For older Jambos.....

Denny Crane

bilston angel
Don't suppose anyone here remembers Billy Liddell's guest appearance for us during WW2?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Liddell

I can't remember that appearance for obvious reasons, but I'm sure I saw him in a friendly for Liverpool against us in the fifties at Tynecastle. He scored one possibly two goals, does anybody remember that game?

bilston angel
I can't remember that appearance for obvious reasons, but I'm sure I saw him in a friendly for Liverpool against us in the fifties at Tynecastle. He scored one possibly two goals, does anybody remember that game?

Can't find a friendly against Liverpool on the London Hearts site so it might have been an Edinburgh Select game at Tynecastle anybody remember it?

That also begs the question have we ever played against Liverpool?

Even assuming they were a schoolboy at this game they'd still be into their seventies by now Matt.

Hence the "Don't suppose...". I knew it was a bit of a long shot but having an English affiliation in LFC, was just curious about an Anfield legend apparently playing a game for us (like Keegan did in 84).

bilston angel

In answer to my own question went back to 1929 before I found a friendly against Liverpool how sad is that on a Saturday night, thanks to London Hearts. We beat them 3-2 and I'm not going back any further, drink is kicking in now!

ps we've played Chelsea in a lot of friendlies followed by Newcastle.

WorldChampions1902
Can't find a friendly against Liverpool on the London Hearts site so it might have been an Edinburgh Select game at Tynecastle anybody remember it?

That also begs the question have we ever played against Liverpool?

Billy Liddell did indeed play against the Edinburgh Select side on 2nd Aug 1958. The Liverpool Team that day was, T Younger, R Moran, J Molyneux, B Wilkinson, R White, J Wheeler, j Melia, J Harrower, A A' Court, W Liddell and F Morris.

Edinburgh Select was:- G Marshall, J Grant, G Thomson, E Turnbull, J Paterson, J Cumming, D Murray, T Preston, A Young W Bauld, W Ormond

http://www.londonhearts.com/images/pr1958-59/pages/1958080201%20Edinburgh%20Select%20vs%20Liverpool%20Tynecastle.htm

bilston angel
Billy Liddell did indeed play against the Edinburgh Select side on 2nd Aug 1958. The Liverpool Team that day was, T Younger, R Moran, J Molyneux, B Wilkinson, R White, J Wheeler, j Melia, J Harrower, A A' Court, W Liddell and F Morris.

Edinburgh Select was:- G Marshall, J Grant, G Thomson, E Turnbull, J Paterson, J Cumming, D Murray, T Preston, A Young W Bauld, W Ormond

http://www.londonhearts.com/images/pr1958-59/pages/1958080201%20Edinburgh%20Select%20vs%20Liverpool%20Tynecastle.htm

Thank you for that, the names in that game evoke some memories!

Seymour M Hersh
A good Dunfermline man;)

Theres a statue proposed for Townhill in D/line,his birthplace!

Hope they build it!

With the ball at his feet how he looks very sweet Billy Liddle! Red legend.

Archived