Mulgrew red card appeal dismissed by SFA

7628mm

BBC Radio Scotland have just mentioned that the SFA have dismissed Aberdeens appeal against Charlie Mulgrews red card last Saturday against Hibs.

If this is indeed correct then it is yet another example that the SFA truly believe that they are a law unto themselves.

You really couldn't make this up and though not completely suprised by their actions I am extremely disappointed.

Go on Aberdeen sue the living daylights out of them.

I've just watched the highlights again to refresh my memory.In my opinion,the ref was correct in the sense that the boy had his arm out as the ball came to him.So,no problem there but....:rolleyes:....how he and his assistant muppet could not see that Fletcher was offside is not a mistake,it's sheer incompedence.

I take it they never mentioned that?

givememychoice

I hadnt actually seen that until now. That is shocking.

Mind you, can somebody explain to me why Bamba wasnt sent off? Given that the ref had decided it was a foul. The ball would have come through to the striker and he would have had a one on one with a keeper. Surely, "a clear goalscoring chance"

Im confused.

It just seems to be football thing.

McFadden says he scores, Robson says he's not sure but it is more likely McFadden but television finally proves McFadden is the scorer.

Cue Fifa - Robson's goal.

Green Giants
I've just watched the highlights again to refresh my memory.In my opinion,the ref was correct in the sense that the boy had his arm out as the ball came to him.So,no problem there but....:rolleyes:....how he and his assistant muppet could not see that Fletcher was offside is not a mistake,it's sheer incompedence.

I take it they never mentioned that?

Yep, there is no defence (pardon the pun). Fletch was offside and the whistle should have blown for a free kick to Aberdeen. It shouldnt have mattered, the whole Aberdeen team could have played rugby with the ball and they would have all stayed on.

Never a Dons pen either btw

Konrad von Carstein
Yep, there is no defence (pardon the pun). Fletch was offside and the whistle should have blown for a free kick to Aberdeen. It shouldnt have mattered, the whole Aberdeen team could have played rugby with the ball and they would have all stayed on.

Didn't see the highlights but you are talkin pesh there:p

Thig Ar Latha

Appeal could never suceed as he handled the ball while it was still in play. Mulgrew did'nt handle the ball because the Hibs player was offside, he handled it to stop a goal. The FACT that the Hibs player was offside, but played on by the Ref, was down to the Refereeing incomptenance that we are all too familier with and not directly (crazy though it may seem) related to the red card. :mad:

Appeal could never suceed as he handled the ball while it was still in play. Mulgrew did'nt handle the ball because the Hibs player was offside, he handled it to stop a goal. The FACT that the Hibs player was offside, but played on by the Ref, was down to the Refereeing incomptenance that we are all too familier with and not directly (crazy though it may seem) related to the red card. :mad:

The fact was that the ball was still in play. There was no flag from the linesman and no whistle from the referee.

The intention was to handle the ball and prevent a goal.

Even though the whole of the stadium could see that it was offside, that does not invalidate the red card. It is no surprise that the appeal failed.

The fact was that the ball was still in play. There was no flag from the linesman and no whistle from the referee.

The intention was to handle the ball and prevent a goal.

Even though the whole of the stadium could see that it was offside, that does not invalidate the red card. It is no surprise that the appeal failed.

I don't doubt your interpretation/explanation.

It is crazy though. Had the rules been operated properly the ball wouldn't have been in play when it reached him, whatever his intention.

The Dons penalty wasn't right either....

The linesman gives a throw-in.

Player from team A takes it and throws to a colleague.

Player from team B charges in with a reckless 2-footed challenge leading to the team A player being carried off with a very serious injury.

Referee sends the player from team B off.

No problem.

Manager from team A checks the t.v. footage and it's pretty clear that the throw-in should've been their's and not team A's.

Team B appeal and the red card is annulled.

Fair?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Correct.

As a ref, I find handball the most difficilt law to administer consistently.

The law clearly states "Deliberatly handles the ball"

Offside Fletcher deflected the ball, so did Mulgrew have a chance to avoid the ball with his arm? Personally, I say no penalty as the law stands.

Common sense says it should be a penalty but no sending off, however that is not an option. Remember Neilson against Rangers a few years ago.

Typical example for how poor our officials are for the past few seasons.

(myself included ;)

The main problem is that because the offside was not given , the ball was still in play and the action stopped a goal .

Lets face it offsides are not given all the time and that sadly will continue until video evidence of some from is brought in ( que the debate )

Now if the GFA were to recind (sp) the red card where would it end ? Aberdeen could then ask for the penalty award to be recinded too for the same reason , then what ?

replay ? call it a draw ?

I dont agree with the decision but it could open a massive can of worms that the GFA are not willing to open .

I remember when Lee Wallace got booked at Pittodrie last season. It turned out the linesman had signalled the ball had gone out of play just before so the ref took back the yellow on the spot.

I remember when Lee Wallace got booked at Pittodrie last season. It turned out the linesman had signalled the ball had gone out of play just before so the ref took back the yellow on the spot.

I think it was for for a foul given FOR Wallace rather than what the ref assumed was against him. The difference there was the linesman corrected the ref at the time and, as the game had not restarted, he was able to correct the decision.

If the game had restarted he would have had to suffer the second yellow and subsequent red card, with no appeal possible as it would not have been a straight red.

For once the ref and the linesman did the RIGHT thing - not often we can say that !!!

The Old Tolbooth

Never a Hibs penalty in a million years, and for the GFA to uphold the decision is ridiculous.

However, I agree that the Aberdeen penalty was a blatant dive by Miller, but because he's Scottish and not Lithuanian, nothing gets said.

I think before we get too excited about all this we should examine the reputation of the referee, whoever he was. Has he been involved in controversy before, for instance. Who was the referee?

Archived