Fat men making millions from boxing, pointless rant.

Tazio

I've just watched the Vatali Klitschko fight on Setanta to regain a world title.

Four years without a fight and straight back into the ring to get a title without a warm up fight.

Mainly due to the fact that he was fighting someone called Samuel Peter who despite having a good record of 30-1 with 23 KO's was almost completely spherical.

He was so out of shape Klitschko just had to stand out of his range with his arms by his sides hitting him with long range punches. After a couple of rounds the lardy lad was knackered and his head was swelling up to the same shape as the rest of him.

I'm glad when I was a youngster the heavyweight division had a lot of good boxers in good shape with good skills. They need to make a super heavyweight division for these people. The great heavyweights of the past would be considered very small nowadays. This is why a huge amount of the great fights and rivalries of the past 20 years have been middleweights, pace and power make for good boxing. Two lardballs doesn't.

I hate to say it but I hope Haye gets a title and people may wake up and see that smaller faster powerful fighters make for better entertainment.

I've just watched the Vatali Klitschko fight on Setanta to regain a world title.

Four years without a fight and straight back into the ring to get a title without a warm up fight.

Mainly due to the fact that he was fighting someone called Samuel Peter who despite having a good record of 30-1 with 23 KO's was almost completely spherical.

He was so out of shape Klitschko just had to stand out of his range with his arms by his sides hitting him with long range punches. After a couple of rounds the lardy lad was knackered and his head was swelling up to the same shape as the rest of him.

I'm glad when I was a youngster the heavyweight division had a lot of good boxers in good shape with good skills. They need to make a super heavyweight division for these people. The great heavyweights of the past would be considered very small nowadays. This is why a huge amount of the great fights and rivalries of the past 20 years have been middleweights, pace and power make for good boxing. Two lardballs doesn't.

I hate to say it but I hope Haye gets a title and people may wake up and see that smaller faster powerful fighters make for better entertainment.

Good post!

I never watch heavyweight fights anymore, as they are just so slow and the skills of the boxers are non existant

That's why I really hope Haye's chin is good enough to withstand the few good shots he takes, as he has the speed and skill to destroy the big fatties, and hopefully encourage higher skilled boxers to develop

Carl Weathers

The Heavyweight division is a farce. I hope Haye does well because he is in great condition and has a bit of character about him - and because he is British!

I didn't bother watching the fight last night as I knew it would be a joke. I'm looking forward to the Calzaghe and Hatton fights though.

Haye's got me excited about the heavyweight division for the first time in years. Anything can happen when he's in the ring.

The Heavyweight division is a farce. I hope Haye does well because he is in great condition and has a bit of character about him - and because he is British!

I didn't bother watching the fight last night as I knew it would be a joke. I'm looking forward to the Calzaghe and Hatton fights though.

I watched the Haye vs Macaranelli fight a number of months ago, not knowing anything about Haye, but his superior condition told, with him having much quicker hands, better movement, and lethal finishing.

It will be interesting to see how he does at Heavyweight, because that division has been lacking quality since Lennox Lewis retired.

Carl Weathers
I watched the Haye vs Macaranelli fight a number of months ago, not knowing anything about Haye, but his superior condition told, with him having much quicker hands, better movement, and lethal finishing.

It will be interesting to see how he does at Heavyweight, because that division has been lacking quality since Lennox Lewis retired.

I was the same. This is a decent clip of the KO from the Mormeck fight in Paris - the one before Maccarinelli, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B19Re17fmWk&feature=related

Never understood the appeal of boxing, the heavyweights especially are just dull.

Also, why is it called a boxing 'ring' when its very clearly a square?

I watched mma on saturday night. Never watched anything like that before but there was a guy called Fader? They guy was an absolute machine. Was better than bxing for watching anyway.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Good point.

The problem at heavyweight is that the division has become flooded by fairly average fighters who manage to make progress simply because they are massive and can therefore beat people senseless.

I can't remember the last time a heavyweight fighter was top of the pound-for-pound ratings. On talent alone, somebody like Mayweather would waste any heavyweight we've seen in the last 15-20 years.

I watched mma on saturday night. Never watched anything like that before but there was a guy called Fader? They guy was an absolute machine. Was better than bxing for watching anyway.

MMA and UFC are excellent to watch, think the next biggy is this weekend, UFC 89.... on setanta!

Gavsy Van Gaverson
MMA and UFC are excellent to watch, think the next biggy is this weekend, UFC 89.... on setanta!

It is indeed, but not a really great card to be honest. Bisping v Leben will be a good fight though.

Back to boxing - Samuel Peter was horrendous. He just proved average/crap he is. He didn't even have the bottle to go on. He was hardly busting a gut and was no way exhausted, he was just very poor. The heavyweight division is crap right now (has been for over a decade).

It is embarrassing for the sport when the only heavyweights people are still interested in are Lewis and Tyson, and they've been retired for a few years now. Its a bloody shame.

I actually don't mind Vitali...very robotic, but a decent boxing brain on him. Yes he's 6'8, but has some ability (unlike Valuev who is 7ft...but thats it). Barring the Klitschko brothers, the heavyweight division is awful. The only shining light is that Haye is stepping up. Fingers crossed he can make things interesting!

I see that Don King is to offer Lennox Lewis 25 million to come out of retirement to fight Vitali again!!! Sadly enough, that would probably be his hardest opponent (Haye aside).

The heavyweight divisions been gash ever sinse Tyson completely lost the plot, don't get me wrong Lewis was atleast a brilliant boxer but him apart i'd struggle to think of anyone who'd even have been considered for a title shot 10/15 year ago. Matt Skelton and Danny Williams even got title shots ffs.

I actually don't mind Vitali...very robotic, but a decent boxing brain on him. Yes he's 6'8, but has some ability (unlike Valuev who is 7ft...but thats it). Barring the Klitschko brothers, the heavyweight division is awful. The only shining light is that Haye is stepping up. Fingers crossed he can make things interesting!

I see that Don King is to offer Lennox Lewis 25 million to come out of retirement to fight Vitali again!!! Sadly enough, that would probably be his hardest opponent (Haye aside).

Lewis is now too old and has been out of the ring for too long. Very desperate attempt to build a superfight with a long-retired fighter, which does say a lot about the competition.

Lewis knew when the end was in sight and went out before he was over the hill.

Lewis is now too old and has been out of the ring for too long. Very desperate attempt to build a superfight with a long-retired fighter, which does say a lot about the competition.

Lewis knew when the end was in sight and went out before he was over the hill.

Yep, there is absolutely no way he could come out of retirement now. Fair enough the big russian has done it after 4years out, but he's still been training and sparring with his brother during that time so he's always been in decent nick during his years off.

Lewis would be crazy to fight him

Archived