hello t'internet people, lets have a Muse v Oasis fred

BlackJAC?

Which band do you think is better?

Considering the amount of coverage Oasis get compared to Muse, the media et al would have us all believing Oasis were/are the best British band we've had in the last 15 or so years. However, imo this isn't entirely true as Muse are just vastly superior in every department i.e. superior albums, superior live performances and superior musicians. Add to that their front man isn't a total ramjet of the highest order, you're then left with a bunch of musicians that can probably lay claim to being the best band to come out of the UK since The Clash.

Don't get me wrong Oasis have some fantastic material such as Supersonic, it's just Muse have 7 or 8 such songs on every album.

Plug In Baby:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=99I7gpswhQ4&feature=related

Map of the Problematique:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Lofaq2UhE&NR=1

Time is running out:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7I4_9Y_BDdU&feature=channel

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

that can probably lay claim to being the best band to come out of the UK since The Clash.

Wrong!

Blur, Oasis, Libertines, Arctic Monkeys can all safely say they are better bands than Muse.

I think Muse are decent but nothing special.

I respect Muse as a decent band, and musically they probably are a better band. They simply dont have that raw "ballsy" sound that captured the souls of so many millions of Oasis fans. Oasis is a lifestyle, muse is something poofs put in their hair.

that can probably lay claim to being the best band to come out of the UK since The Clash.

Wrong!

Blur, Oasis, Libertines, Arctic Monkeys can all safely say they are better bands than Muse.

I was just about to tell you that you make a fair point, then...

I respect Muse as a decent band, and musically they probably are a better band. They simply dont have that raw "ballsy" sound that captured the souls of so many millions of Oasis fans. Oasis is a lifestyle, muse is something poofs put in their hair.

True. Some would argue they helped in no small way to create the ned culture.

True. Some would argue they helped in no small way to create the ned culture.

True, some might say*. However I would argue thats a direct indication of the failure in the education and court systems - Soft Scotland indeed.

*See what i did there?

I understand why Muse are talked of as a truly great band. However, I just cannot get into them as much as I'd like no matter how much I've tried - funnily enough, same goes with The Clash.

Think Black Holes And Revelations is a good album but I'd rather listen to most Oasis albums anyday of the week. For me the list would go:

Definitely Maybe

(What's The Story) Morning Glory

Be Here Now

The Masterplan

Black Holes And Revelations

Dig Out Your Soul

Don't Believe The Truth

Standing on The Shoulders of Giants

Absolution

Heathen Chemistry

Origin of Symmetry

Showbizz

True, some might say*. However I would argue thats a direct indication of the failure in the education and court systems - Soft Scotland indeed.

*See what i did there?

1-0 to Craigy Boy. :( I'm not ashamed to admit getting owned, just don't do it again.

MUSE? seriously havent really heard of them,

since iam goin to see oasis on Tuesday and the 16th of June, i'll be bias and say oasis :D:)

Muse seem to punt out mostly original stuff.

The last few oasis albums are a bit well ...samey.

So muse just.:):):)

Wrong!

Bang on Mr partridge, good stadium band but for the kiddie winkles and pretend goths ;)

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I quite like Muse but Oasis are definitely a better band IMO. Better albums by far - Oasis could have had 4 **** hot albums if they didn't include so many belters as B-sides (Listen Up, Fade Away, Rockin Chair, The Masterplan etc)

Oasis struggle at times nowadays live, but between 1993 and 1999 they were immense as below.

Glad I was in my mid to late teens when Oasis were at their peak - great times :P

no lets not.

it will just be oasis fans Vs muse fans regardless of the music!!

I think you're wrong. I like both of them.

But I prefer Oasis.

No I don't I prefer Muse.

Stop talking sheit, Oasis are much better.

What do you know you damn fool, Muse pure rock.

Apologies, jambosim, you were right all along.

The best band to be produced from the UK in the last 15 or so years are Radiohead without a doubt.

They're still producing top material and are in a completely different league to the rest mentioned on this thread.

Patrick Bateman
The best band to be produced from the UK in the last 15 or so years are Radiohead without a doubt.

They're still producing top material and are in a completely different league to the rest mentioned on this thread.

:bravo:

No doubt you'll get people who haven't listened to Radiohead dismissing them as "depressing" or "whingers" - I've seen all three live (Oasis once, Radiohead 3 times, Muse 4 times) and I'd say Radiohead are by far and away the best. The Bends is 13 years old and it still sounds like it could have been released today.

Muse, one of my all time favourite bands and completely unrivaled live. Their gigs are truely awesome.

Like Oasis too and it is hard to compare both as they are doing two very different things. Personally I massively prefer muse though.

As for radiohead... RADIOHEAD!? are you serious!? the most depressing, dull, whinging, look-at-us-we-are-creative-and-inventive-toffs-but-actually-we-just-make-droning noise pish I've ever heard! radiohead are *****in terrible.

Patrick Bateman
Muse, one of my all time favourite bands and completely unrivaled live. Their gigs are truely awesome.

Like Oasis too and it is hard to compare both as they are doing two very different things. Personally I massively prefer muse though.

As for radiohead... RADIOHEAD!? are you serious!? the most depressing, dull, whinging, look-at-us-we-are-creative-and-inventive-toffs-but-actually-we-just-make-droning noise pish I've ever heard! radiohead are *****in terrible.

Muse = Radiohead Lite.

Whilst I think The Bends album is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated, I do think Radioheads last album [in rainbows] was a masterpiece. Tremendous band on their day.

Patrick Bateman

From Muse's "Endlessly"

there's a part in me you'll never know

the only thing I'll never show

hopelessly I'll love you endlessly

hopelessly I'll give you everything

but I won't give you up

I won't let you down

and I won't leave you falling

If the moment ever comes

It's plain to see it's trying to speak

cherished dreams forever asleep

but I won't give you up

I won't let you down

if the moment ever comes

Aye, because it's just Radiohead who are depressing right enough.

From Muse's "Endlessly"

there's a part in me you'll never know

the only thing I'll never show

but I won't give you up

I won't let you down

If the moment ever comes

It's plain to see it's trying to speak

cherished dreams forever asleep

but I won't give you up

I won't let you down

if the moment ever comes

Aye, because it's just Radiohead who are depressing right enough.

Picking one song doesn't really prove anything other than most bands have one or two depressing songs. There's no getting away from it, Radiohead tend to write a larger number of dark moody songs compared to most bands. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, after all, it's what they do and it's what they do best, so I don't see why people feel the need to defend them when others simply point out that fact.

Patrick Bateman
Picking one song doesn't really prove anything other than most bands have one or two depressing songs. There's no getting away from it, Radiohead tend to write a larger number of dark moody songs compared to most bands. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, after all, it's what they do and it's what they do best, so I don't see why people feel the need to defend them when others simply point out that fact.

I didn't dispute that Radiohead's songs *can* be dark, but it's silly for someone to attack them for it then praise another band who do the same thing. I'd also add that people who attack Radiohead for being "depressing" probably haven't heard their more uplifting/cheery songs.

chester copperpot

Oasis are a superb band.

Muse are a great band.

Therefor, my word is final, Oasis are miles better than Muse.

I like both to an extreme, but to compare Muse to Oasis is just musical naivity. Cheers.

For the record, the new Oasis album is just superb now, never had an album grow on me the way it has the last few weeks.

Oasis used to be great and they still have the ability to knock out very decent singles but their albums have become a bit samey and I bore of them quite quickly nowadays.

Muse are, and have been, in my top 5 bands for the last 5 years or so, so I say the winners are Muse.

Oasis would fecking annihilate them in a scrap though.

Oasis have some good tacks but are doing the same thing they did years ago

Muse consistantly put out new things.. And they rock..

Also - The lead singer of muse is not some jumpped up idiot who thinks he's the son of God.. Liam is such a tool.. Noel is a little better.. But so bloody full of himself!

so what you're saying is Mole is more talented than Pele? I really can't recall the last decent album oasis released after 'What's the story'. Apart from two or three songs on 'Be here now', Oasis have toiled to release a decent album. Coupled with the fact Liam is now totally **** at singing (unless he's changed his style again), so basically when you scratch the surface Oasis are no more than a one man band at this moment in time.

Edit: The above paragraph is a total mess and I can't be arsed sorting it, so deal with it. :/

so what you're saying is Mole is more talented than Pele? I really can't recall the last decent album oasis released after 'What's the story'. Apart from two or three songs on 'Be here now', Oasis have toiled to release a decent album. Coupled with the fact Liam is now totally **** at singing (unless he's changed his style again), so basically when you scratch the surface Oasis are no more than a one man band at this moment in time.

Edit: The above paragraph is a total mess and I can't be arsed sorting it, so deal with it. :/

Truelly great bands capture a generation. Oasis are in that small number.

Sergio Garcia

One debate that really is all down to musical tastes and preferences and therefore we have to find another way to define who is the best.

I love Oasis.

My mates loves Muse

I am never going agree with him that Muse are the better band and he will never agree with me.

But stats of album sales and gig sales all point towards Oasis. as does exposure and being the sound of the nation for a period.

Plus you never really hear Muse sung badly on a karoake but you do hear Oasis, which proves Oasis will be remembered for years to come by most of the country, Muse will only be remembered by their fans!!!!

So oasis rule!!!

Although if it was Ocean Colour Scene on the otherhand.....

Truelly great bands capture a generation. Oasis are in that small number.

that maybe so, but the pele/mole analogy was rather ****. Music wise it's a matter of taste, subjective etc. Footballing analogy wise, well, you don't really need me to point out the obvious.

that maybe so, but the pele/mole analogy was rather ****. Music wise it's a matter of taste, subjective etc. Footballing analogy wise, well, you don't really need me to point out the obvious.

Of course, i was merely being sarcastic at the obviously terrible analogy.

Also, this 'truly great bands capture a generation" logic doesn't exactly define which bands are great and which are not. Both The Spice Girls and Take That defined a generation so would you class them along with the likes of Radiohead, Muse, Oasis or The stone Roses? After all, they were more successful than 3 of those bands.

A Boy Named Crow

Why choose? Get The Cooper Temple Clause's dubut album (See This Though And Leave) and there you have the best of both worlds. A lot of the clever musical experimentation of Muse with the guitars and screaming front man of Oasis. TCTC - they'll be missed!

Also, this 'truly great bands capture a generation" logic doesn't exactly define which bands are great and which are not. Both The Spice Girls and Take That defined a generation so would you class them along with the likes of Radiohead, Muse, Oasis or The stone Roses? After all, they were more successful than 3 of those bands.

Don't quite know what you mean by that, Definitely Maybe was released in '94. Spice girls had there first number one in '96 - id class that as the same generation?

Im not a huge fan of either band. Saw Oasis at Glastonbury in 95 and Irvine Beach, and have seen Muse at T.

Oasis were a breath of fresh air when they arrived on the "scene" with the attitude and , at that time, the tunes to carry it.

Muse have always been about the music, the songs and more importantly, the musicianship. They have a mainstay of 3 top quality virtuoso musicians, not guys brought in to do as they are told by Noel. Was it Bonehead who was told by Noel he would be out of the band if he ever caught him playing anything but bar chords?

For me it has to be Muse, they go about their business and produce good, artistic music. Not everyones cup of tea, but far superior musically than Oasis.

Oasis, to me, are becoming a huge myth. I'm gonna sound like an old fart now but, if you're younger, you "have" to be into Oasis. It's a bit like the Emporers New Clothes, if I dont like them I wont be "cool".

Musically, they've exhausted what they produce. They now sounds tired, ploddy even, there's nothing musically ground breaking there to keep anyones interest apart from the "followers" who cant hear a bad word said against them.

The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, they have tried to imitate them all.

They've still got guys like The Dave Clark Five to parody yet, let's see how that goes.

Why choose? Get The Cooper Temple Clause's dubut album (See This Though And Leave) and there you have the best of both worlds. A lot of the clever musical experimentation of Muse with the guitars and screaming front man of Oasis. TCTC - they'll be missed!

You are having a laugh.

Cooper Temple Clause were absolutely gash.

Right up there with Idlewild.

Don't quite know what you mean by that, Definitely Maybe was released in '94. Spice girls had there first number one in '96 - id class that as the same generation?

Did you have to go and check that little fact or did you ... ahem ... just happen to know that? :P

Bands/artists like The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Madonna, Prince etc have captured a generation/s, not Oasis. Hell, I'd say Metallica **** all over Oasis in that respect too.

I'd class Oasis in the same category as The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays. Ok, maybe that's a little bit unfair.

Did you have to go and check that little fact or did you ... ahem ... just happen to know that? :P

Bands/artists like The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Madonna, Prince etc have captured a generation/s, not Oasis. Hell, I'd say Metallica **** all over Oasis in that respect too.

I'd class Oasis in the same category as The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays. Ok, maybe that's a little bit unfair.

I just checked the dates on the back of my cd's:p Oasis are the band of the 1990s.

Im not a huge fan of either band. Saw Oasis at Glastonbury in 95 and Irvine Beach, and have seen Muse at T.

Oasis were a breath of fresh air when they arrived on the "scene" with the attitude and , at that time, the tunes to carry it.

Muse have always been about the music, the songs and more importantly, the musicianship. They have a mainstay of 3 top quality virtuoso musicians, not guys brought in to do as they are told by Noel. Was it Bonehead who was told by Noel he would be out of the band if he ever caught him playing anything but bar chords?

For me it has to be Muse, they go about their business and produce good, artistic music. Not everyones cup of tea, but far superior musically than Oasis.

Oasis, to me, are becoming a huge myth. I'm gonna sound like an old fart now but, if you're younger, you "have" to be into Oasis. It's a bit like the Emporers New Clothes, if I dont like them I wont be "cool".

Musically, they've exhausted what they produce. They now sounds tired, ploddy even, there's nothing musically ground breaking there to keep anyones interest apart from the "followers" who cant hear a bad word said against them.

The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, they have tried to imitate them all.

They've still got guys like The Dave Clark Five to parody yet, let's see how that goes.

Fantastic post.

I think the same holds true for most bands/artists. Most bands tend to struggle after 3 or 4 albums as songwriters start to exhaust their creativity and their material starts to sound all samey or they just simply release half hearted pish, like Metallica for example. First 3 albums were superb, released Justice For All and whilst it was still a decent album, it was obvious most of the songs on the album were simply fillers or were a step back compared to their previous albums.

Noel was never going to sustain his initial high standards and this was glaringly obvious when they released Be Here Now. Two or three belters with the rest being nothing we hadn’t heard before. Don’t get me wrong, it was a better album than most bands could produce in their entire career, but it was a lame effort by oasis standards.

Up to now, Muse have released 3 albums (not counting the b side effort) all completely different, yet they’ve maintained a very high standard throughout all 3. If they manage to pull it off for a 4th time, then they’ll have succeeded where Oasis failed. However, I personally think they've already gone one better than Oasis because like I said, Oasis have only produced 2 1/2 top drawer albums whereas Muse have produced 3 superb (full) albums.

A Boy Named Crow
You are having a laugh.

Cooper Temple Clause were absolutely gash.

Right up there with Idlewild.

What? Cooper Temple Clause were nothing like Idlewild. Roddy Woomble's faux-American accent, coupled with a "repeat until it means something" attitude to lyrics made Idlewild one of my most hated bands when I was at uni. Cooper temple Clause just did really decent loud music.

***As a wee aside, I was at a Celtic Connections gig a few years back in Glasgow (that's celtic with a k before anyone goes nuts), someone asked me what I thought of Idlewild, I went off on a five minute rant about their sh*teness, never repeating myself and always making very valid points. Roddy Woomble, it turns out, was right behind me!***

Archived