Rangers warned over 'Famine song'

Victorian

Rangers have been told by police that their fans risk arrest if they continue to sing the famine song. Rangers notified their fans via their website yesterday, making it clear that the decision to arrest came from the police and not the club.

Some reaction regarding this:

One of the fans' representatives David Edgar reckons Rangers are being "victimised" by the police.

The club have decided to state that they believe they are being "singled out" as usual because similar acts of anti-social behaviour at football can be seen from "others", "all around the country".

Meanwhile SFA chief George Peat has been "urging" Rangers fans not to sing the song in the future.

So...... Rangers being victimised for their fans singing racist and distasteful songs? Rangers entitled to point to everyone else when finally confronted about their fans' steadfast refusal to abide by the laws of the land?

Rangers have been told by police that their fans risk arrest if they continue to sing the famine song. Rangers notified their fans via their website yesterday, making it clear that the decision to arrest came from the police and not the club.

One of the fans' representatives David Edgar reckons Rangers are being "victimised" by the police.

The club have decided to state that they believe they are being "singled out" as usual because similar acts of anti-social behaviour at football can be seen from "others", "all around the country".

Meanwhile SFA chief George Peat has been "urging" Rangers fans not to sing the song in the future.

So...... Rangers being victimised for their fans singing racist and distasteful songs? Rangers entitled to point to everyone else when finally confronted about their fans' steadfast refusal to abide by the laws of the land?

Awwwwwwwwe the poor wee souls:rolleyes:

I wonder how many Hearts fans will be lifted this weekend for singing it to the Irish potato deserters.

I'll be singing but won't get caught :)

This action taken yesterday by Strathclyde police is unprescedednted (unless you are a visiting fan to either the OF of course) and certainly opens a can of worms as to what fans sing and is considered illegal/provactive/offending etc etc.

Wonder what the scottish courts would make of this and how many cases would atually go to court.

Interesting times ahead in the footballing sing song world methinks.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Did he not mention the glorifying of terrorist organisations from the other side of Glasgow? guess thats ok then.

Both are almost as bad as each other.

I'll be singing but won't get caught :)

Good stuff. I wonder if they'll manager to lift the majority of Section G.

I just have this horrible feeling that the various forces of darkness that blight our game are setting us up.

It was obvious when Celtic persuaded the SFA to instigate a minutes silence at Hampden in the cup game against us, that there would be a "negative" reaction from some Hearts supporters.

Many on JKB have said that they believe that it will be Hearts that are first, and more than likely the only club that the SFA/SPL/Police et all can and will punish. They cannot and will not corner themselves into having to deduct points from either of the ugly sisters. Can you really imagine both clubs being deducted 10 points? Neither can I, but Hearts? It is likely to be a "Go on fill your boots".

Desperately sad but unfortunately an all too familiar scenario.

Paranoid? Not me, I am just a realist.

chester copperpot

I personally think this song is a joke.

If Rangers want to sing it to a group of fans who want to associate themselves with horrible individuals who support the IRA, then whats the harm.

Celtic fans sing the national anthem of R.O.I, and many of them have never even been on a stenaline to Ireland.

Ach I better stop before I get in trouble. My wee lad's very ill, i've got better things to worry about.

This whole issue is a load of absolute plums. Neither the SFA nor the police have any intention of taking any action against fans of either of the Old Firm. The evidence is there for them to take action. The evidence has been there for years. The evidence will present itself for years to come.

These half-hearted warnings will be made every now and then, from now until doomsday comes, but nothing will be done.

It is boring.

If Rangers want to sing it to a group of fans who want to associate themselves with horrible individuals who support the IRA, then whats the harm.

Celtic fans sing the national anthem of R.O.I, and many of them have never even been on a stenaline to Ireland.

Ach I better stop before I get in trouble. My wee lad's very ill, i've got better things to worry about.

Get well soon Wee Chester:)

If the police are to wade in and arrest anyone singing a banned song we will end up with riots being commonplace.I think that some of the offended brigade need a reality check.

I wonder who Donald Finlay will get to represent him :rolleyes:

The sash and no surrender will not be on this "list";)

Doctor FinnBarr

Hope the wee yin gets better soon Ches.:)

I get the feeling that we will have the book thrown at us come monday morning

Especially for Hello Hello

as per usual the GFA cant upset the uglies so therefore will punish us.

Guarenteed.

We should sing anything we want on Sunday ****** them!!

Doctor FinnBarr

Did anyone happen to hear Bernard Ponsonby reporting on this on Scotland Today? He happened to mention that "these songs" were heard in grounds up and down Scotland whilst conveniently forgeting to mention that it was normally when the Ugly Sisters came to visit that they were heard!

:eek:

i imagine the famine song has been singled out because it's got racist conotations, rather than sectarian. i believe it's illegal to mock someone because of their race but not illegal to mock someone because of their faith.

as someone said, in reality there will be very little action, if any, taken by police. it's just an effort to try to stamp it out.

what tends to mash my potato is that, instead of just accepting the slap on the heid, rangers and their supporters organisations immediately circle the wagons and try to deflect the attention elsewhere.

perhaps it's a habit they picked up from the other lot.

chester copperpot
i imagine the famine song has been singled out because it's got racist conotations, rather than sectarian. i believe it's illegal to mock someone because of their race but not illegal to mock someone because of their faith.

as someone said, in reality there will be very little action, if any, taken by police. it's just an effort to try to stamp it out.

what tends to mash my potato is that, instead of just accepting the slap on the heid, rangers and their supporters organisations immediately circle the wagons and try to deflect the attention elsewhere.

perhaps it's a habit they picked up from the other lot.

:rofl:

As a catholic hearts supporter, I hate Celtic, I hate their association with the IRA, I hate the fact that their 'Scottish' supporters associate themselves with R.O.I.

Therefor I dont find the song offensive.

Well I will take a chance and belt out Hello Hello with venom on Sunday, let's get right in about these tattie munchin plastic paddy faced *****

chester copperpot
Well I will take a chance and belt out Hello Hello with venom on Sunday, let's get right in about these tattie munchin plastic paddy faced *****

Amen to that (within reason ;))

So...... Rangers being victimised for their fans singing racist and distasteful songs? Rangers entitled to point to everyone else when finally confronted about their fans' steadfast refusal to abide by the laws of the land?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely nothing wrong with this. It is not even approaching racist.

If the police are to wade in and arrest anyone singing a banned song we will end up with riots being commonplace.

This argument for inaction is often trotted out. Not only is it a total cop out, but it is absolute nonsense.

I do not, for one second, believe that the police could not make arrests without sparking riots. If that is the case, the policing needs to be improved. If the police suspect that large number of people are going to indulge in behaviour they deem to be illegal, then they need to prepare properly for it.

No action is taken by the police, or the footballing authorities, because neither has the will to do it.

I just have this horrible feeling that the various forces of darkness that blight our game are setting us up.

It was obvious when Celtic persuaded the SFA to instigate a minutes silence at Hampden in the cup game against us, that there would be a "negative" reaction from some Hearts supporters.

Many on JKB have said that they believe that it will be Hearts that are first, and more than likely the only club that the SFA/SPL/Police et all can and will punish. They cannot and will not corner themselves into having to deduct points from either of the ugly sisters. Can you really imagine both clubs being deducted 10 points? Neither can I, but Hearts? It is likely to be a "Go on fill your boots".

Desperately sad but unfortunately an all too familiar scenario.

Paranoid? Not me, I am just a realist.

feel exactly the same, i can just imagine the papers on monday morning. we'll be hung drawn, fined and points deducted by noon :eek:

Can all the lads who are proposing to sing it on Sunday please promise not to say a word on JKB about their getting arrested being unfair, no gripes about the press coverage or the points deductions. I can't be ersed reading all of your whining, when you clearly know what will happen.

Celtic have beeen chanting IRA songs today.

I expect a good few days front page news about it. :rolleyes:

hmmm? you'll need to be quick to publish your own paper then.

we all know who's going to be first to feel the collar being felt.

feel exactly the same, i can just imagine the papers on monday morning. we'll be hung drawn, fined and points deducted by noon :eek:

we don't need to be if we don't play into their hands . Lets concentrate on the fitba and leave this nonsense to the feeble minded bigots from the west.

Anyone who sings the famine song or any anti Irish / catholic chants is asking for trouble. Only it won,t be them personally, that gets into bother hiding in a crowd ,it will be the club that gets clobbered and the whole of the Hearts support that will be branded bigotted boneheads. The sfa , weegie media and press and lets not forget rangers fc would love it ,keegan style , if we fell into this trap on sunday. Lets not give them the satisfaction. we are better than that shower ....I hope!

Jam Tarts 1874
we don't need to be if we don't play into their hands . Lets concentrate on the fitba and leave this nonsense to the feeble minded bigots from the west.

Anyone who sings the famine song or any anti Irish / catholic chants is asking for trouble. Only it won,t be them personally, that gets into bother hiding in a crowd ,it will be the club that gets clobbered and the whole of the Hearts support that will be branded bigotted boneheads. The sfa , weegie media and press and lets not forget rangers fc would love it ,keegan style , if we fell into this trap on sunday. Lets not give them the satisfaction. we are better than that shower ....I hope!

Unfortunately some Hearts fans who will have spent too much time in the boozer (or the TARDIS to the 1970's) will react as soon as the Celtic fans do some "oh ah up the RA". Every game against Celtic leads to the same behaviour.

Celtic have beeen chanting IRA songs today.

I expect a good few days front page news about it. :rolleyes:

I watched some of the game tonight and am completely confused as the songs that TGFITW sing.

I recognised about 5% of them and had nae clue as to the others. I also found that I could not hear / understand the words to pretty much any of them.

Is it just me or have these self proclaimed "saints" been singing these for years or is this a more recent manifestation.

They must surely have the most "unique" football songs of any club in the UK

I take it that if songs about the Irish potato famine are now banned, that this will see an end to "The Fields of Anthenry" being belted out over the public address system at Celtic Park with it's racist anti British connertations - or will songs such as this be ignored as being quaint "folk songs".

It always seems to me that the bile and intolerance that infest huge swaiths of the Celtic supporter is studiously ignored by the media and politicians here.

Little or nothing is ever said about the continuing chants about terrorists organisations that we hear on every occasion these people appear at Tynecastle.

Its a slippery slope for all of us if this is true. Any "offended" fan complains enough (after their team gets beaten maybe?) and it seems like they can kick up a **** storm in the media and the club/fans in question could face punishment on and off the park.

Guest Dipped Flake

I hope that Hearts do get in trouble if our 'fans' sing this song, or any of the other loyalist crap. Maybe, just maybe, us getting fined or losing points might finally convince these people that they are not wanted at Tynecastle. If that is the case the fine/points loss would be well worth it.

I hope that Hearts do get in trouble if our 'fans' sing this song, or any of the other loyalist crap. Maybe, just maybe, us getting fined or losing points might finally convince these people that they are not wanted at Tynecastle. If that is the case the fine/points loss would be well worth it.

Don't you think that the police arresting them and the club banning them / removing their season tickets would be preferable to us losing points or being fined?

Guest Dipped Flake
Don't you think that the police arresting them and the club banning them / removing their season tickets would be preferable to us losing points or being fined?

of course it would be

If songs are sung and folk get lifted - it wont bother me, so long as its the same law applied to EVERYONE.

If headlines are made on Monday morning - it wont bother me, so long as the headlines apply to ALL concerned.

If fines are applied - it wont bother me, so long as they are applies to ALL clubs concerned.

If points are deducted - it wont bother me, so long as they are deducted from ALL guilty clubs and continue to be deducted for each instance of breach.

Basically - so long as Hearts are not singled out in something for which its clear they are not the only ones responsible, I wont be too bothered.

Personally, I think that we should be above all this nonsense - we have a proud heritage of our own that we should be singing about.

Let the West Coast bigots get on with their own wee world of famine, terrorists and intolerance. With Remembrance Sunday almost on us we should be remember that have have club heritage that is second to none - and that is what we should be singing about and celebrating.

It is football. A group of fans chanting to another group about them going home to the country half of them wished they came from ?

Not exactly a big deal IMO.

How about we just sing lots of songs on Sunday ? Some 'good'. Some a little bit 'naughty' but not illegal. All of them loud.

Call me crazy but I though that was what football was all about….

It is football. A group of fans chanting to another group about them going home to the country half of them wished they came from ?

How about we just sing lots of songs on Sunday ? Some 'good'. Some a little bit 'naughty' but not illegal. All of them loud.

Call me crazy but I though that was what football was all about….

Yep, no problem with that - but it should all be uniquely our own stuff that we should be singing.

If we al sang a song that goes along the line of

"west coast biggots, your only west coast biggots west coast biiigotssssssssss!

would they all get arrested!

Guest JamboRobbo

Call me crazy but I though that was what football was all about?.

doh........And I thought it was about putting the ball into the net more times than the opposition.....:P

Yep, no problem with that - but it should all be uniquely our own stuff that we should be singing.

Can I ask why ? There is no set rule for how long you have to sing a song before it becomes 'your own'. Bit of a grey area IMO.

I would imagine a massive amount of football songs have a tune or words copied from somwhere else ?

Anyway as long as they are loud, not illegal, and we win - I don't care. :)

doh........And I thought it was about putting the ball into the net more times than the opposition.....:P

Fair enough - that is rather important sometimes. :)

You may want to inform Nade and Mole on this aspect of the game...:rolleyes:

Can I ask why ? There is no set rule for how long you have to sing a song before it becomes 'your own'. Bit of a grey area IMO.

I would imagine a massive amount of football songs have a tune or words copied from somwhere else ?

Anyway as long as they are loud, not illegal, and we win - I don't care. :)

Personal opinion of course - but I have always felt it was just a bit boring copying some of the nonsense that comes out of Ibrox (in particular). Over the years we've always been capable of coming up with our own songs and chants. That's a tradition I hope continues and we just don't parrot other clubs.

As longs as it's loud, not illegal, we win I don't care either.

If songs are sung and folk get lifted - it wont bother me, so long as its the same law applied to EVERYONE.

If headlines are made on Monday morning - it wont bother me, so long as the headlines apply to ALL concerned.

If fines are applied - it wont bother me, so long as they are applies to ALL clubs concerned.

If points are deducted - it wont bother me, so long as they are deducted from ALL guilty clubs and continue to be deducted for each instance of breach.

Basically - so long as Hearts are not singled out in something for which its clear they are not the only ones responsible, I wont be too bothered.

Watched the Killie v Sellick game last night.

You'd have to be deaf not to have heard the loudest rendition of Hullo Hullo by the Killie fans - at least three times.

:eek:

Archived