Rangers warned over 'Famine song'

Victorian

Guest S.U.S.S.
Yep, no problem with that - but it should all be uniquely our own stuff that we should be singing.

Can you please list all the songs that are Hearts and only Hearts songs so we know.

maroonlegions

Rangers warned over 'Famine song'

Police have warned Rangers fans over offensive chanting

Rangers fans were warned they could face arrest if they chanted the 'Famine song' during the Co-operative Insurance Cup quarter-final against Hamilton.

Police issued the warning before Tuesday's cup tie at Ibrox, but the chant was not heard during the game.

The Famine Song refers to events that killed an estimated one million people in the 1840s and led to a mass migration from Ireland.

Rangers have asked their fans to refrain from singing the song.

Speaking before the game, BBC Scotland's football correspondent Chick Young said: "I understand that Strathclyde Police put out a warning to Rangers fans tonight that anyone caught singing the Famine song may be arrested.

"Rangers have told the police they will co-operate with them in this matter. This is a very pro-active decision by the police."

Earlier this week, the Scottish FA president George Peat also urged fans not to sing the song, which includes the line: "The famine's over, why don't you go home."

Sections of the Rangers support were heard singing it during last Saturday's 3-1 league victory away to Hamilton Accies.

Peat said the SFA was determined to help eradicate offensive chanting from SPL grounds, adding that he intended to hold talks with the Scottish Premier League and police on the issue.

I wonder if they will go through with arresting any Rankgers fans if they sing it?, could be hundreds singing it , what are they going to do then , wade into the crowd and pull bodies out.:rolleyes: None of our fans better sing it on Sunday though.:eek:

maroonlegions
Is there a place called Peebles on Mars? ;)

you asked for this:107years:;)

When Mars was covered in lakes

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Planet Mars

Mars

The large amount of water on Mars billions of years ago meant chances of life were very strong, scientists claimed on Wednesday.

Water filled thousands of craters and coursed through channels more than 4km (2.5 miles) beneath the surface, latest images reveal.

And, where there's water, there's a very real possibility of life;) ? albeit bacterial :107years:? said scientists.

New images revealing a lake bigger than 70,000 Wembley football pitches have also got them excited. 'What does this mean for habit*ability? It is very strong,' said planetary geologist John Mustard.

'It was not this hot, boiling cauldron. It was a benign, water-rich environment for a long time.'

Evidence of water on Mars has been growing in the past few years.

Between 4.6 and 3.8billion years ago, it played a big part in making minerals on the Red Planet.

These clay minerals were formed at moderate temperatures of bet*ween 100?C and 200?C (210?F-390?F) ? an important clue to whether there was once life there.

As well as underground, there was a lake bigger than 490 sq km (190 sq miles) in the Jezero crater, said Bethany Ehlmann from Browns University, Rhode Island.

Rivers carried minerals into the deltas and the torrents ? which also shaped rocks on Mars ? were *intense, said scientists in the latest edition of Nature magazine.;)

coatbridgejambo
We should sing anything we want on Sunday ****** them!!

yip ..what ever happend freedom of speach?

chester copperpot
IS there not a Star Trek forum you can post on?

Feck off.

I have just cried at that response, Thats an absolute cracker.

Watched the Killie v Sellick game last night.

You'd have to be deaf not to have heard the loudest rendition of Hullo Hullo by the Killie fans - at least three times.

:eek:

Was it just not Rnagers fans who were barred from singing this due to the "fenian blood" reference. Unless I've missed something I see no problem with Hearts fans singing this so long as the offending words are omitted.

Good stuff. I wonder if they'll manager to lift the majority of Section G.

Section G - Do they still go to matches? Been half empty all season.

MacDonald Jardine
Can you please list all the songs that are Hearts and only Hearts songs so we know.

The Hearts song.

The European song.

Possibly "His name is Drew Busby"

Three songs forever more?

The Hearts song.

The European song.

I cringe when we sing the European song when we aint that good and europe is no possiblity....

The Hearts song.

The European song.

The Drew Busby song should be banned, its references to the glorification of Alcohol is deplorable.

"drinks all yer whiskey and Newcastle Brown"

Alcohol is a much greater scourge of society than sectarianism; it kills tens of thousands people every year - a massively bigger national problem than sectarianism.

:rolleyes:

Maybe it?s just me, but does anyone else think that the Hearts Europe song is one of our most fantastic songs? Not controversial, unique, different, uniting and uplifting. We should sing it as much as we can..... much more than any other song.

The Real Maroonblood
The Hearts song.

The European song.

Is that the one "Busby blitz."

I take it that if songs about the Irish potato famine are now banned, that this will see an end to "The Fields of Anthenry" being belted out over the public address system at Celtic Park with it's racist anti British connertations - QUOTE]

Easily offended brigade alert.

I take it that if songs about the Irish potato famine are now banned' date=' that this will see an end to "The Fields of Anthenry" being belted out over the public address system at Celtic Park with it's racist anti British connertations - QUOTE]

Easily offended brigade alert.

Nope - just feel that "sauce for the goose - should also be sauce for the gander".

The Hearts song.

The European song.

European Song will probably be the next to go to be honest.

All those references to hating Hibs and them making us spew up...... its simply not on.....

Guest S.U.S.S.
Maybe it?s just me, but does anyone else think that the Hearts Europe song is one of our most fantastic songs? Not controversial, unique, different, uniting and uplifting. We should sing it as much as we can..... much more than any other song.

I agree its a great song, but in reality can we sing it again, will we ger europe again any time soon?

I agree its a great song, but in reality can we sing it again, will we ger europe again any time soon?

If we win on Sunday we could be back in the European spot :)

Guest S.U.S.S.
If we win on Sunday we could be back in the European spot :)

And do you seriously believe that come the end of the season we will still be there? Luck to get top 6 imo.

And do you seriously believe that come the end of the season we will still be there? Luck to get top 6 imo.

We're stinking but fortunately so are the rest of the challengers for third. If we can find the consistency to play like we did against Hibs on a weekly basis we'll be there or thereabouts.

Big if mind.

Guest S.U.S.S.
We're stinking but fortunately so are the rest of the challengers for third. If we can find the consistency to play like we did against Hibs on a weekly basis we'll be there or thereabouts.

Big if mind.

Hope ur right, just cant see it, we are gash at the mo, still, will still get up at the weekend believeing we will murder em.

PS that may have something to do with the bevy! :)

It is football. A group of fans chanting to another group about them going home to the country half of them wished they came from ?

Not exactly a big deal IMO.

I take it you haven't heard the original version then? ;) To the best of my knowledge they've never actually sung it yet but it's more 'offensive' than what they currently sing.

I take it you haven't heard the original version then? ;) To the best of my knowledge they've never actually sung it yet but it's more 'offensive' than what they currently sing.

Nope - only ever heard the one I saw on TV. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that one IMO. Anything that gets Celtic fans peed off and acting the the little innocent victims is great im my opinion. They are always going to act this way. Other teams just take advantage of their false sensitivity.Who cares what team is doing it.

See to be honest, I couldnt care what words are in the original. The more offensive the better.

The more offensive the songs are that they sing, the more right we have to "judge" the type of people they are.

Can you imagine if Rangers fans DIDNT sing the famine song and such like..... or if the Tic fans didnt bleat on about the IRA..... or if the Hibee's never chose to show their class with Wallace Mercer songs and such like...... or if the codheed's stopped embarrassing themselves with stupid bog roll displays and harking on about how great a club they once were.....

What reason would we have to hate them? What would we have to judge them on?

We'll always need reasons to "hate" other supporters. Singing vile songs is just another reason to hate them. Nothing more, nothing less.

Archived