George Burley - The new Berti Vogts?

3inaBednar

portobellojambo1
Got found out today? wrong tactics and changed them too late.

agree??

Not really, all I witnessed was a game of football between two sides who are clearly not good enough to be going to World Cup finals.

Not really, all I witnessed was a game of football between two sides who are clearly not good enough to be going to World Cup finals.

Amen to that :sad:

Berti Vogts? The guy who had the balls to try and change the national game from staying in the comfort zone of picking ageing pros to giving young players a chance?

Berti Vogts was in the unfortunate position of having to go through a transitioinal period which brings inconsistency.

George Burley? A man trying to get Scotland players to believe in their ability and try to play and win football games the right way.

Ultimately they may not be good enough but the past attitudes of the Smiths , McLeish`s, Roxburghs and Browns is what had held the standard back in this country.

agree??

Could easily (should have) won and one goal would be the difference - almost everyone I heard state a view before the game thought this.

On that basis the tactics were fine IMO the subs weren't. Fletcher* should never have come on, the partnership of CI and Faddie would have been worth 20 minutes at least.

He made a mistake, a bad one, doesn't make him anything less than the best available Manager for Scotland and doesn't stop him learning from it.

*Not because he is Hibs

agree??

dont know about found out,but thought at time was a decent appointnment,but line ups and formations are not as attacking as i would have hoped,too cautious in macedonia and starting one up front at home today very costly,dont think we can qualify now.

He has very little to work with, particularly with Ferguson, Hutton, Thomson and Miller all out - 4 of his 6 best players.

Look at the performances today by the likes of Caldwell, the imposter Maloney and Darren Fletcher. Not good enough to be world cup qualifying challengers far less getting through the group. And leaving out Boyd is just daft.

But ... both he and Laszlo could do with having a look at the Glorious video to remind what a great formation 4-4-2 can be. Jankauskas coming short and Bednar going longer. Wingers tucking in when necessary but going wide when there is an opportunity. A niggardly defence, top class goalkeeper - and a brilliant water carrier in front of the defence sweeping it up. With the way that the likes of Jankauskas and Skacel played it really was the flexible formation that both Laszlo and Burley seem to want. But it was based on the defence/Brellier.

He has very little to work with, particularly with Ferguson, Hutton, Thomson and Miller all out - 4 of his 6 best players.

Look at the performances today by the likes of Caldwell, the imposter Maloney and Darren Fletcher. Not good enough to be world cup qualifying challengers far less getting through the group. And leaving out Boyd is just daft.

But ... both he and Laszlo could do with having a look at the Glorious video to remind what a great formation 4-4-2 can be. Jankauskas coming short and Bednar going longer. Wingers tucking in when necessary but going wide when there is an opportunity. A niggardly defence, top class goalkeeper - and a brilliant water carrier in front of the defence sweeping it up. With the way that the likes of Jankauskas and Skacel played it really was the flexible formation that both Laszlo and Burley seem to want. But it was based on the defence/Brellier.

Thomson and Miller are not 2 of the best players that Scotland have.

It was actually an advantage that Miller was not in the side today.

Agree with OP. Tactics wrong from the start. When they went 4-4-2 they looked dangerous. There was no need at all to go 4-5-1 and it was clear from the start that the midfield didn't need the extra person so he should have changed much earlier.

Also, when the penny eventually dropped he should have put Iwolomu on with Mcfadden and sacrificed one of the extra midfielders. Iwolomu could have been a target man heading balls on to Mcfadden. Also Mcfadden would not have missed that sitter.

Sorry George, three strikes -

1. Wrong tactics from the start

2. Too late to recognise it

3. Wrong substitution once he eventually realised it

You're out you lightweight

Thomson and Miller are not 2 of the best players that Scotland have.

It was actually an advantage that Miller was not in the side today.

Best 6 Scotland players ... Ferguson, Thomson, Miller, Hutton, McFadden and Brown (and Craig Gordon who I forgot about). So 4 of the best 7 players missing today.

Best 6 Scotland players ... Ferguson, Thomson, Miller, Hutton, McFadden and Brown (and Craig Gordon who I forgot about). So 4 of the best 7 players missing today.

Ferguson, Hutton, Gordon, Brown, McFadden, Robson are the best 6 IMHO.

Thomson is nothing special.

Kenny Miller is rank.

Here is the difference between the last 3 Scotland managers:

Burley: not a friend of the Sportsound old boys club

Mcleish: friend of the Sportsound old boys club

Smith: friend of the Sportsound old boys club

I thought Scotland played to their strengths and mixed it up when necessary. They kept it tight for prolonged periods and when the game opened it was an even contest between two honest yet uninspiring teams. But for an unfortunate miss, all three points would have been secured, and people would have been fairly happy. As I write, England have just conceded and they generally look disjointed. Maybe this Capello chap is tactically naive as well, or perhaps its just that British teams and their supporters still harbour delusions of grandeur.

Whilst I cant disagree, here is my slant

Relatively unsuccessful been booted from all previous jobs

Moderately successful

Fairly successful

I think the picture is clear :bootyshake::bootyshake:

Whilst I cant disagree' date=' here is my slant

Relatively unsuccessful been booted from all previous jobs

Moderately successful

Fairly successful

I think the picture is clear :bootyshake::bootyshake:[/quote']

All 3 managers have Premiership experience - only one secured a 5th place finish and UEFA qualification (clue: it wasn't Smith or Mcleish).

All of Mcleish and Smith's successes were achieved managing Rangers - in Smith's case during the 9 in a row (crap Celtic) era and in Mcleish's by nicking a couple of league titles on goal difference. Winning trophies with Rangers - I could do that.

So lets blame Burley fur the BIG MAN'S MISS!!

Scotland's level is the Norways Macedonia's of this world

We are and have always been "outsiders" to qualify from this group.

Fletcher, dinnae get me started - in saying that i personally thought Norway deserved a win if any team was going too:sad:

Dr Ian Malcolm

To be fair, Iwelumo scores and thas question isn't asked. He saw the 4-5-1 wasn't working, changed to 4-3-3 (which, lets be honest, Wlater/Eck wouldn't have dreamed of, it would have been Boyd on with 5 mins left\0 and we looked far more dangerous.

Even if Fletcher/Iwelumo got anyhting on Broadfoot's cross at the end we'd all be praising Burley's chnages.

Whilst we weren't great, Norway weren't any better/worse and but for better finishing, we'd have 3 points.

At the end of the day, we were always playing for 2nd place. Keep our results on a par with the Normies/Macedona, we're in with a shout of a play off place, which is what we should be aiming for.

Burley can do one part of a manager's job - changing formations or tactics during a game to finish the stronger team. In this respect he is better than his opposite numbers. What he needs to do is to get the team playing well from the kick-off and he isn't able to do this yet.

The Old Tolbooth

Also a player playing out of position, better players (or more experienced players) on the bench, and the 4-5-1 tactic used, but passed off as an imaginary 4-3-3

Now, who does that remind you of? :rolleyes:

agree??

I agree.

I also base all of my football opinions upon those I read in the Recird and the Sun.

Never felt so unwelcome in my life to tynecastle in my life than i did when watchine the scotland game in the haymarket. i have been on the dge of my seat for the past 5 seasons listening to the radio, yeah i have been to european games and cup game at hampden and murrayfield but i have wanted to save my first trip to tynie at my dads hands, i was a late starter to football and he means a lot to me, he's not going to make it to a game at tynecastle and i'm not either until he passes, but what i'm not going to do is listen to alot of eltitest barstewards that think they are better than i am because they go every week.

its an absolute disgrace!!

i've taken alot of **** from everyone else then i get told that i can't take glory that was ours 2 years ago.

really people are we not trying to get A 24,000 STADIUM!!!! The 17,000 fans that are there aren't going to fill it. i know most may call me fair weather but where were they when we were losing to every friendly under the sun for scotland, i've made the trips but not wleocme by these asses at tynie. it makes me sick!!

***** anyone that doesn't accept me as a "Real fan" let them post here where they want to prove they are better than me.

this post will be repeated on tartan army message board please anyone wants to call me not a fan after all the radio games i have had to sit through, i would much prefer to be in the ground.

The joy at the aberdeen result and the horrow of last season, anyone with a problem with me supporting the club speak now or forever hold your peace. i will challnge anyone to not call me a jambo! especially when you don't know what your talking about!

Never felt so unwelcome in my life to tynecastle in my life than i did when watchine the scotland game in the haymarket. i have been on the dge of my seat for the past 5 seasons listening to the radio, yeah i have been to european games and cup game at hampden and murrayfield but i have wanted to save my first trip to tynie at my dads hands, i was a late starter to football and he means a lot to me, he's not going to make it to a game at tynecastle and i'm not either until he passes, but what i'm not going to do is listen to alot of eltitest barstewards that think they are better than i am because they go every week.

i've taken alot of **** from everyone else then i get told that i can't take glory that was ours 2 years ago.

really people are we not trying to get A 24,000 STADIUM!!!! The 17,000 fans that are there aren't going to fill it. i know most may call me fair weather but where were they when we were losing to every friendly under the sun for scotland, i've made the trips but not wleocme by these asses at tynie. it makes me sick!!

***** anyone that doesn't accept me as a "Real fan" let them post here where they want to prove they are better than me.

this post will be repeated on tartan army message board please anyone wants to call me not a fan after all the radio games i have had to sit through, i would much prefer to be in the ground.

The joy at the aberdeen result and the horrow of last season, anyone with a problem with me supporting the club speak now or forever hold your peace. i will challnge anyone to not call me a jambo! especially when you don't know what your talking about!

Eh?

I'm even more confused than Chris Iwelumo infront of an open goal.

Whilst I think Boyd is a knob and a ****** and a bawzack and a lazy selfish player.....................................HE ****ING SCORES GOALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently we played 433 today. Any manager who didn't play Boyd today is tactically incompetent. Sorry but I don't give any manager any excuse. Everyone knew today was a day for a lazy striker. It was a day we could AFFORD a lazy striker.

Instead Burley played an unknown untried debutant - off the bench.......

Boyd would have scored. FACT.

And I hate him when I say that.

The Old Tolbooth

Doug, is that you?

You forgot MA HA and GORGIE RULES!!

George Burley was shown up today IMO. His decision making was truly awful. Why take mcFadden off? (I presume there was no innjury issue). Why not put on Boyd for the last 10 minutes, where little chances are gonna spring up? Would he have scored from the ball that Broadfoot played across? Too many questions really. He never had to make the big decisions at Tynecastle because the game was normally as good as over before he had to.

Just back from Glasgow and here are my views:

Sorry but McFadden was not his best today and deserved to be taken off as much as anyone. Although it was a 4-5-1 it was quite attacking in that Brown, Robson and Maloney are really good forward/attacking players.

Though the result was not great I actually though we were good today, the first half not as good as the second but plenty of possession, kicked the ball around well, Norway had a few chances but that's to be expected, especially when we were going forward so much.

Tactics and subs I though were VERY brave, not initially but I'm glad he's not afraid to change what's not working and we certainly looked better after he made the double subs. Also he made them at 60 mins in so it was plenty of time to see them work, not 10 mins by the end. Steven Fletcher and Chris Iwelumo did ok, I know it was a bad miss from Iwelumo but he did well after it, got all the high balls put up to him and the only thing i'd really question was why he didn't start.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Burley knows more than we can ever dream of. FACT!

We missed players today and we missed a sickening chance. We went 4-4-3 but our players BOTTLED it.

I'm gutted but hey, we will bounce back. :sad:

rudi must stay

agree??

agree with your first point tbh, to start with he played the wrong line-up. To his credit though he changed it at the right time, there was still at least half an hour to go in the game which is enough time to score a few goals

WHAT A MISS. one of the biggest sitters ive ever seen bein missed. cant blame burley wen the boy couldnt hit a barn door wi a beach ball.

Archived