All time posh XI

jambovambo

OK then - we have the chav XI

What about the posh XI ?

I give you David Leslie to start with - ex-Watson's, rugby international, one game for the first team ...

i believe our own mikey stewart is from a rather well to do household, highly educated and a man of means, even without the football

Is it just players who have played in scotland?

If not Oliver Bierhoff was a professional opera singer, that a bit posh?

jamboinglasgow

Give you Darren Fletcher, went to stewarts melville, certainly in primary school (was in my brothers year) dont know where he went afterwards.

He Who Cannot Be Named
i believe our own mikey stewart is from a rather well to do household, highly educated and a man of means, even without the football

That will be why he managed to get into Manchesters academy then.

He Who Cannot Be Named
Give you Darren Fletcher, went to stewarts melville, certainly in primary school (was in my brothers year) dont know where he went afterwards.

Hmm.. strange pattern emerging!

nah no danger, grew up in mayfield can't be that posh.

scott herbertson
Don't think it was David Leslie

might have been this guy?

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/johnstondavid2.html

That's him. I played against him at Uni in about 1975

I played for Wopsoc (the Italian society in those pre-PC days) in a teamm which had three Franks and 5 Tonys. We came onto the pitch singing "Just one cornetto"

Johnston played for Lawsoc (though he wasn't supposed to due to his Hearts contract). I marked him for the first half and he ran too fast for me. In the second half I switched with my mate Euan Cameron (not the same one) who was even slower than me but booted Johnston up inth eair, got booked for it but he didn't feature in the game from then on.......

Toxteth O'Grady
That's him. I played against him at Uni in about 1975

I played for Wopsoc (the Italian society in those pre-PC days) in a teamm which had three Franks and 5 Tonys. We came onto the pitch singing "Just one cornetto"

Johnston played for Lawsoc (though he wasn't supposed to due to his Hearts contract). I marked him for the first half and he ran too fast for me. In the second half I switched with my mate Euan Cameron (not the same one) who was even slower than me but booted Johnston up inth eair, got booked for it but he didn't feature in the game from then on.......

:)

Brilliant that must have been a bit confusing at times

What Craigmount? fur coat and nae knicker brigade more like!

scott herbertson

My all time least favoiurite Hearts player was neil Murray , who was also a teacher. Teahcer = at least fairly posh in those days (1969 /1970). Donald Ford was also pretty posh.

I would nominate Giles Rousset as well.

venneegoor of hessilink (spelling approximation)

"of" means "or" in Dutch. He's just a confused Tim who can't even decide what his last name should be. I suppose that's one up from McGeady who doesn't even know what nationality he is.

he went to east craigs primary - same as me :)

and craigmount high school - :) same as me

It may be an urban myth but I thought that Henry Smiths Understudy Nicky Walker from then Shortbread dynasty and sufficiently wealthy that he didn't really need to make it in football.

Carl Weathers
It may be an urban myth but I thought that Henry Smiths Understudy Nicky Walker from then Shortbread dynasty and sufficiently wealthy that he didn't really need to make it in football.

I remember hearing/reading something about footballers that came from privileged backgrounds and Nicky Walker was definitely mentioned. So was Vialli.

Didn't Nicky Walker marry a Miss Scotland?

saulius mikoliunas, he's as good as royaly. we all know he's vlad's secret son and vlad is always trying to prove he's descended from the tsars.

miko... you can't get posher.

Vennegoor of Hesselink is a fabulous shout.

As someone mentioned earlier, "of" in Dutch means "or".

Both "Vennegoor" and "Hesselink" were two of the most prestigious surnames in Holland decades and decades ago. Chances are he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

David Platt always struck me as a bit posh as well.

that is true. but shortbread is common as muck.

Carl Spackler
Vennegoor of Hesselink is a fabulous shout.

As someone mentioned earlier, "of" in Dutch means "or".

Both "Vennegoor" and "Hesselink" were two of the most prestigious surnames in Holland decades and decades ago. Chances are he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

What a fall from grace ending up at Parkheed then.

Nicky Walker from then Shortbread dynasty and sufficiently wealthy that he didn't really need to make it in football.

That certainly might explain why he was pish.

Buffalo Bill

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
My all time least favoiurite Hearts player was neil Murray , who was also a teacher. Teahcer = at least fairly posh in those days (1969 /1970). Donald Ford was also pretty posh.

I would nominate Giles Rousset as well.

Does that mean you're a Porty FP, Scott, old chap? I was taught by Neil Murray's at Portobello around that time, though I can't remember what he was teaching. I'm pretty sure it was either Maths or English.

Sheriff Fatman

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle played in goals for Portsmouth, Dutch physicist Niels Bohr played a number of games for the Dutch team Akademisk Boldklub and French philosopher Albert Camus played for the University of Algiers until tuberculosis stopped his playing career. The Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovitch was a qualified referee

The White Cockade

David Leslie and David Johnston are two different people

The clue's in the names........

chester copperpot
he went to east craigs primary - same as me :)

and craigmount high school - :) same as me

Correctamundo, you might know my mate if yer 28/29 ish.

did julio iglesias not play on goal for real Madrid hen he was a nipper or am i making it up...? no bad life...and his son is seeing anna K...

is that Graeme's brother??

No David doesn't have a brother, one sister ( currently on her gap year in Peru)... plays five-a side with us - used to go to Fettes.

David Leslie and David Johnston are two different people

The clue's in the names........

David Leslie, perhaps the hardest nut ever to play rugby for Scotland. Did not care one jot about putting his body on the line for the country. Fantastic player.

David Johnston was a beautifully balanced runner who played centre for Scotland. As per Leslie, a Grand Slam winner for Scotland. And he played a couple of times for Hearts too.

I'm sure that Alan Gordon in the 1960's was at either Heriots or Watsons and he played for quite a few season for us as a part timer as he was at university at the time.

did julio iglesias not play on goal for real Madrid hen he was a nipper or am i making it up...? no bad life...and his son is seeing anna K...

Yes he did....from what i remember he also played for Spain too....though i might be making that up.

Pope John Paul II? Played in goals and then became the ruddy pope! also, Leonardo the Brazilian was aparently from a very upper class family.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle played in goals for Portsmouth, Dutch physicist Niels Bohr played a number of games for the Dutch team Akademisk Boldklub and French philosopher Albert Camus played for the University of Algiers until tuberculosis stopped his playing career. The Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovitch was a qualified referee

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH cheese baguette :)

Nicky still in the family business.

Colonel Kurtz

Stephan Adam was pretty posh,went to hampden for a Scotland v France friendly with him.

SA was offered a pie at HT and asked "what is in them?" ,and could he have some pasta.

It was just after we had won the cup,and CR came up at HT and announced he was going to get his photo taken with the world cup.

My brother said in a stage whisper"hope they charge you a effin fiver" as that had been Hearts marketing ploy that season to get tour photo with the SC

Archived