Haymarket - November 9th

iainmac

There will come a time soon when we need to put petty footballing rivalries to bed - amongst each other on JKB and with our neighbours across the city.

Sunday 9th November at Haymarket - this will probably be one of the most significant and poignant Remembrance Services ever held at the Clock, given that the Council would like to confine this memorial and it's location to the pages of history.

We can't and won't allow this to happen - this would be a terrible affront to the memory of all the lads from Edinburgh and surrounding districts who were brave enough to sign up for the cause in 1914. They didn't let anyone down and fought side by side, irrespective of what club they played for or supported - now it's our turn not to let them down.

We don't have to suffer the horrors of war or face the prospect of never returning home to our loved ones. All we have to do is turn up in numbers on Sunday 9th November and give up 45 minutes of our time and show this insensitive Council what we think of their proposal to move the memorial. It's not too much to ask, is it?

I would be grateful if someone could post this on Hibs.net - please, no points scoring on this occasion. This is too important.

Some context - a letter from Captain Peter Ross to Mrs Watt, telling her that her son (Edward) won't be coming home. Sent on the 30th June 1916

Dear Mrs watt,

It falls to me to perform a painful duty. Last night the 16th Royal Scots were ordered to send out a patrol. Your son, Edward, volunteered to take part with eleven of his pals from 'A' company. After getting through the German wire, the machine-guns opened fire on them. Your brave son was killed. It was the fate of three others also, whilst two were wounded, one of them seriously. I could hardly regret the boy's death more if he were my own son. He was one of the best men in the battalion.

It is over a month now since the Colonel sent in your boy's name for a special reward for his conduct. He was one of the first men in my Company to get home on leave owing to his magnificent work in the field. Quite apart from that, he was a very popular lad.

He was alongside his officer last night when this happened. The heavy wire they found was the cause of the calamity. But they have not died in vain. The Colonel authorises me to say that he is told by our General that the information obtained by the patrol has been the means of saving the lives of hundreds of men. Sir George is also greatly grieved over your son's death and asks me to convey his deepest respects.

I assure you that you have my heartfelt sympathy. I only wish that I could have brought the boy home with me, but I know not what awaits myself tomorrow. I put my trust in God and go to my duty with one of the finest Companies in the British Army.

I have the honour to be,

Yours very sincerely,

Peter Ross, Captain 'A' Company 16th Royal Scots.

Captain Ross was killed in action the next day.*

*source: McCrae's Battalion by Jack Alexander

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we have a sticky please mods? I've just copied and pasted it to hibs.net, as Iain requested.

Can we have a sticky please mods? I've just copied and pasted it to hibs.net, as Iain requested.

We won't be stickying the thread just yet, because we find that some threads get read more in the first few days if they aren't stickied.

However, we will be working over the next 17-18 days to encourage the maximum possible attendance at Haymarket on the 9th, and also at the Remembrance Sunday lunch that takes place shortly after the service.

Nooo....no sticky! People don't notice them as much and this needs to be noticed.

Great post Iain and I absolutely agree. I really hope we get the numbers on November 9th....

:)

We won't be stickying the thread just yet, because we find that some threads get read more in the first few days if they aren't stickied.

However, we will be working over the next 17-18 days to encourage the maximum possible attendance at Haymarket on the 9th, and also at the Remembrance Sunday lunch that takes place shortly after the service.

Good stuff Uly - and apologies for the request!

Without wishing to appear small minded I would be mighty surprised if any Hibs supporters supported our cause. If they were to do so it would be to their great credit, and in some small way show that they can rise above team rivalries!

This would in my opinion strengthen our case, if a united front was shown to the council.

I won't be holding my breath though........

Further more (and I may have missed it not living in the East), surely our politicians should be more vocal in support!

WorldChampions1902
Without wishing to appear small minded I would be mighty surprised if any Hibs supporters supported our cause. If they were to do so it would be to their great credit, and in some small way show that they can rise above team rivalries!

This would in my opinion strengthen our case, if a united front was shown to the council.

Further more (and I may have missed it not living in the East), surely our politicians should be more vocal in support!

If supporters of Hibernian Football Club made the effort to lay wreaths at the Memorial at Contalmaison (which they have done!), I'm sure that quite a number will continue to attend the wreath-laying ceremony at Haymarket - regardless of views about it being solely a 'Hearts memorial'.

If supporters of Hibernian Football Club made the effort to lay wreaths at the Memorial at Contalmaison (which they have done!), I'm sure that quite a number will continue to attend the wreath-laying ceremony at Haymarket - regardless of views about it being solely a 'Hearts memorial'.

Hibs directors have made the effort to travel and lay a wreath. One did so this year yet no Hearts director could. :whistling:

Hibs directors have made the effort to travel and lay a wreath. One did so this year yet no Hearts director could. :whistling:

sergi did it the first year

kennygarland1

When did you return:eek:

Thanks guys. Iain, mods (and speedbump): huge apologies for this thread going off topic. That ends now.

Sunday 9th November at Haymarket - this will probably be one of the most significant and poignant Remembrance Services ever held at the Clock, given that the Council would like to confine this memorial and it's location to the pages of history.

Not living in Edinburgh I'm a bit out of touch but did the BBC not report that the council had relented and the memorial would be returned to its rightful position after the tramworks are finished? Or did I imagine that?

Some older Hbbees have been going for years, but as no one wears scarfs nobody would know.

Not living in Edinburgh I'm a bit out of touch but did the BBC not report that the council had relented and the memorial would be returned to its rightful position after the tramworks are finished? Or did I imagine that?

No, you're right but the Council want to put the memorial into storage for at least 2 years. Jack's post refers.

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/579525-post145.html

Good post Ian. Even in this modern age, that was a powerful letter from Captain Ross! More so with the last few lines and his ultimate demise.

Was I the only one who got a shiver down the spine reading that letter?

Colonel Kurtz

Incorrect,they have been in attendance every year I have and it is to their credit.

They even turned up the year nobody at all from Hearts did.

Well said everybody on this thread. The bigger the turn out this year the better. I hope to see you all (and more) there.

Good post Ian. Even in this modern age, that was a powerful letter from Captain Ross! More so with the last few lines and his ultimate demise.

No you're not :sad:

The fact he was well aware he might be next, and indeed was, just underlines why their sacrifice has to be remembered

Anyway, I know we really shouldn't have to view it this way but a large turnout on Sunday might spike the guns amongst the ' well who's actually bothered nowadays' camp in the Council :mad:

No mate.:sad:

As you quite rightly state, the War Memorial at Haymarket is in honour of the Hearts players, Staff, and Supporters who gave their lives, rather than McCrea's Battalion who are remembered at Contalmsion.

It is worth making people aware that despite that fact, and to their credit, Hibernian Football Club have laid a wreath at Haymarket for a good few years now.

Bit miffed at poster who suggests Hibs fans would not make effort to attend. I'm sure many of our lot would make the trip if it was the other way round.

just to bump this back to the top

i'll be making an effort to attend this year as i never made it last year

fraggle, have you read Jacks book??

if you get goosebumps reading that letter, you'll love the book...

in fact, you would love it anyway!

i was crying and laughing all the way through it. definitely worth reading

In Flanders field the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Major John McCrae, May 1915

robin hood jambo

Having moved back from ingerlund this wil be my first chance to show my respect and i will be there.

I will be taking my two boys with me this year,i think that it is important that they begin to understand why we honour those who perished.

I will be taking my two boys with me this year,i think that it is important that they begin to understand why we honour those who perished.

I believe a group of about 40 pupils and staff from Tynecastle High school have just returned from Belgium and France where they were on a battlefields trip. The group visited Contalmaison where they laid a wreath at the Memorial and visited a battlefield cemetery nearby where some of the 16th Royal Scots are buried. I believe you might see an even larger contingent at the service from the school this year.

My old school Craigmount takes, or at least used to when I was there, the history students over there. I think it's a very good thing, not enough is taught about it.

J.T.F.Robertson

No, and I'm "a bit" of a cynic.

Please make this year our biggest attendance at the service for many a year, it is vitally important that we keep the pressure up on this council ...

we need to resist the idea that this memorial is moved for two years ... this is abject nonsense and two years is a non starter ...

we also need to ensure that this memorial is secure from any such behaviours of this sort in the future ...

Guest juvehearts

Im positive that this November 9th All roads leading to Haymarkey will be closed because of the turn out.

everyone I know will be in attendance.

Juve

Im positive that this November 9th All roads leading to Haymarkey will be closed because of the turn out.

everyone I know will be in attendance.

Juve

I must check out the current state of play on my way to Tynie on Saturday.

I past there about 3 weeks ago and the Clock's own traffic Island has been whittled away to nearly feck all, with barriers everywhere else !

Could be quite tricky making it safe for a large crowd :sad:

There will come a time soon when we need to put petty footballing rivalries to bed - amongst each other on JKB and with our neighbours across the city.

We can't and won't allow this to happen - this would be a terrible affront to the memory of all the lads from Edinburgh and surrounding districts who were brave enough to sign up for the cause in 1914. They didn't let anyone down and fought side by side, irrespective of what club they played for or supported - now it's our turn not to let them down.

We don't have to suffer the horrors of war or face the prospect of never returning home to our loved ones. All we have to do is turn up in numbers on Sunday 9th November and give up 45 minutes of our time and show this insensitive Council what we think of their proposal to move the memorial. It's not too much to ask, is it?

I would be grateful if someone could post this on Hibs.net - please, no points scoring on this occasion. This is too important.

Some context - a letter from Captain Peter Ross to Mrs Watt, telling her that her son (Edward) won't be coming home. Sent on the 30th June 1916

Dear Mrs watt,

It falls to me to perform a painful duty. Last night the 16th Royal Scots were ordered to send out a patrol. Your son, Edward, volunteered to take part with eleven of his pals from 'A' company. After getting through the German wire, the machine-guns opened fire on them. Your brave son was killed. It was the fate of three others also, whilst two were wounded, one of them seriously. I could hardly regret the boy's death more if he were my own son. He was one of the best men in the battalion.

It is over a month now since the Colonel sent in your boy's name for a special reward for his conduct. He was one of the first men in my Company to get home on leave owing to his magnificent work in the field. Quite apart from that, he was a very popular lad.

He was alongside his officer last night when this happened. The heavy wire they found was the cause of the calamity. But they have not died in vain. The Colonel authorises me to say that he is told by our General that the information obtained by the patrol has been the means of saving the lives of hundreds of men. Sir George is also greatly grieved over your son's death and asks me to convey his deepest respects.

I assure you that you have my heartfelt sympathy. I only wish that I could have brought the boy home with me, but I know not what awaits myself tomorrow. I put my trust in God and go to my duty with one of the finest Companies in the British Army.

I have the honour to be,

Yours very sincerely,

Peter Ross, Captain 'A' Company 16th Royal Scots.

Captain Ross was killed in action the next day.*

*source: McCrae's Battalion by Jack Alexander

Wonderful post.

Very poignant and moving indeed.

I shall be at the service this year as always... it is the very least any of us can do.

There but for the grace of God

I must check out the current state of play on my way to Tynie on Saturday.

I past there about 3 weeks ago and the Clock's own traffic Island has been whittled away to nearly feck all, with barriers everywhere else !

Could be quite tricky making it safe for a large crowd :sad:

Anyone got any info on the roadworks that could cause problems for those planning to attend on the 9th ?

Seymour M Hersh
anyone know the travel situatation for sunday for our fans that live far away?

juve

ps a wee btttt.

Unless your local supporters bus is putting a bus on I suspect it is make your own way there. Be there for 10:30/10:45 and you'll be fine.

Guest juvehearts
Unless your local supporters bus is putting a bus on I suspect it is make your own way there. Be there for 10:30/10:45 and you'll be fine.

mines always does every day, called LRT lol

Archived