Volunteers wanted: Haymarket Memorial

brownkg

Following a meeting tonight it was decided to leaflet the fans attending Saturday's match to highlight the campaign we have started to protect the clock.

We are looking for 12-15 willing and able volunteers to hand out approximately 350 leaflets each before the game. Those seriously interested should be able to be at Tynecastle by 1:30 on Saturday and help to distribute the leaflets to fans as they walk up to the gates.

Please send me a PM to indicate your willingness to assist in this cause. Further details to follow once some names have come forward

Thanks in advance from ?Friends of the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial?

The ?Friends of the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial? is an independent group, formed to oppose the Atholl Crescent proposal, to defend the Memorial and to ensure that on completion of the necessary work the Memorial is returned to its natural home - beside the familiar buildings that have always formed its backdrop.

We all know not to read too much into what the Hibsman has to say so good luck to you and keep the pressure up and you will succeed.

If I was not going to see the mighty Spartans in the Scottish cup on Saturday I would have helped. Perhaps next time.

Again good luck

Kev please do not rely on articles like this, it is by no means a done deal, and if the City Officials have their way the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial will indeed be moved away from Haymarket. I think it is fair to say that at present there is no evidence of joined up thinking between the city planners/other senior city officials, and the elected members that are there to represent thr people. The future location of the Memorial remains high risk at present.

This campaign is absolutely vital and will continue until we have a cast iron guarantee that the Memorial will remain at Haymarket.

My hope is that all Hearts fans, indeed all citizens of Edinburgh will support the ?Friends of the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial? campaign, and for those of you on kickback you could start your support by please volunteering to help distribute these leaflets on Saturday. Any help would truly be appreciated.

John S

Jam Tarts 1874

I think this demonstrates the paranoia of some Hearts fans. There is no reason whatsover to believe that the Edinburgh City Council has any agenda to have the clock placed anywhere other than Haymarket once all the works are complete. A discussion was initiated months ago to guage opinion, the opinion was over-whelmingly in favour of the memorial remaining at Haymarket and that is an end of it.

This is not the first time the clock has been moved due to works at Haymarket and just goes to prove that the memorial and it's location continues to out-live the city planners.

I think this demonstrates the paranoia of some Hearts fans. There is no reason whatsover to believe that the Edinburgh City Council has any agenda to have the clock placed anywhere other than Haymarket once all the works are complete. A discussion was initiated months ago to guage opinion, the opinion was over-whelmingly in favour of the memorial remaining at Haymarket and that is an end of it.

This is not the first time the clock has been moved due to works at Haymarket and just goes to prove that the memorial and it's location continues to out-live the city planners.

Really?

I certainly agree that the majority view is in favour of the Memorial remaining at Haymarket, however, closer scrutiny of the Council?s plans, and the current published proposals relating to works by TIE suggest otherwise.

TIE?s published proposals state, and I quote:

?
The proposal for the permanent relocation of the memorial to Atholl Crescent allows the full significance of the ?celebration? (sic) of the Memorial to be realised rather than it merely being a clock in the middle of an even busier road junction
?

I may be na?ve, perhaps even paranoid, however, until the Council commit to a cast iron, perhaps legal guarantee, that the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial will continue to be located at Haymarket (and nowhere else), I would have my doubts about their true intention. As yet the Council have not given that guarantee.

Anyway, back to the business of this thread????.

Could we please encourage those of you who are minded to provide a little help, to contact brownkg and volunteer to hand out some leaflets before Saturday?s match?

Its called being proactive rather than reactive.

Well sir, that is where you are showing you ignorance.

The Council commissioned an Edinburgh architectural practice earlier this year to produce a document (at public expense) proposing the removal of the clock from Haymarket, permanently.

We have copies.

Volunteers will be appreciated for this worthy cause.

Shameless bump. Anybody willing to help on Saturday will be most welcome. We are not asking for a lot, an hour and a half of your time pre match.

Thank you in advance.

Robbos Right Peg

I am not and never have been in favour of the trams dont get me started on that but the memorial is what it is a memorial and if it is in Haymarket or Atholl Crescent does it really devalue its worth ?

The massive statue that is there now was once in St Andrews Street but got moved (when the trams were taken away !!!!) I just cant see the point of this hoo ha now as we should have been demonstrating against bleedin trams in the first place.

Save the environment ??? 3 more years of cars/buses etc with engines running while trying to get across the junctions at the Mound or Hanover Street eh right. Half the polar icecap will be melted before 2011 thanks to our Cooncil

OK……..

Could I respectfully request that the thread is limited to responding to requests for volunteers please?

I have no issue with those who are either against the idea of keeping the Memorial in Haymarket, or those who quite frankly just don’t see it as an important issue.

It is, however, extremely important to very many people, Hearts and non Hearts supporters alike, and it is those people who will be key to the eventual location of the memorial.

If you want to discuss the merits of the location of the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial, could you please start a fresh thread?

Could we please have some volunteers to help distribute leaflets? As bighusref says, We are not asking for a lot, an hour and a half of your time pre match

Robbos Right Peg
OK……..

Could I respectfully request that the thread is limited to responding to requests for volunteers please?

I have no issue with those who are either against the idea of keeping the Memorial in Haymarket, or those who quite frankly just don’t see it as an important issue.

It is, however, extremely important to very many people, Hearts and non Hearts supporters alike, and it is those people who will be key to the eventual location of the memorial.

If you want to discuss the merits of the location of the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial, could you please start a fresh thread?

Could we please have some volunteers to help distribute leaflets? As bighusref says, We are not asking for a lot, an hour and a half of your time pre match

Sorry John I accept the rap on the knuckles :( But at least my post kept your request at the top of the page. What about my shameless post about Hearts Greatest Ever Season no-one cares......................... unless

Sorry John I accept the rap on the knuckles :( But at least my post kept your request at the top of the page. What about my shameless post about Hearts Greatest Ever Season no-one cares......................... unless

I'll buy a copy if you come and help us on Saturday? :cheese:

Robbos Right Peg
Don't tell him, but I would have bought one anyway. ;)

Hey were you not at the thing in Leith ? I thought you had bought the expensive hard back edition :)

Hey were you not at the thing in Leith ? I thought you had bought the expensive hard back edition :)

I was indeed. Very enjoyable evening it was too. :)

But no, I haven't yet managed to buy one...shame on me! I'd actually prefer a hardback copy to be honest...are they still available now that the paperback version is out?

Robbos Right Peg
I was indeed. Very enjoyable evening it was too. :)

But no, I haven't yet managed to buy one...shame on me! I'd actually prefer a hardback copy to be honest...are they still available now that the paperback version is out?

Oh they are very hard to come by now

I think if I dig deep into the darkest parts of my garage there might be one last hard back copy there. But the legend that is 'China' wants one as well so the first one to turn up at Kenny Ritchies favourite bar (when he's not slammed up of course) on Saturday gets to contribute ?20 to the Former Players Assiciation in return for what only Ma Broons Cook Book kept off the number one spot in the best sellers list last year. :) What competition did BB have FFS

By the way I cannae believe the weegie bitch has released another edition this year What have I done to upset her ?

Robbos Right Peg
Come on guys. Back on topic eh!

:P

Jeez thats my second knuckle (8 left) rapped this afternoon but at least the thread is still at the top of the page ;)

I'm afraid I cant volunteer as I shall be 500 miles away (though I have signed the petition).

However, and I promise this is relevant to helping the campaign, could anyone who has contact with Jack Alexander mention to him that he has a PM from me about the campaign which might be of interest.

Sorry to be cryptic but needs must. Loose lips ...

:cool:

GC

PS BUMPPPPPP !!!

there is rules and regulations regarding war memorials, log onto the british legion site they will be able to help in any fight against the council should they try and move the memorial, it belongs at haymarket

Would love to help but I'm taking the good lady to Oban for the weekend, can't believe people can't see the importance of the monument to every Hearts fan

Good on you all those that are volunteering, hope the weathers improves before then

Never mind the bumps..... not that is in any unimportant to keep this at the top of the board but, and shame on me for such a long shift that I am just back in from work, would anyone of a sound and altrustic nature please send me a PM for details of how you can help publicise this most worthy of events this weekend.

Francis Albert
I am not and never have been in favour of the trams dont get me started on that but the memorial is what it is a memorial and if it is in Haymarket or Atholl Crescent does it really devalue its worth ?

In a word, yes.

jambo in iraq
We all know not to read too much into what the Hibsman has to say so good luck to you and keep the pressure up and you will succeed.

If I was not going to see the mighty Spartans in the Scottish cup on Saturday I would have helped. Perhaps next time.

Again good luck

fair enough, but the guy who wrote the article is a good mate of mine and I dont doubt its integrity. Would however question the honesty of edinburgh councilors who make promises!!

fair enough, but the guy who wrote the article is a good mate of mine and I dont doubt its integrity. Would however question the honesty of edinburgh councilors who make promises!!

I don't doubt the integrity of the writer either. And when it comes to the Council my worry isn't about honesty or good intentions. My concern is about the political and bureaucratic games that get played in situations like this. The word "nonsense" was used to describe the notion that the Council would even consider relocating the memorial. But the papers exist to show that the Council was considering exactly that. So the idea of moving the memorial to an inappropriate place isn't dead, and there may yet be some twists and turns in this story.

Just a quick reminder here that Soccer AM might like to hear about this and run a wee story about it, remember there is nothing bad about publicity

Another shameless bump.

There have been a few responses to this but we could really do with a few more. Go on, sacrifice your pre-match pintage just this once...

:)

too late to ~pm me unless it is in the next 10 minutes but bumped anyway this is Important

Archived