Dissertations

Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers

Just started my 4th year and have to complete the dreaded dissertation.

What did you guys do yours on? The tutor said 100 references isn't uncommon! :eek:

I can't even think of a title.

Dissertations are evil. from personal experience however i would say the most important thing is your dissertation adviser - if at any time you think yours isnt working out try and get it changed asap.

Obviously it will be different for every course but the difference in marks between dissertation advisers was ridiculous in my course.

PS - i did mines on 'Non-Financial Performance Measurements' - exciting stuff!

What's the subject?

Thank God I don't have to do a dissertation if I don't want, I plan on focusing on music performance rather than academical, so I will just have to organise a bunch of public recitals which I will be plugging left right and centre... just by the way ... haha.

Carl Weathers

I'm doing Business studies....with Entrepreneurship.

I guess I'll try and do something about Business start up's, sole traders etc. Really not sure.

I've only just started back but need a rough topic for wednesday.

CCP - yours sounds like a hoot! ;)

I guess I'll try and do something about Business start up's, sole traders etc. Really not sure.

if you ever suffer from insomnia i'll send you a copy its the perfect cure!

Carl Weathers
if you ever suffer from insomnia i'll send you a copy its the perfect cure!

How long were you working on it - how many books and reseach did it take?

I think the important thing is finding a topic I'm interested in, otherwise this could kill me.

Very true, don't try to write about something you don't care about, that's why every one of my essays so far has been on dramatic works, bit of a narrow study but I just can't stand to write about boring orchestral music...

What's your word count? 10k?

Carl Weathers
What's the subject?

Thank God I don't have to do a dissertation if I don't want, I plan on focusing on music performance rather than academical, so I will just have to organise a bunch of public recitals which I will be plugging left right and centre... just by the way ... haha.

So you have to put a gig on rather than an essay?

I guess that's pretty good.

So you have to put a gig on rather than an essay?

I guess that's pretty good.

I thought it sounded like an easy option, but when I saw what the girl who did it last year had to go through I'm starting to have second thoughts. Still, as long as I can count on all you poor souls as an audience that's half the job done right there :D

How long were you working on it - how many books and reseach did it take?

I think the important thing is finding a topic I'm interested in, otherwise this could kill me.

cant put an exact figure - fecking LOTS of time and LOTS of books though.... i used mostly journals, textbooks, and websites as my research.

google scholar is your friend CW.

Carl Weathers
I thought it sounded like an easy option, but when I saw what the girl who did it last year had to go through I'm starting to have second thoughts. Still, as long as I can count on all you poor souls as an audience that's half the job done right there :D

I'm sure you'll shift a few tickets on here. Hold it in Diggers or Robbos.:)

I'm sure you'll shift a few tickets on here. Hold it in Diggers or Robbos.:)

I was thinking more along the lines of, say, St Giles :)

google scholar is your friend CW.

No it isn't.

Use University subscribed databases.

Just as easy to use and more likely to result in a full text delivery.

No it isn't.

Use University subscribed databases.

Just as easy to use and more likely to result in a full text delivery.

I used both and found google scholar to be the best tbh

I used both and found google scholar to be the best tbh

Fair enough.

Did you manage to get through to the full text a lot?

Fair enough.

Did you manage to get through to the full text a lot?

there were a good few were i couldnt but after a short time you knew what stuff you would get access to and which stuff you wouldnt before you even clicked on the link.

it did mean i had to trawl through a lot of stuff i couldnt get access to but i found the stuff i did get access to a lot more informative and helpful than the uni databases

there were a good few were i couldnt but after a short time you knew what stuff you would get access to and which stuff you wouldnt before you even clicked on the link.

it did mean i had to trawl through a lot of stuff i couldnt get access to but i found the stuff i did get access to a lot more informative and helpful than the uni databases

9/10 you get through to the full text on Google Scholar is because your University does subcribe to it (ATHENS login?) so you can get that stuff form the Uni databases. "Googling" it may be a more user friendly way to research but as you say, it's hit or miss if you can acually read the article.

I did mine on the pricing structures of health and fitness clubs. Specifically, the pros and cons of forcing people to sign 12 month contracts.

I did about 90% of it in the last two days, including all the research, (I posted the questionnaire on JKB of course).

Got 63.5% which wasn't bad although I had a very generous marker.

Mine was helping to develop a computer-generated speech program for people with disabilities - took forever - I had to recruit test volunteers, work with disabled people and their carers and hire an assistant for the technical stuff - never been so glad to finish a research project. The only consolation was that it was for a worthwhile end product. Good luck with yours, it's the one part of Uni that I wouldn't like to have to do again - it'll be fine, the worst part is looking at the blank screen in front of you before you start, once you get into it, it starts to feel less intimidating!

Johanes de Silentio

My dissertation was 12,000 words - 62 pages - 388 references (footnotes) - 8 primary sources - 26 secondary sources - took me months!

Table of contents

Introduction

3 chapters

Conclusion

Bibliography

You'll do fine - Good luck!

maltese jambo

surely a topic such as how SME's and start ups are coping with the current financial recession would be good for that.

Did mine on HRM - absenteeism in the workplace and i think the key is to start it as early as possible

Uncle Albert....my reference/bibliography was 7 pages long in itself !

Mine was "The extraction of alkaloids from poppy straw using supercritical carbon dioxide"

Ended up running in at 22000 words with about 120 references - oh, the joys of 20hour days in the run-up to deadline day!!!

My dissertation was 12,000 words - 62 pages - 388 references (footnotes) - 8 primary sources - 26 secondary sources - took me months!

Table of contents

Introduction

3 chapters

Conclusion

Bibliography

You'll do fine - Good luck!

What'd you get??

My undergrad was 12k of pish about Greenways and how it affected the businesses.

Post grad was 20k words about digital advertising - unfortunately (well fortunately) I'd got a job straight after teaching finished so I had to do it while I was working away. Ended up doing pretty much the whole thing over the easter break.

Dissertations are fine once you get in to it.

Johanes de Silentio

Mate of mine studying Artificial Intelligence BUILT A ROBOT (called Ross) for his dissertation - a ****ing robot for christ's sake!

jamboinglasgow

I have a dissertation due in feb, its a history one on the views of the chronicler matthew paris on Henry III. I agree an advisor helps alot. I have a great expert on the period as an advisor and it always seem to make things clearer. Though I am scared that I have not done enough yet. I might have to give up kickback for the next few months.

This thread has put the ****ers right up me.

I'm in 3rd year just now, go on a full-time placement this time next year then it's the dreaded dissertation.

Happy days.

Carl Spackler

Surely a true entrepreneur cannot be taught how to be one?

Anyway my disseration was on the role of IT in the Construction Industry (I can't remember the exact title) and yes it had scores of references. Basically it was proving that the Industry was not using IT as effectively as it could.

It still doesn't. I'm much better at using Kickback then I am AutoCAD.

Carl Weathers
Surely a true entrepreneur cannot be taught how to be one?

Anyway my disseration was on the role of IT in the Construction Industry (I can't remember the exact title) and yes it had scores of references. Basically it was proving that the Industry was not using IT as effectively as it could.

It still doesn't. I'm much better at using Kickback then I am AutoCAD.

You're pretty much correct. It's not something you can really teach but you get to understand the theory behind it... You also do modules such as starting a new business and selling for entrepreneurs. Some of that is really useful. It is 70/30 split between business and Entre'.

Carl Weathers
Do you think this guy worried about dissertations?!

I doubt it!

delboy.jpg

A true Entrepreneur.

I'm probably more like Rodney, tbh.

:o

Had to go for something that would hold my interest for longer than a week so football it was. Can't remember the exact wording but it basically focused on internal and external communication practices of Scottish football clubs. The gist of it being that most Scottish football clubs (even those of very limited means) should do themselves a favour and adopt modern business practices, organisational structures and a strategic approach to communicating with their numerous audiences. It was fascinating stuff, obviously. :biggrin:

Get an Athens login, it could save your life. Or sign up with Questia for a few months at the very least... http://www.questia.com

And remember that QuestionPro will give you a free account as long as its for academic use. http://www.questionpro.com

Carl Weathers

Your dissertation sounds really interesting actually. How did you do your research? I'm assuming HMFC didn't give much away? ;)

He should already have one...:rolleyes:

Ah. Perhaps I was just a particularly bad student. I didn't even know what Athens was until halfway through my fourth year.

:282:

Ah. Perhaps I was just a particularly bad student. I didn't even know what Athens was until halfway through my fourth year.

:282:

Pfft...blinkin students....:(

Your dissertation sounds really interesting actually. How did you do your research? I'm assuming HMFC didn't give much away? ;)

I was really lucky actually. Almost every single SPL and Division 1 club gave me assistance and they were much more open about their existing practices than I ever expected them to be. I asked them to complete a pretty lengthy questionnaire which asked them for info on everything from their media relations policy to customer relationship management and lots of pernickety questions about brands, image and identity. That sort of thing. A few of them also agreed to do telephone interviews with me so that gave me an opportunity to get some more in-depth info. Hearts were one of the first to respond so I was most chuffed.

The club that got really arsey and gave me the whole 'don't you know how busy we are?' thing was St Mirren, believe it or not. Ha. Evidently they've still got a lot to learn about communication.

One of the most interesting parts was having the opportunity to find out what sort of brand identity the clubs were trying to build and comparing that with the target audience's (i.e. fans) idea of a club's identity...or what they perceived to be the defining characteristics. In other words, what the marketing/PR folk at a club want people to see, and what people actually do see. The responses from Celtic supporters kept me amused for HOURS. Hehe.

As far as dissertations go, I probably got more enjoyment out of mine than many others. I was lucky that I could go down that sort of route.

Carl Weathers
I was really lucky actually. Almost every single SPL and Division 1 club gave me assistance and they were much more open about their existing practices than I ever expected them to be. I asked them to complete a pretty lengthy questionnaire which asked them for info on everything from their media relations policy to customer relationship management and lots of pernickety questions about brands, image and identity. That sort of thing. A few of them also agreed to do telephone interviews with me so that gave me an opportunity to get some more in-depth info. Hearts were one of the first to respond so I was most chuffed.

The club that got really arsey and gave me the whole 'don't you know how busy we are?' thing was St Mirren, believe it or not. Ha. Evidently they've still got a lot to learn about communication.

One of the most interesting parts was having the opportunity to find out what sort of brand identity the clubs were trying to build and comparing that with the target audience's (i.e. fans) idea of a club's identity...or what they perceived to be the defining characteristics. In other words, what the marketing/PR folk at a club want people to see, and what people actually do see. The responses from Celtic supporters kept me amused for HOURS. Hehe.

As far as dissertations go, I probably got more enjoyment out of mine than many others. I was lucky that I could go down that sort of route.

That sounds excellent. Good effort.

I'm starting to get a bit nervous about my lack of an exciting topic.

My best so far is looking into the effects that the tram works have had on small-medium sized businesses in Edinburgh. Doesn't really excite me though, although gives me a chance to speak to a lot of p'd off shopkeepers.:eek:

Football...could be interesting - I'll have a think.

My best so far is looking into the effects that the tram works have had on small-medium sized businesses in Edinburgh. Doesn't really excite me though, although gives me a chance to speak to a lot of p'd off shopkeepers.:eek:

Screw interesting.

Get something with plenty of opinions and info.

Your doing this for a purpose (to write a good one) not do one that you enjoy.

If you can get both, then good, but for more valuable to a dissertaion is the level of info.

It will be hard for anyone to take a dissertation seriously if someone clearly did it on a topic they liked, rather than one that was genuinely purposeful.

I'm not sure what sort of angle you could take specifically but when I was doing my research, I got quite into reading about how sport is marketed in the US. Their major sports are light years ahead of anything we do here and it's all franchises and money money money. They use very sophisticated techniques and are constantly looking for new ways to generate revenue and commercial opportunities. Most of it isn't really to my taste but I did wonder how much room there was for that sort of thing here in the UK...the governing bodies aren't exactly 'down with the kids' and tend to view anything new with suspicion. But there must be zillions of opportunities for budding entrepreneurs, surely?

Carl Weathers
Screw interesting.

Get something with plenty of opinions and info.

Your doing this for a purpose (to write a good one) not do one that you enjoy.

If you can get both, then good, but for more valuable to a dissertaion is the level of info.

It will be hard for anyone to take a dissertation seriously if someone clearly did it on a topic they liked, rather than one that was genuinely purposeful.

Cheers - I needed that shake!

You're spot on.

jamboinglasgow

I must be weird, as I enjoy thirteenth century English history. That and the chronicler I am using Matthew Paris is genuinely interesting.

Loved a story that told about monks going to see the pope, they fail to be allowed to elect their new abbot (all very dull) then you get the end of the story, it tells how one monk dies in Lourdes and the other "went the way of all flesh in dover." Which I am pretty certain means he went to a prositute and gave up on being monk. Well if your going to give up being a monk surely the first thing you would want to do is go and get some 'ole.

These stories make it interesting (plus the anti-semitisim present is quite incrediable, stories which are obviously false of young boys being forced to be circumcised than crucified feature a few times. These rumours were sadly quite a common held belief back in those times.)

Cheers - I needed that shake!

You're spot on.

Nae bother.

Done enough to last a life time.

Good luck.

I must be weird, as I enjoy thirteenth century English history. That and the chronicler I am using Matthew Paris is genuinely interesting.

Loved a story that told about monks going to see the pope, they fail to be allowed to elect their new abbot (all very dull) then you get the end of the story, it tells how one monk dies in Lourdes and the other "went the way of all flesh in dover." Which I am pretty certain means he went to a prositute and gave up on being monk. Well if your going to give up being a monk surely the first thing you would want to do is go and get some 'ole.

These stories make it interesting (plus the anti-semitisim present is quite incrediable, stories which are obviously false of young boys being forced to be circumcised than crucified feature a few times. These rumours were sadly quite a common held belief back in those times.)

Went the way of all flesh means to die.

Asser's Life of Alfred is full of that comment.

Froissart rocks too.

Archived