HEARTS v ABERDEEN at Tynecastle...memories?.

japanjambo

Charlie-Brown

League Cup section game back in 1981 or 1982 - we were still in the 1st Division and they were the best team in Scotland , we won 1-0 thanks to a great goal from Alex MacDonald who cut inside Rougvie, Miller & McLeish to fire low past past Bandy Leighton, there wasn't a huge crowd but we were going mental at the goal and at full-time and it was Hearts first good result in bloody ages.

Approx 1987. At the smokey , bustling , heaving old Tynecastle! I think it was my first game v Aberdeen surprisingly, considering i was about 3,4 years into supporting Hearts regulalry.( i was 13).

I remember it well because it was the main game on Sportscene that night and i got caught on camera at the winning goal!

Hearts won 2-1. Aberdeen were still a good side then with Miller and McLeish still in centre defence. They took the lead but a persistent Hearts hit back through J.C and Robbo on a misty November afternoon.

:)

Sounds familiar, reckon it may have been Nov 1986. I went to the game with my friend and his Dad who were both Aberdeen fans, so had to stand with them in the away end. I remember the 2 Hearts goals being awesome that day.

DuffKirkMacKenzie
Great game. A wet Wednesday night. That may have put us at the top of the league.

We also beat them 2-1 a couple of years later in midweek with a Davie McPherson thunderbolt. All goals in first 15 mins.

These were the days!

My niece & her pal were visiting from New Zealand & I took them to the Wed night game when Big Davie scored. The Hearts fans wre chanting 'Sheep sh gging B.......s, yer only .....'. My niece turned to her mate & said 'how did they know we are here'.:P

There's been a couple of dull ones down the years too, like Aberdeen winning the league at Tynecastle in 1984, and any result they've got here in recent seasons.

The worst one for me though was them thrashing us 4-0 in Jan 92 when we were sitting top of the league. Talk about coming down to Earth with a thud.

Buffalo Bill

That one was a real sickener.

I was in the school end that night. That save was breathtaking! Shot from Neil Simpson, I believe. Henry's bottom right hand corner. He tipped it round the post, after his view had been blocked by a melee of players. How he ever saw that ball, never mind actually getting to it, I'll never know. One of the best saves I've ever seen.

Lynn

He had no right to make that save - it was outrageous.

I think there is a pic of it in the book about the 1985-86 season?

Sounds familiar, reckon it may have been Nov 1986. I went to the game with my friend and his Dad who were both Aberdeen fans, so had to stand with them in the away end. I remember the 2 Hearts goals being awesome that day.

I think your right mate. Just checked the Gritty book and we won 2-1 Nov 86 as you say with JC, JR scoring.

Always remember Archie MacPherson being excited about the way Hearts came back to overpower Aberdeen.

Surprisingly though we went on to finish 5th that season but being in europe aswell probably hindered our league form as usual.

We never seem to have a good domestic season when we`re in Europe, very rarely anyway, we may have had a decent one under Levein because we finished 3rd twice in a row.:)

Archived