Driving slow in the outside lane

richiehmfc

I am getting really annoyed by people who drive slowly in the outside lane. What really brought it home was driving in Spain, i drove from Valencia to Madrid and back last month and the motorways are a joy compared to here.

People drive in the inside lane and pass slower moving vehicals when they need to, if a car is approaching fast behind, they pull into the inside lane at the first oppertunity and let them past.

It is the opposite here, people drive in the outside lane. They sit on the outside when their is no traffic in the inside lane and cars looking to go faster are behind them...it really annoys me.:mad:

I was too scared to drive that fast on toll roads. I figured simply schoolboy maths says that if you do a certain journey in a certain time your average speed = something easily worked out. I was waiting for my ticket to be checked and a police man wander over.

Anyway with roads like that in a country like Spain.... who's in a rush ?

The one that really annoys me is folk who are going straight on or right at the Milton Road turn off, so they sit in the outside lane from the bypass turn off!

I drove in Abu Dhabi, and the road system there was a million times better. That, and the fact you could overtake on both sides, made driving so much better. I hate having to undertake someone here, as I am always worried they will just pull in without checking, since them sitting in the outside lane when the road is clear shows they don't know what their mirrors are for

I am getting really annoyed by people who drive slowly in the outside lane. What really brought it home was driving in Spain, i drove from Valencia to Madrid and back last month and the motorways are a joy compared to here.

People drive in the inside lane and pass slower moving vehicals when they need to, if a car is approaching fast behind, they pull into the inside lane at the first oppertunity and let them past.

It is the opposite here, people drive in the outside lane. They sit on the outside when their is no traffic in the inside lane and cars looking to go faster are behind them...it really annoys me.:mad:

If they are going less than 70 mph then fair enough. If they are going 70 mph then what's your problem as that is the speed limit on a motorway after all. ;)

If they are going less than 70 mph then fair enough. If they are going 70 mph then what's your problem as that is the speed limit on a motorway after all. ;)

Yes very true boris :P

My problems is with people sitting in the outside lane when there is not traffic in the inside lane.

This morning coming into work on the M9 there was a que of cars in the outside lane sitting at about 60mph obviously in the outside lane as they are in a hurry. i was in the inside lane doing 70 and passed at least 10 of them......this might also annoy people but as you say, i was going the national speed limit. It seems that people dont really understand the roads and how they should be used.

Another hate of mine on roads is when a road merges, say for motorway maintanence, from 2 lanes to 1 and people que up in one lane instead of using both lanes. If they used both lanes properly there would be less congestion.

Arnold Rothstein

Completely irrelevant. The overtaking lane should only be used for overtaking. If i want to drive faster than the speed limit, it is not up to you to police!

Completely irrelevant. The overtaking lane should only be used for overtaking. If i want to drive faster than the speed limit, it is not up to you to police!

But if I am in the outside lane going the fastest i am allowed to then no-one has the right to get past anyway as to do so they would have to break the law.

Another hate of mine on roads is when a road merges, say for motorway maintanence, from 2 lanes to 1 and people que up in one lane instead of using both lanes. If they used both lanes properly there would be less congestion.

Add to this when a couple of Lorry Drivers suddenly become responsible for the flow of traffic and drive along, side-by-side, at 10 miles an hour so that no one can actually use the filter lane, even though they pass signs saying Use Both Lanes :mad:

Arnold Rothstein
But if I am in the outside lane going the fastest i am allowed to then no-one has the right to get past anyway as to do so they would have to break the law.

That's not your decision to make.

That's not your decision to make.

yeah, but if I am in the outside lane and going as fast as i am legally allowed to go then it shouldn't matter if I am in the outside lane, should it?

Era Macaroons
yeah, but if I am in the outside lane and going as fast as i am legally allowed to go then it shouldn't matter if I am in the outside lane, should it?

You may hinder emergency services.

Era Macaroons

and do you really want to be hogging the fast lane at 70 keeping the law intact when Mr Maddo appears doing 100+?

I just give them the full beam treatment and drive about 5mm off their rear bumper, followed by some choice hand gestures as they finally see sense and pull in.

Works everytime.

Yeah it does, if you sit in the outside lane doing 70 with nothing in the inside lane then you are gay. FACT. END OF, etc etc, etc

Nucky Thompson
But there could be a doctor going to an emergency or someone driving a pregnant woman to the hospital. It's not on hogging the outside lane:mad:

But there could be a doctor going to an emergency or someone driving a pregnant woman to the hospital. It's not on hogging the outside lane:mad:

But I'd obviously be checking my rear view mirror regularly as well as keeping a fastidious eye on the speedometer so i would see the ambulance coming!

etc etc

Hehehe

I very rarely drive, but it's interesting to see who all wants to speed...(not aimed at you specifically Boo ;))

Add to this when a couple of Lorry Drivers suddenly become responsible for the flow of traffic and drive along, side-by-side, at 10 miles an hour so that no one can actually use the filter lane, even though they pass signs saying Use Both Lanes :mad:

I hate it when we are all in a queue and there are signs saying right hand lane closed for road works sure as fact i aint letting anyone in when i have waited my turn.

the new road markings at the bridge get quite fun, outside road merges into middle lane, seeing all these people bomb out and try force their way in, its onto the chevrons for you im afraid.

oh another one is the road from sighthill to wester hails just past the education centre. everyone goes straigt on or turns left, there are no road markings so people on the outside lane get to the front and try to merge, gets my goat every day

Highway Code rule 264

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking.

this_is_my_story
Totally agree. Motorway driving in Spain is much better than in Britain. In Edinburgh, people have become scared to use inside lanes ever since the introduction of the Greenways. They are ignorant of the times of use and many folk never venture onto them, even at 2am!:mad:

Did you take any of the toll motorways in Spain? Its like being in a drug dealer movie, with car chases at 120mph+ in huge Mercs and Porsches.:P

The Spaniards drive like sheer nutcases, the roads seem to be the one place where the 'Ma?ana' attitude does not prevail! As for roundabouts... seems to be everyman for himself, they don't appear to understand how it should work.

As for the 70mph+ on motorway debate... Why are cars sold which can move at twice the legal limit in the first place? :confused:

Highway Code rule 264

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking.

oot the car Stirling!

MV5BMTM1MjQ3MDU4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjQzMjcxMQ@@._V1._CR0,0,280,280_SS90_.jpg

Yer nicked! :eek:

sweeney1.jpg

;):P

Should be allowed to shoot the ****** that sit in the outside lane for no apparent reason.Doing 70mph isnt an excuse.

The interupt the flow of traffic,should be slaughtered at birth :)

The Spaniards drive like sheer nutcases, the roads seem to be the one place where the 'Ma?ana' attitude does not prevail! As for roundabouts... seems to be everyman for himself, they don't appear to understand how it should work.

As for the 70mph+ on motorway debate... Why are cars sold which can move at twice the legal limit in the first place? :confused:

I think the speed limits on British roads were imposed back in the 1950's. There has been talk of putting the motorway limit up to 80mph but the safety campaigners believe that will encourage people to drive at 90...

Era Macaroons
Yeah it does, if you sit in the outside lane doing 70 with nothing in the inside lane then you are gay. FACT. END OF, etc etc, etc

:laugh:very true

Many moons ago when i was taking my driving lessons, i was told by my instructor that you could undertake vehicles, as long as you were consistent with the flow of traffic (i.e. not speeding) and that you weren't simply jumping in and out of lanes trying to overtake and then undertake.

If the motorways were kept in better condition, they would probably be able to allow you to travel at any speed that you feel comfortable at. How many folk stick to the speed limits on motorways? Its very difficult sometimes, but i always try to make sure that i'm a few MPH under when in the town.

Its the folk that go racing about when near to schools or in built up areas that really annoy me. Any wee kid could run out and they'd have no chance to avoid hitting them. Inconsiderate b's!

The Old Tolbooth

It's old folk and mostly women that fall asleep in the fast lane on motorways than do my head in, they just sit there doing 50-60mph unaware of what is happening behind them. ARRGGHHHHHHH!

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 (I'm ok now) :)

the new road markings at the bridge get quite fun, outside road merges into middle lane, seeing all these people bomb out and try force their way in, its onto the chevrons for you im afraid.

HA HA HA tickled me that, could just imagine you trundling along whilst carnage ensues behind

Archived