55 nominations for ?World XI?

jamboBG

FIFPro (F?d?ration Internationale des Associations de Footballers Professionnels), the worldwide representative organisation for all professional footballers, today announced the 55 players shortlisted for the 4th FIFPro World XI Player Awards.

In August and September this year the 45,000 professional footballers belonging to the 42 professional organisations across the world that form FIFPro received voting forms in a secret ballot to nominate their peers for inclusion in their ?World XI? - choosing the four defenders, three midfielders, three forwards and goalkeeper they most admire.

The 55 player shortlist in full is: (Home country/ Club 2007/2008)

Goalkeepers: Artur Boruc (Poland/ Celtic), Gianluigi Buffon (Italy/ Juventus), Iker Casillas (Spain/ Real Madrid), Petr Cech (Czech Republic/ Chelsea), Edwin van der Sar (Holland/ Manchester United)

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Brazil/ Sevilla), Jos? Bosingwa (Portugal/ FC Porto), Fabio Cannavaro (Italy/ Real Madrid), Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal/ Chelsea), Ga?l Clichy (France, Arsenal), Ashley Cole (England/ Chelsea), Patrice Evra (France/ Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (England/ Manchester United), Philipp Lahm (Germany/ Bayern Munich), Ferreira Lucio (Brazil/Bayern Munich), Paolo Maldini (Italy/ AC Milan), Alessandro Nesta (Italy/ AC Milan), K?pler Laveran Lima Ferreira ?Pepe? (Portugal/ Real Madrid), Carles Puyol (Spain/ Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Spain/ Real Madrid), John Terry (England/ Chelsea), Nemanja Vidic (Serbia/ Manchester United), Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy/ Barcelona), Javier Zanetti (Argentina/ Inter), Yuri Zhirkov (Russia/ CSKA Moscow).

Midfielders: Anderson Deco (Portugal/ Barcelona), Michael Ballack (Germany/ Chelsea), Micka?l Essien (Ghana/ Chelsea), Gennaro Gattuso (Italy/ AC Milan), Cesc Fabregas (Spain/ Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (England/ Liverpool), Andr?s Iniesta (Spain/ Barcelona), Ricardo Kak? (Brazil/ AC Milan), Frank Lampard (England/ Chelsea), Javier Mascherano (Argentina/ Liverpool), Andrea Pirlo (Italy/ AC Milan), Franck Ribery (France/ Bayern Munich), Marcos Senna (Spain/ Villareal), Wesley Sneijder (Holland/ Real Madrid), Xavi (Spain/ Barcelona).

Forwards: Andrei Arshavin (Russia/ Zenit St Petersburg), Dimitar Berbatov (Bulgaria/ Tottenham Hotspur), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast/ Chelsea), Samuel Eto?o (Cameroon/ Barcelona), Thierry Henry (France/ Barcelona), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden/ Inter), Lionel Messi (Argentina/ Barcelona), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Holland/ Real Madrid), Ronaldinho (Brazil/ Barcelona), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/ Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (England/ Manchester United), Carlos T?vez (Argentina/ Manchester United), Luca Toni (Italy/ Bayern Munich), Fernando Torres (Spain/ Liverpool), David Villa (Spain/ Valencia).

The final World XI and the FIFPro World Player of the year will be announced at 27 October 2008.

Prince Buaben
I seen the first name and stopped reading.

Nonsense.

Did the same :eek::eek:

makes the list look daft

I seen the first name and stopped reading.

Nonsense.

But he's ?13million rated dont you Alan!! He's the best goalie in the UK ......................

At munching pies by the looks of it!! It is disgraceful that he even gets onto a list like that!

Boruc's inclusion is as ludicrous as the exclusion of Julio Cesar of Inter.

Similarly, Douglas Maicon the world's best right back has been left out. Bizarre.

Totals By Club

Barcelona(9)

Chelsea(8)

Manchester United(7)

Real Madrid(6)

AC Milan(5)

Bayern Munich(4)

Liverpool(3)

Inter(2)

Arsenal(2)

Zenit St Petersburg(1)

Villareal(1)

Valencia(1)

Tottenham Hotspur(1)

Sevilla(1)

Juventus(1)

FC Porto(1)

CSKA Moscow(1)

Celtic(1)

By League

EPL(21)

La Liga(18)

Serie A(8)

Bundesliga(4)

Russian League(2)

SPL(1)

Portugese League(1)

By Nationality

Spain(9)

Italy(8)

England(6)

Portugal(5)

Argentina(4)

Brazil(4)

France(4)

Holland(3)

Germany(2)

Russia(2)

Bulgaria(1)

Cameroon(1)

Czech Republic(1)

Ghana(1)

Ivory Coast(1)

Poland(1)

Serbia(1)

Sweden(1)

By Continent

Europe(44)

South America(8)

Africa(8)

Norfolk and Chance

Similarly, Douglas Maicon the world's best right back has been left out. Bizarre.

Being as the votes are cast by the players I would assume that there must have been a pretty unanimous vote for Buffon from the Serie A players. Kind of understandable. Whereas, in England, for example, players may be more likely to elect more than one contender, such as Cech or VDS. Also, Chelsea and Man Utd's appearance in the UCL final must have garnered their players a lot of extra votes. As for Maicon, I totally agree but it would appear that Serie A players have nominated Zanetti as Inter's RB, despite his recent selection further forward. Maicon is a tremendous player

Prince Buaben
The inclusion of Ronaldinho is a mystery to. He was total Pesh last season.

think reputations aswell get people in.

Prince Buaben

okay who would be your world XI??

Think the player one is already wrapped up

the voice from above

From that list:

Iker Casillas

Philipp Lahm Rio Ferdinand Ricardo Carvalho Patrice Evra

Marcos Senna

Wesley Sneijder

Andr?s Iniesta Kak? Lionel Messi

Fernando Torres

I take it Kris Boyd isn't in the list as he decided he had nothing to prove so withdrew from it

Nah mate, he spat the dummy and told FIFA that because he wasn't on it last time, he doesn't want to be considered for the "World XI" whilst Platini is there!

....................Casillas

Alves.......Terry.......Vidic.......Evra

......................Xavi

.....Sneijder......Kaka......Arshavin

...............Villa........Torres

Up until recently Boruc was amazing, he was one of the top keepers at Euro 2008.

This season, however, he has all the makings of a Hobo keeper.

That aside, I would hate to attempt to pick eleven from that lot, there are so many players that shouldn't be left out. For instance, how do pick three from the list of forwards???

To be fair Julio Cruz had one of the best goal ratio's earlier this year if I can remember correctly.

rudi must stay

well done to them. Don't like the guy but Boruc is a great goalie, he's proved it even at the World cup. You can't get much better than that imo. He's also not as well known as the other keepers, so they have avoided just putting in the usual big names

Have to ask,but where is the "world class" Laryea Kingston,how is he not on this list?

Barcelona heads the list for the most nominations with 9. Chelsea follows with 8, Manchester United have 7, Real Madrid 6, AC Milan 5, Bayern Munich 4, Arsenal 3, Liverpool and Inter 2 and there is 1 each from Juventus, Internazionale, Sevilla, Valencia, Villareal, Tottenham Hotspur, Olympique Lyon, Celtic, FC Porto, CSKA Moscow and Zenit St Petersburg.

:cool:

....................Casillas

Alves.......Terry.......Vidic.......Evra

......................Xavi

.....Sneijder......Kaka......Arshavin

...............Villa........Torres

Dunno how I missed Ronaldo from my team :eek:

He should be in place of Sneijder

Gianluigi Buffon

Carles Puyol, Fabio Cannavaro, Ricardo Carvalho, Patrice Evra

Cristiano Ronaldo, Javier Mascherano, Ricardo Kak?, Micka?l Essien, Lionel Messi

Ruud van Nistelrooy

From that list, that is the team I would select.

It's because he's listed as a striker. I almost did the same

You somehow missed the best player in the world by a country mile too!

The inclusion of Ronaldinho is a mystery to. He was total Pesh last season.

since his move to AC he has been back to form though. he was immense during the milan derby.

Archived