scramble) in what to date is my only appearance outwith the sticks in a competitive amateur match.

Thank you.

Back on topic, if Elliott carries on scoring I'd be delighted if he came back in January. Twice the player Mole is.

If he keeps scoring like that...............

I hope we sell him for some decent moolah in january.

He's done well for himself at livi. I cant see him wanting to come back to hearts, the 1st devision suits him very well.

Dont get me wrong i still think he's Pish..

Looks like Elliot is getting his confidence back and scoring goals, 7 in 6 is pretty decent form even if it is the First Division where there is barely any difference between the likes of Dunfermilne etc and most of the lower SPL teams. He deserves a chance under a proper manager and with the fans off his back, lets see what he can do. Twice the player Mole is, the ability is there lets just see if he can get his head screwed on and fufill his potential. Also these fans who just insist on giving him abuse as much as possible are just idiots.

Recall Csaba said he was in the press last week.

Drylaw Hearts

CE may have found his but if his goalscoring form continues then I do think he deserves one more chance before we ditch him.

He's a better player than Jamie Mole thats for sure.

I think he may have to turn to Sunday Football to 'find' his level :

football.jpg

scoring 7 goals in 6 games shows his ability is beyond the 1st division

So let me get this right.

When Elliot played for us and we were up the top end of the table, he was not scoring enough. When he played for us and we were a bottom six team he was not scoring enough, he went on loan to Motherwell, where if I am not mistaken, he did not score enough. He finally drops a league and scores 7 in 6 and is instantly good enough for another chance.

This thread smacks of desperation.

Charlie-Brown

One young striker scores 7 in 6 at first team level and still gets criticism, another young striker hasn't done anthing of note in the SPL reserves this season, has hardly scored and been subbed off yet many people still want him in the first team asap .....

Drylaw Hearts
One young striker scores 7 in 6 at first team level and still gets criticism, another young striker hasn't done anthing of note in the SPL reserves this season, has hardly scored and been subbed off yet many people still want him in the first team asap .....

Off topic......

Why the reincarnation of Charlie Brown ?

What is Gary Glens FIRST TEAM appearance to goals stats?

Charlie-Brown
Off topic......

Why the reincarnation of Charlie Brown ?

No particular reason DH I just preferred CB to NMH and since I subscribed I asked Dexter if I could change back. :)

portobellojambo1

It's not rocket science to state that players can perform when they find their level, and in Calum Elliot's case he appears to have found his. If he is actually enjoying his football now (and as a striker scoring goals one has to assume he is) I think he would be loathe to come back to HMFC in January, and I do not think he would be the answer to our problems (he was part of the problem when he was here, he wasn't scoring goals).

Charlie-Brown
What is Gary Glens FIRST TEAM appearance to goals stats?

You could ask the same about Juho Makela however the point is that if you asked any neutral observor which of our young strikers was currently showing better form at a higher level and doing more to progress a first team career at this moment in time the answer would have to be Elliot cos Glen has did very little so far this season at any level.

I think Glen has the potential to be much better than Elliot or Mole but he's not showing it this season.

Toxteth O'Grady
You could ask the same about Juho Makela however the point is that if you asked any neutral observor which of our young strikers was currently showing better form at a higher level and doing more to progress a first team career at this moment in time the answer would have to be Elliot cos Glen has did very little so far this season at any level.

I think Glen has the potential to be much better than Elliot or Mole but he's not showing it this season.

I think the reason people want to see Glen given a chance again is due to his form in the first team. He got into good positions and didn't run around like a headless chicken, and he converted a few of his chances.

Perhaps we are saying that Glen is more able to handle the pressures of playing in the first team in front of a large crowd, Elliott and Mole however seem to let the occasion get the better of them and bottle many of their chances.

I take your point that he hasn't been doing much in reserves but maybe a chance in the first team again would give him a lift?

Who knows but given our current lack of goals from strikers Csaba could do worse than give Glen a chance.

I have always quite liked Elliott and thought he had potential to be a very good SPL striker, I dont think he is your typical goalscoring striker but reckon he would be a very good team player for 10 goals a season also

He isnt a winger and he isnt a lone striker

He likes to get the ball, hold it up and run it to the 6 yard by line and try and create from there

Over the last 3 seasons his confidence has gone for what can only be described as a disgusting level of abuse from his own support and I doubt he will want to come back and if he does he will experience the same arseholes- people CB refers to who are quite happy to soak their pants over the enigma of a junior footballer that is branny yet will abuse a proven player.

I think he definitly needs to stay at livi all season - far too soon and the abuse wouldnt be forgotten but come next summer if he can keep this up all season he must be given a chance in the first team playing to his strengths.

I also agree that makela needs to be given a chance up front - yes he doesnt look a great player but he is right in himself that he does score goals

If he can score us 15 goals a season and not do anything else I would be happy

Glen has done very little as he has not been selected this season. As for Makela, he would play before Mole for me. Whilst he has an awful touch and it does seem that he won't make it, we have little option up top.

As for Elliot, we don't need to look at his form in a lesser league, we have very recent results for him playing for US on a regular basis, he played a good few games for us earlier this year, and spectacularly failed. In turn, Glen came in and played three and scored two (IIRC). I would also ask why we ignore the loan period at Motherwell? A lesser club in the same league as us and he was awful there too? Honestly, it amazes me how some on here ignore so much and cling to so little.

I think Glen has the potential to be much better than Elliot or Mole but he has not been given a chance to show it this season.

Charlie-Brown
I think the reason people want to see Glen given a chance again is due to his form in the first team. He got into good positions and didn't run around like a headless chicken, and he converted a few of his chances.

Perhaps we are saying that Glen is more able to handle the pressures of playing in the first team in front of a large crowd, Elliott and Mole however seem to let the occasion get the better of them and bottle many of their chances.

I take your point that he hasn't been doing much in reserves but maybe a chance in the first team again would give him a lift?

Who knows but given our current lack of goals from strikers Csaba could do worse than give Glen a chance.

Templeton is probably more deserving of some first team opportunities at this moment in time and Husband as well - Glen needs to start doing his talking on the pitch either in U19, reserves or first team to show he is the player he is capable of being.

Templeton is probably more deserving of some first team opportunities at this moment in time and Husband as well - Glen needs to start doing his talking on the pitch either in U19, reserves or first team to show he is the player he is capable of being.

why?

Templeton had a good few months at raith and by the end they wanted rid of him, he couldnt put up with the physical side and was a one trick pony.

Yes he is doing ok in the reserves but so have a lot of players who now play lower league and junior football

As talented as Templeton is I dont think he is going to become a regular first team player for us.

Husband on the other hand should be given a chance ASAP. despite only being 17 he has been brillant for our youths and reserves since he first signed and seems to get better and better. Dont see the harm in starting to give him, rapnik or mcgowan 10-15 mins now and again. Its how you discover footballers. Not smothering them to death in pishy reserve leagues before giving them a loan deal at a crap third division club

Archived