HEARTS v ABERDEEN at Tynecastle...memories?.

japanjambo

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19861115.html

This game always stuck in my mind for the sublime goal Robbo scored after coming on as sub. It was just pure instinct. He hit is so early and it just curled into the bottom right hand corner, out of Leighton's reach. I was behind the goals at the school end. We had come back from a goal down. The place went balistic! There was another run from Robbo, where he took on about four players from the half way line, right to the 18 yard box, before unleashing a great shot. Think Leighton got to that one. Anybody else remember this match? Even Archie MacPherson was crowing about wee Robbo's performance!

Wish they'd stick these highlights up on Hearts TV!

Lynn:ph34r:

I remember the game well and at the time, we were something like 18 months unbeaten at Tynecastle. I think Robbo got man of the match, even though he only came on at half time. It was a fantastic match.

Classic Aberdeen v Hearts at Tynecastle?

I give you the drama and celebration of May 3rd 2006; la la la la.

Buffalo Bill

Gary Naysmith's 30-yard raker under the floodlights in 1998 always springs to mind when we're playing the Dollies at home.

A fantastic goal.

Another great game was in Jan 2002, real end to end stuff again. Tommi Gronlund scored a great goal to make it 1-0, but Aberdeen scored just before half time. We just swept them aside in the second half.

Then there was Hearts 4 Aberdeen 1 from Aug 1997. This was probably the soundest beaten we've even given them at Tynecastle in my time. McCann, Fulton and Cameron ripped them apart, and one Mr Windass was very quiet afterwards, having of course shouted his gob off about us before the game.

There was also a game from about Sep 1999, when Hearts wore their away kit. I think McSwegan got a hattrick.

...and finally a game from Sep 94, where Frail scored an absolute peach with the outside of his foot.

Buffalo Bill

There's been a couple of dull ones down the years too, like Aberdeen winning the league at Tynecastle in 1984, and any result they've got here in recent seasons.

The worst one for me though was them thrashing us 4-0 in Jan 92 when we were sitting top of the league. Talk about coming down to Earth with a thud.

Buffalo Bill

Gary Naysmith's 30-yard raker under the floodlights in 1998 always springs to mind when we're playing the Dollies at home.

A fantastic goal.

My personal favourite too...... still sends shivers through me!

I remember JJ being up in the stand due to having a dodgy back, i doubt that goal helped his recovery!!!

I remember when Dean Windass spoke to the Daily Ranger telling them they were gonna prove they were the third best team in Scotland by beating us at Tynecastle.

We went on to hump them 4-1 I think, it may even have been the same match Le Chat is talkking about with the Naysmith goal.

I remember when Dean Windass spoke to the Daily Ranger telling them they were gonna prove they were the third best team in Scotland by beating us at Tynecastle.

We went on to hump them 4-1 I think, it may even have been the same match Le Chat is talkking about with the Naysmith goal.

Different game mate, but i remember the one you mean.

Was shortly before the Gorgie Stand opened.

What about a certain penalty from Paul Hartley to get us 2nd in the league...?

Can't believe nobody has mentions hartley's penalty to send us into CL and split the vermin for good!

I think that's what BB was alluding to in his first post.

I think that's what BB was alluding to in his first post.

Yeah sorry - scrolled right past that!

Apologies BB

Prince Buaben

My first Hearts v Aberdeen at Tynie was 0-0!

cant beat may the 3rd 2006 although the Scottish Cup Game of january that year was good aswell. :)

boy_in_maroon

the 85-86 season, our unbeaten run about to end.......

nails bitten up to the elbow......

John Colquhoun scores yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, :)

hated when they came to Tynie think it was end of season 93-94? defeat would send them to div 1.... the rest is history.:sad:

Not for a football moment, but big Eugene Dadi's sending off for a second bookable offense a few years ago when we were a few goals up....and him walking off the park to a chorus off 'who's your f****n Daddi now'

Pure class!

Not for a football moment, but big Eugene Dadi's sending off for a second bookable offense a few years ago when we were a few goals up....and him walking off the park to a chorus off 'who's your f****n Daddi now'

Pure class!

:biggrin:

I'd forgotten about that.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Steven Pressleys dive to win a penalty against some journeyman whos name escapes me. Noel something maybe?

It was the most blatant dive I've ever seen. :)

the first home match vs them in the 85/86 season. they had just pumped the hobos in the final of the diddy cup and were still quite a big cheese in the grand scheme of things in football. the game is always remembered for a gordon banks-esque save from 'enry but the most important thing was that we won 1-0 (levein). i remember being really chuffed that 'lil old hearts had beaten such a mighty team.

oh how the game has changed.

Banksie swinging on the bar last season was a brief ray of sunshine in a dull period of results.

was that against the sheep? I kind of thought it was the mighty Gretna or some other team of that stature, hold on wait a minute........................:)

I do remember back in the old days 70's a game being 2-2 after 10 minutes and I think Wille Gibson scored both of ours. The score however did not change after that but corr blimey it was some 10 minutes.

The 4-1 humping of Aberdeen in August 1997 sticks in my mind and the fans chanting Deano, Deano, what's the score after the 4th one went in. Living in Aberdeen at the time it was a sweet victory. We saw Roy Aitken in his car driving back to Aberdeen and in one of the papers it said he had given the team a severe talking to on the team bus back to the Granite City - garbage!! We reckoned he'd made as quick a getaway as possible from Tynecastle!

October 1985...they had just beaten Hibs to win the Skol cup (if that was what it was called in those days). We won 1-0 thanks to a goal from Craig Levein.

1st time we had beaten them since we came back up if IIRC.

I remember the game well and at the time, we were something like 18 months unbeaten at Tynecastle. I think Robbo got man of the match, even though he only came on at half time. It was a fantastic match.

Classic Aberdeen v Hearts at Tynecastle?

I give you the drama and celebration of May 3rd 2006; la la la la.

Buffalo Bill

The loudest noise heard in the World since Mount St Helens exploded (until a couple of weeks later when we won the SC of course). My ears were ringing for ages after that game. Takis Fyssas singing the Champions League song.

I'll never forget that evening, not ever.

Wed 07 Oct 1987. Top of the table clash. Hen Broon scored from outside the penalty box with a cracking shot. It was a clever free kick move with the ball laid off to him. We beat them 2-1 with Robbo scoring the other goal.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19861115.html

This game always stuck in my mind for the sublime goal Robbo scored after coming on as sub. It was just pure instinct. He hit is so early and it just curled into the bottom right hand corner, out of Leighton's reach. I was behind the goals at the school end. We had come back from a goal down. The place went balistic! There was another run from Robbo, where he took on about four players from the half way line, right to the 18 yard box, before unleashing a great shot. Think Leighton got to that one. Anybody else remember this match? Even Archie MacPherson was crowing about wee Robbo's performance!

Wish they'd stick these highlights up on Hearts TV!

Lynn:ph34r:

That's the first game I can remember being at, I remember Robbo running around the fence in front of the shed and the benches when he scored. For the winner, Willie Miller was down injured in the Aberdeen box at the time - it's a fine sight to see Robbo's shot rattling past him as it goes into the bottom corner.

I've still got the highlights on video, I'm sure Archie's co-commentator is some Bowls player who happened to be a Hearts fan.

Pretty certain my first ever league game watching Hearts was against Aberdeen in Sept 1992. Checking London Hearts confirms my memory that we won 1-0 with Robbo scoring the only goal of the game, pretty sure the assist was by Derek Ferguson as well.

We have since played Aberdeen 5 times on the weekend of my birthday with us winning 3 (all at home), drawing 1 and losing 1 (both away). Two of those games were on my actual birthday two years in succession. The first was in 98' when Fulton scored the screamer from thirty yards that dipped over Leighton and a certain Mr. Pressley got his first goal for the club. The next year we beat them thanks to a Gary McSwegan hat-trick, that was an especially nice birthday present considering the short arsed fat boy was my favourite player at the time.

The other victory on my birthday weekend (the actual day of my party) was Burley's 2-0 win with Rudi and Pospisil scoring.

The game I always remember was the one when Jeffries was manager and Dean Windass had been in the papers saying they ( the sheep) were better than us and we pumped them 4-0 or 4-1. Whole of Tynecastle singing Deano Deano whats the score.

Pretty certain my first ever league game watching Hearts was against Aberdeen in Sept 1992. Checking London Hearts confirms my memory that we won 1-0 with Robbo scoring the only goal of the game, pretty sure the assist was by Derek Ferguson as well.

We have since played Aberdeen 5 times on the weekend of my birthday with us winning 3 (all at home), drawing 1 and losing 1 (both away). Two of those games were on my actual birthday two years in succession. The first was in 98' when Fulton scored the screamer from thirty yards that dipped over Leighton and a certain Mr. Pressley got his first goal for the club. The next year we beat them thanks to a Gary McSwegan hat-trick, that was an especially nice birthday present considering the short arsed fat boy was my favourite player at the time.

The other victory on my birthday weekend (the actual day of my party) was Burley's 2-0 win with Rudi and Pospisil scoring.

Was that the game when Gary Smith got sent off for nearly decapitating Prresley with a karate style kick?

Ok, any other old farts remember us humping them 6 3? Can't be bothered going to look it up but guess late sixties, Tommy White got a couple and tin hat on here, did Don Kerrigan not score all their 3 goals?

Disclaimer: if details incorrect, senior moments apply....

That's the first game I can remember being at, I remember Robbo running around the fence in front of the shed and the benches when he scored. For the winner, Willie Miller was down injured in the Aberdeen box at the time - it's a fine sight to see Robbo's shot rattling past him as it goes into the bottom corner.

I've still got the highlights on video, I'm sure Archie's co-commentator is some Bowls player who happened to be a Hearts fan.

Willie Wood?

Ok, any other old farts remember us humping them 6 3? Can't be bothered going to look it up but guess late sixties, Tommy White got a couple and tin hat on here, did Don Kerrigan not score all their 3 goals?

Disclaimer: if details incorrect, senior moments apply....

Kerrigan got two.

Alan Gordon scored a hat trick.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19641212.html

Was that the game when Gary Smith got sent off for nearly decapitating Prresley with a karate style kick?

Yeah, pretty certain it was.

Yeah, pretty certain it was.

I always remember that game and foul because it happened right under my seat in the Wheatfield - I think Elvis was playing right back that day.

Terrible foul - just shows Smith was always 'Hibs class'!

I always remember that game and foul because it happened right under my seat in the Wheatfield - I think Elvis was playing right back that day.

Terrible foul - just shows Smith was always 'Hibs class'!

I remember that pretty vividly too - was some kick like!! Its no wonder Pressley's an ugly bassa!!

Willie Wood?

Yeah, that's him. I think he actually just had a bit of chat at half time rather than for the whole thing. I'm sure his main point is that we should get Robertson on for the 2nd half. Wise words.

Doctor FinnBarr
was that against the sheep? I kind of thought it was the mighty Gretna or some other team of that stature, hold on wait a minute........................:)

I do remember back in the old days 70's a game being 2-2 after 10 minutes and I think Wille Gibson scored both of ours. The score however did not change after that but corr blimey it was some 10 minutes.

I can remember that game, we were 2-0 up in 4 minutes and in 8 minutes it was 2-2. Some people missed all 4 goals.

:eek:

Johnny Sandiego

A memory from one of last seasons Aberdeen home games, was when their team bus got trapped in Westfield Road after the game. The bus had turned right off Gorgie Road and tried to get down the street, but road works ment the street was shut at one end.

The driver was then forced to reverse back pretty much the full length off the street, into on coming traffic on Gorgie Road. After some back and forth, Sandy Clark of all people, jumped off the bus and stopped traffic so the bus could turn back.

A highlight of an otherwise uneventful afternoon!

I remember one Wednesday night game against the dons just before the wheatfield stand was built and it was just rubble. the ball got booted into the wheatfield side. There was a couple of labourers there and one of the, a fat guy ran to get the ball an he tripped and rolled down all the rubble about 10 feet. Everybody including the aberdeen fans ripped him. oh the humanity :)

October 1985...they had just beaten Hibs to win the Skol cup (if that was what it was called in those days). We won 1-0 thanks to a goal from Craig Levein.

Anyone remember Henry's last minute save? That was cheered as if we had scored!

Approx 1987. At the smokey , bustling , heaving old Tynecastle! I think it was my first game v Aberdeen surprisingly, considering i was about 3,4 years into supporting Hearts regulalry.( i was 13).

I remember it well because it was the main game on Sportscene that night and i got caught on camera at the winning goal!

Hearts won 2-1. Aberdeen were still a good side then with Miller and McLeish still in centre defence. They took the lead but a persistent Hearts hit back through J.C and Robbo on a misty November afternoon.

:)

The People's Chimp

We went on to hump them 4-1 I think

Absolutely Brilliant stuff.

About this time last season - we pumped them. Great game until a jumped up steward tried to eject me from the stadium for standing on the barrier when we scored. Something I had been doing for a few seasons without caution.

Ran away and got huckled by the idiots then taken to the police. Spent the last few mins in a freezing cell with my shoes off(if you hate hibees). 3 court dates and a ?250 fine later. Cheers - idiots!

Quite a few good memories down the years - and some great goals. Steve Frail's in a 2-0win and Gary Naysmith's (3-1 I think?) have already been mentioned.

One game v Dons that I'll never forget was a Tuesday night, January 2003 at Pittodrie. Truly awful conditions - rain, snow gales - but a 92nd minute goal from Gary Wales to hand us a 1-0 win made the trip worthwhile. There must have been about 500 of us there that night and when that goal went in it went crazy.

Another game worth mentioning is the semi-final in 1996. Robbo scored early on and Alan Johnston got the winner with a header very late on.

Paisley Jambo

Great game. A wet Wednesday night. That may have put us at the top of the league.

We also beat them 2-1 a couple of years later in midweek with a Davie McPherson thunderbolt. All goals in first 15 mins.

These were the days!

alwaysthereinspirit

Henry Smith. Best save ever. School end. Night game. Hearts won the game 1 - 0. Levein header. Fact.

Henry Smith. Best save ever. School end. Night game. Hearts won the game 1 - 0. Levein header. Fact.

I was in the school end that night. That save was breathtaking! Shot from Neil Simpson, I believe. Henry's bottom right hand corner. He tipped it round the post, after his view had been blocked by a melee of players. How he ever saw that ball, never mind actually getting to it, I'll never know. One of the best saves I've ever seen.

Lynn

Quite a few good memories down the years - and some great goals. Steve Frail's in a 2-0win and Gary Naysmith's (3-1 I think?) have already been mentioned.

One game v Dons that I'll never forget was a Tuesday night, January 2003 at Pittodrie. Truly awful conditions - rain, snow gales - but a 92nd minute goal from Gary Wales to hand us a 1-0 win made the trip worthwhile. There must have been about 500 of us there that night and when that goal went in it went crazy.

Another game worth mentioning is the semi-final in 1996. Robbo scored early on and Alan Johnston got the winner with a header very late on.

Actually Robbo came on as a sub and scored with his first touch in the 81st min, then the Sheep equalised before Magic's header.

I think you'll find that the game mentioned by the OP was Aberdeen's last game before SAF took charge of Man U. Archie Knox (?) took charge as Fergie was in Manchester finalising his deal.

It was well documented he was leaving even to the extent that Aberdeen had already made an enquiry about Sandy Jardine. As a result the Great Waldo promoted Sandy to co-manager with Alex MacDonald and told the press that Sandy wouldn't be leaving.

"Why would he?" He asked the press, "Hearts are a team on the way up, whereas Aberdeen are a team on the way down!"

Also I missed henry's save fi Neil Simpson as I was on holiday and there was a TV strike. I'll just have to vote Henry's save fi Tommy Coyne (Hearts 3-1 Celtic, Nov 92ish) when he twisted in mid-air as the best I've seen.

Remember a game midweek at Tynie, towards the end of the 93/94 season. The old Wheatfield stand had just come down, and hence everyone was crammed into the Shed, School End and Main Stand. If I recall correctly it was only ?1 to get in (same for the Dundee Utd game at home the following Saturday). We were at the wrong end of the table, and needed at least 4 points from the 2 home games to be safe. A certain 22nd game took place in between the 2 home games ;-)

Just before half-time, Brian Irvine scored a header from a corner to put the Sheep 1-0 up. It wasn't looking good, and even though we battered them in the 2nd half, the ball just wouldn't go in (remember MoJo missing a sitter). Then in the last minute (or thereabouts) we get a penalty, and the wee man puts it away. Absolute bedlum, Tosh Mckinlay almost ended up in the old family enclosure celebrating with the fans. The look on Willie Miller's face was priceless. 1-1 full time, but we celebrated like we had won the league. The following Saturday, we beat Dundee Utd 2-0 at home and then went on to beat Partick away on the last day.

Archived