Strange childhood heroes

richiehmfc

Was talking at work about this, footballers for your team who were never actually any good but you liked

I remember as a 7 year old, being close to tears when Hearts sold Davie Kirkwood to Airdrie although my Dad said at the time not to worry as he was rubbish.

Any other strange or random favourite players?

Buffalo Bill

I had a Gregor Stevens badge bought from Top Sport.

I can't remember what it said but it was something about mauling the opposition.

I also had a badge that read "I'd rather watch Crossroads than Hibs".

I liked Gregor Stevens.

Buffalo Bill

Was talking at work about this, footballers for your team who were never actually any good but you liked

I remember as a 7 year old, being close to tears when Hearts sold Davie Kirkwood to Airdrie although my Dad said at the time not to worry as he was rubbish.

Any other strange or random favourite players?

Jeez Richie...

I'm close to tears you admitting that!;) Davie Kirkwood!! :rolleyes:

Re BB's comments about the Gilzean badges, I had a "Beware Big Rod" badge from Topsport. So I'll say Roddie McDonald - not the most spectacular or silkiest of players, but a good no-nonsense centre half.

This is an age thing.

Willie Gibson was mine.

Pleased to say that I managed to get hold of a match-worn shirt of the great man's which hangs proudly on my office door.

GC

I used to like George Cowie, mainly because he was from Buckie and I've a lot of family up that way. Not that he was humpty or anything, more just often overlooked because of the great team we had then.

Davie Kirkwood on the other hand..........Jeezo!!!

Jeez Richie...

I'm close to tears you admitting that!;) Davie Kirkwood!! :rolleyes:

Re BB's comments about the Gilzean badges, I had a "Beware Big Rod" badge from Topsport. So I'll say Roddie McDonald - not the most spectacular or silkiest of players, but a good no-nonsense centre half.

To be honest i cant even remember if he was any good or not but from your comment and also the comment from my dad at the time, i'm guessing he wasnt :)

Say What Again

I didn't really have a strange childhood Hearts hero as my favourite was always Sandy Jardine. My strange hero came later in my life when it became Willie Jamieson! :eek: I'd be about 20 at the time.

A strange non-Hearts hero I remember from my yoof was Kerry Dixon :mw_confused: especially as I've never really had an 'English team' and if I did, it would probably be Newcastle (because of mates)

5.jpg

I admired him as much as I hated Eric Gates :mad:

e6_300_395x300.jpg

I didn't really have a strange childhood Hearts hero as my favourite was always Sandy Jardine. My strange hero came later in my life when it became Willie Jamieson! :eek: I'd be about 20 at the time.

A strange non-Hearts hero I remember from my yoof was Kerry Dixon :mw_confused: especially as I've never really had an 'English team' and if I did, it would probably be Newcastle (because of mates)

5.jpg

I admired him as much as I hated Eric Gates :mad:

e6_300_395x300.jpg

Wullie Jamieson was another player of limited ability that i was liked, he was old school and had the perm to proove it!!!

Also scored a screamer at the school end when the stand was being built against Celtic for a 93rd minute equaliser...must have been around about 95/96. That silenced the rendition of you'll never walk alone from the great unwashed.

When I was at primary school my parents would n't let me travel into Edinburgh for Hearts games, instead I used to watch Linlithgow Rose. My Hearts heros were Donald Ford (bonus points for being from Linlithgow too) and Jim Cruickshank however my hero for the Rose was a young striker called Colin Sinclair. I thought he was great he was obviously was n't as his career peaked at either Raith or Darlington depending on your view of the respective merits of the Scottish Second and English Fourth Divisions.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

my hearts cult hero was jose quitongo or 'katongo' as i used to write it all over my bedroom wall...aw those were the days!

When I was at primary school my parents would n't let me travel into Edinburgh for Hearts games, instead I used to watch Linlithgow Rose. My Hearts heros were Donald Ford (bonus points for being from Linlithgow too) and Jim Cruickshank however my hero for the Rose was a young striker called Colin Sinclair. I thought he was great he was obviously was n't as his career peaked at either Raith or Darlington depending on your view of the respective merits of the Scottish Second and English Fourth Divisions.

Would that be the same Colin Sinclair who went on to 'own' the F&C, West Port and Bridge Inn?

I once watched him hammer in a screw in a futile attempt to affix a bottle opener behind a bar. Not the sharpest...

the mighty paul obrien,scoed two against our bogey team airdrie ny 1981,my first ny game must have been about 18000 at the game incredible for a 1st division game,still managed too lose 3-2:sad:

the mighty paul obrien,scoed two against our bogey team airdrie ny 1981,my first ny game must have been about 18000 at the game incredible for a 1st division game,still managed too lose 3-2:sad:

Yes , i remember that game - we were 2 - 0 up as I remember and threw it away. I think Sandy Clark scored for Airdrie.

Early Heros

Good players - Donald Ford and Jim Cruickshank

Reasonable - Donald Park and Drew Busby

Probably garbage - Ernie Winchester (because of his shot although I can't remember him scoring many)

Archived