Big Eck Salmond

Rawrrrrrrr

Been awfully quiet over the last few days about HBOS/RBS

What are his thoughts on it?

Would he have preferred to be a seperate country and for our banks to be bankrupt today? Or does he accept the UK government have given a partial bail out of the scots economy?

Commander Harris

Would he have preferred to be a seperate country and for our banks to be bankrupt today? Or does he accept the UK government have given a partial bail out of the scots economy?

I saw him on the Scottish news the other day.

his take, in the most simplistic terms, is that RBS have paid ****e loads into the treasury and that he hopes one day that they will be paying ****e loads into the treasury again.

You quite obviously don't watch the news. If you did, you would be aware the 'scuffle' that has broken out between Salmond and Brown on the matter.

Yeah, all are banks would be bankrupt...like Norway, they're totally ****ed:rolleyes: Man, I'm glad to be in the United Kingdom, where all the banks are doing great!

:sarcasm:

I saw him on the Scottish news the other day.

his take, in the most simplistic terms, is that RBS have paid ****e loads into the treasury and that he hopes one day that they will be paying ****e loads into the treasury again.

Nice of him to sidestep the main point that if it wasnt for being bailed out they and Hbos would have probably never been here to pay ****e loads in again.

Since he wants to be seperate from their saviour surely this is far more important of his time and comment than the "homecoming" cup

The more I see of him and SNP the more I am shocked

No time for serious issues related to their main policies but happy to try and rename a diddy scottish football trophy no one is overly bothered about

I hope the people who voted them in are paying note

Nice of him to sidestep the main point that if it wasnt for being bailed out they and Hbos would have probably never been here to pay ****e loads in again.

Since he wants to be seperate from their saviour surely this is far more important of his time and comment than the "homecoming" cup

No time for serious issues related to their main policies but happy to try and rename a diddy scottish football trophy no one is overly bothered about

You don't care about the Scottish Cup?!

Some Jambo.

You quite obviously don't watch the news. If you did, you would be aware the 'scuffle' that has broken out between Salmond and Brown on the matter.

Yeah, all are banks would be bankrupt...like Norway, they're totally ****ed:rolleyes: Man, I'm glad to be in the United Kingdom, where all the banks are doing great!

What where his thoughts on the Icelandic banks or is it just the good he is willing to look at, I mean its not possible we could have had our 2 major banks go bust :rolleyes:

Toggie could you confirm what SNP induction training involves, does eck stroke you all for a few days and inform you all will be ok if you do and say as uncle eck tells you

Ludicrous for a man who wants our country seperate from the UK government his priorities over the last few days when Scotlands 2 biggest banks basically became nationalised is utterly pathetic

Despite the fact we continue to achieve record poll levels.

You don't care about the Scottish Cup?!

Some Jambo.

I think renaming the scottish cup for political reason is irrelevent and pathetic, especially when the countries economy would have likely collapsed if Eck had got his way and scotland was its own nation from the UK or maybe shell would own them both :rolleyes:

What where his thoughts on the Icelandic banks or is it just the good he is willing to look at, I mean its not possible we could have had our 2 major banks go bust :rolleyes:

Toggie could you confirm what SNP induction training involves, does eck stroke you all for a few days and inform you all will be ok if you do and say as uncle eck tells you

Ludicrous for a man who wants our country seperate from the UK government his priorities over the last few days when Scotlands 2 biggest banks basically became nationalised is utterly pathetic

emm what have his priorities been?

You seem to follow Salmond round like a pathetic obsessed ex lover.

I think renaming the scottish cup for political reason is irrelevent and pathetic, especially when the countries economy would have likely collapsed if Eck had got his way and scotland was its own nation from the UK or maybe shell would own them both :rolleyes:

What you're trying to say is that you thought it was the CIS Cup they were renaming.

emm what have his priorities been?

You seem to follow Salmond round like a pathetic obsessed ex lover.

Well he seems more concerned with negotiating to rename the scottish cup than the fact the countries economy has just been bailed out by the UK government

I for one would love to know what Salmond would have done if scotland had been seperate from the UK to resolve the economic and banking difficulties suffered this week.

Any information on this toggie? or is this not to be discussed until after the scottish cup is renamed?

What you're trying to say is that you thought it was the CIS Cup they were renaming.

No ultimately the renaming of the scottish ccup to the homecoming cup is utterly bokeworthy

Especially since the SNP are behind it when they should have other priorities

Its an utterly pathetic stance and I would happily say anyone impressed by the renaming of the cup should be deported to new zealand for the good of the country

Tell me toggie are you impressed with the renaming of the cup and if so why?

Well he seems more concerned with negotiating to rename the scottish cup than the fact the countries economy has just been bailed out by the UK government

I for one would love to know what Salmond would have done if scotland had been seperate from the UK to resolve the economic and banking difficulties suffered this week.

Any information on this toggie? or is this not to be discussed until after the scottish cup is renamed?

Believe it or not, Prancer, Governments are capable of handling more than one thing a day. What do you expect? Salmond to be sitting in a smoked filled room all day with a calculator?

I think the banks wouldn't be in this mess in the first place had the UK Govt not squandered our cash. Lets look across the North Sea, a small independent nation with much the same resources and population as ourselves - Norway, how are they doing during this financial crisis? Hmmmm (go away and have a google).

I'm not even going to bother with you anymore, it's pathetic. Plus I'm getting up early tomorrow for a little event that will be taking place in Fife - I'll be sure to relay your concerns to the First Minister.

Cheers up, Prancer - it's only 20 mins until the freeview comes on.

G'night!

No ultimately the renaming of the scottish ccup to the homecoming cup is utterly bokeworthy

Especially since the SNP are behind it when they should have other priorities

Its an utterly pathetic stance and I would happily say anyone impressed by the renaming of the cup should be deported to new zealand for the good of the country

Tell me toggie are you impressed with the renaming of the cup and if so why?

I'm not very impressed by the name, no.

I'm impressed that money that money is being put into Scottish Football.

Believe it or not, Prancer, Governments are capable of handling more than one thing a day. What do you expect? Salmond to be sitting in a smoked filled room all day with a calculator?

I think the banks wouldn't be in this mess in the first place had the UK Govt not squandered our cash. Lets look across the North Sea, a small independent nation with much the same resources and population as ourselves - Norway, how are they doing during this financial crisis? Hmmmm (go away and have a google).

I'm not even going to bother with you anymore, it's pathetic. Plus I'm getting up early tomorrow for a little event that will be taking place in Fife - I'll be sure to relay your concerns to the First Minister.

G'night!

Absolutely brillant response

Who says the SNP are thick, basically suggest they would have avoided the banking crisis etc because 1 other country did, completely ignoring the fact almost every other economy is fecked

Enjoy Fife, I am sure the SNP leadership will be at home with the jobless fife layabouts :P

Carl Weathers

:eek::eek::eek:

The partly Scots government would partly bail out the Scots economy.

What's wrong with that?

The first statement is basically a guess, and the second statement suggests it is you who should become better informed :)

RBoS was one of the main beneficiaries of the US govts bail out; meaning it was the US, not the UK that bailed them out.

In other words, it would still have happened if we were independent.

Sorry this isn't from Toggie, but is that enough information? :)

Geoff Kilpatrick

This Scotland - Iceland comparison is a nonsense because Iceland is a bad example to compare any other country with across the globe.

Iceland was ran as a hedge fund - its banks assets were around 5 times the country's GDP - but their lending policies were a nonsense as well in an aggressive growth strategy.

Where Salmond is disingenuous is stating that he would have guaranteed deposits to prevent the liquidity problems at HBoS because he has never advocated a separate Scottish currency. Ireland has just about gotten away with it but if a hedge fund were to bet against Ireland after the guarantee they would have been down the plughole as well, although whether the EU would have helped fund a bailout from the rest of European taxpayers is debatable, especially now with the European agreed bail out.

I do find it sad though that an argument for union is economic collapse!

Salmond suggested that their would have been a billion pound pay out to the banks if we were independent....didn't seem to say where this would come from though.

Also disappointed by claims from the SNP last night that if the TSB/HBoS deal goes ahead in 40,000 jobs will be lost in Scotland...this is just basic scaremongering

I actually still think the Government will veto this deal now anyway if the markets improve.

Salmond suggested that their would have been a billion pound pay out to the banks if we were independent....didn't seem to say where this would come from though.

Also disappointed by claims from the SNP last night that if the TSB/HBoS deal goes ahead in 40,000 jobs will be lost in Scotland...this is just basic scaremongering

I actually still think the Government will veto this deal now anyway if the markets improve.

It is scaremongering to an extent Richie, but if there is a merger do you really expect there not to be any redundancies at all?

It is scaremongering to an extent Richie, but if there is a merger do you really expect there not to be any redundancies at all?

IF the merger goes through of course their will be jobs lost throughout the UK, no one knows how many and for the SNP to continue to quote 40k jobs lost in Scotland is scaremongering.

I think the figure will be far nearer to zero than 40k

What gets me is Gordon Brown is riding all over Europe on his white horse when he was the person in charge of overseeing the mess we are in now.

So now the SNP are supposed to react to a massive promblem not of there doing.

Strange world we live in:sad:

What gets me is Gordon Brown is riding all over Europe on his white horse when he was the person in charge of overseeing the mess we are in now.

So now the SNP are supposed to react to a massive promblem not of there doing.

Strange world we live in:sad:

I think its pretty short sighted to blame Brown for overseeing the full mess considering a major part of the problem stems from America....

But yes the SNP are supposed to react as they are the party in control of the scottish parliament and also trying to prove that they could lead an independant nation.

Yeah, all are banks would be bankrupt?like Norway, they're totally ****ed:rolleyes: Man, I'm glad to be in the United Kingdom, where all the banks are doing great!

G'night!

Toggie your undying loyalty to tow the party line is usually your undoing. :)

Salmond has actually had a good battering in the media for a change recently. Think the honeymoon period is over.

Two years ago he stated that he wanted Scotland to join the ARC OF PROSPERITYthat was Iceland, Ireland and Norway.

The guy is supposed to be an economist. I am no economist. Yet I knew 2 years ago Iceland and Ireland were in potentially a lot of trouble.

Now when you see him on TV it is NORWAY, NORWAY, NORWAY. Very similar to yourself actually?..:)

He has been asked a few times about the other 2 nations and given some fairly lame replies IMO.

He knows he made a booboo. If he simply came out and said perhaps the small countries he compared us to was a mistake then fair enough.

But he won't. He will stubbornly refuse to admit he has ever said anything wrong.

As I have said before I think most SNP activists don't understand the harm Eck is doing to your campaign.

He alienates a lot of the maybe voters out there. These are the people you need to persuade.

The loyal SNP fans love him. However that actually doesn't matter. They will support the SNP whoever is in charge.

Your party is going after the wrong people if it wants to win Independence. Eck is the wrong guy IMO.

He alienates a lot of the maybe voters out there. These are the people you need to persuade.

Do the polls suggest that? SNP gets the biggest support in the ones I've seen.

The loyal SNP fans love him. However that actually doesn't matter. They will support the SNP whoever is in charge.

Your party is going after the wrong people if it wants to win Independence. Eck is the wrong guy IMO.

Surely that goes for any political party?

Despite the fact we continue to achieve record poll levels.

Nice way of dodging the question, it won't last. People will wake up and smell the coffee. Crises like this show the SNP's pipe-dream up for what it really is.

Since humanity began progression and growth has been made by people joining, growing and working together. NOT by separation. Britain is the world's 5th largest economy and something we should be doing our utmost to remain part of.

A few facts for you:

Ireland was the first EU country to go into recession. That's one of the favoured Nationalists comparisons on how we would do well as an independent country.

Iceland another small EU country has in effect gone bust. Is Alex still using them as an example of a comparable small country that can build a sustainable economy?

Norway this year has had to borrow $5 billion from the US reserve. You've made a comparison to them yet we in Scotland don't have nearly as much financial clout as them.

;) At least we'd have our freedom though eh?

Still waiting for an answer from our resident Nats.

RBoS was one of the main beneficiaries of the US govts bail out; meaning it was the US, not the UK that bailed them out.

In other words, it would still have happened if we were independent.

Sorry this isn't from Toggie, but is that enough information? :)

Do you think Salmond and an independent Scotland would have had the same influence on the US as the 5th largest economy in the World?

Would he have got the money?

The financial industry, THE CORE of Scotland's economy COULD NOT SURVIVE without help from Westminister in this issue.

What does that say for your independence dream?

I think its pretty short sighted to blame Brown for overseeing the full mess considering a major part of the problem stems from America....

But yes the SNP are supposed to react as they are the party in control of the scottish parliament and also trying to prove that they could lead an independant nation.

That?s the point of the OP no politicians are reacting at the moment.

Why because all opposition leaders including the SNP have got to kept there traps shut for the good of the country, whilst Brown takes political advantage of the mess he has been overseeing.

I suppose it is hard to speculate how Scottish Banks would've been affected by recent events had they been operating in an independent Scotland because it is quite possible their business models would have been different - i.e. perhaps they would have had less exposure to the bad debt etc etc. Not saying for one minute that they would have, but if you are looking at a different political system then the economic system would also be different.

Therefore, I suppose the conclusion is who knows?

I suppose an Independent Scotland's Treasury would be creaking under all the recent oil revenues given the price in oil so there would be money to pump into the banking industry...

Would RBS operating in an Independent Scotland have made such a huge bid for ABN Amro? Who knows?

I'm not a Nat by the way, but surprisingly, and perhaps rather uncomfortably, I actually don't mind Alex Salmond. He's about the only true heavyweight politician that exists at Holyrood.

Why because all opposition leaders including the SNP have got to kept there traps shut for the good of the country, whilst Brown takes political advantage of the mess he has been overseeing.

dont you mean, disaster that he alone created,

there is only one person to blame for the mess we are in and thats brown.

oh and i suppose the people that voted for him.

Do you think Salmond and an independent Scotland would have had the same influence on the US as the 5th largest economy in the World?

Would he have got the money?

The financial industry, THE CORE of Scotland's economy COULD NOT SURVIVE without help from Westminister in this issue.

What does that say for your independence dream?

It had absolutely nothing to do with the UK government. They received the money because they own several US banks.

What does that say for your Unionist agenda? :rolleyes:

I suppose it is hard to speculate how Scottish Banks would've been affected by recent events had they been operating in an independent Scotland because it is quite possible their business models would have been different - i.e. perhaps they would have had less exposure to the bad debt etc etc. Not saying for one minute that they would have, but if you are looking at a different political system then the economic system would also be different.

Therefore, I suppose the conclusion is who knows?

I suppose an Independent Scotland's Treasury would be creaking under all the recent oil revenues given the price in oil so there would be money to pump into the banking industry...

Would RBS operating in an Independent Scotland have made such a huge bid for ABN Amro? Who knows?

I'm not a Nat by the way, but surprisingly, and perhaps rather uncomfortably, I actually don't mind Alex Salmond. He's about the only true heavyweight politician that exists at Holyrood.

I think most of us on KB know where your loyalties lie,

So well said, best post on this thread

?Independence has given Iceland the freedom to become a world leader. It?s the best thing that ever happened to Iceland. It could be the best thing that ever happens to Scotland too.? :rolleyes:

I think the SNP are reacting to the financial situation now, with the groundbreaking 6 point plan

? Looking at capital projects that can be brought forward from the later years of the parliament and introduced quickly, to stimulate construction and the housing industry.

? Maximising the effect of the Homecoming series of events for next year, acknowledging the importance of tourism as a driver for the Scottish economy and using that to help other sectors.

? Finding ways of improving advice to business and streamlining the planning process.

? Boosting energy efficiency, particularly in vulnerable households.

? Rolling out two pilot projects around the country to help the elderly claim maximum benefits.

? Looking for additional measures to tackle fuel poverty.

That will be the problems solved then now that they are looking at things and trying to find ways to improve things......should they not be doing this anyway????

I also agree that Brown has taken a political advantage and has done so brilliantly for the good of the country a fact acknowledged by many political rivals.

The guy is quite simply a national embarrassment who has turned our once fine nation into a rogue nation.

We are despised by the rest of the United Kingdom because the fat wee f***** fascist wants to realise a childhood fantasy.

His backward, one dimensional policies are nothing short of painful.

I wish he would just cease to exist :)

I have NEVER despised anyone more than that fat ****.

The guy is quite simply a national embarrassment who has turned our once fine nation into a rogue nation.

We are despised by the rest of the United Kingdom because the fat wee f***** fascist wants to realise a childhood fantasy.

His backward, one dimensional policies are nothing short of painful.

I wish he would just cease to exist :)

I have NEVER depsised anyone more than that man.

As opposed to the UK - which is dispised by the rest of the world.

What one dimensional things have we done so far?

• Abolished the Graduate Endowement - saving students (and parents) over ?2300

• Abolished perscription charges

• Lifted the bridge tolls

• Saved the Rosyth Zeebrugge ferry

• Save A&E's in Ayr and Monklands

• Put extra police on streets

• Reducded class sizes

• Gave all P1-P3's free school meals

• Gave the go ahead for a Forth Crossing

• Frozen the council tax

• Cut class sizes

• Abolished the Graduate Endowement - saving students (and parents) over ?2300 - **** the students
    Abolished perscription charges - wrong!
    Lifted the bridge tolls - shocking!! let em pay. if people want to live outside edinburgh and get the cheap housing they can pay to coem to work. This generated millions pa
    Saved the Rosyth Zeebrugge ferry - who gives a fiddlers!
    Save A&E's in Ayr and Monklands
    Put extra police on streets - wrong!
    Reducded class sizes - wrong!
    Gave all P1-P3's free school meals - waste of money. poor kids should benefit only
    Gave the go ahead for a Forth Crossing - pointless
    Frozen the council tax - because the local council's cash surplus was staggering from previous years
    Cut class sizes - again - wrong

see my comments

95% of the fat disgraces time is spent on 'independence' and 5% on the important stuff

FACT

It is almost impossible to get a jail term in this country. The clown wants 'day release' and 'back into the community' schemes for prisoners.

Then they go out and offend again

I hate him

I love how they count doing stuff labour already had planned as a major piece of work

Alec Salmond and the SNP are *****

end of

Brown is lying to the public on a daily basis and barely anyone seems to notice.

A major part of the problem stems from every country that gorged on debt and ridiculous financial instruments that were no better than gambling in the casino on a massive scale.

London - Self proclaimed financial centre of the World.

British Banks - Bought many of these CDO's, CD's and MBS's that are one of the major reasons for this nonsense.

British Banks - Lent out stupid money to people that could not afford it.

British Banks - Due to actions above helped in creating the biggest housing bubble the UK has ever seen

British Banks - Helped to create numerous of these financial instruments described above.

British Banks - Reaped huge 'profits' from this credit fuelled binge

British Banks - Paid huge amounts in tax to the Government from this credit fuelled binge.

British Government - Sold our Financial Services economy as a symbol for this country.

British Government - Fuelled the boom by refusing to include any measure of mortgage capital or interest inlfation in the CPI figures used to define intereste rate decisions.

British Government - Stated when coming to power they would end boom and bust and unstable house price inflation - instead did the complete opposite.

FSA - Sat back and did Jack **** when watching this credit & debt bubble spiral out of control.

British People - Borrowed more and more without any thought of the future or how they intended to ever pay it back.

British People - Changed from a nation that classed a house as a home to a nation that classes a house as an investment.

British People - Some of the most indebted in the entire World.

British Public Finances - When you include PFI and the recent input into the Finance sector - one of the most indebted in the entire World.

Anyone who believes that this problem has little to do with our nation needs to open their eyes to the truth.

PS - Not getting at you in particlular richiehmfc. I just get mega peed off when people listen to this liar and take in what he says. He is a disgrace.

• Abolished the Graduate Endowement - saving students (and parents) over ?2300

• Abolished perscription charges

• Lifted the bridge tolls

• Saved the Rosyth Zeebrugge ferry

• Save A&E's in Ayr and Monklands

• Put extra police on streets

• Reducded class sizes

• Gave all P1-P3's free school meals

• Gave the go ahead for a Forth Crossing

• Frozen the council tax

• Cut class sizes

• Failed to honour a ?100million commitment to write off student debts.

• Ditched plans to give all first-time home-buyers a ?2000 grant.

• Failed to ensure to ensure that all pre-school children in Scotland have access to a nursery teacher.

• Failed to complete class size reductions as per your manifesto.

Guest Dipped Flake

The more the unionists slag off Alex Salmond the more I think he must be doing something right.

On the point of what the SNP would have done in this current crisis, there is no way of answering that. In an independant Scotland, our banks would have been controlled in a different way, not saying that woujld have been better or worse, just different. That means that the impact on our banks of the global credit crisis would have been different too.

On our reindeers point about the Scottish cup being all Salmond is interested in; he has been hosting several Scottish cabinet meetings over the last few days, coming up with action plans to try and stimulate the Scottish economy in these hard times. Of course there is a limit to what he can do as we are still tied to the rest of the UK.

Guest Dipped Flake
  • Failed to honour a ?100million commitment to write off student debts.

• Ditched plans to give all first-time home-buyers a ?2000 grant.

• Failed to ensure to ensure that all pre-school children in Scotland have access to a nursery teacher.

• Failed to complete class size reductions as per your manifesto.

Didn't know it was 2010 already....

Archived