Levein's testimonial 12/10/97

Devries4

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I was always under the impression it was a half Hearts half Hibs top!

Remember the Sky Sports logo though.

Colquhoun played that day, could've been him?

I remember going to that, queueing for half an hour to get a pie, missed the first 20 mins of the 2nd half, got 2 the front only to be told there was nothing left to eat!

John Leslie took some abuse that day. Would've got more if it had been 5 years later!!

One for the anorak, maybe.

Kinda fancy this lot on ebay and checked London Hearts with no avail.

Anyone got an idea who wore No7 for Hearts that day?

McCann?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEARTS-CRAIG-LEVEIN-BENEFIT-MATCH-12-10-97-MATCH-WORN_W0QQitemZ250305902299QQihZ015QQcategoryZ112998QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As it is a size XL (46-48"), I doubt it was worn by Neil McCann - or any other professional player. (unless of course it was Nade in a time-warp).

Gavin Hastings, as mentioned in another post would be a good shout - although I must confess that I never recall him playing for us.

As it is a size XL (46-48"), I doubt it was worn by Neil McCann - or any other professional player. (unless of course it was Nade in a time-warp).

Gavin Hastings, as mentioned in another post would be a good shout - although I must confess that I never recall him playing for us.

Most players jerseys that are sold mach worn seem to be oddly large. Hastings did play but as a sub so I doubt he was number 7.

That was the day that Gavin Hastings played for us.

Hastings played (for the last minute) in the Dave McPherson testimonial a couple of months previous.

This game (0-1 v Hibs) was actually a 'benefit' match for Levein, with his 'testimonal' proper having taken place in 1995 v Coventry.

Buffalo Bill

Hastings played (for the last minute) in the Dave McPherson testimonial a couple of months previous.

This game (0-1 v Hibs) was actually a 'benefit' match for Levein, with his 'testimonal' proper having taken place in 1995 v Coventry.

Buffalo Bill

You're right actually, I remember now.

I think John Leslie may have been in goals for Hibs at some point during the CL testimonial.

Remember going to a testimonial dinner in the Sheraton 4 Craigie when I was totally in awe of the Hearts guys that are now the "Legends" - would it happen now?

Captain Scarlett

McCann?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEARTS-CRAIG-LEVEIN-BENEFIT-MATCH-12-10-97-MATCH-WORN_W0QQitemZ250305902299QQihZ015QQcategoryZ112998QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm sure i still have the match day programme up in my attic, not sure if it was the 1st game or 2nd though. I will dig it out and get back to u with all the details

The game was 1998 after the World Cup.

John Collins played and was given a good reception by us.

It was definitely 1997. The game was absolute murder.

It was definitely 1997, part of a great season.

A tale of three Johns and two Jims.

John Collins stood out as being a completely different species from your standard Scottish footballer. Whatever abuse we might have given him more recently, he'd been playing an international match the day before (Saturday) but still produced a classy cameo for Craig.

John Colquhon played for a spell and looked short of breath.

John Leslie played the last ten minutes in goal and, to be fair, made one memorable save.

As for the Jims, Duffy turned up in a suit to honour our man (as a fellow defender who lost much of his career to serious injury) whereas Jeffries was in Europe on a spying mission (if I remember correctly).

The 1-0 victory was the highlight of Hibs season, which ended in relegation.

Levein was able to take part for the first minute or so, and it was the last time we ever saw him grace the turf at Tynecastle.

Perhaps the real highlight of the match was the guest performance by Pasquale Bruno. Hibs scored a late goal. I think it was either Kenny Miller or Bannerman.

Thankfully, Levein got a decent turnout of around 8,000; including several hundred Hibs fans; which was much better than the 3,000 who made his testimonial proper.

Buffalo Bill

I was at that game and the attendence was quite low due to it being on a sunday and it being on TV- I'm sure I had it on video but will be in the loft somewhere-never find it now.

I mostly remember the game for the lack of tackles-(Typical Testimonial), losing 1-0 and the fact that a few of the Hibs strikers looked tiny-sure Dobbie was one of them

The Sky Scottish logo was all over the TV Broadcast-Strip on E-Bay looks well smart.

Ah the memories ;)

The game was 1998 after the World Cup.

John Collins played and was given a good reception by us.

12th of October 1997.

It says it on the e-bay page and the close up photo of the badge.

Yep. It was played the day after Scotland beat Latvia 2 nil at Parkhead to qualify for France 98, hence the good reception for Six-pack.

Remember being at St James on a tour in the summer and the tops were in the dressing room and Owen has an XL!!!!!

Asked the boy if it was his top and he said it was!!

Prince Buaben
Remember being at St James on a tour in the summer and the tops were in the dressing room and Owen has an XL!!!!!

Asked the boy if it was his top and he said it was!!

Maybe he likes a baggy top??

As for that mtch i've got a signed programme and menu from the dinner with the coaster on it too!!

alasdairborthwick

Anyone notice how the guy selling the strip seems to be selling a lot of Stevie Frails old strips from his career.

Maybe someone who just lost his job looking to make a bit of cash!!!!!!

Dougie Vipond

McCann?

Just had a look and no.7 that day was Stevie Frail........

Team: Rousset, Locke, Naysmith, McManus, Bruno, Ritchie, Frail, Mackay, Crabbe, Flogel, Burns,

Subs: Quitongo (11), Horn (10), Robertson (9), Colquhoun (8), Young (15), Bradey (5), McKenzie (1)

Att: 8,057

Winter is the time for anoraks!!

Just had a look and no.7 that day was Stevie Frail........

Team: Rousset, Locke, Naysmith, McManus, Bruno, Ritchie, Frail, Mackay, Crabbe, Flogel, Burns,

Subs: Quitongo (11), Horn (10), Robertson (9), Colquhoun (8), Young (15), Bradey (5), McKenzie (1)

Att: 8,057

Winter is the time for anoraks!!

Thanks very much. With the seller flogging other Frail gear I suppose it was likely.

Archived