Fav restaurant in embra...

go on then

....and why? The service? The quality of food? value for money, etc? I used to like the Apartment, I am guessing it has long gone?

buffalo grill in stocky. great food, nice atmosphere. have eaten there countless times never a single complaint.

nicest meal i have eaten in the burgh was at the new bell inn when my mate was head chef there. simply outstanding.

buffalo grill in stocky. great food, nice atmosphere. have eaten there countless times never a single complaint.

nicest meal i have eaten in the burgh was at the new bell inn when my mate was head chef there. simply outstanding.

Would you use either of those places for a special occasion?

It's full of Niddronians.

:rolleyes:

On Gorgie Rd, I'm sure they would all be hanging about The Wimpey at the East End;)

Say What Again

Best food I've had at a meal out in a long time was at the Glasshouse in Musselburgh.

I don't suppose i have a favourite though as I'm a greedy bassa and will gladly eat anywhere.

I used to have a love of Tinellis on Easter Road but after 20+ years, it's changed hands (and name).

Go on then; Apartments still there.

For a special occassion try somewhere like

Martin Wisharts http://www.martin-wishart.co.uk/main.html

The Witchery http://www.thewitchery.com/

Or a little less expensive

Roti (amazine indian with a twist)

or

Oloroso's

Always felt the Witchery was over rated and over priced, K18.

Didn't realise Apartment was still there (wonder if it is as good as was before?)

Roti's. Might have a look at that.

thanks

Favorite is Mother India, great Indian food.

I like Martin Wisharts you would be hard pushed not to and the wines are matched so well, even for someone who normally hates the stuff like me.

Lots of favourites.....

Indian - Red Fort, Mother India, Saafrani

Turkish - Hanedan, Empire's

Other's - New Bell, Calistoga, Sizzling Scot

The Grain Store, Victoria Street.

Food and service first class.

Luchtime menu is not expensive...in the evening more expensive but worth it.

Would you use either of those places for a special occasion?

went to buffallo grill stocky for my birthday this year with nine of my mates. was perfect seeing we where all going to get hammered during and after. its laid back, unpretenious and comfortable thats why i eat there a lot, food is excellent also.

the new bell inn is where me and my family had a joint birthday effort this year as we all have our birthdays within a month of each other.

so the answer is yes i would eat at both for a special occasion.

went to buffallo grill stocky for my birthday this year with nine of my mates. was perfect seeing we where all going to get hammered during and after. its laid back, unpretenious and comfortable thats why i eat there a lot, food is excellent also.

the new bell inn is where me and my family had a joint birthday effort this year as we all have our birthdays within a month of each other.

so the answer is yes i would eat at both for a special occasion.

Usually go to Buffalo Grill near Potterrow because it's closer to me. Never been to Stockbridge one but been told it's a bit more open, the one at Potterrow is a bit claustrophobic. The Carpetbag steak is amazing!!

loveofthegame

As mentioned Buffalo Grill is superb.

Also a big fan of Pancho Villa's on the Royal Mile (top Mexican joint). Been to the Witchery once but was incredibly hungover (i know, what a tit...) so can't say i enjoyed it very much.

If you're looking for a guaranteed good scran though then you can't argue with Pizza Express. Bog standard Italian but nice enough setting to take the bird or whatever, partic the one in Stockbridge.

Can't believe no-ones mentioned Khushis yet. Their Lamb Karahi is probably the finest curry I've ever tasted.

Always felt the Witchery was over rated and over priced, K18.

Didn't realise Apartment was still there (wonder if it is as good as was before?)

Roti's. Might have a look at that.

thanks

The Apartment isnt anywhere near as good as it was.

Witchery over priced for what you get as is Oloroso.

Depends what you want Martin Wisharts or the Kitchen are very good but expensive (MW more so than the Kitchen) but bearing in mind they are michelin level standards

If you want to be cheaper Ship on the Shore is ace for a romantic meal and cheap'ish great seafood

The Grain Store, Victoria Street.

Food and service first class.

Luchtime menu is not expensive...in the evening more expensive but worth it.

Yip agree with that too

I think the best "posh" restaurant in town is The Vintner Rooms, under the Malt Whisky Society at the top of the Shore.

Not as expensive as Wishart's, Kitchin's, The Tower or The Witchery but a really nice place and cracking food.

Got to backup the Buffalo Grill recomendation. Been to both loads of times. Even remember reading the old Pink news in the one at Chapel Street with my parents every Saturday after id been to watch the jambos. Match ticket price then was 3 pound!

Nowadays me and the lads go to either one for a boozey meal. Bring your own bottle sits well with my fish like friends.

Ignite at Haymarket is probably my favourite. It's ruined other Indian restaurants and take aways for me as nothing else comes close (although the Guru isn't bad).

Other than that I quite often go to Tempus in the George Hotel, good food and great service.

As mentioned Buffalo Grill is superb.

Also a big fan of Pancho Villa's on the Royal Mile (top Mexican joint). Been to the Witchery once but was incredibly hungover (i know, what a tit...) so can't say i enjoyed it very much.

If you're looking for a guaranteed good scran though then you can't argue with Pizza Express. Bog standard Italian but nice enough setting to take the bird or whatever, partic the one in Stockbridge.

Agree with Buffalo Grill.

However I must protest at your inclusion of Pizza Express aka We are Pizza Hut but posher.

There are so many great, reasonably priced Italian restaurants in Edinburgh that it would be a crime to mention Pizza Express/Zizzis as a good location to take a bird or in a thread of the best restaurants in Edinburgh!

The Stockbridge Restaurant on St Stephen's Street.

Very, very nice.

Hope your on commision...

;)

The mexican across the street from it is class to... thinks its called the blue parrot.

GOT; Been to the Witchery twice now, first time over rated, second time excellent.

Also try Abstract - not been yet but heard good things and booked up for later this month.

http://www.abstractrestaurant.com/edinburgh/welcome.aspx

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

khushi's on potterrow closely followed by the balmwell 2 for 1 meal hahaha NAAAT

I was at international starters in Leith.Have to say i was impressed with that.The varanda(spelling) Indian in Dalry used to be the business.A few of the hearts players used to go there early to mid 90's.

Say What Again
The mexican across the street from it is class to... thinks its called the blue parrot.

It is

International Starters was brilliant when I was in last week. Would recommend going with a large group to get the most out of it.

Depends on what you fancy - Jolly's on Leith Walk for Italians - ****et Pavilion near the Playhouse for Thai - Mussel Inn's no bad either.

Can't believe no-ones mentioned Khushis yet. Their Lamb Karahi is probably the finest curry I've ever tasted.

My wee Bro's Lamb Karahi urinates all over that.

FACT, END OF!

;)

When I've got visitors over from Norway for work during the festival usually go to the Mussel & Steak Bar down the Grassmarket

Nothing too technical but amazing steak and chips cooked in beef dripping, makes my eventual heart attack seem worthwhile

Usually go to Buffalo Grill near Potterrow because it's closer to me. Never been to Stockbridge one but been told it's a bit more open, the one at Potterrow is a bit claustrophobic. The Carpetbag steak is amazing!!

the stocky one is better by miles. plus it sells bevvy not sure if the other one does. for some reason i have never had a steak of my own from buffallo ( always eat loads of my birds steak au piovre tho) the chicken dishes, burgers and ribs are immense. man i could go some now never had time for dinner went straight from uni to the barrowlands.

Home Bistro at west nicolson street, very good service and a more scottish themed seasonal fair type of thing if you know what i mean ? not pub grub !

Archived