Kinda wet

hearts_crazy

Don't know if this story has been discussed. watch the video then read the story. The organisers of this come across as arrogant winkers TBH. If I was one of the organisers i'd absolutely insist upon calling this competition off when the weather closed in.

I mean jeez, I thought I was mad going to Tynecastle yesterday in weather not nearly as wild as that.

I've done marshalling on events like this and I know how determined some of these loonies are, they don't like it if you tell them they have to retire either, but surely common sense says that the organisers should have called this off, I would have thought it was a basic duty of care.. I wonder if they would still think the story was 'blown out of proportion' if some of the competitors had died on them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7691893.stm

Heard some of the competitors interviewed and they were kind of all saying the same thing, that they knew what the Lake District would be like at this time of year and they were prepared and for whatever reason love getting sodden in the countryside. Strange folk.

It's hardly the end of the world. Might have been more sensible to call it off, if for nothing else to cut the risk of overloading the rescue services if things had gone awry, but given the nature of the event and the people taking part I can see why they went ahead.

Archived