Scottish football's racist shame

freddiemac

The race card is very apt in Mikoliunas' case. Remember, in the run up to 'that' dive, the poor lad had been forced to sit through his country's national anthem being disrespected by the great and the good of Scottish football gathered in the stands. Under that large scale, racially motivated provocation, I fully understand Mikoliunas' actions, even if I can't condone them.

The race card is very apt in Mikoliunas' case. Remember, in the run up to 'that' dive, the poor lad had been forced to sit through his country's national anthem being disrespected by the great and the good of Scottish football gathered in the stands. Under that large scale, racially motivated provocation, I fully understand Mikoliunas' actions, even if I can't condone them.

What nonsense, but why let a good yarn get in the way of the truth? There was no large scale booing of the anthem. It just wasn't clear that the anthem was being played at the time. But, hey, you just believe whatever you want to.

Geoff Kilpatrick
What nonsense, but why let a good yarn get in the way of the truth? There was no large scale booing of the anthem. It just wasn't clear that the anthem was being played at the time. But, hey, you just believe whatever you want to.

Ah yes, the Tartan Army were just booing among themselves and didn't realise the anthems had started! :rolleyes:

I didn't and still don't know why some of the TA booed the anthem but it is true that it was a small amount of fans who booed it and the rest of us were standing silently, actually what Oi Oi said is true and many didn't even realize they had started playing it as it was very quiet.

But back to the point of the thread which is Miko - i honestly don't think that the Scotland match has anything to do with it as I doubt the GFA give much of a toss about the Scotland game, I think a LOT more has to do with his pushing Andy Davies that day and they are protecting their own.

To say that it's racist or even ethnic bias is ridiculous, we don't have that much of a problem with any of the other Lithuanaians or any of the players of other nationalities in the squad. IF there is bias against Miko, it's been of his own doing by his actions in the past (and sorry but he has been bad in the past) whilst I don't agree that the refs should be biased against him to say it's for any reason other than his past actions is just wrong.

I didn't and still don't know why some of the TA booed the anthem but it is true that it was a small amount of fans who booed it and the rest of us were standing silently, actually what Oi Oi said is true and many didn't even realize they had started playing it as it was very quiet.

But back to the point of the thread which is Miko - i honestly don't think that the Scotland match has anything to do with it as I doubt the GFA give much of a toss about the Scotland game, I think a LOT more has to do with his pushing Andy Davies that day and they are protecting their own.

To say that it's racist or even ethnic bias is ridiculous, we don't have that much of a problem with any of the other Lithuanaians or any of the players of other nationalities in the squad. IF there is bias against Miko, it's been of his own doing by his actions in the past (and sorry but he has been bad in the past) whilst I don't agree that the refs should be biased against him to say it's for any reason other than his past actions is just wrong.

Two wrongs don't make a right. If you are saying that match officials are treating us differently because of Miko and the Andy Davis affair then that paints Scottish football and the integrity of Referees in a very poor light. We have the right to expect fair and unbiased treatment by referees at our games. That is not happening unfortunately - the unseemly rush that most west coast based officials in particular have, to book Lithuanian players playing for us, is there for anyone to see. Saturday's booking of Miko was an example of this.

I'm not saying it's right - we should not have to put up with bad or biased refereeing against Miko.

What I am saying though is that it only appears to be Miko they have a problem with, thus I do not believe that their bias is founded on any racial or ethnic dislike as some are purporting on here. I believe it is founded on Mikos incident with Andy Davies and his previous propensity towards diving (though I think he is much better now).

Two wrongs don't make a right. If you are saying that match officials are treating us differently because of Miko and the Andy Davis affair then that paints Scottish football and the integrity of Referees in a very poor light. We have the right to expect fair and unbiased treatment by referees at our games. That is not happening unfortunately - the unseemly rush that most west coast based officials in particular have, to book Lithuanian players playing for us, is there for anyone to see. Saturday's booking of Miko was an example of this.

Which other Lithuanians have been unfairly booked?

Which other Lithuanians have been unfairly booked?

Whilst I would have to say that Miko in particular has suffered from this - over the past couple of years I have seen occasions where Ksanavicius and Zaliukas have been harshly dealt with.

Audrey got booked for diving when it was a clear penalty at Parkhead in the diddy cup (he was denied another stone-waller in the same game when he got clattered neck-high in the box). Think Scott Booth surmised he was 'playing for it' by tempting the 6' 3 Celtic defender to karate kick him in the head.

Velicka got booked against Hibs for diving in the box when he clearly slipped when he had the ball and made no attempt to claim for a penalty.

Jankauskas sent off at Easter Road after an altercation with Scott Brown was another disgraceful decision.

So that's Miko, Jankauskas, Velicka and Ksanavicious all been treated shabbily in big games although only Miko appears to be continuously persecuted.

Does this mean when Brellier was sent off twice and booked over 20 times we have an anti French bias. Rudi was more harshly treated than any Lithuanian. What about Takis v Celtic. Michael Stewart, Robbie and Calum were all treated more harshly than any Lithuanians last year and they're all Scottish.

Eggert, Rueben and Bruno all have a bookings record comparable with Miko.

I suggest people take a look at the disciplinary records on the London Hearts site. It might just defuse a bit of this anti Lithuanian paranoid racist nonsense.

Everyone gets unjust bookings just as everyone gets away with rash tackles. I've seen Miko jumping into plenty of clumsy bookable tackles and not get booked. That's football.

I think after the Hampden incident Miko has become the figurehead for the 'all foriegners are diving cheats and all British players are too honest to dive' nonsense. This attitude exists in both Scotland and England - down South whenever someone like Drogba dived he was a cheat yet when say Gerrard or Owen dived they were 'entitled' to go down. Up here Hearts and Miko seem to bear the brunt of it because a/ rightly or wrongly Hearts are seen as having more of a foriegn influence than other clubs and b/ Miko once dived to win a penalty against Scotland. People like Booth and Burley go on about foriegn players 'introducing' diving to Scotland have clearly forgotten about amongst others John MacDonald who was diving 30 years ago.

alwaysthereinspirit
Todays display of racism against Miko in general ,by ref mike conroy his wee numpty assistant and goalkeeper langfield, continues the anti-lithuanian racism by scotlands media and match officials.

miko in particular is hounded regularly , today again the aberdeen winger clatters miko , a definite booking ? no not even quite word . miko puts an average foul in , booking ! the cheating ref then tries to justify the yellow card by twice suggesting that miko had laid in fouls all over the park ,sorry ref that was mikos first challenge.

second half and miko wins the ball from considine wee numpty assitant then intervenes signalling a free-kick to aberdeen at which point gormless langfield rushes to the ref to remind him that miko had already been booked, and should he maybe send him off . This should have resulted in an automatic yellow for the gormless goalie.

How much longer does he have left on his contract? The poor guy probably cant wait to get away from Scotland. As for refs being racist? It's not that they're racist but actually anti Vlad/Hearts. Velicka though not playing much will never be booked at Rankgers for just being Lithuanian.

Guest JamboRobbo

Jankauskas sent off at Easter Road after an altercation with Scott Brown was another disgraceful decision.

Disgraceful that the ref missed Browns original provocation. Janny deserved to go for losing control and kicking out at an opponent.

Guest JamboRobbo
The ref's are tube-steaks & have an agenda against miko.

and hmfc in general. and don't forget the media monkeys, the SFA, UEFA, FIFA, winston churchill and hitler are out to get us as well. :P

Mud sticks.

He knew exactly what he was doing when he dived at Hampden and when he barged into Andy Davis, I have no sympathy for him.

Silly miko imagine barging andy davis for the most blatent piece of cheating anyone ever witnessed.:eek:

gorgie rd eh11
Disgraceful that the ref missed Browns original provocation. Janny deserved to go for losing control and kicking out at an opponent.

He didn't kick him, he pushed him off as brown was standing on his thigh while Janny was on the ground after being clattered from behind. Get someone with studs on to stand on your leg and see if you can resist pushing them off.

Guest JamboRobbo
He didn't kick him, he pushed him off as brown was standing on his thigh while Janny was on the ground after being clattered from behind. Get someone with studs on to stand on your leg and see if you can resist pushing them off.

similar things happened to me many times mate. Yes, it does hurt. I'm not stupid enough to retaliate (which Janny did) with the ref standing 2 yards from me though.

gorgie rd eh11
similar things happened to me many times mate. Yes, it does hurt. I'm not stupid enough to retaliate (which Janny did) with the ref standing 2 yards from me though.

I don't think it's about stupidity, if someone stands on your thigh it's a natural rection to push them off. You obviously have more control than Janny and myself.

Guest JamboRobbo
I don't think it's about stupidity, if someone stands on your thigh it's a natural rection to push them off. You obviously have more control than Janny and myself.

was it not his calf? they don't hurt half as much :P;)

Guest S.U.S.S.

Im with you there mate, i simply wait a few minutes then go through them knee height! :)

I doubt very much it's racism, but it is blatantly obvious Miko gets harshly treated by referees. Yes he's done some stupid things that have drawn attention to himself, but it looks like referees actively go into situations now assuming he's cheated or desperate to flash a card at him. Since they are meant to judge every incident on its merits, it's clearly unfair to have an agenda with the player.

Doubt there's much he could do to change that now to be honest.

Audrey got booked for diving when it was a clear penalty at Parkhead in the diddy cup (he was denied another stone-waller in the same game when he got clattered neck-high in the box). Think Scott Booth surmised he was 'playing for it' by tempting the 6' 3 Celtic defender to karate kick him in the head.

Velicka got booked against Hibs for diving in the box when he clearly slipped when he had the ball and made no attempt to claim for a penalty.

So that's Miko, Jankauskas, Velicka and Ksanavicious all been treated shabbily in big games although only Miko appears to be continuously persecuted.

the list goes on and on ,lee wilkie spent most of last season being involved in off the ball scuffles.

at tannadice last season after being on the receiving end from wilkie, zaliukas brushed him off. although the ball was 40 yds away the ref gives a penalty and sends off zal. ignoring the fact big wilkie started it.

No of course not but your question was 'what other Lithuanians have been unfairly booked'.

Sorry BB you are correct. I should have included the word consistently in my question.

Archived