Davie Obua

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

There has'nt been such said of him recently. How far away from full fitness is he and where is the Polish boy Mroweic?

There has'nt been such said of him recently. How far away from full fitness is he and where is the Polish boy Mroweic?

Already forgot about him,Tullberg and Obua...where are they?

David Obua, strange dude.

He was lauded as some enormous signing, he was on trial at West Ham I'll have you know, and as a first choice left back, left midfielder, central midfielder, in-the-hole player, striker by various JKB members.

Then he played, and was spectacularly guff.

Then he was injured, and now, many on here would have you believe that he is a "loss" to the side, someone we are waiting on coming back so we can return to our swashbuckling ways.

I feel sorry for the dude, it isn't his fault, but too many placed too much hope on him. I feel especially sorry for him as I suspect he will not turn out to be good enough.

Where is he and is he any relation to Mirsad Beslija?

Beslija has actually done the opposite of Michael Jackson and made himself black in the hope that noone notices its still him and he gets a game.

He was lauded as some enormous signing, he was on trial at West Ham I'll have you know, and as a first choice left back, left midfielder, central midfielder, in-the-hole player, striker by various JKB members.

Then he was injured, and now, many on here would have you believe that he is a "loss" to the side, someone we are waiting on coming back so we can return to our swashbuckling ways.

I feel sorry for the dude, it isn't his fault, but too many placed too much hope on him. I feel especially sorry for him as I suspect he will not turn out to be good enough.

I hope you are wrong.

Surely this injury problem is being addressed? All new signings seem to spend the first half of their contract in the physio, why is this?

letsalllaughathobos

obua is nothing special but he would be a usefull addition.

surprising how they all regain fitness against smeltic/rankers.

the way im fealing after satuarday any player returning to fitness is a bounus.

I hope you are wrong.

Surely this injury problem is being addressed? All new signings seem to spend the first half of their contract in the physio, why is this?

either very bad luck or bad physios. I'm going with the latter.

letsalllaughathobos
either very bad luck or bad physios. I'm going with the latter.

not so much the phisio's it's the folk who train them.

either that or thier just feeking weak.

Looked not bad playing in the 'hole' good passer etc.

Having said that did not seem to be able to tackle, beat a man or header so as some have stated he is no great loss to the side.

Looked like an absolute bomb scare at left back!

Not too excited about him coming back from injury to be honest.

Toxteth O'Grady

The memory of the Airdrie game is still too fresh for me to have any hopes for Obua, he was horrific that night.

The memory of the Airdrie game is still too fresh for me to have any hopes for Obua, he was horrific that night.

Who wasnt??

Who wasnt??

How people can judge him after 2 games i'll never know. Before his 2 games for us he hadnt played a competitive game in months, and maybe he justs needs time to adapt.

Yes, he was pretty pesh v Airdrie but he showed he has a bit of skill with a couple of moves and passes which other players in the team couldnt dream of doing! Just give him a chance and a fair shot then judge him!

Csaba rates him really highly and has worked with him for a few years so Im going to trust his judgement!

Nothing like giving the boy a chance.

New club, new country, new culture, needs time to settle. Oh sorry I forgot, if you're not Lionel Messi from day one you don't get a chance.

I feel especially sorry for him as I suspect he will not turn out to be good enough.

Christ, the lad's never even played in Europe before, let alone in Scotland. Glad to see that we've not lost our 'if you're not man of the match on your debut, you are total gash" mentality...

Csaba's Broon Shoes

What was his penalty against Airdrie all about ?

He was being touted as a dead ball expert

We seem to sign big softies these days

I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but the one thing that puzzled me about him in the Airdrie game was his complete inability to get his body over the ball before shooting.

They teach you that when you're eight years old.

Ditto Jamie Mole, Christian Nade...

Buffalo Bill

I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but the one thing that puzzled me about him in the Airdrie game was his complete inability to get his body over the ball before shooting.

They teach you that when you're eight years old.

Ditto Jamie Mole, Christian Nade...

Buffalo Bill

Couldn't agree more. But it seems to be a desease of the modern game not just Hearts strikers. Surely this inability must be spotted in training ? Perhaps not . . .

Nothing like giving the boy a chance.

New club, new country, new culture, needs time to settle. Oh sorry I forgot, if you're not Lionel Messi from day one you don't get a chance.

Christ, the lad's never even played in Europe before, let alone in Scotland. Glad to see that we've not lost our 'if you're not man of the match on your debut, you are total gash" mentality...

My suspicion is based on past history as much as his form in a Hearts jersey. Since we are discussing his country, he would be the first Ugandan to my knowledge to make an impact on European football, certainly the first I would be aware of in Scottish football. This suggests that football in that country is not of a particular high standard.

Having said that, I have seen the boy play, and, like other footballers, you get a feel for how you think they will do, and my first impression of the guy is that he does not look anything particularly special. These suspicions are not always correct, I thought that Jancyk looked a talented, passing midfielder, I also thought that Stuart Callaghan would make it. Still, I would argue that poorer players are easier to spot.

I find it disappointing that personal opinion (particularly when it is formed on the basis of him playing for the club) on a player is treated with the ignorance that we see above. Having said that, sadly, I am used to it with the first poster tbh. I assume that they will be able to show me where I demanded a Messi style performance, or where I said he was gash, making their statements both accurate and informed.......no, I don't think they will.

Hey ho, have a go instead of debate eh guys ;)

He seems techncially good but predominatley (Sp?) one footed and very lightweight.

But one thing I take hope in is that Csaba admitted that he was pish in his first few games.

Even if he is fit against Celtic the best he should hope for is a place on the bench. Bruno in behind Nade and one of Chesna, Miko and Larry on the right wing.

I find it disappointing that personal opinion (particularly when it is formed on the basis of him playing for the club) on a player is treated with the ignorance that we see above. Having said that, sadly, I am used to it with the first poster tbh. I assume that they will be able to show me where I demanded a Messi style performance, or where I said he was gash, making their statements both accurate and informed.......no, I don't think they will.

I did not say you demanded a Messi style performance but I was merely using a slightly outlandish example to illustrate what happens all to often in the modern game.

I'm not directly having a go at you but more the attitude that prevails if players do immediately show potential they are almost completely written off.

Guest JamboRobbo
I did not say you demanded a Messi style performance but I was merely using a slightly outlandish example to illustrate what happens all to often in the modern game.

I'm not directly having a go at you but more the attitude that prevails if players do immediately show potential they are almost completely written off.

Agree, but at the same time, in the vast majority of cases, if a player has quality, it won't take long for that quality to be pretty obvious to see.

The number of players who look ****e for a while then go on to make the grade is fairly small. The number of players who look ****e at first then go on to be a star is minimal.

So for me, we're wasting our time persevering with the players who we can all see are never gonna be better than average. I'm talking the likes of Mole or Zaliuakas or Thomson. Yes young and perhaps deserving of a chance, but at the same time, not showing any signs of being anything other than average at best.

For me, if a player has the potential to be a star, we'll see at least some signs pretty quickly.

In saying all that, I wouldn't be writing Obua off yet. Looked to have a trick or two up his sleeve and needs a wee bit of time to adapt to Scottish style. But if he doesn't show anything, we shouldn't perserve with him endlessly with a player who's never gonna be a star, as we've tended to do with the likes of Elliot/Mole/Zaliukas etc.

I'd rather we move on to the next guy in line, to see if he has anything to offer. e.g. Glen. I know people say it could destroy the guy, but I say the opposite. It could make the guy. If he's good enough. And if he's not good enough, we'll we've lost nothing anyway........

Charlie-Brown

Gary Glen hasn't done anything this season at any level to put himself ahead of David Templeton, Ryan Wallace or even U19's striker Mark Cowan for consideration for first team involvement, indeed it could be argued that even Clum has done more this season to merit a chance - having ability isn't enough if you aren't showing it in games and Glen is eligible for first team, reserves & U19 this season.

Guest JamboRobbo
Gary Glen hasn't done anything this season at any level to put himself ahead of David Templeton, Ryan Wallace or even U19's striker Mark Cowan for consideration for first team involvement, indeed it could be argued that even Clum has done more this season to merit a chance - having ability isn't enough if you aren't showing it in games and Glen is eligible for first team, reserves & U19 this season.

Yes and No Charlie. I can't comment on the other youngsters as I've only seen them on video. Agree Glen needs to produce to earn a chance, but I watched him produce at first team level end of last season. Something neither Mole nor Clum have come close to doing at that level. Mole cannie even produce at first division level, never mind SPL.

Glen, for me, has the potential to maybe be a star. So lets find out.

Mole and Clum have the potential to make a career in the second and first division respectively. So lets not waste any more time and energy developing a Livi/East Fife striker of the future.

Exactly how bad WAS Obua against Airdrie (I missed that game being on holiday)? I ask because I thought he had a tidy debut against St Mirren and certainly looked like he could do a job for us in the middle of the park.

Charlie-Brown
Yes and No Charlie. I can't comment on the other youngsters as I've only seen them on video. Agree Glen needs to produce to earn a chance, but I watched him produce at first team level end of last season. Something neither Mole nor Clum have come close to doing at that level. Mole cannie even produce at first division level, never mind SPL.

Glen, for me, has the potential to be a star. Mole and Clum have the potential to make a career in the second and first division respectively.

Last season is last season though JR - Husband & Templeton are more deserving of some first team involvement based on their performances & efforts this season, indeed in the brief first team cameo they had at Dunfermline pre-season they both did more in the 20-30 mins they were on than Glen did in the hour that he played, and even the other youngsters like Wallace & Cowan are getting good reports in their age groups, remember Glen is only 18 and the same age as these guys so just cos he's got a handful of first team games under his belt doesn't mean he's made it or automatically the next in line, in terms of ability he's probably better than these kids but he has to show it or else the others are more use than he is.

Great choice of words here, as that was exactly my point. At the moment there is very little to debate.

The guy played a couple of games and didn't play especially well. I'd imagine that it will take a while for him to adjust to the Scotland's footballing climate. Perhaps Shabba has put too much faith in him to adapt quickly, based on what he already knows? That, for sure, is debatable. Once he's back to full fitness, a run in the reserves would probably do him some good.

Too often Hearts bring foreigners in and throw them straight into the first team - results will always be hit and miss.

Guest JamboRobbo
Exactly how bad WAS Obua against Airdrie (I missed that game being on holiday)? I ask because I thought he had a tidy debut against St Mirren and certainly looked like he could do a job for us in the middle of the park.

No worse than the rest IMO. Tried a few things that didn't come off and by no means had a great game. But he wasn't as poor as horrific as some would make out.

I sat through that whole 120 minutes, and I still think he can be a player for us. :smile:

Guest JamboRobbo
Last season is last season though JR

So everthing done last season is forgotton then? OMG, we might get Kurskis and Beniuseless back, and you can tell us all what a great signings they will be. :P

Husband & Templeton are more deserving of some first team involvement based on their performances & efforts this season, indeed in the brief first team cameo they had at Dunfermline pre-season they both did more in the 20-30 mins they were on than Glen did in the hour that he played, and even the other youngsters like Wallace & Cowan are getting good reports in their age groups, remember Glen is only 18 and the same age as these guys so just cos he's got a handful of first team games under his belt doesn't mean he's made it or automatically the next in line, in terms of ability he's probably better than these kids but he has to show it or else the others are more use than he is.

I think the bit in bold says it all.

A good manager can teach a player to work hard and be disciplined and be fit etc. (just look at the difference in Nade this year). You can't teach natural ability.

Big part of whats wrong with Scottish football is that we will play the Jamie Moles who'll run about and chase but ultimately lack the ability, rather than try and work with the player who has the football ability but maybe needs help with other parts of his game....

The number of players who look ****e for a while then go on to make the grade is fairly small. The number of players who look ****e at first then go on to be a star is minimal.

What level of football are you referring to here?

There are many many players who have looked utter murder, before turning it round. Sometimes under a new manager, sometimes in a new team, sometimes in a new position. Sometimes just because of form.

Look at Paul Hartley for instance: I didn't see any of the player of 2005/06 prior to Levein moving him to the centre.

Obviously World Class players will always shine to some extent, but we're talking SPL here.

So everthing done last season is forgotton then? OMG, we might get Kurskis and Beniuseless back, and you can tell us all what a great signings they will be. :P

History is irrelevant to NHM unless he is using it to brush off Romanov's gross mismanagement of Hearts

In those circumstances history is his only argument.

Charlie-Brown

I think the bit in bold says it all.

You can teach a player to work hard and be disciplined and be fit etc. You can't teach ability.

The other kids (Husband, Templeton, Wallace etc) have good ability too and although Glen can be a better player than them this is only true if he's in form and showing good application - okay he missed some games through injury and has been away with Scotland so has missed some games but if he wants to play in Hearts first team then he has to put himself back in front of the other kids who are currently in better form and getting better reports and currently have done more so far to earn their chance this season.

Guest JamboRobbo
What level of football are you referring to here?

SPL mate.

There are many many players who have looked utter murder, before turning it round. Sometimes under a new manager, sometimes in a new team, sometimes in a new position. Sometimes just because of form.

Look at Paul Hartley for instance: I didn't see any of the player of 2005/06 prior to Levein moving him to the centre.

Obviously World Class players will always shine to some extent, but we're talking SPL here.

Funnily enough I was going to say Paul Hartley is the exception that proves the rule. But even he was identified as a young player with ability at an early age. (one of the three or four promising youngsters taken to EURO 96) by Craig Brown. He failed to fulfill that potential for a while, but the ability was always there. Kinda proves the point that a good manager can make a talented player work hard and make the talent shine through if the talent is there......

Guest JamboRobbo
The other kids (Husband, Templeton, Wallace etc) have good ability too and although Glen can be a better player than them this is only true if he's in form and showing good application - okay he missed some games through injury and has been away with Scotland so has missed some games but if he wants to play in Hearts first team then he has to put himself back in front of the other kids who are currently in better form and getting better reports and currently have done more so far to earn their chance this season.

Why is he off playing for Scotland and the others aren't though....

Charlie-Brown
Why is he off playing for Scotland and the others aren't though....

He isn't playing for Scotland - he was an unused sub in several games last week behind kids he was previously ahead of who played instead of him.

Nobody is denying he has terrific talent but he isn't doing himself justice this season and other kids both at Hearts & Scotland are getting opportunities ahead of him.

No worse than the rest IMO. Tried a few things that didn't come off and by no means had a great game. But he wasn't as poor as horrific as some would make out.

I sat through that whole 120 minutes, and I still think he can be a player for us. :smile:

I agree with that.

Opinion on the lad has definitely been swayed by one woeful free-kick and a dreadful penalty against Airdrie. I thought he looked OK in midfield against St Mirren (although their defenders inexplicably stood right off him instead of getting stuck in), and I hear he did well enough against Hamilton as well.

Guest JamboRobbo
He isn't playing for Scotland - he was an unused sub in several games last week behind kids he was previously ahead of who played instead of him.

But ahead of these kids who were at home playing for HMFC..........

Nobody is denying he has terrific talent but he isn't doing himself justice this season and other kids both at Hearts & Scotland are getting opportunities ahead of him.

And I'm not denying that players should do well to earn a chance, but at the same time, if you have one player with talent and one without, I know which I'd give a run to.

Charlie-Brown

Temps is too old for u19 & surprised husband wasnt selected but johnny brown played all 3 games. R.Wallace v Hull got himself in ahead of Glen

"Slightly outlandish"? You think?????

I stand by my original post, I fear he has been built up to be a far more important player than he will be, due to the horrible summer we had. I hope he will come good and be a player for us, however having seen him play I am not so sure that will be the case.

Great choice of words here, as that was exactly my point. At the moment there is very little to debate.

The guy played a couple of games and didn't play especially well. I'd imagine that it will take a while for him to adjust to the Scotland's footballing climate. Perhaps Shabba has put too much faith in him to adapt quickly, based on what he already knows? That, for sure, is debatable. Once he's back to full fitness, a run in the reserves would probably do him some good.

Too often Hearts bring foreigners in and throw them straight into the first team - results will always be hit and miss.

There may be little to debate (due to his lack of fitness) but we HAVE seen him in maroon, he has played for us. Meaning (whether we say it or not) we have all got a hunch as to how he will turn out for us. My hunch is that he will not make it. Much like JR's post, the good players are often instantly apparent, some players, over time can show worth, I suspect that is the sort of player we have here, a project that may or may not transfer his abilities to the Scottish game.

I didn't make the rash statement that you seem to think I did, read my post again, as in no way did I suggest that he needed to be MOM or he was total gash.

Archived