Best Player You Have Seen Live

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Ogi fae Gorgie

Only joking of course. Hearts player Roald Jensen was just fantastic but Puskas and Di Stephano for Real Madrid in the early 60's.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not seen many truly great players, however, did see Thierry Henry for Arsenal as well as Patrick Vieria who was awesome. As has been mentioned in scotland it would have to be Larsson and Laudraup. Obviously the whole Barca team pretty much.

I take it you've not been to many games then. :rolleyes:

With all due respect, the feat you mention is not difficult. Hull - hardly a world class team - managed it just last Saturday.

Sorry, if i'd realised it was a ****ing contest i'd have drank more water

Ruud Gullitt, Netherlands v Scotland. It was his last international (first 45 mins only).

Laudrup, Gascgoine and Larrson obviously.

Jankauskas on his day was a class act too.

john robertson :)

cristiano ronaldo, messi, deco, ronaldinho, rooney,scholes, henry

gazza, laudrup and larsson

Cappuccino Kid
Diego Maradona against Scotland at Hampden.

Would go with that. Scored his 1st international goal that day.

Maradona -- there is no arguement -- simply the best player in modern times.

Scotland v Argentina 1979 at Hampden -- roasting hot day, packed ground and a display of skill by a then 18 year old just breathtaking -- he was not the main attraction as they were the world cup holders but after the match everyone was talking about him.

tommythejambo

Ronaldinho or Messi.

Wished I'd seen Bergkamp in his Arsenal prime though, true legend.

Torres

Different level to anybody else i've seen in the flesh. Watched him off the ball as well his movement was so good.

When did folk see Zidane.

Champions League Final in 2002.

peckhamjambo

Patrick Veira, when at Arsenal, never seen one player control and dictate the pace of a game for the entire 90 minutes, different class.

Gazza - no intro needed

Colonel Kurtz

The best individual performance from a Hearts player I have seen was Neil Mccann in the LC final at Parkheid.

The best individial performance I have seen at Tynecastle was Andy Penman for Dundee when they beat us 7 1,closely folowed by Jim cruickshank against the Hibs in a 0-0 draw.

The best player I have sen is Craig Levein for one season prior to injury,he was world class,played two games for Scotland at Ibrox and was superb.

Then Hearts took on Sweden in Genoa in the WC

Seen a few metntioned on the thread already but I will go for Paul Scholes. Seen him a few times. One was against Newcastle at St James' when Man Utd won 6-2.

I'm sure he scored a hat-trick. He was absolutely class.

Maradonna - that was the first Scotland game I was taken too, I was pretty young but as i regard him as the best player of my lifetime I've got to say him. InScotland Larson and Laudrup obviously stick out. Also Gazza when he played at Tynecastle for Spurs - he had the world at his feet back then. One player who stands out as an oppenent for Scotland was Alan Shearer at Euro 96

Seen a few metntioned on the thread already but I will go for Paul Scholes. Seen him a few times. One was against Newcastle at St James' when Man Utd won 6-2.

I can't decide between him or Ryan Giggs. It's one of them though.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Ronaldinho and Messi (he is going to be an all time great). Also seen Paul Scholes play who I regard as the best british player in the last 10 years.

Gutted never to have seen two of greatest of their generation strutt their stuff (Ronaldo and Zidane) :(

Saw Paul Scholes score 2 against Scotland at Hampden.

Was absolutely gutted after that game, one of the saddest i've ever felt after a football match.

Jam Tarts 1874

Lots of people have already mentioned Gazza, Laudrup and Larson.

I remember a very classy Kevin Keegan playing in Alex MacDonald's testimonial, he was just pinging quality passes all over the pitch like no-one else I have ever seen.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Saw Paul Scholes score 2 against Scotland at Hampden.

Was absolutely gutted after that game, one of the saddest i've ever felt after a football match.

I hear ya.

However, that moment when Seaman pulled off a wonder save at Wembley broke my Heart.

A bit of me died that night. :sad:

EDIT: This is the video. Nearly started greeting when I watched it.

My only Scotland v England match I saw Dennis Law and wee Jinky sticking out despite getting gubbed 4 - 3 that day, but just for something different to what's been posted, anyone else at St James' Park to watch big super Mac thump in a hat trick against us in a Texaco Cup tie?

Willie Hamilton - Didn't like training / Liked the drink / Liked the ladies.

But on the pitch was an absolute master. Jock Stein rated him the best he'd ever managed when Willie was at Easter Road. He used to take on opposition on his own and score. I was 12/13 years at the time - 1962/1963 - Will never forget him.

Colonel Kurtz
My only Scotland v England match I saw Dennis Law and wee Jinky sticking out despite getting gubbed 4 - 3 that day, but just for something different to what's been posted, anyone else at St James' Park to watch big super Mac thump in a hat trick against us in a Texaco Cup tie?

I was there behind the goals ..think it was called Gallowgate end,there was a lot of fighting.

Did macdonald score three ,I thought we only lost 2 but drink was involved.

loveofthegame

Paul Scholes in the 2-0 win for England at Hampden. The guy was/is unreal. Great to see him at his peak.

Saw Stanley Mathews in a friendly a few decades back. Not at his best of course - he must have been in his 40's - but by all accounts the best English talent in a generation.

Willie Hamilton for me. Saw him beat at least 5 players (against Airdrie I think) before scoring at the Gorgie Road end if my memory is correct. Unfortunately he was the forerunner of the likes of Best, Merson and Gazza in that his off-field activities hampered his on-field ones.

I was there behind the goals ..think it was called Gallowgate end,there was a lot of fighting.

Did macdonald score three ,I thought we only lost 2 but drink was involved.

Colonel, I've gotta hold my hands up, after checking out the London site for details, you're right. We were also in that end where the fighting broke out and now my memory's coming back. We baled out because it got rough and scary, plus we wanted to get a pint before they closed the pubs at ten that night down there, and I reckon it must have been 2 0 at the time.

Alan Anderson scored late I think after we'd gone, and we lost on pens, I missed all that!

28 Sept '72, can't believe it because I'm sure we had snow during the game....went down theold A1 in a beat up Austin A35 and the exhaust fell off half way....sheesh, memories.

TyphoonJambo

As several people have said before me, Diego Maradona taking Scotland apart was an awesome footballing specticle. Also was there to see Gazza's wonder goal at Wemlbey

As several people have said before me, Diego Maradona taking Scotland apart was an awesome footballing specticle. Also was there to see Gazza's wonder goal at Wemlbey

Gazza's goal, deffo, plus I've seen Johann Cruyff, Franz Beckenbauer (not sure aboot the spelling!) and if I'm honest, Davie Cooper

Diego Maradona against Scotland at Hampden.

Me too! When he was 16(I think). Played in a friendly against Scotland at Hampden, in 1979. You could tell he was something special during the warmup! Scorcher of a day, if I remember.

Lynn

Robbie Neilson...

Duh!

On a more serious note, probably Messi, Ronaldinho, Xavi, Thuram, Laudrup, Larsson, Gordon (he will be in that bracket in a few years)

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Ronaldinho, Deco etc all at Hearts - Barca.

Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen when I went down to Anfield a few years ago.

MIKEY STEWART:cool:

HIBS REJECT LMAO GIRUY, THATS YER BEST PLAYER TAE YEEZ ARE PISH, WAIT TILL WE GET YEEZ AT EASTER ROAD, EASY WIN AGAINST A TEAM FULL OF LITHUANIAN ****E;)

HIBS REJECT LMAO GIRUY, THATS YER BEST PLAYER TAE YEEZ ARE PISH, WAIT TILL WE GET YEEZ AT EASTER ROAD, EASY WIN AGAINST A TEAM FULL OF LITHUANIAN ****E;)

Time for your methadone

HMFCjamieHMFC

thats the best you could do

Yeez ken fine well yeez are a joke, so a dno why yeez just dinny protest or chuck yer season books at the dugout, why no eh:rolleyes:

Yeez ken fine well yeez are a joke, so a dno why yeez just dinny protest or chuck yer season books at the dugout, why no eh:rolleyes:

I don,t know why but i picture you as a scrawny,spotty, toothless halfwit...tell me where is the wee team sitting in the league table just now?

HMFCjamieHMFC

the only thing thats a joke is your intelligence

Archived