SFA Consider Novo For Scotland....

Guest juvehearts

Guest juvehearts

that is novo wanting to play for scotland

this is BBc reporting that the SFA will consider him in the next squad if he changes his passport ;)

Guest Dipped Flake
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7688703.stm

A simple passport change & hes in the next scotland squad. :eek:

not IF now its WHEN. :(

Sorry but that is not what it says. It says that IF Novo gets a british passport he will be considered for the Scotland squad in the same way as every other eligible player; i.e. if Burley thinks he is good enough then he will get in.

jamboinglasgow

I dont the idea of us getting mercenaries into the Scottish team, it is not a good precident to go down. Eastern European countries do it alot with Brazilians as they get a passport fast tracked.

I think it is not fair to young scots to see a player like Novo get a scotland cap (if he does get one.)

my thoughts might be contraversial to some...

i'm not adverse to players pledging allegiance to Scotland... after all, there are Ethiopians who have (in the past) represented Holland at athletics, there was an English lassie who went on to represent Italy too (long jump). Ok - different sports, but none the less, we need to consider talent who have effectively become native.

Novo is a highly under-rated player, but has served his time in Scotland and has offered to support the country he lives in. Lets not chastise him for that.

Novo playing for Scotland would be a short term thing anyway - he will prob have 2 or 3 years left at the top of the game. If he scores 2 or 3 for Scotland and this helps raise the profile of Scottish fitba - then why not.

I just wish the SFA would show some signs that they want Andy Driver to play for Scotland.

Frankenstein Jambo.
Could he technically also play for Wales, Norn Iron or England? In the same way folk from the Channel Isles can choose?

Its a brittish passport so yes he can .... I think. :rolleyes:

Scott_HMFC1874

How p***ed off must Kris Boyd be haha!

Dont get me wrong, dislike that wee scrote Novo, but hes a decent player, if can bang in a few goals in important games like he does for Rangers, then why not give him the chance!

Noticed someone mentioned about Andy Driver, would he want to play for Scotland? Novo says he'd want to. But Driver maybe wants to wait his chance for England.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Not that I'm that bothered about the National Team, but this would simply be wrong. We'd be as well going the whole hog and having the World Cup contested by the EPL, La Liga, Serie A ect select teams, instead of National Teams.

I just wish the SFA would show some signs that they want Andy Driver to play for Scotland.

He's not able to since he was born in England. I'm sure theres an agreement with the home nations that a player from one can't play for any others full national team.

Driver can't play for Scotland due to an agreement between the home countries.

my thoughts might be contraversial to some...

i'm not adverse to players pledging allegiance to Scotland... after all, there are Ethiopians who have (in the past) represented Holland at athletics, there was an English lassie who went on to represent Italy too (long jump). Ok - different sports, but none the less, we need to consider talent who have effectively become native.

Novo is a highly under-rated player, but has served his time in Scotland and has offered to support the country he lives in. Lets not chastise him for that.

Novo playing for Scotland would be a short term thing anyway - he will prob have 2 or 3 years left at the top of the game. If he scores 2 or 3 for Scotland and this helps raise the profile of Scottish fitba - then why not.

I like Billy Reid's quote but did he not say the opposite when he said he respected James McCarthy's decision to play for the Rep?

If he brings benefit to the team (which he will do) then I don't see the issue. Most countries do it nowadays anyway and a number of players in the Scotland team aren't Scottish already.

How p***ed off must Kris Boyd be haha!

Dont get me wrong, dislike that wee scrote Novo, but hes a decent player, if can bang in a few goals in important games like he does for Rangers, then why not give him the chance!

Noticed someone mentioned about Andy Driver, would he want to play for Scotland? Novo says he'd want to. But Driver maybe wants to wait his chance for England.

It is highly unlikely that Driver will ever be good enough to play for England.

He's not able to since he was born in England. I'm sure theres an agreement with the home nations that a player from one can't play for any others full national team.

Eh?

What about Graeme Alexander, James Morrison, James McEveley and Kris Commons? Doesn't stop them.

Guest Dipped Flake
If he brings benefit to the team (which he will do) then I don't see the issue. Most countries do it nowadays anyway and a number of players in the Scotland team aren't Scottish already.

It is highly unlikely that Driver will ever be good enough to play for England.

Eh?

What about Graeme Alexander, James Morrison, James McEveley and Kris Commons? Doesn't stop them.

The 4 above all have Scottish parents/grandparents so qualify. The agreement is that any player born in one of the home countries with no other home country parents/grandparents can only play for the country he was born in.

Could he technically also play for Wales, Norn Iron or England? In the same way folk from the Channel Isles can choose?

Yep,I doubt very much if Matt Le Tissier chose Scotland there would have been a hooha made of it,I think it was Roxburgh that wanted him to play for us ,but he wanted to play for engerlund.

Did big Lorenzo 'fud' Amorouso not try this stunt as well only to be shot down in flames?

The 4 above all have Scottish parents/grandparents so qualify. The agreement is that any player born in one of the home countries with no other home country parents/grandparents can only play for the country he was born in.

Yeah that's right, its unless they have a "direct relative" from the other nation.

alwaysthereinspirit
Sorry but that is not what it says. It says that IF Novo gets a british passport he will be considered for the Scotland squad in the same way as every other eligible player; i.e. if Burley thinks he is good enough then he will get in.

Of course he's f@#$%^g good enough.

He plays for Rankgers.;)

Did big Lorenzo 'fud' Amorouso not try this stunt as well only to be shot down in flames?

Don't know about 'shot down in flames'. He had played for Italy at under 21 level - that disqualified him.

Borthers - correct - Agbonlahor recently chose to play for England - could have played for any of the home nations.

See Almunia is doing the same thing as well - saying he wants to play for England.

Driver can't play for Scotland due to an agreement between the home countries.

yeah - you guys are right. there is supposed to be some sort of agreement.

but.

like Novo - Andy Driver could be considered native due to his time up here.

he hasn't got full honours and has potential to become a top player up here. i'm not saying we chuck the agreement out the window... just that it's time to bend the rules to make them work for us. every other national FA seem to do it when it is convenient...

the SFA - they prefer to shoot themselves in the foot to maintain some sort of morale high ground.

i think the SFA need to find some baws and go for talented players if they think they can offer the national team something. we've lost McCarthy and "Aiden the Turncoat" - it's time for the SFA to stop sitting on it's hands and move into the new millenium. taking a chance on Novo and even approaching Andy Driver is "modernist" thinking which will help improve the national team down the line.

Randle P McMurphy

If we are going to exploit this loophole, shouldn't we be looking at Arteta? he is also close to qualifying for a British passport under the same rule. Are there any others out there?

Don't know about 'shot down in flames'. He had played for Italy at under 21 level - that disqualified him.

Borthers - correct - Agbonlahor recently chose to play for England - could have played for any of the home nations.

See Almunia is doing the same thing as well - saying he wants to play for England.

Agbonlahor couldn't have played for Wales or Norn Iron. His mum's Scottish which is why he could have played for us. His Dad's Nigerian and he was born in England.

If we are going to exploit this loophole, shouldn't we be looking at Arteta? he is also close to qualifying for a British passport under the same rule. Are there any others out there?

Has he not played for Spain though?

south morocco
Has he not played for Spain though?

no uncapped at any level, thats why he's eligible for us as well as being here for eight odd years on the bounce,would you take him ?

no uncapped at any level, thats why he's eligible for us as well as being here for eight odd years on the bounce,would you take him ?

I meant Arteta.

Archived