Alan Maybury back at Hearts

heartsfc_fan

....naw not really ;)

He's been invited to use the training base at Riccarton, to keep his fitness up until he finds a new club (see Hearts site).

Why don't we offer him a contract till Jan? Put him in the team ahead of Wallace? Couldn't do a lot worse then that!

siegementality
....naw not really ;)

He's been invited to use the training base at Riccarton, to keep his fitness up until he finds a new club (see Hearts site).

Why don't we offer him a contract till Jan? Put him in the team ahead of Wallace? Couldn't do a lot worse then that!

Maybury is better than Wallace, fact.

....naw not really ;)

Yes he could

Wallace is not a bad player, he's just at the wrong club

I guarentee if Wallace went to a club like Dundee Utd, Hibs or even the OF he would quickly be a top SPL prospect again :(

Wallace has turned into a right bombscare!:sad: he cost us goals at Ibrox, Falkirk and almost another on Saturday!

Maybe Ruben should be tryed at left back.. If it works for Jonsson...:)

Maybury is better than Wallace, fact.

Exactly.

Maybury can actually tackle aswell. And I seem to remember, has quite a shot on him. A last min 25 yard goal against Partick or someone a while back?2002 maybe?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Maybury's strongest position is right back and not Wallace's left sided position

If we could only play our players in their natural strongest position it would be a step in the right direction

Wallace is the best LEFT back we have at the club right now

Maybe Maybury is the best right back at Riccarton this week however we will not sign him as we are skint and anyway we have our youth players to promote

ToadKiller Dog

As long as he shows his fitness get him signed on a short term deal ,makes so much sense ,clear as day we are needing an experienced older head in the back four.

Maybury's strongest position is right back and not Wallace's left sided position

If we could only play our players in their natural strongest position it would be a step in the right direction

Wallace is the best LEFT back we have at the club right now

Maybe Maybury is the best right back at Riccarton this week however we will not sign him as we are skint and anyway we have our youth players to promote

Don't know if you recall, Maybury actually played LEFT BACK for Hearts on a few occasions (covering for Mahe IIRC?) And I think Neilson went into the right back position.

He is decent in either position.

Csaba's Broon Shoes
Don't know if you recall, Maybury actually played LEFT BACK for Hearts on a few occasions (covering for Mahe IIRC?) And I think Neilson went into the right back position.

He is decent in either position.

I recall Maybury playing left back 75% of his games for Hearts and certainly was'nt better than Mahe nor much better than Neilson

Maybs has had his time in a Hearts jersey best left alone

Anyway why hasn't he cemented a club place for the last 2 seasons ? mmm

I recall Maybury playing left back 75% of his games for Hearts and certainly was'nt better than Mahe nor much better than Neilson

Maybs has had his time in a Hearts jersey best left alone

Anyway why hasn't he cemented a club place for the last 2 seasons ? mmm

Probably asking stupid wages thats why!

Anyway....he's better than Wallace ;):)

While not the greatest I would play him at RB and LB before anyone else at the club at the moment.

I did not think I would ever agree with that statement. How far we have fallen eh?

Csaba's Broon Shoes
Probably asking stupid wages thats why!

Anyway....he's better than Wallace ;):)

Nah , probably just a run of the mill average Joe Bloggs full-back of which we already have 4 or 5 at the club already

Wallace is our left back like it or not and is on the way up still learning his trade while Maybury is on the way down who cannae get a game for anybody now Fact

The People's Chimp
Nah , probably just a run of the mill average Joe Bloggs full-back of which we already have 4 or 5 at the club already

Wallace is our left back like it or not and is on the way up still learning his trade while Maybury is on the way down who cannae get a game for anybody now Fact

aberdeen wanted to keep him FACT( see anybody can do it, it doesn't make it correct, although in this case it is...)

Anyway the point is that our defence is crying out for an older experienced head; we have young talented prospects, but they need experience in amongst them. accordingly maybury would do us a job.

I did not think I would ever agree with that statement. How far we have fallen eh?

I didn't think I would have written it either. Remarkable that a decent to average player who left the club so long ago is still better than anything we currently have.

All in my opinion of course.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy
Wallace has turned into a right bombscare!:sad: he cost us goals at Ibrox, Falkirk and almost another on Saturday!

Maybe Ruben should be tryed at left back.. If it works for Jonsson...:)

exactly what ive been wantin for last few weeks, he has the skill and attitude to play anywhere

Exactly.

Maybury can actually tackle aswell. And I seem to remember, has quite a shot on him. A last min 25 yard goal against Partick or someone a while back?2002 maybe?

He is comfortable in either wing back position.

aberdeen wanted to keep him FACT( see anybody can do it, it doesn't make it correct, although in this case it is...)

Anyway the point is that our defence is crying out for an older experienced head; we have young talented prospects, but they need experience in amongst them. accordingly maybury would do us a job.

Aberdeen offered him a contract but he has a house in Edinburgh and did not want to travel or move again after Leicester plus I heard he did not rate Calderwood too much either.

He has had other offers the latest I believe is from Crystal Palace but he would like to stay in Edinburgh so it does not take a lot to figure out where he would like to play his fooball.

I am sure he would be a useful foe for Wallace & Jonnson to learn from

He is comfortable in either wing back position.

That word was the key problem for Maybury when he was here IMO.

I felt that he got the ball and tried to be a winger (which he wasn't) too often. I felt that we regularly looked exposed at right back because his ambition had him too far up field. At left back, I felt that he was a little less confident/ambitious about his offensive ability and stayed back a little and performed as a full back a lot better.

For that reason alone, I preferred him at left back. I always want my defenders to defend first, anything else on top of that is a bonus.

Having said all of that, I still think he was far from the quality that we should be looking for and always felt he was a weak link. Much like I have stated on this thread already, I am really surprised that we have fallen so far that I would say that he is a better option than either of our full backs.

Laszlo's ignorance of the full back positions (or, did VR simply not deliver the full backs Laszlo wanted?) is criminal.

I felt that he got the ball and tried to be a winger (which he wasn't) too often. I felt that we regularly looked exposed at right back because his ambition had him too far up field. At left back, I felt that he was a little less confident/ambitious about his offensive ability and stayed back a little and performed as a full back a lot better.

For that reason alone, I preferred him at left back. I always want my defenders to defend first, anything else on top of that is a bonus.

Having said all of that, I still think he was far from the quality that we should be looking for and always felt he was a weak link. Much like I have stated on this thread already, I am really surprised that we have fallen so far that I would say that he is a better option than either of our full backs.

Laszlo's ignorance of the full back positions (or, did VR simply not deliver the full backs Laszlo wanted?) is criminal.

Maybe so - but is he better than the present incumbents in either fullback position just now. As far a left back is concerned I would have to say a resounding yes.

I agree with most of what you say but you omitted to add that he ran the ball out of the park on numerous occasions unnecessarily.

I'm not so sure of your last paragraph as Laszlo didn't have much time and maybe had to prioritise. That said the signings he did make, Kello excepted, have spent most of their time injured.

I agree with most of what you say but you omitted to add that he ran the ball out of the park on numerous occasions unnecessarily.

I'm not so sure of your last paragraph as Laszlo didn't have much time and maybe had to prioritise. That said the signings he did make, Kello excepted, have spent most of their time injured.

First part spot on! Yes, Maybury was bad for that.

As for the last part, you are forgetting that Laszlo said that he only needed 30 minutes (or some equally small time) to judge a player! ;)

He had time to work out that we only had Banks (goalkeeper coach and first choice) and Basso who ended up falling foul of strict disciplinarian rules and would need a 'keeper.

Surely he could have noticed that we did not have a left back in the squad, or if you believe that Wallace is a left back, we only have one. That is one more than we had goalkeepers yet he saw that problem. As for right back, Neilsons long term injury left us with only the untried Jason Thomson for right back.

He MUST have recognised this issue pre season as he had games where he changed ten players but did not change Wallace as there was no replacement for him. Obua had been mooted as a possible left back, that appears to be inaccurate.

As I say, given that he identified other issues (that were less pressing than the full back issues) his oversight is a huge error which we are paying for now.

The People's Chimp
Aberdeen offered him a contract but he has a house in Edinburgh and did not want to travel or move again after Leicester plus I heard he did not rate Calderwood too much either.

He has had other offers the latest I believe is from Crystal Palace but he would like to stay in Edinburgh so it does not take a lot to figure out where he would like to play his fooball.

I am sure he would be a useful foe for Wallace & Jonnson to learn from

Aye, that was the point; the claims that he cannot get a game anywhere are massively wide of the mark; okay there may be wage/home life issues, but there are certainly teams who want him to sign and play for them.

I really think he would provide some much needed experience right now.

SIGN HIM HEARTS YOU BUNCH OF TOSSERS!

Even at such an early stage you can say that is post of the day.

Guest juvehearts

If anything he is cover as we dont have any cover for full backs.

he can play on either wing & has experiance at SPL leval.

we need experianced SPL players to get back into the top 6 again, then chal;lenge for europe!

its a no brainer, get him signed till january.

Colonel Kurtz
If anything he is cover as we dont have any cover for full backs.

he can play on either wing & has experiance at SPL leval.

we need experianced SPL players to get back into the top 6 again, then chal;lenge for europe!

its a no brainer, get him signed till january.

We didnt have the money to sign him last January

Guest juvehearts
We didnt have the money to sign him last January

What?!

so youre telling me that heart of midlothian FC,

who is funded by Ukio Bankas group.

Has one of the richest men in Scotland as majority shareholder.

Can't afoard to pay Maybury a wage till january, but CAN afoard to pay 15k a week to Kingston who IMO is a lazy Barsteward.

and you wonder why people dont go to tyne anymore whilst this goon is still at the club?!

Buffalo Bill
SIGN HIM HEARTS YOU BUNCH OF TOSSERS!

haha brilliant.

....and I agree.

Buffalo Bill

Hopefully once Lazlo sees what he is all about we will get him signed up. He is clubless and I am pretty sure he won't be demanding a king's ransom to play - the guy clearly loves the club and the city. He is exactly what we need - a decent full back and a big personality which we are short of. I'm sure if he was plying behind Kingston, he'd give him a rocket when he falls out of position so might even help his game.

Better than any full back at the club, no question of that.

Cairneyhill Jambo

I see Stephen Carr, ex Newcastle still hasn't found a club. Still only 32.

Imagine if we signed him for the hibs game. Him and Riordon.

Would be like a Jack Russell terrier with a toothless rat.

C'mon Vlad. Get them signed.

Archived