If you were interviewed for CEO of HMFC......

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

IF Campbell Ogilvie has decided he is taking early retirement and Vladimir Romanov decided he is retiring from business to concentrate on sailing the world & writing poetry and was interviewing for somebody to be the new Chief Executive of Hearts with day to day control of the club and in charge of spending & budgets etc. and all football club staff including the manager & players......

There would not be limitless funds available so you would have to apply to UBIG for financing and justify your decisions....you would be expected to reduce the club debt where possible.

Mortgage Finance to rebuild the stadium might be available if you can present a justifiable case.

What would your plans be? - how would you run Hearts if YOU had control?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

[*]Scrap the stand plans and upgrade the current stand for a fifth of the price.

[*]Have a January clearout of all the big earners wasting our time (you know the ones)

[*]Try and work with Laslo to bring in 2 or 3 experienced SPL players.

[*]Issue a statement to the fans signalling our plans for the next few seasons. (An honest assessment of where we are and what we need to do)

Send our scouts/coaches/tea ladies to Arsenal to study how they operate and try and replicate their footballing philosphy

Charlie-Brown
  • Scrap the stand plans and upgrade the current stand for a fifth of the price.

• Have a January clearout of all the big earners wasting our time (you know the ones)

• Try and work with Laslo to bring in 2 or 3 experienced SPL players.

• Issue a statement to the fans signalling our plans for the next few seasons. (An honest assessment of where we are and what we need to do)

What would your plans & goals be in this timescale you've given? [asks interviewer]

What would your plans & goals be in this timescale you've given? [asks interviewer]

Tough question!

I have to be honest, I was jealous when Rod Petrie released a statement to the fans about his goals. I think it's a great idea and instills a bit of realism into the support.

I would probably apologize for the past few seasons of decline, add a dose of reality by giving our targets (top six/3rd place) and make it clear we don't have mega bucks required to challenge the Old Firm.

I would make it clear that we are going to return to our proud traditions and stop all the nonsense and make sure we have 11 players on the park who will die for the club.

I think thats all your average Jambo wants.

Is NMH conducting an actual interview online ?

:)

If I get the job he's the first one off the pay roll. ;););)

Drylaw Hearts
If I get the job he's the first one off the pay roll. ;););)

You really should have waited until you were appointed before you posted that !!

jamboinglasgow

- gain more outside funding for the new stand.

- have a examination done to see if all the staff are up to standard and beneficial to hearts (including players.)

- Start up a new part of the club called "Heart of Midlothian Ladies Football Club" which would could bring in more revenue through increased merchandise from more female supporters interested.

-Work with Heriot-watt university to set up a course to teach new coaches. The benefit from this would be that hearts could hand pick the best new coaches at the right stage.

- As alan says send coaches and staff around some of the best run clubs who play great football and develop great youngsters (Arsenal, Barcalona and Sporting Lisbon.)

- And as alan also says make a statement about what is the plan for hearts in the next few years (to me it is to bring the club into a better finanicial posistion via some cost cutting and stadium expansion to increase revenue especially in terms of corpoarte boxes. Also to become the premier club in Scotland for developing young players and aim to be renowned in Europe for what we do, while playing succesful football in the SPL.)

Alan Partridge.................You're Hired

Nice one!

Now where is that company car I was promised?!

- have a examination done to see if all the staff are up to standard and beneficial to hearts (including players.)

- Start up a new part of the club called "Heart of Midlothian Ladies Football Club" which would could bring in more revenue through increased merchandise from more female supporters interested.

-Work with Heriot-watt university to set up a course to teach new coaches. The benefit from this would be that hearts could hand pick the best new coaches at the right stage.

- As alan says send coaches and staff around some of the best run clubs who play great football and develop great youngsters (Arsenal, Barcalona and Sporting Lisbon.)

- And as alan also says make a statement about what is the plan for hearts in the next few years (to me it is to bring the club into a better finanicial posistion via some cost cutting and stadium expansion to increase revenue especially in terms of corpoarte boxes. Also to become the premier club in Scotland for developing young players and aim to be renowned in Europe for what we do, while playing succesful football in the SPL.)

When I done my badges it was a boy from Hearts who ran the course.

Alan Archibald I think?

I would tell him to sell Nielson, drop Mole, drop Audrey, drop Wallace, bring in an experienced centre half...oops that would be interferring!!!

Nice one!

Now where is that company car I was promised?!

Just pick it up at Chatha.......... can i get back to you on that. :eek:

TyphoonJambo

Great post by the way.I would start exactly the same as our Weedgie friend but I would also fill the backroom with real Legends,men that give a toss for the real traditions of our club,men like Ford, Robertson etc. I would reintroduce som terracing where the shed used to be. I would get the players into the community, school coahing etc and get all the good youngsters before anyone else. And find out who suplies the pies at Killie!!!

I'd call off the new stand application, and re-apply for a stand costing around ?6m.

Like this.

tynieuf6.jpg

Looks good Peanut, would be superb with the corners filled though.

I'm a bit confused...

Red; Im sure we have been trying, surely you'd review what has gone on and probably decide the revenue possibilities dont meet the needs of the club and its finances. If we're having to cut back, building a new stand for the price we're looking at would be madness, especially when cutting back.

Green; This really confused me, what sort of revenue do you think that would bring, seriously... would love to be proved wrong but I'm sure there are other ways to generate income than womans football.

Apart from that I cant see too many changes to what everyone has said.

I'd add..

If your incharge of the manager -

let him pick the team.

Bring more fans groups in to the club, arrange match days to there needs.

Arrange a new sponsor other than UKIO

Start work on new stand plans with a sponsor that could help fund a smaller project than our original plans.

Bid 75p for half the rangers team.

Ryan Gosling
Looks good Peanut, would be superb with the corners filled though.

The Roseburn would have to be kept separate. Don't want the vermin in the same row as our fans.

I'd call off the new stand application, and re-apply for a stand costing around ?6m.

Like this.

tynieuf6.jpg

Going by your picture, it's just a pity the teams will have nowhere to emerge from. Maybe that would be a good thing though. :( <-----Random smiley

Charlie-Brown

Like this.

tynieuf6.jpg

Only 3 stands? Who do you think we are? Hamilton? Falkirk?

I think your interview might be in trouble Mr Woozle if you've already lost one of the stands before you've even started...... :o

Charlie-Brown
Have I missed something, has there been a suggestion that CO is about to retire?

No but you can tell us how you'd do his job better if he did decide to retire LBJ.

No but you can tell us how you'd do his job better if he did decide to retire LBJ.

Impossible to say as the goings on in the guts of the club are generally unknown.

Charlie-Brown
Impossible to say as the goings on in the guts of the club are generally unknown.

Ok - make some assumptions about what you think you know, have read etc - then let us know your ideas & plans. :)

Charlie-Brown
It's an impossible question to answer as I have no real knowledge of the state of the club constraints etc.

A broadbrush approach, I would basically look to reduce the debt. Whilst, it might annoy some people I would go the Hobo route. Strict wage cap in place, in an attempt to ensure that we turned a profit each year.

The budgets would be based on the assumptions that we get knocked out of each competition in the first round. Therefore, any revenue from cup runs would be a bonus as opposed to being relied on.

I would employ basic business's practices.

I would expect it to be deeply unpopular amongst fans. As the majority of us, only care about signing players to win trophies etc.

With regard to the stadium, without knowing the full extent of the safety certificate. I would propose to spend the bare minimum to ensure it gots its safety certificate and could be used.

Longer term, I would investigate the possibility of moving out of Tynie. Possibly even ground sharing with the Hobo's at a new stadium. Maybe even try and get the council involved to have a city stadium. Not sure it would come to fruition, but I would certainly try and push it.

Again, I would expect this proposal to be deeply unpopular amongst fans.

However, my primary aim would be to get us on a even keel finanicially. When the debt was driven down, I think we could start to build again.

The problem is most people who come into football are unable for a variety of reasons to employ basic business principals. Far too often they let the heart ruled the head.

As Alan Partridge, I would certainly be very open with the plan and let it be known. Try and involve the fans.

Though I would imagine CO would run the club very differently than the way it is run if he had his way.

Very Interesting & radical answers Mr Petrie :P

Charlie-Brown
We've tried chasing the dream a few times now and it has back fired massively.

I can't actually think of one club where the spending to accumulate policy has worked. Particulary, in the SPL where income is very restricted for a variety of reasons.

Whether people like to admit it or not, finacial prudence, seems to be sensible route. What you hope is you get a football team in place and they manage to get punch above their weight. Maybe a trophy or two, the ability to spot and bring on a player etc. What you looking for is gradual growth, evolution as opposed to (Romanov) revolution!

The one thing I would imagine the Romanov era, has taught many is there is more to Hearts than Tynecastle. Not sure that was the case for many before. As I say I would imagine the new stadium and groundshare idea would be unpopular, however, if you explain the benifits and reasons. I do think buy-in would come from a lot of fans.

No doubt some fans would refuse to watch Hearts anywhere other than Tynie. However, I think most would come round. In addition those who would not watch if it was not at Tynie, would they be Hearts fans or Tynie fans.

I think a modern stadium could provide new revenue streams. Particulary if it was groundshared. I think some initiaves could be done ie. where you sell hospitality for the stadium, so companies go every week irrespective its Hearts or Hibs. I would imagine that may of be of interest to certain companies who do not want to be seen to favour one half of the city etc.

What would you do?

1) Why do you think it necessary to burden the club (& possibly Hibernian FC & also the tax-payer) with the financial cost & risk of building a new stadium when a perfectly good modern stadium with excellent corporate facilities and large capacity already exists not half a mile from HMFC traditional home?

2) Hearts have traditionally had a hardcore support of 10-12K fans who regularly attend games and buy ST & merchandise etc.....the club probably has twice this many 'floating' supporters whose attendance is dependant upon the teams performances & results & hampden appearances etc. Do you have any plans on how to attract some of these fans into becoming and remaining more regular attenders?

[ What would I do? .... more of that later .... I'm interested in other peoples ideas for now :) ]

1) Why do you think it necessary to burden the club (& possibly Hibernian FC & also the tax-payer) with the financial cost & risk of building a new stadium when a perfectly good modern stadium with excellent corporate facilities and large capacity already exists not half a mile from HMFC traditional home?

2) Hearts have traditionally had a hardcore support of 10-12K fans who regularly attend games and buy ST & merchandise etc.....the club probably has twice this many 'floating' supporters whose attendance is dependant upon the teams performances & results & hampden appearances etc. Do you have any plans on how to attract some of these fans into becoming and remaining more regular attenders?

[ What would I do? .... more of that later .... I'm interested in other peoples ideas for now :) ]

Surely meeting the needs / expectations of those that go to the games is first and foremost.

What is it he actually does? Apart from chucking final demands in the bin.

Charlie-Brown
What is it he actually does? Apart from chucking final demands in the bin.

I don't know Costa but in this fiction he's retiring anyway - if you wanted the job what would you plan to do?

Charlie-Brown
1. Neither Hearts nor Hibs could fill Murrayfield. Simply, atmosphere would be poor in the end I think it would likely drive supporters away. We've all been there and I think most would admit its a horrible place to watch football.

A new stadium would reperesent a fresh start. I also think if the deal was structured right after the sale of Tynie, Easter Road and external investment I don't think it would cost either club that much. Particulary as operating costs should be reduced. Much more so than say the Murrayfield option which would just eat money.

I'm not talking about another Murrayfield but perhaps a circa 20 k stadium which had multi-purpose use. Particulary, considering Meadowbank is gone.

2. With regard to attracting more fans. Not really thought about it in massive details. Though I would certainly not have some owner meddling in team affairs. Reckon that might attract a few more people.;)

I guess ultimately success on the park pulls fans in. So it would be about getting the right team in place to deliver, success in the park. Though every club is trying that.

I think to pull in floating fan you probably need to attract kids to get them to drag their parents along. Would possibly consider some form of deal like Family Season ticket where 2nd kid come free or something like that. Not sure.

Would also try and push hospitality. Not just bussiness men etc, but a family hospitality thing. Maybe even try and tie in some form of entertainment for the kids so that maybe football is not the main reason but an added bonus and hope to grow them as fans.

Thinking the unthinkable.........

1) would the rental cost of Murrayfield be more or less than the annual commercial interest charges on a debt of ?20M+ ?

Also your arguments against Murrayfield seem to be emotional not objective - there is the possibility for the club to gather much higher matchday gate receipts from Category A matches & European ties at Murrayfield than at Tynecastle and the historical evidence from friendlies & european matches hosted at Murrayfield would suggest that the apparent lack of atmosphere at Muddyfield has NOT been enough of a deterrent to keep fans away given EVERY attendance for Hearts games held there has attracted a bigger crowds than can be accommodated at 17K capacity Tynecastle.

Your ideas about family hospitality packages are an interesting idea. :)

It's an impossible question to answer as I have no real knowledge of the state of the club constraints etc.

A broadbrush approach, I would basically look to reduce the debt. Whilst, it might annoy some people I would go the Hobo route. Strict wage cap in place, in an attempt to ensure that we turned a profit each year.

The budgets would be based on the assumptions that we get knocked out of each competition in the first round. Therefore, any revenue from cup runs would be a bonus as opposed to being relied on.

I would employ basic business's practices.

I would expect it to be deeply unpopular amongst fans. As the majority of us, only care about signing players to win trophies etc.

With regard to the stadium, without knowing the full extent of the safety certificate. I would propose to spend the bare minimum to ensure it gots its safety certificate and could be used.

Longer term, I would investigate the possibility of moving out of Tynie. Possibly even ground sharing with the Hobo's at a new stadium. Maybe even try and get the council involved to have a city stadium. Not sure it would come to fruition, but I would certainly try and push it.

Again, I would expect this proposal to be deeply unpopular amongst fans.

However, my primary aim would be to get us on a even keel finanicially. When the debt was driven down, I think we could start to build again.

The problem is most people who come into football are unable for a variety of reasons to employ basic business principals. Far too often they let the heart ruled the head.

As Alan Partridge, I would certainly be very open with the plan and let it be known. Try and involve the fans.

Though I would imagine CO would run the club very differently than the way it is run if he had his way.

The first thing I would have done would have been to bring back Chris Robinson but you'll do instead. :thumb:

Charlie-Brown
I don't know if the rental against interest. However, for arguments sake lets say Hearts interst is 2m a year, Murrayfield would cost more than that.

The reason we have attracted bigger crowds for the Murrafield games are because they have been big games. European games traditionally attract bigger crowds and Barcelona, well its Barcelona.

We would attract bigger crowds for these games irrespective of where they were played. It was kinda of the whole reason they were moved there. Since we knew we would attarct bigger crowds.

Whilst, its not scientific. I remember a large number of people/posters after the last game at Murrayfield saying they would never attend another game there. Taking into account the emotional factor, the point still stands the atmosphere is awful and people will drift away when its the weekly grind of the SPL.

You say there is the possibility to gain more money for CAT A. There is also the possibility of loosing more money because of the operating costs of keeping a 70k stadium running. Why do you think the egg chasers want rid?

If you want to attract crowds you need to give them something. A stadium will atmosphere will certainly not attract floating fans. Also suggest to help the team an intimitating atmosphere of new stadium would be much better than a 15% filled Murrayfield.

Given the volatility of the banking & financial markets & the inter-bank interest rates it cannot be guaranteed that UKIO will be able to offer a charitable rate of interest on Hearts debts and at some point might have to charge full commercial rates on this debt.......(HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO)

This article here from 2004 states that the SRU rental fee for 2 UEFA Cup group games was ?20K per match but even for allowing for a 50% increase to ?30K per match x 19 Home SPL games is still less than ?600K per season rental costs. (a ?40K fee per match would be ?780K per year...)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4156/is_/ai_n12592176

Pfft the difference I would not have allowed the debt to occur. He chased the dream and failed that was the problem.

I would never want to be CEO or owner of Hearts. I'm a fan I would probably let my heart rule my head which would be the problem.

Ah, but it did occur, we lapped it up and we're paying for it big style.

Now, after all that has gone before, I'd be more optimistic if CR was at the helm.

Obviously, I'm a bit out of practice as far as JKB is concerned, so I don't want to say anything more controversial untill I've been back a bit longer.

After 5 months away, I actually felt a bit nervous logging on tonight.

Charlie-Brown
Alternatively, UBIG to decide that they are making that much money that they won't charge Hearts anything (HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO).

I'm suprised by the cost for Murrayfield. That said I still think they would want more money as they would be looking to share the costs of place.

You are only considering one element, the cost of Murrayfield v cost of debt. You would really have to consider the full picture, ie. income streams, crowds, operating cost etc, etc.

Kinda of these problems with these hypothetical situations, is that you can't build a full picture as its virually impossible to do so.

That said, I'm great believer that gut feelings tend to be right. Mines is Murrayfield long term is not viable. Quite strange discussing with a pro-vlad poster who suggests that Murrayfield is a good idea. You used always say when anyone moaned about Vlad would you rather be playing at Murrayfield! :P

I love my seat at Tynecastle and I love the Old Stand - I would structurally restore it & refurbish it & improve it's internal facilities, access / egress etc. put in better seating etc but I think the Old Stand generates a unique atmosphere within the stadium and should be preserved at all costs - it's the only thing that makes Tynecastle recognisable from days gone by......

I don't care too much about the other 3 Lego-Land Stands that brought us the infamous Pink Bus Shelter nickname so I'd look at redeveloping them if possible to increase capacity - adding meaningful corporate facilities AND implement the return of some TERRACING areas surrounding the pitch if at all possible because that increases capacity in terms of more people can be accommodated in the same space versus seating.......

That would be on the assumption FINANCING was available for stadium redevelopment that wouldn't cripple the club financially during or post reconstruction work ie the stadium would have to be financially viable.

Managing the debt and stopping annual losses has to be an immediate priority - the cost of the team must be brought in line with revenues.

If the cost of debt becomes too much of a financial burden & millstone around the club preventing progress then tynecastle might have to be sacrificed.

Murrayfield whilst far from ideal does offer plenty capacity to grow the crowds and matchday revenues - and the whilst the atmosphere hasn't been great there the atmosphere at tynie in all bar a few games in recent seasons hasn't been great either - I'm sure steps could be taken to improve the matchday atmosphere at Murrayfield - the team playing better when playing there would be a big start.

IF playing at Murrayfield WAS more cost advantagous than remaining at Tynecastle then even a planned term of stay there might allow the club to eliminate the legacy debt in a relatively short term and work towards building up a nest egg as deposit on a mortage for a new stadium of our own - assuming a suitable & agreeable site could found and the cost & size of stadium was affordable. The land & property market when Tynecastle was sold would of course determine how much money the sale would raise - at this time the club would be well advised to hunker down for a few years - cut our cloth to suit and wait for the general economic & property situation to improve.

There are no easy answers or solutions given we're starting with a weak position of a ?20M+ legacy debt millstone to deal with.

That is my thoughts regarding stadium - I've plenty more thought regarding football & other issues which I might post up later but I would like to hear other peoples ideas and suggestions.

Archived