Now Boyd quits Scotland!

shaun.lawson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7665985.stm

Shameful. Even more shameful is that Walter Smith will surely make no attempt to change his mind. The Largs mafia is running wilder than ever; and I hope opposing fans let Boyd know exactly what they think of him. It's just disgusting.

Shameful. Even more shameful is that Walter Smith will surely make no attempt to change his mind. The Largs mafia is running wilder than ever; and I hope opposing fans let Boyd know exactly what they think of him. It's just disgusting.

Whats disgusting about it

Boyd is imo the most prolific scottish forward around at the moment, his goalscoring record alone for me is proof enough he should start every game when fit at internation level - and club level but im not bothered about that.

Boyd has been treated badly by both club and country and left on the bench far too often when he deserves to play

I think his actions are entirely justified, if Boyd had been given that opportunity instead of Iwuelemo scotland would have 3 points.

I might boo Boyd for being a dirty hun but he wont be getting booed for taking what is an entirely justified course of action imo

If I was boyd and I sat on the bench whilst 2 poorer quality strikers where brought on I would have told him where to go as well.

Guest jambomickey

who can blame boyd? it's the managers who won't pick the guy we should be having a pop at.

Kris Boyd is spot on. He is a goal scorer and proved it at any level he's been given a chance at. Yesterday Iwelumo and Fletcher were brought on ahead of him and Boyd was the obvious choice.

He's never going to get a look in for Scotland under Burley and yesterday proved it. He's simply wasting his time.

boabyarsebiscuit

Kris Boyd to me is a mystery. He is a natural penalty box striker, but finds it hard getting time on the field at his club, and for his country. If Boyd had had the ball at his feet 3 feet from an open goal yesterday, the ball would not have spun past the post, but would have been tucked into the back of the net without too much ceremony.

It's a free country, and if he doesn't want to play for Scotland under George Burley, then that's his choice. The only thing slightly annoying is how the Sunday Mail are openly taking Kris Boyd's side in this, describing him as a "passionate Scot" and inferring Burley is at fault. If Kris feels George doesn't rate him, and if he feels it's a waste of his time turning up at international get togethers only to be overlooked when the side is picked, fair enough. It is his decision.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Boyd is imo the most prolific scottish forward around at the moment, his goalscoring record alone for me is proof enough he should start every game when fit at internation level - and club level but im not bothered about that.

Boyd has been treated badly by both club and country and left on the bench far too often when he deserves to play

I think his actions are entirely justified, if Boyd had been given that opportunity instead of Iwuelemo scotland would have 3 points.

I might boo Boyd for being a dirty hun but he wont be getting booed for taking what is an entirely justified course of action imo

If I was boyd and I sat on the bench whilst 2 poorer quality strikers where brought on I would have told him where to go as well.

Did you read Burleys reason for not playing him?

Entirely justified.

How anyone can refuse to represent their country is beyond me.

Waste of skin.

absolute garbage, sorry. For a player who cannot get a game for his club to effectively tell the manager that he has a right to be in the team is farcical.

Burley was asked about Boyd and said he needed to be playing for his club. what's wrong with that.

He can rot on the bench at Ibrox and should never get the opportunity to pull on a Scotland jersey again.

The first half of yesterdays game was needing someone like Boyd to win headers and hold the ball up, yet he still never came on at half time.

He's quite right i think. He'll shortly be doing it with Rangers as well.

Just because he hasn't been picked by the manager he gets in a huff and quits. Shows the type of person he is.

If he played week in week out he might have an argument!

ToadKiller Dog

Not a shock to see someone with a rangers connection undermine the national side,there does seem to be a real dislike for Burley and maybe Gordon Smith amongst parts of the weedgie establishment .In Boyds case sounds very clever for him to take such a stance due to the miss and the result he will have lots of backing were as if scotland had won he would be made a public enemy.

Has he quit Rangers for being benched there too? Nah, thought not: too much money at stake.

What's shameful is any player turning their back on their country out of pure petulance. When you represent a national team, you don't play for yourself: you play for millions of your countrymen and women. You don't betray them, and harm their team's chances of playing on the greatest stage of all.

If the SFA have any balls at all, they should refuse to accept Boyd's 'retirement', call him up for the next squad, then prevent him playing for his club if he refuses to join up. National associations have this capacity under FIFA regulations. But they won't, because they'd be terrified of upsetting the OF, so will just leave their manager undermined instead. Shameful, as I said.

I can't stand Kris Boyd but he does have a point. Put yourself in his shoes, you're a Striker, (not like one of ours, a proper one that scores goals) and you know if you are given the nod you would be fairly likely to stick one in the pokey then the Manager gives the nod to a total nobody who has never played at this level and the game finishes 0-0 while you sit on the bench watching, all the time knowing, just like the thousands watching know that you could have made the difference. If I was Boyd I think i'd have done the same.

Guest jambomickey
Kris Boyd to me is a mystery. He is a natural penalty box striker, but finds it hard getting time on the field at his club, and for his country. If Boyd had had the ball at his feet 3 feet from an open goal yesterday, the ball would not have spun past the post, but would have been tucked into the back of the net without too much ceremony.

It's a free country, and if he doesn't want to play for Scotland under George Burley, then that's his choice. The only thing slightly annoying is how the Sunday Mail are openly taking Kris Boyd's side in this, describing him as a "passionate Scot" and inferring Burley is at fault. If Kris feels George doesn't rate him, and if he feels it's a waste of his time turning up at international get togethers only to be overlooked when the side is picked, fair enough. It is his decision.

like the username! where did that come from?

Why hasnt he told Smith he's not available for Rangers as well then???

There is something wrong with Boyd that nobody knows outside the training ground. Why should such a decent goalscorer be incapable of being regularly picked by his club or country?

Kris Boyd is spot on. He is a goal scorer and proved it at any level he's been given a chance at. Yesterday Iwelumo and Fletcher were brought on ahead of him and Boyd was the obvious choice.

He's never going to get a look in for Scotland under Burley and yesterday proved it. He's simply wasting his time.

He's not had much of a look in at Rangers either. Do you reckon he should quit them too?

kennygarland1

Where has Boyd been treated badly? Because he thinks he should be playing? Get a grip ya muppet,this is just another example of todays players and their over inflated egos. After being overlooked for years did Robbo spout such ****t? did Derek Johnstone? Every player thinks they should be playing but to turn your back on your country and throw the dummy out the pram shows the type of muppet he really is,are you related per chance?

I can see Boyd's point - I cannot understand why such a prolific poacher can't get a game for club or country. I couldn't care if he scratches his arse for 80 minutes as long as he is in the right place at the right time.

I can't help but wonder, however, who is orchestrating this huns v Scotland stuff.

Thats ****ed up.

TBH, when I heard Burleys comments regarding Boyd yesterday. did think he could have chosen his words better.

Boyd has made sure he put the comment in about how he still wants to play for Scotland but not Burley.

For the life of me, cant understand how Fletcher played ahead of Boyd.

Toys out the pram eh?

What a ****ing big bairn.

Some of the players nowadays have me scratching my head.

Buch of fairy boys.

There is something wrong with Boyd that nobody knows outside the training ground. Why should such a decent goalscorer be incapable of being regularly picked by his club or country?

There are, of course, rumours. Haven't a clue whether they have any credence though.

who cares, we're not gona qualify anyway and burley will get sacked and Boyd will be back for the qualifiers for EURO 2012 in Poland where the beer is cheap and so are the flights. Africa is miles away anyhow.

White powder and a very heavy drinking problem is what Rangers fans tell me. Known to turn up to training smelling of last night's drink, allegedly.

Which is quite strange really, thought him and Burley would get on quite well.

Did you read Burleys reason for not playing him?

Entirely justified.

How anyone can refuse to represent their country is beyond me.

Waste of skin.

Burleys reasoning is a load of crap

Boyd has played 9 times this season (3 only as a sub) and scored 4 goals, its hardly not playing.

Iwuelemo has played 7 times (2 as a sub) and scored 8 goals - including 2 against a lower league team.

So Boyd has actually played more games!!

Now add to this boyd is a far more proven regularl goalscorer, is younger and playing at a higher level burleys justification is utter crap

And tbh If I was boyd I would quit too, whats the point in sacrificing your free time and family/social life if your not going to be used? the difference with the huns is that they pay his wages and as of yet he hasnt had a decent chance to move on, I have no doubt if a premiership club came for him he would be away in a second.

As much as scotland not doing well does't really bother me too much as its what I am used to, players quitting does annoy me.

In 1989/90 John Roberston was the only top scorer from their league not to be included in their countries WC squad, and scotland failed losing to Costa Rica.

Robbo didnt spit the dummy and pull out, and he was a million miles better than Boyd

Thats ****ed up.

TBH, when I heard Burleys comments regarding Boyd yesterday. did think he could have chosen his words better.

Boyd has made sure he put the comment in about how he still wants to play for Scotland but not Burley.

For the life of me, cant understand how Fletcher played ahead of Boyd.

Boyd is obviously a lazy fecker and must be pretty poor in training. To have his goal scoring record and not get a game for club or country suggests it's HIS fault.

Burley is picking players on merit. I'm 100% happy with that.

I would rather we lost than go back to the Craig Brown days of picking a player because their face fits.

Someone should remind Boyd he was playing for Killie a few seasons ago. Numpty.

He's not had much of a look in at Rangers either. Do you reckon he should quit them too?

For the good of his career, yes. I think Rangers are too sensible to let him go to any one else in the SPL as they know the damage he can do, and I don't think Boyd fancies moving out of Scotland as he had chances with Hull and a German club.

Boyd has played 9 times this season (3 only as a sub) and scored 4 goals, its hardly not playing.

Iwuelemo has played 7 times (2 as a sub) and scored 8 goals - including 2 against a lower league team.

Now add to this boyd is a far more proven regularl goalscorer, is younger and playing at a higher level burleys justification is utter crap

And tbh If I was boyd I would quit too, whats the point in sacrificing your free time and family/social life if your not going to be used?

By which reckoning, twelve players out of 23 should refuse to turn up for every international? They're not going to be used, after all...

Sorry but we should be asking why 3 managers refuse to play Boyd, is it not likely that maybe there is a problem with Boyd? As Burley says afterwards, Boyd isn't even playing for Rangers - in fact he maybe shouldn't even have named him on the bench since he probably wouldn't give him a game.

Sorry but Boyd and McCulloch before him are a disgrace - nobody has a right to walk into the squad, I just hope it makes those who remain stronger.

boabyarsebiscuit

Indeed he was. And he was rattling in the goals there too. How glad I am we signed Juho Makela instead of Kris Boyd for pretty much the same money.

White powder and a very heavy drinking problem is what Rangers fans tell me. Known to turn up to training smelling of last night's drink, allegedly.

Which is quite strange really, thought him and Burley would get on quite well.

Heard them stories as well, Sean.

What does not make sense if this is the case is why he plays some games, and not others.

Its actualy pretty easy to predict what games he will play for Rangers.

Celtic? Nah

Kimarnock at home?

Yup.

Any game where Rangers know they will have possesion in the others teams half and can afford someone who works in the last third, he starts.

thats 3 rangers players not playing for scotland (kenny miller is raging about not starting in iceland, his hamstring is just fine) i would love to see the press reaction if it was hearts players! I would put money on it being a slightly different take!

And tbh If I was boyd I would quit too, whats the point in sacrificing your free time and family/social life if your not going to be used? the difference with the huns is that they pay his wages and as of yet he hasnt had a decent chance to move on, I have no doubt if a premiership club came for him he would be away in a second.

I have 2 questions for you.

1. How many goals has Boyd scored this season?

2. How many goals has Iwuelemo scored this season? (Against higher quality defenders as well it should be said)

As much as scotland not doing well does't really bother me too much as its what I am used to, players quitting does annoy me.

In 1989/90 John Roberston was the only top scorer from their league not to be included in their countries WC squad, and scotland failed losing to Costa Rica.

Robbo didnt spit the dummy and pull out, and he was a million miles better than Boyd

Boyd's not the first and won't be the last though. Off the top of my head I can think of Carragher, Scholes, Totti and Nesta who have given up International football for different reasons. And, they are all a million times better than Robbo.

By which reckoning, twelve players out of 23 should refuse to turn up for every international? They're not going to be used, after all...

Your completely missing the point though and that is that Boyd shouldnt miss out, he probably should even be starting every game

He is the most prolific scottish striker around and on a consistent basis

Other people on the bench such as fletcher etc have not established themselves and have to earn their place, I do not see what else Boyd could do as a player as he does exactly what a striker is meant to do and hits the net on a regular basis

The way Boyd is being treated by both club and country is not good for Boyd, I think given the chance he will score goals which he proved at Killie.

I am going to make a comparison Boyd and McCoist two different players but both played for Rangers, Killie and Scotland, would McCoist have been treated the way Boyd has?

boabyarsebiscuit
I do not see what else Boyd could do as a player as he does exactly what a striker is meant to do and hits the net on a regular basis

Eh? So that's what strikers are mean to do? Somebody tell Csaba quick.

Boyd is obviously a lazy fecker and must be pretty poor in training. To have his goal scoring record and not get a game for club or country suggests it's HIS fault.

Burley is picking players on merit. I'm 100% happy with that.

I would rather we lost than go back to the Craig Brown days of picking a player because their face fits.

Why pick him in the squad then?

Seems pretty clear Burley had no intention of playing him.

For the record, Butcher was on Sultana last week praising Boyd for his hard work in training - could be bull, but it was strange as the conversation was not about Boyd, it was Butcher who pushed the converstaion in that direction.

Heard them stories as well, Sean.

What does not make sense if this is the case is why he plays some games, and not others.

Its actualy pretty easy to predict what games he will play for Rangers.

Celtic? Nah

Kimarnock at home?

Yup.

Any game where Rangers know they will have possesion in the others teams half and can afford someone who works in the last third, he starts.

Pretty much spot on, he's played when they know the game will suit him. Which is great for Rangers that they have a good enough squad to do this.

If he played for us, he'd play every game regardless.

Your completely missing the point though and that is that Boyd shouldnt miss out, he probably should even be starting every game

He is the most prolific scottish striker around and on a consistent basis

Other people on the bench such as fletcher etc have not established themselves and have to earn their place, I do not see what else Boyd could do as a player as he does exactly what a striker is meant to do and hits the net on a regular basis

Would I have picked Boyd? Sure. Unless, of course, there's another reason for his continued omission, ie. the type of thing JamboSean has suggested. Moreover, how many managers is that now? Le Guen, Smith, McLeish, Burley. None of them started him consistently. Are they really all wrong?

Any player who stomps off in a huff when not selected instead of knuckling down and working to regain their place lets their fans and teammates down - and demonstrates, in what is a team game, that they just cannot be trusted.

And tbh If I was boyd I would quit too, whats the point in sacrificing your free time and family/social life if your not going to be used? the difference with the huns is that they pay his wages and as of yet he hasnt had a decent chance to move on, I have no doubt if a premiership club came for him he would be away in a second.[/QUOTE]

If any premiship team really wanted him then they could have come and got him by now, it's just that they don't. I believe that McLeish had enquired about him when he became Birmingham city boss but it fizzled out.

Boyd is an erse. What muppet would turn their back on their country ?

If you read the article in the papers its Burley he has turned his back on not his country. He has made that clear

I have 2 questions for you.

1. How many goals has Boyd scored this season?

2. How many goals has Iwuelemo scored this season? (Against higher quality defenders as well it should be said)

Higher quality defenders is your opinion, yes there are some but a lot of championship teams are pish.

Boyds record over his career is far better with a record of just over 1 goal every 2 games all of in the top flight, Iwuelemo's is just short of 1 in 4 and its only since he joined colchester in 2005 that he has been capable of hitting more than 10 in a season, he has also flittered around lower leagues not once establishing himself in a top flight

Also boyd has scored 7 goals in 15 internationals

I very much doubt there is another current international striker with a record much better than boyd's for any team and I think anyone who says he shouldnt be starting every international never mind being benched for pish like Iwuelemo is letting their hatred of all things rangers get in the way of rational thinking

kennygarland1

I'm saddened by all the support for Boyd here,he is a sanctimonious jumped up coke snorting hun. He is'nt exactly the messiah,i've seen him miss sitters just like i've seen Thierry Henry and Ronaldo and the best players in the world.Boyd has made a huge mistake and will regret spitting the dummy out big time,he should never be picked for another Scotland squad again.

Why pick him in the squad then?

Seems pretty clear Burley had no intention of playing him.

For the record, Butcher was on Sultana last week praising Boyd for his hard work in training - could be bull, but it was strange as the conversation was not about Boyd, it was Butcher who pushed the converstaion in that direction.

That's interesting, never saw the interview with Butcher.

There is obviously a massive problem with the Huns and Burley.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few more walk soon. Shambles.

If the SFA have any balls at all, they should refuse to accept Boyd's 'retirement', call him up for the next squad, then prevent him playing for his club if he refuses to join up. National associations have this capacity under FIFA regulations. But they won't, because they'd be terrified of upsetting the OF, so will just leave their manager undermined instead. Shameful, as I said.

Show me where it says this, I'm honestly not doubting that it "may" be true but first Ive ever heard of this. I'd be shocked if that could ever be implemented

Totally agree with you there mate!

Higher quality defenders is your opinion, yes there are some but a lot of championship teams are pish.

Boyds record over his career is far better with a record of just over 1 goal every 2 games all of in the top flight, Iwuelemo's is just short of 1 in 4 and its only since he joined colchester in 2005 that he has been capable of hitting more than 10 in a season, he has also flittered around lower leagues not once establishing himself in a top flight

Also boyd has scored 7 goals in 15 internationals

I very much doubt there is another current international striker with a record much better than boyd's for any team and I think anyone who says he shouldnt be starting every international never mind being benched for pish like Iwuelemo is letting their hatred of all things rangers get in the way of rational thinking

I'm of the opinion a player should be picked on merit.

Going by your logic we should just get Ally McCoist stripped. He has a great record.

It's simple really, play well and you get a game.

McCulloch and Boyd can feck right off and rot in the Huns reserves.

Archived