Settle a ?10 bet! Throw in Rules

BigC

Can a ref give the throw in to the other side if the person taking it takes too long?

There is nothing clear in the official rules. All it says on the FIFA site is that "any other infringement" is punishable by a throw in taken by the other side, but that doesn't prove it conclusively.

Can anyone link to any rulings or give specific examples of when this has happened?

I'm on the "yes he can reverse the decision" side of the argument. My mate thinks that all the ref can do is add on time at the end.

Was actually talking about this yesterday!

Yep, the ref can give the throw in the other way - happened in a Real Maroon game a couple of years back.

Was actually talking about this yesterday!

Yep, the ref can give the throw in the other way - happened in a Real Maroon game a couple of years back.

I assume the referee that day is now in the SPL.

you most certainly CANNOT give the throw-in away. The thrower should have been yellow carded and time added on (as in a game against Killie at Tyney a few seasons back, Stevie Fulton)

The Marooney Meister

I'm 99% sure I've seen this happen before, so unless there has been a rule change I must be mistaken.

I am SFA Qualified

Can you point me to a website or even a book, or the course you went on that covered it?

Add do you think there have been instances of it happening at senior level?

Like other posters, I'm sure I've seen it happen before, which is why I took the bet.

Can you point me to a website or even a book, or the course you went on that covered it?

Add do you think there have been instances of it happening at senior level?

Like other posters, I'm sure I've seen it happen before, which is why I took the bet.

Restart of play

? If the ball is out of play, play is restarted according to the previous

decision

The above is all I can find, A referee may change his decision before re-start of play ONLY if he realises he has made a mistake with his original decision. He has no authority to change a decision whilst the ball is "out of play"

Another common mistake by referees in amateur football:-

If the ball touches the ground before entering the field of play, the

throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position provided

that it was taken in line with the correct procedure. If the throw-in

is not taken in line with the correct procedure, it is retaken by the

opposing team.

Another unknown rule commonly thought of as foul play:-

If a player, while correctly taking a throw-in, intentionally throws the

ball at an opponent in order to play the ball again but neither in a

careless nor a reckless manner nor using excessive force, the referee

must allow play to continue.

As far as I know you can't lose a throw in for time-wasting, you'll only get booked for that.

Only if the throw is a foul throw can it be given the other way.

Restart of play

? If the ball is out of play, play is restarted according to the previous

decision

The above is all I can find, A referee may change his decision before re-start of play ONLY if he realises he has made a mistake with his original decision. He has no authority to change a decision whilst the ball is "out of play"

Another common mistake by referees in amateur football:-

If the ball touches the ground before entering the field of play, the

throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position provided

that it was taken in line with the correct procedure. If the throw-in

is not taken in line with the correct procedure, it is retaken by the

opposing team.

Another unknown rule commonly thought of as foul play:-

If a player, while correctly taking a throw-in, intentionally throws the

ball at an opponent in order to play the ball again but neither in a

careless nor a reckless manner nor using excessive force, the referee

must allow play to continue.

Hartley done that

Can a ref give the throw in to the other side if the person taking it takes too long?

There is nothing clear in the official rules. All it says on the FIFA site is that "any other infringement" is punishable by a throw in taken by the other side, but that doesn't prove it conclusively.

Can anyone link to any rulings or give specific examples of when this has happened?

I'm on the "yes he can reverse the decision" side of the argument. My mate thinks that all the ref can do is add on time at the end.

You're confusing two different issues here :

If the player is delaying the restart of play by deliberately taking too long & wasting time the ref should yellow card him

As play has not restarted the same team retains the throw in and play restarts accordingly.

If you think about it logically , how often do you see goalies getting a yellow card for delaying a goal kick but play restarts with the goal kick after the caution.

I have a FA refs badge.:(

Green Giants

Slightly changing the tack but it was on MOTD or Sportscene recently when a player took a throw in, deliberately bounced it off the back of a team mate and play was waved on. The closest opposition player was doing his nut - wish i could remember who it was

Commander Harris
Hartley done that

I remember something similar but did he not throw it against his own man's back rather than an opposition player?

Destruction Derby
Slightly changing the tack but it was on MOTD or Sportscene recently when a player took a throw in, deliberately bounced it off the back of a team mate and play was waved on. The closest opposition player was doing his nut - wish i could remember who it was

Hartley has done it before but 2 weeks ago it was on MOTD

Arteta for Everton

Green Giants
Hartley has done it before but 2 weeks ago it was on MOTD

Arteta for Everton

Cheers - senile dementia setting in here

superhearts51

Pretty much exactly what i told him but dont worry he wouldn't listen to me either, thats why he now owes me ?10 ha ha.

Smoked-Glass

in a hearts v celtic game 2004 (1-1) a celtic player took so many steps down the line that everyone was shouting at him and giving him abuse! Kenny clarke just watched him and when he finally threw the ball he blew his whistle and gave it to Hearts instead.

Also last year our meaningless end of season clash with falkirk when we got beat 2-1 on setanta, we took to many steps or did a foul through and the throw was given to falkirk instead.

So you CAN give the throwin to the other team if they take to many steps. I even had an old computer game called ACTUAL SOCCER 3 that let you walk down the line when taking a throw in and after so many steps it gave the throw to the other team.

It's not necessarily the number of steps - it's simply the fact that the ball isn't being thrown in from where it left the field of play.

Though I do remember a time when I was taking liberties (and getting away with 'em) in throwing in to the extent that the opponents' coach deliberately stood on the line where I wanted to throw from (i.e. about 5 yards further up the line than I should've been!!)

I politely said 'Excuse me' and he said 'No'.

So I just went around him,thereby gaining an extra couple of yards, threw the ball in and turned around to give him a cheeky GIRUY grin. :D

But I'm not proud of it :D

in a hearts v celtic game 2004 (1-1) a celtic player took so many steps down the line that everyone was shouting at him and giving him abuse! Kenny clarke just watched him and when he finally threw the ball he blew his whistle and gave it to Hearts instead.

Also last year our meaningless end of season clash with falkirk when we got beat 2-1 on setanta, we took to many steps or did a foul throw and the throw was given to falkirk instead.

So you CAN give the throwin to the other team if they take to many steps. I even had an old computer game called ACTUAL SOCCER 3 that let you walk down the line when taking a throw in and after so many steps it gave the throw to the other team.

You can award a throw to the opponents only when a "foul throw" has been taken not before.

you can only give it to the other team if it is taken from the wrong position. amount of time taken has nowt to do with it.

superhearts51

Cheers for posting guys. Big c is still being stubborn and claiming he is right so thanks for helping to prove him wrong.

Superhearts will get his tenner (unless by some miracle someone contradicts previous posters with some stunning late evidence), but not before I've posted a photo of him on his stag night...

8196020a4969015471l.jpg

I'm a bad loser.

you can only give it to the other team if it is taken from the wrong position. amount of time taken has nowt to do with it.

The wording of the laws of the game don't actually say that.

Why would you award a throw in to the opposition when the other team takes it from the wrong position ? You certainly wouldn't do it for a free kick taken in the wrong position.

Walter Bishop

No, he can book the player for time-wasting, but cannot award the throw the other way.

Archived