Scotlands Best Loved Song  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Scotlands Best Loved Song

• Runrig Loch Lomond
    • The Speccy Hobos, 500 Miles
    • Dougie McLean Caledonia
    • Big Country Fields of Fire
    • Deacon Blue Dignity

Scotland's unofficial national anthem, Flower of Scotland, has been knocked out of the running in a competition to find the country's best-loved song.

The song,failed to make it on to a list of the top five contenders for the title.

The contenders I will poll to see what the rest of you think.

My favourite is Caledonia by Dougie McLean followed by Big Country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7679661.stm

Hibs fans they may be, but the Proclaimers' 500 miles is surely head and shoulders above the rest here? Always gets the whole place jumping (Hearts fans included) whenver I've been at a Scottish wedding/ceilidh etc :)

Carl Spackler

Not that I have any dislike of the songs themselves but any of those would be an embarresment as a national anthem.

i love caledonia, so that gets my vote

i hate runrig, but feel that their version of loch lomond ought to be in there though. one of those songs that would get the stands at any stadium bouncing i reckon

Hibs fans they may be, but the Proclaimers' 500 miles is surely head and shoulders above the rest here? Always gets the whole place jumping (Hearts fans included) whenver I've been at a Scottish wedding/ceilidh etc :)

Heard it at 2 weddings. One it got booed the other it got ignored. Terrible, terrible song.

None of these songs really really have the gravitas to be our national anthem .

Best one I've heard recently is a song called "I am my Country" - words put to the tune of Highland Cathedral. Really excellent. A singer called Will Martin has just recorded it. It's well worth considering.

What the feck's wrong with Scotland the Brave ?

Hark when the night is falling,

Hear! hear the pipes are calling,

Loudly and proudly calling,

Down thro' the glen.

There where the hills are sleeping,

Now feel the blood a-leaping,

High as the spirits of the old Highland men.

Chorus

Towering in gallant fame,

Scotland my mountain hame,

High may your proud standards gloriously wave,

Land of my high endeavour,

Land of the shining river,

Land of my heart for ever,

Scotland the brave.

High in the misty Highlands

Out by the purple islands,

Brave are the hearts that beat

Beneath Scottish skies.

Wild are the winds to meet you,

Staunch are the friends that greet you,

Kind as the love that shines from fair maidens' eyes.

Chorus

Far off in sunlit places

Sad are the Scottish faces,

Yearning to feel the kiss

Of sweet Scottish rain.

Where the tropics are beaming

Love sets the heart a-dreaming,

Longing and dreaming for the hameland again.

Chorus

Scotland's unofficial national anthem, Flower of Scotland, has been knocked out of the running in a competition to find the country's best-loved song.

The song,failed to make it on to a list of the top five contenders for the title.

The contenders I will poll to see what the rest of you think.

My favourite is Caledonia by Dougie McLean followed by Big Country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7679661.stm

Just to clarify.

These songs are not choices for Scotland's "national anthem", they are a list of the apparent "best loved songs".

Deek's thread heading could be read the wrong way ;)

Me, I would include Breislach or Ailean Duinn by Capercaillie

Scotland's best loved song? I don't think so!

Maybe I'm just a rebellious Scot though :P

Are you speaking for all Scots?

Silly thread. Best-loved songs and national anthems are unrelated.

Conduct a poll in weegieland and the winner would probably be something rhyming with mash.

A Boy Named Crow

Caledonia is the best song on that list. Really gets the goosebumps going (espacially since i moved down south). I know it's not an anthem thread, but if it was the two obvious choices are Scotland the Brave or Highland Cathedral.

scottish_chicP

My Hibby uncle tried to get that played at my 21st, as it began I realised what it was and ran up to switch all the music off (I knew the DJ). In the silence there was a chorus of "oh the hibees are gay" as the room was full of Jambos :P

Walter Bishop
My Hibby uncle tried to get that played at my 21st, as it began I realised what it was and ran up to switch all the music off (I knew the DJ). In the silence there was a chorus of "oh the hibees are gay" as the room was full of Jambos :P

Same thing happened at a my wedding, the Missus :eek::eek: requested the feckin proclaimers, i put him right though and he cut it short and followed with a nice rendition of hey jude!!! ;)

jambolass1000

Scotland the Brave for me

Flower of Scotland is so in the past.

I don't think any anthem would get the scottish players singing it. They just stand there at Hampden pretending to move their lips showing no passion or pride in playing for their country. At least Rugby players do show passion and give Flower of Scotland some welly at Murrayfield.

Gimme an H...

Not mentioned anywhere but if Flower of Scotland HAD to be replaced (I would never have it replaced) Id want Highland Cathedral as the new one.

Very Patriotic.

:eek::mad:

Scottish weddings? What an odd turn of phrase.

I P Knightley
Caledonia without a doubt. Does give me wee tingles when I hear it!!

Great song - and I voted for it - but it's a song for the ex-pats, not a national anthem at all.

Scotland the Brave - always should have been the accepted Nat. Anthem. Floor o' Scotland is pretty tripe and was sung as a catchy tune in the ;70s/'80s. Whoever decided it should be played at matches is a bit over-romantic for my liking

since its a poll of best loved scottish songs, can i add "a scottish soldier" to the mix please

thanks

;)

wheatfield to sheffield
Great song - and I voted for it - but it's a song for the ex-pats, not a national anthem at all.

Certainly got my vote.... You would never guess from my id on here that I'm an ex-pat ...

Back to speccy hobos, Letter from America is their greatest. Said the ex-pat.

Archived