Motherwell Game Tonight

Gigolo-Aunt

Mark McGhee deserves everything he gets.

He said he stayed as he couldn't leave Well before their Euro campaign. I hope those 2 defeats were worth it. Some of the things that Well fans said about Hearts and Hearts fans as well were incredibly bitter and nasty.

We ll get it up you, you bunch of mutants. Your club is pish and Mark McGhee is a dick.

"I'm not coming to Hearts - I have a European campaign to look forward too"

Pfffffffffftttt..........McGee and yer Diddy team..........:4_1_72::4_1_72:

Mark McGhee deserves everything he gets.

He said he stayed as he couldn't leave Well before their Euro campaign. I hope those 2 defeats were worth it. Some of the things that Well fans said about Hearts and Hearts fans as well were incredibly bitter and nasty.

We ll get it up you, you bunch of mutants. Your club is pish and Mark McGhee is a dick.

Hard to argue with a single word of that. :)

"I'm not coming to Hearts - I have a European campaign to look forward too"

Pfffffffffftttt..........McGee and yer Diddy team..........:4_1_72::4_1_72:

European campaign????

Very good McGhee.

Almost as good as the Hobos and their annual humiliation and national disgrace in the intertoto championship of fine international football.

:rofl:

Francis Albert

Earlier this week I read headlines about how McGhee was keen to punish Nancy for "lack of respect" to Motherwell. Not sure what that was about but have just got round to reading McGhee's comments before tonight's match about how Motherwell had to be aware of Nancy "divers" because "European and continental players" (what the distinction there is, or indeed why good honest Scottish laddies are not caught by either term is not clear) are prone to going down at the slightest provocation.

After such stunning hypocrisy and tedious repetition of the Scottish media party line, I am delighted with tonight's result.

Rudi Hates Hibees
Earlier this week I read headlines about how McGhee was keen to punish Nancy for "lack of respect" to Motherwell. Not sure what that was about but have just got round to reading McGhee's comments before tonight's match about how Motherwell had to be aware of Nancy "divers" because "European and continental players" (what the distinction there is, or indeed why good honest Scottish laddies are not caught by either term is not clear) are prone to going down at the slightest provocation.

After such stunning hypocrisy and tedious repetition of the Scottish media party line, I am delighted with tonight's result.

As am I sir.

coatbridgejambo

good stuff .not that i like the french but i do hate those well fans (bunch of neds) just hope its the jt's next year

could not agree more.

he blethered on about nancy showing a lack of respect and a lack of class, then went on to make a right ass of himself by trumpeting about how his team were going to "kick their teeth in".

real classy, and most respectful.

this business about 'johnny foreigner' being too eager to go down compared to the good old scottish player really makes my blood boil. scottish players, managers & media have got to be the most arrogant, hypocritical bunch of whelps in football. even the english media don't behave like that, and they have been known to be a tad jingoistic in their time.

you probably have to be a hearts fan to fully appreciate the mind-numbing double standards of it all, which in turn probably makes us look like serial moaners and conspiracy theorists.

aaah, fek the lot o thum.

So they are now bemoaning the imbalance in finances meaning that it is an uneven playing field.

Baldricks.

French teams practise skills, control and passing.They have got a more mature style of play. Go to a French public park and watch the kids practising.

I saw a French 3rd tier match a few years ago. Better skill than most of the SPL or Championship. A bit flaky at times, but the players were constantly trying to do the "right things". Playing the ball out of defence with short, careful passing, looking for space. And the ball was in play much more than it usually is in SPL... fewer throw-ins, 'cos there were fewer hit-and-hope balls up the wide channels.

I think it was the humiliation of not making Italia90 caused French football to rip it up and start again.

Anyway, it's about more than paying the players high wages.

And the pundits have never complained about the wage imbalance that exists in Scottish football

The People's Chimp

I always like to see murderwell getting spanked and sent home, from anywhere; nancy, aberdeen, dunfermline and most of all tynecastle.

an odious and bitter little club and their manager got all that he deserved.

Charlie-Brown
So they are now bemoaning the imbalance in finances meaning that it is an uneven playing field.

Baldricks.

French teams practise skills, control and passing.They have got a more mature style of play. Go to a French public park and watch the kids practising.

I saw a French 3rd tier match a few years ago. Better skill than most of the SPL or Championship. A bit flaky at times, but the players were constantly trying to do the "right things". Playing the ball out of defence with short, careful passing, looking for space. And the ball was in play much more than it usually is in SPL... fewer throw-ins, 'cos there were fewer hit-and-hope balls up the wide channels.

I think it was the humiliation of not making Italia90 caused French football to rip it up and start again.

Anyway, it's about more than paying the players high wages.

And the pundits have never complained about the wage imbalance that exists in Scottish football

Even if there is a wage imbalance between Le Championat & SPL clubs which there is .... there also exists a wage imbalance in our favour between SPL clubs & Swedish league clubs & also Danish league clubs both of whom have had success against Scots clubs this season and not to mention FBK Kaunas pumping Rangers out of the Champions League.....our clubs european record this season is abysmal - played 10 games lost 8 & 2 draws.....the co-efficient will take a nose-dive this season which knowing our luck will mean more tough draws for Hearts when we qualify for europe again.

Fair enough that's your opinion but a manager who wants to be manager of Hearts is more use to us than a person who doesn't and who flashes his knickers for the Celtic job.

Indeed

shaun.lawson
Word. This is fantastic viewing.

Does it hurt, McGhee?

I'm sure he's gutted - but scarcely surprised - to have been knocked out. The huge achievement was in getting there in the first place: but sadly, a UEFA Cup first round exit is the norm for all non-OF clubs, never mind Motherwell.

What Aberdeen did last season was remarkable, yet barely commented upon at all (except by churlish begrudgers on here). But you only need to look at the 40 seeded teams Motherwell could've drawn: it is incredibly difficult, as it certainly would be for us too. When we reached the group stages under Levein, we were seeded; but we won't be if we're involved in Europe next season.

So he turned down Hearts, where he wouldn't have had complete autonomy, would have been under more pressure from fans and owner alike, and where the limit we are capable of achieving is 3rd place and, in all probability, an early UEFA Cup exit, in order to stay at a club where he does have full control, had already built a decent team, is under far less pressure, and whose maximum capabilities are the same as ours, and any other non-OF club! Seems like a pretty wise decision to me...

shaun.lawson
European campaign????

Very good McGhee.

Almost as good as the Hobos and their annual humiliation and national disgrace in the intertoto championship of fine international football.

:rofl:

But two games and out is a European campaign for non-OF clubs! Alternatively, I could point out that what Well have done is almost as good as our failure to even play in Europe for two seasons running, pair of whuppings by AEK and Sparta when we were last involved, and our pathetic record in European competition overall. As I've said before, when it comes to 3rd place and a Euro spot, all non-OF clubs are just a bunch of bald men fighting over a comb.

I'm sure he's gutted - but scarcely surprised - to have been knocked out. The huge achievement was in getting there in the first place: but sadly, a UEFA Cup first round exit is the norm for all non-OF clubs, never mind Motherwell.

What Aberdeen did last season was remarkable, yet barely commented upon at all (except by churlish begrudgers on here). But you only need to look at the 40 seeded teams Motherwell could've drawn: it is incredibly difficult, as it certainly would be for us too. When we reached the group stages under Levein, we were seeded; but we won't be if we're involved in Europe next season.

So he turned down Hearts, where he wouldn't have had complete autonomy, would have been under more pressure from fans and owner alike, and where the limit we are capable of achieving is 3rd place and, in all probability, an early UEFA Cup exit, in order to stay at a club where he does have full control, had already built a decent team, is under far less pressure, and whose maximum capabilities are the same as ours, and any other non-OF club! Seems like a pretty wise decision to me...

He chose a Diddy team, diddy support, peaked -can only go one way (backwards), for a pittence of a wage.

If it had of gone badly with us he could of walked, much richer, with Vlad to take the blame. Doesn't seem like a wise decision to me.

:)

could not agree more.

he blethered on about nancy showing a lack of respect and a lack of class, then went on to make a right ass of himself by trumpeting about how his team were going to "kick their teeth in".

real classy, and most respectful.

this business about 'johnny foreigner' being too eager to go down compared to the good old scottish player really makes my blood boil. scottish players, managers & media have got to be the most arrogant, hypocritical bunch of whelps in football. even the english media don't behave like that, and they have been known to be a tad jingoistic in their time.

you probably have to be a hearts fan to fully appreciate the mind-numbing double standards of it all, which in turn probably makes us look like serial moaners and conspiracy theorists.

aaah, fek the lot o thum.

Could you imagine if a Hearts manager came out with some of those comments I'd love to see the response in the papers

As for divers, look at your No. 10 you hangdog looking tw@t

Every day that passes makes me more and more happy he never came to the club

shaun.lawson
He chose a Diddy team, diddy support, peaked -can only go one way (backwards), for a pittence of a wage.

If it had of gone badly with us he could of walked, much richer, with Vlad to take the blame. Doesn't seem like a wise decision to me.

:)

'Much richer'? You think we'd have just paid up if he'd walked? We don't exactly have an exemplary record for doing so under Vlad, do we?

But two games and out is a European campaign for non-OF clubs! Alternatively, I could point out that what Well have done is almost as good as our failure to even play in Europe for two seasons running, pair of whuppings by AEK and Sparta when we were last involved, and our pathetic record in European competition overall. As I've said before, when it comes to 3rd place and a Euro spot, all non-OF clubs are just a bunch of bald men fighting over a comb.

You don't half talk some nonsense some times Shaun. In the past 20 years Hearts have beaten Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid, Dnipro, Stuttgart, Bordeaux, Basle, Braga in one off games in Europe. Do care to tell me how that compares to being beaten over two legs by a mid-table French side and failing to score a goal in the process......and I can't recall the last time we only lasted two games in Europe.

Go and support Aberdeen, you seem far more ready to offer them praise.

Chris Benoit
You don't half talk some nonsense some times Shaun. In the past 20 years Hearts have beaten Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid, Dnipro, Stuttgart, Bordeaux, Basle, Braga in one off games in Europe. Do care to tell me how that compares to being beaten over two legs by a mid-table French side and failing to score a goal in the process......and I can't recall the last time we only lasted two games in Europe.

Beat me to it! :thumb:

shaun.lawson

Sorry, but our European record is simply embarrassing! Only one significant run in our entire history - and the only side of any repute we knocked out en route (and arguably, in any Euro campaign ever) were Austria Vienna. Otherwise, it's peppered with at times glorious, but otherwise empty failure. The OF, Aberdeen and Dundee United all boast a much more impressive record historically, something I'm desperate for this club to one day put right.

Bayern Munich, Bologna, Atletico Madrid? Lost every tie. Stuttgart and Bordeaux? Ditto. What's the point of a European tie, if not to progress over the two legs? I can still recall many on here hailing our 1-0 defeat in Stuttgart, when in European terms, it was an awful result, as the Germans demonstrated by scoring twice at Tynie. We mock Hibs fans for celebrating their tie with AEK: what's the difference between that and Stuttgart? It was the same story v Mallorca and Red Star - close, but no cigar. Fair enough, beating Braga was laudable - but remember Byshovets chiding our players for over-celebrating the win in Basel (just as they over-celebrated at only half-time of the tie in Bordeaux)? Sorry, but he was right: we'd achieved nothing yet. And what happened? Basle went through - while we went out.

Our European record is actually vaguely like England's under Sven. Beat the minnows - then lose to the first half-decent side we come up against. Don't you think we should be better than that?

Sorry, but our European record is simply embarrassing! Only one significant run in our entire history - and the only side of any repute we knocked out en route (and arguably, in any Euro campaign ever) were Austria Vienna. Otherwise, it's peppered with at times glorious, but otherwise empty failure. The OF, Aberdeen and Dundee United all boast a much more impressive record historically, something I'm desperate for this club to one day put right.

Bayern Munich, Bologna, Atletico Madrid? Lost every tie. Stuttgart and Bordeaux? Ditto. What's the point of a European tie, if not to progress over the two legs? I can still recall many on here hailing our 1-0 defeat in Stuttgart, when in European terms, it was an awful result, as the Germans demonstrated by scoring twice at Tynie. We mock Hibs fans for celebrating their tie with AEK: what's the difference between that and Stuttgart? It was the same story v Mallorca and Red Star - close, but no cigar. Fair enough, beating Braga was laudable - but remember Byshovets chiding our players for over-celebrating the win in Basel (just as they over-celebrated at only half-time of the tie in Bordeaux)? Sorry, but he was right: we'd achieved nothing yet. And what happened? Basle went through - while we went out.

Our European record is actually vaguely like England's under Sven. Beat the minnows - then lose to the first half-decent side we come up against. Don't you think we should be better than that?

So Braga wasn't a significant win then? A team that had finished 4th in Portugal that season. Or Dnipro? How does our European record compare to the recent record of the the likes of West Ham, Everton etc, both of whom have have gone out of the UEFA cup at the first hurdle a couple of times in recent seasons, with vastly greater resources. When were Hearts last put out of Europe by a team that wasn't comparably bigger than us? Your Aberdeen boys only won one game in Europe last season, their progress was down to sheer luck of the draw.

As for McGhee being better off staying at Motherwell. Would the manager of Norwich be better off staying there if offered say the Aston Villa job? The best both clubs can ever hope for in the current climate realistically is 5th in the Premiership (and before you say that's far fetched for Norwich, both Reading and Ipswich, clubs of similar stature, have finished in the top 7 in the past 10 years). Aston Villa of course have bigger expectations, a bigger budget, a far more illustrious history and bigger crowds and of course more pressure, but by your logic a manager should stay at Norwich because the maximum they can achieve is the same but the pressure of expectation is less?

shaun.lawson
So Braga wasn't a significant win then? A team that had finished 4th in Portugal that season. Or Dnipro? How does our European record compare to the recent record of the the likes of West Ham, Everton etc, both of whom have have gone out of the UEFA cup at the first hurdle a couple of times in recent seasons, with vastly greater resources. When were Hearts last put out of Europe by a team that wasn't comparably bigger than us? Your Aberdeen boys only won one game in Europe last season, their progress was down to sheer luck of the draw.

As for McGhee being better off staying at Motherwell. Would the manager of Norwich be better off staying there if offered say the Aston Villa job? The best both clubs can ever hope for in the current climate realistically is 5th in the Premiership (and before you say that's far fetched for Norwich, both Reading and Ipswich, clubs of similar stature, have finished in the top 7 in the past 10 years). Aston Villa of course have bigger expectations, a bigger budget, a far more illustrious history and bigger crowds and of course more pressure, but by your logic a manager should stay at Norwich because the maximum they can achieve is the same but the pressure of expectation is less?

It's impossible for Norwich to ever finish 5th in the EPL. 17th is our absolute best case scenario, and with our lack of resources, a highly unlikely one at that. Villa, meanwhile, have a realistic best case scenario of 5th, but also the means to spend huge amounts of money in order to at least try and gatecrash the top 4.

As for Hearts: we're cost cutting, and miles adrift of the OF. I'm not about to complain about this - that's life for all non-OF clubs - but while we are a much bigger club than Motherwell, what we're able to achieve in tangible terms on the pitch isn't that much more. Meanwhile, I acknowledged that victory over Braga was laudable (and thanks greatly to our being seeded in the first place); but Dnipro? Big deal. Who were Dnipro back then? Ditto Velez Mostar.

My point is this. In Scottish terms, we regard ourselves as a big club. But at no point have we ever knocked out a real 'name' from European competition. And after half a century of trying, I find that pretty disappointing. I guess our constant pattern of good year/bad year is partly to blame here: for example, had we played against Mallorca as we'd done for much of 97/8, not only would we have knocked them out, but could very easily have gone all the way to a semi-final against Chelsea! But we didn't: as usual, we lost to the first half-decent side we came up against.

One solitary quarter-final in our entire history. You can't regard that as a good return, surely?

To be honest, you have to ask why we are almost obsessed with this European place

We've got there in the past having often limped over the line into 3rd place, having been just good enough to scrape past the rest of the SPL also rans !

How are we then supposed to take on a continental team, almost guaranteed to be more technically proficient, with anything other than minimal expectations ?

Lets face it ...............it's an excuse for a pesh up in a foreign land :sad:

Delighted that the Mudderwell euro dream is over... they were rank rotten against the Noncee boys... I take a small bit of satisfaction in their hounding out of europe!

I wonder if Mcghee towards the end of that **** poor performance had any regrets at staying put?!

GIRUY Boyle bros!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
To be honest, you have to ask why we are almost obsessed with this European place

We've got there in the past having often limped over the line into 3rd place, having been just good enough to scrape past the rest of the SPL also rans !

How are we then supposed to take on a continental team, almost guaranteed to be more technically proficient, with anything other than minimal expectations ?

Lets face it ...............it's an excuse for a pesh up in a foreign land :sad:

What's the problem with that?

It's what football is for. It creates great memories and people still talk fondly about trips to places 20 years ago.

Nothing shameful about wanting to enjoy a trip abroad with your mates while watching the team you love.

Nelly Terraces
I always like to see murderwell getting spanked and sent home, from anywhere; nancy, aberdeen, dunfermline and most of all tynecastle.

an odious and bitter little club and their manager got all that he deserved.

Spot on. Well said, that man.

Absolutley delighted those ***** got dumped. Remember these inbreeds were all over this board after they put us out the cup last year? Would like to think they're hurting badly now, and have as poor and miserable a season as they deserve. Jakey pondlife. hopefully their stinking club will be battling out with St Mingin to avoid relegation.

Spot on. Well said, that man.

Absolutley delighted those ***** got dumped. Remember these inbreeds were all over this board after they put us out the cup last year? Would like to think they're hurting badly now, and have as poor and miserable a season as they deserve. Jakey pondlife. hopefully their stinking club will be battling out with St Mingin to avoid relegation.

That's the spirit!!!

Always thought Motherwell fans seemed like an ok bunch who supported their local team and gave us many good games until this last year.

They are a bunch of spiteful, hateful, bitter a-holes and seeing their pathetic little club whimper out of it's sad attempt at a Euro campaign seems like them getting their comuppence to me. Some of the bile and bitterness they threw at us was incredible, on here and their forum.

They can go spin on it.

Francis Albert

Our European record is nothing to write home about, true. But we have never lost to diddy side. (Lausanne over 30 years ago is the nearest, and Swiss football was relatively speaking probably stronger back then)

If only the same could be said of domestic cup competitions!

McGhee will get found out this season - I think it's becoming quickly apparent that Craig Levein, despite the style of fitba his teams play, is the best manager in the league at building teams and sustaining top 6 finishes.

Q abuse.

This is one of the things that always confuses me about the number of fans (not just at Hearts) who think that Europe is more important than winning the league cup. Only a small percentage of fans every follow their team away, so why are so many fixated on achieving a very short run in Europe over winning a cup?

Did anyone else hear Collins going on at half-time about what a poor show it was that the Nancy manager refused to shake McGee's hand after the 1st leg because he felt Motherwell had kicked his players up and down the park. Collins was going on about how after the final whistle it should all be forgotten and you very rarely see this kind of thing. It's amazing how hypocritical ex-players/ managers are as soon as they become pudits. Has Collins really forgotten his pub-team rant?

Poor old Bobby Malcolm.

I am led to believe his autograph is much prized by collectors. :)

Archived