Come the end of the season............

magicTs

......what will the lack of investment in some decent strikers end up costing us ??

That's 4pts dropped with 2 awful last minute misses in the last 2 games alone and it looks like we will struggle all season to score more than 1 or maybe 2 goals in a game.

So far this season our 'strikers' have contributed 1 goal, ONE. Pathetic.

The cutting edge and any instinct inside the box is just not there and even though every Hearts fan could see it before the transfer window shut nothing was done about it. It's coming back to haunt us big time and we are truning games we would previously edged into draws and games we would previously have drawn into defeats.

Unless it is sorted out soon then it could easily cost us Europe next season.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'd like to think we will sign one or two in January but we all know Hearts January transfer dealings are usually pathetic and a huge let down.

My pal was speculating on the way up the road just how much money the likes of Makela have cost the club so far. Maybe something like ?2m? :eek: I have no problem with Makela - he didn't sanction the contract - he keeps himself very fit and wants to play.

But it just says it all about how Hearts operate that so much money has been wasted on the likes of Makela. Look how effective Lee Miller was today - the sort of player that we used to sign.

Yet another crafty miss today from The Mole - his mission - to be as gash as possible while working undercover.

Seriously if Nade can't play 90 mins just play with 10 men.

Moleman GTF

My pal was speculating on the way up the road just how much money the likes of Makela have cost the club so far. Maybe something like ?2m? :eek: I have no problem with Makela - he didn't sanction the contract - he keeps himself very fit and wants to play.

But it just says it all about how Hearts operate that so much money has been wasted on the likes of Makela. Look how effective Lee Miller was today - the sort of player that we used to sign.

Virtually every SPL club has better 'strikers' than us and every one of them has better value for money. Christ, re-signing Andy Kirk would have been a step up from the diddies we have to endure.

Nucky Thompson
Yet another crafty miss today from The Mole - his mission - to be as gash as possible while working undercover.

Moleman GTF

How the feck would you know:hobofish:

I think if Mole and Nade had more composure in front of goal, they would both have scored today. I think it's time we turned to our youngsters, they can't be any worse than what we have already.

I think we've also been unlucky with Tuilberg being injured too but if we don't give a chance to our youths then a goalscorer should be top priority in the window. I think it will cost us a UEFA spot unless we fix our goalscoring problem.

Dagger Is Back

Where are all the folks at the start of the season who said don't worry our MF are scoring goals and we had our best season with MFs like Skacel and Hartley scoring?

News flash - we don't have MFs like Skacel and Hartley and our strikers are gash at finishing. Nade did play well today I grant you.

......what will the lack of investment in some decent strikers end up costing us ??

That's 4pts dropped with 2 awful last minute misses in the last 2 games alone and it looks like we will struggle all season to score more than 1 or maybe 2 goals in a game.

The cutting edge and any instinct inside the box is just not there and even though every Hearts fan could see it before the transfer window shut nothing was done about it. It's coming back to haunt us big time and we are truning games we would previously edged into draws and games we would previously have drawn into defeats.

MagicTs,

I agree with a lot of this, we signed two goalkeepers (when we already had three) instead of signing a striker and full backs. However, you think that our lack of strikers will be the only thing to cost us European football? I suspect that if we do not rectify the striking situation (Gary Glen is sitting in the BLOODY STAND) soon, then it would cost us a "top six" position. European football is a distant aim at the moment.

The league table next week is going to be very interesting, given we will have played every team once. those that went wild at us winning in Hamilton and scraping wins against Motherwell, Inverness and St Mirren will see us in a best position of fifth IMO.

We will lose to C*lt!c, Kilmarnock (two points ahead of us) will go to Aberdeen, it will suit our league position for Kilmarnock to win and add to their lead as if Aberdeen win and we do indeed fail to take a point against C*lt!c they will be on the same points as us. Hibs go to St Mirren and, as we have found, I suspect that Hibs will win there, putting them above us. If that happens Motherwell's result against Hamilton could be the decider as to whether we will be in the top six or not.

European football? Talk about misplaced ambition?

Again, not a dig at you.

Our striking situation is abysmal. It has already and will continue to cost us big time.

Buffalo Bill

Moleman GTF

thought nade was great yesterday, beat ive seen him in a while(maybe ever)

he has defenetly turned a corner, and i think any striker who had done that sort of shift would have been taken off for fresh legs...ufortunatly the fresh legs were moles

MagicTs,

I agree with a lot of this, we signed two goalkeepers (when we already had three) instead of signing a striker and full backs. However, you think that our lack of strikers will be the only thing to cost us European football? I suspect that if we do not rectify the striking situation (Gary Glen is sitting in the BLOODY STAND) soon, then it would cost us a "top six" position. European football is a distant aim at the moment.

The league table next week is going to be very interesting, given we will have played every team once. those that went wild at us winning in Hamilton and scraping wins against Motherwell, Inverness and St Mirren will see us in a best position of fifth IMO.

We will lose to C*lt!c, Kilmarnock (two points ahead of us) will go to Aberdeen, it will suit our league position for Kilmarnock to win and add to their lead as if Aberdeen win and we do indeed fail to take a point against C*lt!c they will be on the same points as us. Hibs go to St Mirren and, as we have found, I suspect that Hibs will win there, putting them above us. If that happens Motherwell's result against Hamilton could be the decider as to whether we will be in the top six or not.

Again, not a dig at you.

It is misplaced ambition, yes. We're not quite good enough for Europe as things stand - our best case scenario is probably 5th (United are going to be very tough to stop as regards 3rd), and it's now incredibly tight between 3rd and 12th. I don't think it's a given that Celtic will beat us, and think Hibs will struggle to win at St Mirren too - but taking a slightly longer view, 4th to 9th is almost impossible to call. If there's not a Gretna this year, it does look increasingly as though the Accies are going to find it very tough, and you have to think St Mirren and Caley will be down there with them. But given I fully anticipate a firesale in January, European qualification would be a remarkable achievement, and one which looks beyond us at present.

It is misplaced ambition, yes. We're not quite good enough for Europe as things stand - our best case scenario is probably 5th (United are going to be very tough to stop as regards 3rd), and it's now incredibly tight between 3rd and 12th. I don't think it's a given that Celtic will beat us, and think Hibs will struggle to win at St Mirren too - but taking a slightly longer view, 4th to 9th is almost impossible to call. If there's not a Gretna this year, it does look increasingly as though the Accies are going to find it very tough, and you have to think St Mirren and Caley will be down there with them. But given I fully anticipate a firesale in January, European qualification would be a remarkable achievement, and one which looks beyond us at present.

I disagree with that. I find it very hard to imagine how THAT defence and THAT attack can get anything from C*lt!c. I know that we have had occasions where bad Hearts sides have succeeded against them, but those successes are far outnumbered by the failures.

As for Hibs at St Mirren, that one is obviously up in the air, I do feel that Hibs will have too much firepower for them, leaving us in the bottom six.

I disagree with that. I find it very hard to imagine how THAT defence and THAT attack can get anything from C*lt!c. I know that we have had occasions where bad Hearts sides have succeeded against them, but those successes are far outnumbered by the failures.

As for Hibs at St Mirren, that one is obviously up in the air, I do feel that Hibs will have too much firepower for them, leaving us in the bottom six.

Thing is though, Celtic have issues too: I'm still not convinced by them, and a draw isn't beyond us at Tynie. But regardless of one particular game or another, there are obviously concerns.

Our lack of a goalscorer will cost a fair few points this season. Some of the chances we've missed have been unbelievable.

We're weak in the centre of defence as well though and in many games, we struggle to create chances.

Our lack of a goalscorer will cost a fair few points this season. Some of the chances we've missed have been unbelievable.

We're weak in the centre of defence as well though and in many games, we struggle to create chances.

Have been a few more chances created in the last couple of weeks.

Aguiar's return has been a big positive for that as he is much more creative than the likes of Ksnavicius in the hole.

At some point some of those chances will start to go in. Nade's miss last week and header yesterday. And Mole's miss yesterday. It is the first time this season that we are regularly creating chances for the strikers in the penalty box.

Have been a few more chances created in the last couple of weeks.

Aguiar's return has been a big positive for that as he is much more creative than the likes of Ksnavicius in the hole.

At some point some of those chances will start to go in. Nade's miss last week and header yesterday. And Mole's miss yesterday. It is the first time this season that we are regularly creating chances for the strikers in the penalty box.

That's a good point actually Coco.

We have created more chances in the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately, the number of chances we are missing and gifting opponents is at al all-time high.

We have makela, Nade, Mole and Tullberg.

We have to get the strikers we have off the payroll before we sign others.

We cannot just keep on signing player after player after player.

portobellojambo1
We have makela, Nade, Mole and Tullberg.

We have to get the strikers we have off the payroll before we sign others.

We cannot just keep on signing player after player after player.

I agree with what you say, but the main problem we will have in getting rid of the persons you have mentioned above, assuming as well as getting rid of them we are also looking to get some money for them, is that they have not done anything to make them attractive to other teams.

Any club looking for a striker will look about to see who is scoring goals at this time, and the 4 above do not come into that category. It is fine for some to say we are creating more chances for strikers to score, the problem is they are not scoring, and a non scoring striker doesn't really command a lot of interest, or cash, from other clubs.

(I left Tullberg's name in despite him only being here a short time, because I do not think he is the answer to our goalscoring problems either, and I think Laszlo knew that before Tullberg arrived).

Guest juvehearts

whilst i dont see a january clear-out,

i hope players are emptied or returned to their clubs,

theirs no doubt that hearts are in dire need of new players with an SPL pedigree,

forget winning the league or europe.

we need a top 6 finish & then push for a european spot.

we need a RB LB 2 midfielders & a striker IF Shabba doesnt think Glen is good enough to play for the 1st team.

if its not working (which it aint) then surley we MUST now start to look at the youth & other squad players that are not getting a game, regardless if they have played in the past.

chesney, ruben, obua, the polish sensation that is Morweic, young ryan Mcgowan, matty rapnic & Gary glen.

Hearts Right now have over 70 professional football players on the wage book.

they have to pick 18 players for a SPL match 2 of which have to be u21 players.

at least 10 of the names 1st 18 players are deemed not good enough or are not pulling their weight, but still get picked week in week out.

zal, #29, jamie mole, makelam kingston, karipidis, these named players could do with being dropped & replaced with others willing to burst a gut for the cause.

Vlad whatever he may be to some has damaged this club to the brink of collapse & is currently being so badly mismanaged that we are hemoraging money everyday whilst this man is maj chairman.

if only I had the money to buy him out, but im sure someone will

it still aint good to be a jambo, but HE surley cant want hearts to fail so why is he & shabba constantaly PLAYING players that arn't good enough for 1st team football or needing dropped because they ar not performing.

something has got to change up at boardroom level because for the last 3 years, its just not worthwhile watching hearts because the HEART has been taken out & were suriving on a life support machine (UKIB group)

PLEASE< PLEASE someone come in & save us, ANYONE

juve.

I agree with what you say, but the main problem we will have in getting rid of the persons you have mentioned above.

Then we soldier on with what we have. It is not as bad as some make out.

We were without the first choice players Driver, Tullberg, Obua and Kingston and we did ok. I enjoyed the game.

Then we soldier on with what we have. It is not as bad as some make out.

We were without the first choice players Driver, Tullberg, Obua and Kingston and we did ok. I enjoyed the game.

Can you really say these players would be first choice? Not seen anything from them to suggest this.

Never mind finding strikers, we need to build from the back.

The OP is absolutely correct - it was obvious to anyone that the lack of goals in the team was going to cost us this season but nothing was done about it. If we had a couple or even just one decent finisher we would easily be 8-10 points better off than we are at the moment.

Once again yesterday, it was very difficult to fault the effort, tactics or general level of performance - but the lack of a cutting edge in front of goal is what cost us the 3 points.

The OP is absolutely correct - it was obvious to anyone that the lack of goals in the team was going to cost us this season but nothing was down about it. If we had a couple or even just one decent finisher we would easily be 8-10 points better off than we are at the moment.

Once again yesterday, it was very difficult to fault the effort, tactics or general level of performance - but the lack of a cutting edge in front of goal is what cost us the 3 points.

Or the huddy at the back giving away goals.

We need a natural goal scorer but we aint going to get one as they cost money so the best option is to turn to the youth and give one of them a stab, we must have a player on the books who could do better than our current 'strikers'. Playing 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 it not really that much of a gamble since most of our goals are coming from midfielders anyway.All we are saying is give youth a chance:)

Yes, in January Hearts should increase the debt by ?5m or so at least.

Not necessary - we could sign a couple of strikers from the first division on relatively low wages and they would offer more of a goal threat than the current lot. As things stand, our strikers simply do not score goals.

Yes, in January Hearts should increase the debt by ?5m or so at least.

I think that you are on the wrong thread, either that or you are way, way, way wrong.

By The Light..

without experienced SPL players no game in this league for Hearts is going to be easy, mid table looks like our target, when was the last SPL player we signed Mikey Stewart excepted?

Yoorup, your having a laugh even if Dundee Utd, Motherwell and others all take points of each other and we squeak it how many games do you think we'd get?

PS - Answer is Jamie McAllister from Livingston

I still think it`s the formation mate or we lack that extra bit of quality coming through from midfield and wide to score and make chances.

The thing is, 4-5-1 has worked in a sense in the last two games. As someone says, the introduction of Bruno and Nade has helped us get behind teams better and look more dangerous.

But, you can`t just rely on the sole front man to be puting the ball away all the time. Nade drops of alot to hold up play and let people get behind him therefore the midfield must take responsibility to get in the box.

I feel if 4-5-1 is to work we need a Hartley/Cameron type player who has a great engine and knack of goalscoring from midfield.

Otherwise if we continue to dominate games but still not win them we MUST change to two upfront to have more of an instant threat in the last third. We may nick the odd win with the way we play but we`re toiling to turn 1-1`s into 2-1`s but we have made quite a few chances in the last two games which is encouraging.

without experienced SPL players no game in this league for Hearts is going to be easy, mid table looks like our target, when was the last SPL player we signed Mikey Stewart excepted?

Yoorup, your having a laugh even if Dundee Utd, Motherwell and others all take points of each other and we squeak it how many games do you think we'd get?

PS - Answer is Jamie McAllister from Livingston

I don't think Hearts were signing too many players from other SPL clubs even prior to Romanov's arrival. In the Levein era it tended to be either lower league young players (Webster, Austin McCann) or the best of the experienced lower league players (Hartley, Wyness, MacFarlane), added to a players signed from English lower leagues.

Guest Fabuloso

With respect I don't think it's the strikers costing us a European place. The root of the problem is at the top. Until that's fixed we'll achieve nothing.

Can you really say these players would be first choice? Not seen anything from them to suggest this.

Never mind finding strikers, we need to build from the back.

Tullberg and Obua were Csaba signing so I expect them to play when they are fit.

magicjohnston

why not try miko upfront with nadders? and put chesney on the wing, he was very creative in the 10mins he got yesterday!

or as others have said bring in the youngsters, but please NO more fmakela or mole, and especially not audrey, its so crap watching a hearts side with him playing off the striker!!!:(

why not try miko upfront with nadders? and put chesney on the wing, he was very creative in the 10mins he got yesterday!

or as others have said bring in the youngsters, but please NO more fmakela or mole, and especially not audrey, its so crap watching a hearts side with him playing off the striker!!!:(

Miko up front lol

Toxteth O'Grady
I think if Mole and Nade had more composure in front of goal, they would both have scored today. I think it's time we turned to our youngsters, they can't be any worse than what we have already.

I think we've also been unlucky with Tuilberg being injured too but if we don't give a chance to our youths then a goalscorer should be top priority in the window. I think it will cost us a UEFA spot unless we fix our goalscoring problem.

There is nothing unlucky about signing an injured player it was stupid.

Our lack of a goalscorer has been obvious since last January and nothing has been done to solve that problem, we will continue to struggle until we sign someone who can score goals on a regular basis.

Dagger Is Back
There is nothing unlucky about signing an injured player it was stupid.

Our lack of a goalscorer has been obvious since last January and nothing has been done to solve that problem, we will continue to struggle until we sign someone who can score goals on a regular basis.

Absolutely spot on. Anyoen who watched HMFC last season knew that we placed too much onus on Velicka to score (whats happening with him at Der Hun anyway?) and were amazed at selling him when we did.

We were even more amazed when we did nothing pre season to replace him. Signing a player with as poor a goal scoring record as MT is beyond belief. Signing him when injured .. well words escape me.

I'd suggest that most if not all, SPL teams have a better strike force than us.

MagicTs,

Again, not a dig at you.

Fair play bighusref. I think I'm right in saying that 3rd, 4th and 5th all get a UEFA Cup spot next season (entering at different qualifying rounds) now that the Intertattie has been abolished.

When fit I genuinely think that we have the best 'collection' of midfielders outside the top 2 so would it be unreasonable to believe that with someone who could even contibute 12 goals this season we would be able to claim 4th or 5th (like SL I think Utd are a shoe in for 3rd) ?

Personally I'd be going to Rangers in January and taking Velicka back. He's never in a million years going to hold down a first team place there. Other

Anything gained next Sunday will be a bonus but it's the subsequent 4 matches which will possibly show where we are likely to end up this season. St Mirren, Hamilton, ICT and Falkirk all look like bottom 6 finishers so 9 or 10pts should be a realistic target for Csaba to set.

I'm not for a minute thinking we are suddenly going to become world beaters even with a striker, more the fact the league is so mediocre it could make a tremendous difference to our points total given how tight so many games are.

With respect I don't think it's the strikers costing us a European place. The root of the problem is at the top. Until that's fixed we'll achieve nothing.

I'll blame Romanov for many things but I'm pretty sure it wasn't him who missed chances from around the edge of the 6 yard box at Fester and in front of the Gorgie Stand yesterday !

If your talking about the bigger picture and the fact he has landed us with these duds then shoot away I'm in full agreement ! His transfer policy and football knowledge SUCKS.

You say our best placed position is probably 5th SL, who are you tipping for 4th ?

The sad thing is we are back to the days of wanting the Old Firm to beat Aberdeen, Hibs, Utd and Motherwell week in week out as they are our competitors rather than the big 2.

By the way how big were those 2 results for Norwich ?!

Charlie-Brown

There is very very little between Kilmarnock in 3rd and Hamilton in 12th in terms of any gulf in quality - some teams are of course better than others but not by much and anybody really can beat anybody else as we've already witnessed, almost every game is being settled by single goal victories and most games are as tight as I can remember.

Dundee Utd scraped by St Mirren with 2 goals inside last 5 minutes yesterday whist bottom club Falkirk won 2-1 away at 3rd place Killie. There is no reason why Falkirk can't take a point or more off the Arabs next week, indeed all the SPL games outside the Old Firm next week really could easily go either way. Nobody can take anything for granted and a couple of good or bad results can raise or lower you several places in the table.

It's as tight as I can remember it and I don't think anybody will run away with the european places this season and don't think they will be decided until much later in the season - the split this season could be the most meaningful in years since all but 1 of the top 6 teams is probably going to qualify for Europe unless an outside bet wins the Scottish cup.

There is very very little between Kilmarnock in 3rd and Hamilton in 12th in terms of any gulf in quality - some teams are of course better than others but not by much and anybody really can beat anybody else as we've already witnessed, almost every game is being settled by single goal victories and most games are as tight as I can remember.

Dundee Utd scraped by St Mirren with 2 goals inside last 5 minutes yesterday whist bottom club Falkirk won 2-1 away at 3rd place Killie. There is no reason why Falkirk can't take a point or more off the Arabs next week, indeed all the SPL games outside the Old Firm next week really could easily go either way. Nobody can take anything for granted and a couple of good or bad results can raise or lower you several places in the table.

It's as tight as I can remember it and I don't think anybody will run away with the european places this season and don't think they will be decided until much later in the season - the split this season could be the most meaningful in years since all but 1 of the top 6 teams is probably going to qualify for Europe unless an outside bet wins the Scottish cup.

Sadly due to the horrendous mismanagement we have endured over the last two years what you have written is true.

It's not Jamie Mole or Calum Elliot's fault that they have been handed a key position in the Hearts team, that responsibility lies with the absent half wit hiding himself away in Lithuania. What a tube that man is.

Fair play bighusref. I think I'm right in saying that 3rd, 4th and 5th all get a UEFA Cup spot next season (entering at different qualifying rounds) now that the Intertattie has been abolished.

When fit I genuinely think that we have the best 'collection' of midfielders outside the top 2 so would it be unreasonable to believe that with someone who could even contibute 12 goals this season we would be able to claim 4th or 5th (like SL I think Utd are a shoe in for 3rd) ?

Personally I'd be going to Rangers in January and taking Velicka back. He's never in a million years going to hold down a first team place there. Other

Anything gained next Sunday will be a bonus but it's the subsequent 4 matches which will possibly show where we are likely to end up this season. St Mirren, Hamilton, ICT and Falkirk all look like bottom 6 finishers so 9 or 10pts should be a realistic target for Csaba to set.

I'm not for a minute thinking we are suddenly going to become world beaters even with a striker, more the fact the league is so mediocre it could make a tremendous difference to our points total given how tight so many games are.

Thing is mate, next week is a good barometer because we will have played every team once. With all due respect, playing against the bottom four sides is not going to be where we find out how good we are, it is the middle ranking sides like Hibs, Kilmarnock, Dundee United and Aberdeen that we need to be beating.

Having said that, I revert to the above, after playing every team, I suspect that we will be outwith the top six. Then we can look at the league as any sort of barometer, not because we are the first team to win at Hamilton in 2 years.

Charlie-Brown

There is only 7 points between 3rd place and bottom in the SPL - 2 or 3 good or bad results either way could see any team climb or fall several places in the table and this is as true for Hamilton currently at the bottom and Killie in 3rd and everybody else in between, basically there is everything still to play for.

You say our best placed position is probably 5th SL, who are you tipping for 4th ?

The sad thing is we are back to the days of wanting the Old Firm to beat Aberdeen, Hibs, Utd and Motherwell week in week out as they are our competitors rather than the big 2.

By the way how big were those 2 results for Norwich ?!

Massive, mate, massive! We're still 18th, even with those six points accrued - but at least it looks as though a full-on relegation battle will probably be avoided.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I don't think the 5th placed side will make it if either of the OF win the Cup. If we need to finish in the top 4, I struggle to see it: I currently favour Killie for 4th, but it's ridiculously close between them, us, Hibs, Motherwell, Falkirk and, eventually, Aberdeen. If a firesale does take place in January, we'll surely go backwards as others improve. I have no problem with the non-OF sides being our rivals, by the way: it's what history tells us, and spending money we don't have is not the way forward. The question for me, though, is how much money we're still losing, and whether the cashflow within the club is healthy.

Charlie-Brown
Massive, mate, massive! We're still 18th, even with those six points accrued - but at least it looks as though a full-on relegation battle will probably be avoided.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I don't think the 5th placed side will make it if either of the OF win the Cup. If we need to finish in the top 4, I struggle to see it: I currently favour Killie for 4th, but it's ridiculously close between them, us, Hibs, Motherwell, Falkirk and, eventually, Aberdeen. If a firesale does take place in January, we'll surely go backwards as others improve. I have no problem with the non-OF sides being our rivals, by the way: it's what history tells us, and spending money we don't have is not the way forward. The question for me, though, is how much money we're still losing, and whether the cashflow within the club is healthy.

Scotland has 2 champions league places, 2 uefa cup places and 1 inter-toto - next season the inter-toto place will become compulsory and the IT cup is scrapped and will become a preliminary round of the Europa league so in effect the SPL will have 3 Uefa places - cup losers can no longer qualify so unless someone outwith the top 5 wins the scottish cup then 1st-5th in the SPL WILL be in europe next season.

Scotland has 2 champions league places, 2 uefa cup places and 1 inter-toto - next season the inter-toto place will become compulsory and the IT cup is scrapped and will become a preliminary round of the Europa league so in effect the SPL will have 3 Uefa places - cup losers can no longer qualify so unless someone outwith the top 5 wins the scottish cup then 1st-5th in the SPL WILL be in europe next season.

NMH, I'm still not sure about this. There have been contradictory reports about whether the Cup runners up get in or not all over the place; and Bert Kassies' site doesn't seem to know yet either.

Archived