Pele & Maradona In Birthday Punch-Up

deejpee

Taken from another footballing website.. Aparently it's also on Goal.com. Here is some of what i read..

Footballing legends Pele and Diego Maradona were involved in an explosive fist-fight last night during a special party to celebrate the Brazilian?s 68th birthday.

Pele has had a long and bitter feud with Argentine hero Maradona, who has always accused the Brazilian of being part of the ?devil? family of FIFA

Maradona stubbed out his Cuban cigar into Pele's expensive Persian rug and immediately launched himself into a tirade: ?Greatest player in the history? Haha?Greatest player in the history of what?

?Pele, you are the biggest myth there has ever been. You are not even close to being the greatest ever player in your own country. Were you better than Zico, Garrincha, Rivelino, Ronaldo? Only FIFA and all the dirty people behind you proclaim you as the best ever.

?The real people know that I am the greatest and this is all that matters. I am the real deal, you are a fraud and a sell-out.?

Pele then responded in kind. ?Diego, please tell me, what *** have you been taking tonight?

?You are a cheat and a bad role model. You are a bad example to young children. Now get out of my house and stop embarrassing me in front of these distinguished people.?

Never knew there was such bad blood between these two.. Superb story though!

did u read the whole article? :D

LOL!!! I obviously read an edited version :rolleyes: The actual article is called 'Calcio Comedy: Pele & Maradona In Birthday Punch-Up'

Still well worth a read :o

Personally I find it hard to believe that Pele said "what *** have you been taking tonight?". Just doesn't fit the guy at all...

El Diego, the best player in the World, by a mile

Did Pele, single handedly (sorry to our English viewers, no pun intended) win a title like Maradona did with Napoli? No, I thought not.

He carried a mediocre Argentina side to numerous victories. Famously, after a quip by Lovejoy on Soccer am, where Lovejoy claimed that there should have been a "foul" called before he set off on that fantastic run and scored a "legit" goal, Peter Reid said "I don't remember that, infact, I'm still chasing him"

Go on Diego...you arethe man!

I think that Messi, is now the man, forget Ronaldo, Messi is on another astral plain..

Think Pele scored over 1000 goals but people say most were against spl equivalent teams so it doesn't count much. But in all fairness he scored his fair share in world cups and was part of the teams that one 4 world cups (i think).

The end of the day Maradona was a midfielder and Pele was a striker. 2 different players each legends of their respective positions.

Think Pele scored over 1000 goals but people say most were against spl equivalent teams so it doesn't count much. But in all fairness he scored his fair share in world cups and was part of the teams that one 4 world cups (i think).

The end of the day Maradona was a midfielder and Pele was a striker. 2 different players each legends of their respective positions.

Think it was 3 WC's with maybe one Copa America

Think it was 3 WC's with maybe one Copa America

I actually remember an interview after France world cup when France one it and Pele was one of the guests in the studio and one of the other guys said to him, 'so Pele, Zidane, some say he is the greatest player ever, what do you think?' Pele simply replied, 'has he scored over 1000 goals?, has he won 4 world cups?, and does he have the time too?'. the guy was all, erm.. ah.. ahem... Thats where i think i got the 4 from but hey, its all good.

I actually remember an interview after France world cup when France one it and Pele was one of the guests in the studio and one of the other guys said to him, 'so Pele, Zidane, some say he is the greatest player ever, what do you think?' Pele simply replied, 'has he scored over 1000 goals?, has he won 4 world cups?, and does he have the time too?'. the guy was all, erm.. ah.. ahem... Thats where i think i got the 4 from but hey, its all good.

Mybe your right... He only ever played for one club tho didnt he? Santos

Really? didnt know that. I wonder what equivalent league in /Europe the brazilian league is? (any takers?) Seems a really intense league if anything.

New york Cosmos eh. Pretty touching. International debut at 16, world cup at 17. scored a double in that cup final and possibly one of the best ever world cup final goals. no bad! :-)

From what I've seen of them I would go along with those that say Maradonna was better. It's frightening to think of how good he could of been if he had stayed off the Charlie.

Brazil didn't win their 4th World Cup until 1994 so he only has 3:)

From what I've seen of them I would go along with those that say Maradonna was better. It's frightening to think of how good he could of been if he had stayed off the Charlie.

Me too lol

Brazil didn't win their 4th World Cup until 1994 so he only has 3:)

Cheers :-)

It's difficult to compare players from different eras. In todays game both would be relatively ordinary, well maybe Maradonna would fit better in terms of his cheating.

For me if you are looking for a best player, taking account of the period they played, of all time Pele is still at the top of the league, Cryuff sits in second place with Zidane in third.

There are those such as writer Brian Glanville who say that Alfredo Di Stefano was better than the pair of them.

this_is_my_story
It's difficult to compare players from different eras. In todays game both would be relatively ordinary, well maybe Maradonna would fit better in terms of his cheating.

For me if you are looking for a best player, taking account of the period they played, of all time Pele is still at the top of the league, Cryuff sits in second place with Zidane in third.

Sorry?

Say What Again

HA HA HA HA HA

That's priceless!

Maradona ordinary in todays game :P

He's probably still get a game for us.

The Real Maroonblood
Speak to Sir Bobby Charlton and he will tell you Duncan Edwards was a better player than Pele.

Totally unbiased opinion.

:):)

Archived