DERBY JOY FOR AGUIAR

Dr. Bapswent

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4359629,00.html

DERBY JOY FOR AGUIAR

Posted 20/10/08 09:08

Bruno Aguiar thanked God, Hearts fans and his physios after he ended an 18-month absence to score the goal that gave his side a 1-1 draw in the Edinburgh derby.

The Portuguese midfielder curled home a low 20-yard free-kick just before half-time at Easter Road to cancel out Steven Fletcher's second-minute opener in an electric Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash.

The 27-year-old had not played since April 2007 after being struck by a career-threatening ankle injury, and his comeback was then delayed by a knee problem.

Clutching a bottle of champagne, Aguiar said: "I'm very happy. I couldn't imagine after 18 months that my first game back would be a derby.

"I was man of the match - it was a gift from God after he gave me a bad time."

Aguiar raced over to embrace physio Rob Marshall after his equaliser and threw his shirt into the away fans after the game as he thanked the people who had helped him through a year and a half of worry.

"The physio was very important for me," he said. "You can imagine, being out for 18 months sometimes I thought I couldn't play again.

"All the time he pushed me and said: 'Bruno, you will come back.'

"When I scored, I was thinking abut the physio. But not just this physio, and the one who went to Newcastle, David Henderson - all the physios at Hearts and all the people at Hearts, because I have a contract and I didn't play for 18 months.

"It wasn't my fault, it was a very bad tackle, and then I twisted my knee.

"In these 18 months, when I'm in the street or the stadium, everyone said 'Bruno, I want you to come back', and 'Bruno, the team needs you'.

"This was very good for me because when I'm at home I know that everyone wanted me back.

"Sometimes it wasn't easy. I watched the game and then come Monday, I couldn't train.

"But after this game I want to forget my past. It's a new life for me and the club and I think the win is coming."

Aguiar had a chance to give Hearts their first win in three games when Andrew Driver cut the ball back to him in a thrilling finale.

But the former Benfica midfielder, who became increasingly influential in possession after the break, fluffed his shot with a tired left leg.

"I think we deserved to win the game," Aguiar added. "I had another opportunity to score but God only gave me one goal!

"But I think we played a fantastic game and created a lot of chances."

Hibs also had chances to win the game with their three-pronged strikeforce of Fletcher, Derek Riordan and Colin Nish causing problems.

And Fletcher was convinced Riordan was brought down in the box by Eggert Jonsson while Hibs were 1-0 up, although referee Eddie Smith did not agree.

"I thought if it was outside the box, he would have given the free-kick, so I don't know why he didn't give the penalty," the Scotland striker said.

"If we had got the penalty it would have been a different game."

Bruno Rocks.

Bruno Rocks.

Absolutely agreed

The first footballing performance on the pitch in around a year that makes me think we actually have some talent in the team

Absolutely agreed

The first footballing performance on the pitch in around a year that makes me think we actually have some talent in the team

As does Driver.

Jam Tarts 1874

"When I scored, I was thinking abut the physio. But not just this physio, and the one who went to Newcastle, David Henderson - all the physios at Hearts and all the people at Hearts, because I have a contract and I didn't play for 18 months."

Let's hope he remembers this when it comes to signing a new contract.

Awesome comeback to first team football - Bruno deserves all the congratualtions he gets for his showing yesterday.

Here's hoping he can carry that form onwards.

As an aside to that article..... Fletcher thinks it would have been a different game had they got their penalty. Wonder if he thinks it would have been a different game had we not had a perfectly good goal chopped off???

Let's hope he remembers this when it comes to signing a new contract.

Do you think he will be offered one from a cost point of view?

Archived