Henry Smith

Gershwin

'Come on every jambo, come on everyone,

This song's about Scotland's Number 1'

'Henry Smith, Henry Smith,

the whole world knows about Henry Smith.'

So bad it's funny. My mate was filling up an ipod for me and put this song on it. Couldn't stop laughing when I heard the opening bars.

Anyone else a fan?

Henry is/was/and always will be a Legend.

His banner deserves to be there, unlike some.

Henry Henry

Henry Henry

Agreed .

Henry Henry gies a wave :)

A great keeper, great entertainer and he loved playing for Hearts.

I still think both of the late goals he conceded in the 88 SC semi v. Celtic were fouls on the keeper (as was the Hearts goal that day too).

What about that save in the 0-3 Tannadice 'league decider' in 86, amazing.

A Great goalie, thanks for the memories H!

If jumping into your own player is a foul then yes! Deffo agree re their second though.

See below!! My hero growing up. I spilled a glass of coke on him when i was about 7 and he said i'd never be a goallie. I was distraught!!!!

Does anyone still have a copy of the 'Jambo Tribe' tape?

The highlight was a medley of Hearts songs with a recording of [clean] 'Hello Hello' from the Shed.

'The Ace of Hearts is here - He is John Robertson

The one the Hibees fear - He is John Robertson'

A great keeper, great entertainer and he loved playing for Hearts.

I still think both of the late goals he conceded in the 88 SC semi v. Celtic were fouls on the keeper (as was the Hearts goal that day too).

What about that save in the 0-3 Tannadice 'league decider' in 86, amazing.

A Great goalie, thanks for the memories H!

Funny that, the same thing happened to him earlier this year down in Manchester too ......... or so he tells it!! :)

Anyone else a fan?

No. Can never ever forgive that clown for his semi-final mess up against ra sellik (and many others). :mad:

If he concentrated on the game rather than the fans and stopped puffing his cheeks out he might have been half decent. I used to cringe when I heard the fans chanting his name despite all the pain he inflicted on us.

Henry was a bit of a hero of mine in the mid 80s as I was the school goalie,. However despite him being at times a fantastic shot stopper I still find it astounding how many Jambos pick him in their all time team in the News given that Anti Niemi and Craig Gordon have played for Hearts in recent years. (And obviously for older fans there is Jim Cruickshank too)

IMO When he was good there was no-one better when he was bad there was no-one worse. But he was still my favourite player year after year. I just wish he was 20 years younger

I really liked Henry but he had his faults.

For every wonder save against Tommy Coyne and Maurice Malpas there was the 88 semi and his Dens Park penalty.

Yet in the last two years, I've found myself yearning for the likes of Henry Smith and Walter Kidd at the old Tynecastle. I grew up with these guys as fixtures in the team since my attending first match right through to my early 20s.

Buffalo Bill

I really liked Henry but he had his faults.

Henry was a tremendous shot stopper, but was not particularly adept at the more basic aspects of the game such as catching or dealing with crosses. He might have put in the effort to deal with these shortcomings had the many doughnuts in our support not mistaken personality for competence.

The highlight was a medley of Hearts songs with a recording of [clean] 'Hello Hello' from the Shed.

I still have the tape in my stereo system :4_1_72:..........shows the last time i listened to a cassette

:spongebob3:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
'Come on every jambo, come on everyone,

This song's about Scotland's Number 1'

'Henry Smith, Henry Smith,

the whole world knows about Henry Smith.'

So bad it's funny. My mate was filling up an ipod for me and put this song on it. Couldn't stop laughing when I heard the opening bars.

Anyone else a fan?

Should get Scott Wilson to play it on Sunday, it's an amazing song!

So bad it's good kind of thing. :)

Henry was a tremendous shot stopper, but was not particularly adept at the more basic aspects of the game such as catching or dealing with crosses. He might have put in the effort to deal with these shortcomings had the many doughnuts in our support not mistaken personality for competence.

Perhaps, although I really was just a kid who also happened to play in goals so it was natural for my namesake to be a hero, although I've never been one for cult-hero worship.

As an adult, I remember a few years later Pasquale Bruno being the darling of the Family Stand, but I felt he was a liability more than anything.

Buffalo Bill

winston churchill

made to many mistakes for my liking.

has there ever been another keeper that every away fans would sing his name.

what was the joke at the time.when smith stops playing football- he is going to become an estate agent(cos he's good at selling semis)

The gorgie road by the jambo tribe is one of their better songs i must admit.

Still can't beat a bit of the Heart of Midlothian Arise though :rolleyes:

grumpygreenkeeper

good fella always gives good value when he comes down here to manchester, still ropey from crosses though he let one in direct from a corner last year!

john brownlee

Fleckin' hell

do you know why he was called the estate agent

As the great gordon banks once said its not the ones you save that count its the ones you dont that count, and I'm afraid its the latter that have more to do with no hands henry.

He was not the worst goaly ever but imo he wasn't far away but at the time he was probably our best choice, no money no reserves

BTW it wasn't just semis anybody remember falkick

I have the box but not sure where the tape is.

I've got the 20 Jambos Classics CD though, which had a loud airing in a bar in Basel after our famous win!

Absolutely class tunes!

"The Rangers flee,

The Hibs give in,

The Dons might never come again,

For they'll never beat Joe Jordan's men

Who's Hearts beat in the Gorgie Road."

"H is for honours: club, country and ????,

E is for Edinburgh's favourite football team,

A is for ace of Hearts, Willie Bauld and Robbo are two,

R is for respect, recognition in Europe, too,

T is for Tynecastle, home of the Jambo tribe

S: SUCCESS for SCOTLAND, and Auld Reekie's gonna rise

And we sing...

Heart of Midlothian arise."

I listened to that tape a lot when I was a kid!

:cool:

we've got big dave, robbo colqhoun and army of maroon

Millar, mackay, nelson, levien the greatest football team

The gaffers name is tommy mclean

Every time I hear his name I think not of his great saves but of the Semi Final and his ridiculous penalty attempt at Dens

There were plenty of outfield players who didn't show the bottle Henry did that night at Dens.

Alan Lawrence for one I remember didn't take a penalty. And there were others.

marshallschunkychicken

My favourite of the '20 Jambos Classics' (bar the Hearts Song, obviously), is still 'The Future's Maroon and White'. (crap fact - Stuart 'Woody' Wood, of Bay City Rollers fame plays lead guitar on that track).

There were plenty of outfield players who didn't show the bottle Henry did that night at Dens.

Alan Lawrence for one I remember didn't take a penalty. And there were others.

Not questioning his bottle,just his common sense, his run up or lack of it cost us a place in the next round:sad:

Not questioning his bottle,just his common sense, his run up or lack of it cost us a place in the next round:sad:

Henry had just made a great save.

I don't blame him for missing a penalty. I blame the likes of Lawrence for not having the bottle.

love it have the full cd on my phone and ipod!!!(sad i know but winds up the hobbos when my phone goes and it a different hearts song each day)

always remember smith was the keeper when i was grown up and even scored against him when i was mascot

Henry had just made a great save.

I don't blame him for missing a penalty. I blame the likes of Lawrence for not having the bottle.

Was it not Lawrence who equalised? to take us to penalties

I don't blame him for missing it, I blame him for as always acting the clown rather than takin a run up and blasting the ball

I presume you mean excluding Hibs goalies or it could take a while to name them all!

Rousset got pelters for his 96 final howler 'pousset, there's only one pousset......'. Just as well the big man made up for it in fine style two years later.

All keepers make howlers, Cech, Gordon chucking it in the net in the last minute at parkhead.

Don't think Henry was anywhere near as bad as some are making out on here. If you play for a team for 15 years there will always be one or two howlers.

Maybe like BB I am yearning for my youth and a team that fought for each other and had real backing from the stands/shed but I though big H was quality.

My top Hearts keepers since I really started to watch the team (rather than when I went mainly for the pies and juice when I was a nipper!) are:

1) Gordon (crosses and kicking a problem)

2) Smith (crosses and taking penalties!)

3) Niemi/Rousset (crosses/bandy legs)

5) Walker (decent all round keeper but nowhere near top 4)

6) McKenzie (as Walker)

7) Dross like Nelson, Moilaanen etc (Tepi better but just)

999) Kurskis (stick to basketball son)

As an aside, I was talking to big John Brough about Henry a few weeks ago. He reckons he (Brough) was a bit unlucky that Hearts signed Smith as there was no way he would displace Smith in the team due to how good he was.

Broughie was a very decent keeper by all accounts and rated big H very highly.

Good guy Broughie and still loves the Hearts, don't get in a round with him though, jeez that boy can down the pints!

Brough is sound he used to take us for fitty training at Boroughmuir early 80's.

Henry was not a bad goalie ,couple of Scotland caps too.

I presume you mean excluding Hibs goalies or it could take a while to name them all!

Rousset got pelters for his 96 final howler 'pousset, there's only one pousset......'. Just as well the big man made up for it in fine style two years later.

All keepers make howlers, Cech, Gordon chucking it in the net in the last minute at parkhead.

Don't think Henry was anywhere near as bad as some are making out on here. If you play for a team for 15 years there will always be one or two howlers.

Maybe like BB I am yearning for my youth and a team that fought for each other and had real backing from the stands/shed but I though big H was quality.

My top Hearts keepers since I really started to watch the team (rather than when I went mainly for the pies and juice when I was a nipper!) are:

1) Gordon (crosses and kicking a problem)

2) Smith (crosses and taking penalties!)

3) Niemi/Rousset (crosses/bandy legs)

5) Walker (decent all round keeper but nowhere near top 4)

6) McKenzie (as Walker)

7) Dross like Nelson, Moilaanen etc (Tepi better but just)

999) Kurskis (stick to basketball son)

As an aside, I was talking to big John Brough about Henry a few weeks ago. He reckons he (Brough) was a bit unlucky that Hearts signed Smith as there was no way he would displace Smith in the team due to how good he was.

Broughie was a very decent keeper by all accounts and rated big H very highly.

Good guy Broughie and still loves the Hearts, don't get in a round with him though, jeez that boy can down the pints!

I agree with every word there mate. Henry was a wonderful servent to our club and damn fine goalkeeper. Some people just want too much i guess. FWIW i think Henry would have got more caps at different time but had Leighton, Rough and Billy Thompson to compete with and they were all very very good goallies (especially the 1st 2)

Agree with your list although i'd be tempted to stop at 4!! Niemi was brilliant but im not sure he was with us long enough to be all-time best.

My dad knows Broughie and has told me the same - that he'd have been a crackin Hearts keeper had he not been behind Henry

That confirms you know f-all. Henry's strength was in fact coming off his line for cross balls. Every keeper we have had since then (including Rousset + Gordon) were scared to go for anywhere near the amount of cross balls Henry went for. The fact that he dropped a few was simply law of averages mate. (IMO his only real weakness was saving penalties).

If you remember that semi v celtic (and how can we forget), Hearts went up the park once and fluked a goal and did s0d-all the rest of the game, then sat back defending waiting for the inevitable to happen.

And every Hearts team since then have made a career out of throwing away last minute goals against the manks so how you come to single Henry as the only villain is beyond me.

Here is a guy who played for the club 100s of times over 15 years putting in some superb shifts along the way, yet you've got the narrow mind to overlook all of the good stuff and b0llock him for one bad game?

Your heid's further up your a rse than I thought it was.

That confirms you know f-all. Henry's strength was in fact coming off his line for cross balls. Every keeper we have had since then (including Rousset + Gordon) were scared to go for anywhere near the amount of cross balls Henry went for. The fact that he dropped a few was simply law of averages mate. (IMO his only real weakness was saving penalties).

If you remember that semi v celtic (and how can we forget), Hearts went up the park once and fluked a goal and did s0d-all the rest of the game, then sat back defending waiting for the inevitable to happen.

And every Hearts team since then have made a career out of throwing away last minute goals against the manks so how you come to single Henry as the only villain is beyond me.

Here is a guy who played for the club 100s of times over 15 years putting in some superb shifts along the way, yet you've got the narrow mind to overlook all of the good stuff and b0llock him for one bad game?

Hear hear.

Henry is still playing for the Hearts Legends

For 53 he is still class and hasn't conceded in the last 4 games.

Remember the legend penalty shoot out two years ago at half time? He saved the first 3 Hibs penalties from Keith Wright, Calum Milne and Gordon Hunter

Guy is a legend

"We are the Hearts" is a pretty decent one on that

We all know what therapist really is, he likes "traditional" songs, hates Celtic like Rangers do(wonder why!!) and quite often has "blue is the colour" at the bottom of his posts (reckons it's a reference to Chelsea....aye, right then!!) Shame he won't admit it though.

Archived