Andy Murray (Again)

Deek

Has just won his third tournament on the trot in Russia. He is a grand slam finalist, is 4th in the world and climbing towards a top two position in the next year. Will he win BBC sports personality of the year? I doubt it, as I doubt if Chris Hoy will either.

The reason, both are Scottish. I would love to be proven wrong, but I think an English person will win it.

rudi must stay
Has just won his third tournament on the trot in Russia. He is a grand slam finalist, is 4th in the world and climbing towards a top two position in the next year. Will he win BBC sports personality of the year? I doubt it, as I doubt if Chris Hoy will either.

The reason, both are Scottish. I would love to be proven wrong, but I think an English person will win it.

i don't think it's got anything to do with him being scottish, rightly or wrongly a lot of people can't stand the guy.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

He's not really got a personality though, has he?!

Great tennis player though.

Nationality doesn't come in to it. Murray is not a grand slam winner, so doesn't deserve to win it compared to the likes of Adlington or Hamilton (IF he wins the world title).

i don't think it's got anything to do with him being scottish, rightly or wrongly a lot of people can't stand the guy.

The same could be said of Lewis Hamilton, who I think will win it irrespective of what happens in Brazil.

ToadKiller Dog
Nationality doesn't come in to it. Murray is not a grand slam winner, so doesn't deserve to win it compared to the likes of Adlington or Hamilton (IF he wins the world title).

Agree with the threrapist on this one ,nationality is not that important jackie stewart for example was a popular winner in his day,If Murray had won in new york i think he would be the sports personality winner he is popular with the Jeramey's and Jemimah's' in the home counties.

rudi must stay

doesn't really matter whether he's won a grand slam or not. He's won 5 competitions this year which no Briton has ever done. Which is some achievement. He won't win it though because of his personality.

He's won 5 competitions this year which no Briton has ever done.

Big deal. There are tournaments every week, and the bloke he beat today was ranked - wait for it - 150th in the world. :rolleyes:

Tennis is like golf - only grand slam tournaments really count. Hoy or Adlington would be much more worthy winners.

I'd disagree with nationality not playing any part. That Rebecca Adlington is 2nd favourite to win but...

Rebecca Adlington - No. of GOLD medals: 2

Chris Hoy - No. of GOLD medals: 3

Surely is about sporting excellence not celebrity likeability!

Who's that 13-year-old English tennis girl? If she won 5 tournaments in 1 year and reached a grand slam final, I doubt there would be a contest for Sport Personality of the Year! :rolleyes:

Also, would David Coulthard (if he was World Champion) win?

I'd disagree with nationality not playing any part. That Rebecca Adlington is 2nd favourite to win but...

Rebecca Adlington - No. of GOLD medals: 2

Chris Hoy - No. of GOLD medals: 3

Surely is about sporting excellence not celebrity likeability!

Who's that 13-year-old English tennis girl? If she won 5 tournaments in 1 year and reached a grand slam final, I doubt there would be a contest for Sport Personality of the Year! :rolleyes:

Also, would David Coulthard (if he was World Champion) win?

Its not an award for sporting excellence, its "Sports Personality". Andy Murray and Chris Hoy are not personalities. Murray is a soor-pussed Hibee and Hoy represents a tediously boring sport - cycling.

I always think Hoy comes across as a really smart likeable guy in interviews. Should they not also take into account things like if they are helping with youth coaching and raising the profile of their sport?

chester copperpot
Joe Calzaghe won it last time and he isn't English.

Should be Hoy IMO.

3 Golds in one games. Best ever result.

chester copperpot
Personally, I couldn't care who wins Sports Personality of the Year.

Normally I'd agree, but it should be Hoy in this instance.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Is your avatar an album cover?

I've seen it before but dunno where!

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Normally I'd agree, but it should be Hoy in this instance.

It should be, but it won't.

Adlington to win, unless Lewis wins the F1 :mad:

Probably best not to post comments on things you couln't care about, otherwise you'll have no time left for things you do :)

Victoria Pendleton or Chris Hoy should get BBCSPotY . Andy Murray's time will come.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Probably best not to post comments on things you couln't care about, otherwise you'll have no time left for lifes important issues. :)

Victoria Pendleton or Chris Hoy should get BBCSPotY . Andy Murray's time will come.

I'll post on anything I like thank you very much, whether I care or not :)

I'll post on anything I like thank you very much, whether I care or not :)

Absolutely.

However just think of the time you'll save by NOT posting comments like :- "I don't care about that " !

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Absolutely.

However just think of the time you'll save by NOT posting comments like :- "I don't care about that " !

But - I don't care, honest :P

Archived