The Last Galacticos of Scotland (Non Hearts Related)

Deodato

Kickback,

First up - big thanks to Mr Buffalo Bill for the recommendation that, when in Madrid, be sure to take up the tour of the Santiago Bernab?u stadium. Did just that. One of the best sporting tours/museums I've ever see - the display of European Cups really makes you stop and think about the wider meaning of football. Lumpinthroatmoment.

As it goes, we went one better, and went to the game the next day. And, we saw a eight goal thriller! Well not exactly, in that they thrashed Sporting de Gij?n seven goals to one. There is a Galacticos who came of the bench by the name of Drenthe - WATCH HIM RISE. This guy is something truly special.

Whilst the majority of the Madristas first team is now Dutch, interesting fact, there is another Galacticos which Kickback may or may not be interested in. He's our only Scot to have played for Real Madrid and his story is classic. Pasted below is a short bio with a photo's to prove the point.

"...John Fox Watson is the full name of Jack Watson who was born in Hamilton on Hogmanay in 1917. He started out with local teams Waterthistle and Douglas Juniors then turned pro with Bury where he played a few games before World War Two.

Post-war he joined Fulham then signed for Real Madrid in 1948-49 when they were coached by former Southampton and Fulham player Mike Keeping.

By the start of 1949-50 he was back in the UK with Crystal Palace where he spent two seasons before dropping down to non-league level with Canterbury City.

He died in 1976. I can?t find any record of him playing for the Accies and can?t say for sure that he was the only Scot to play for Real though there certainly can?t have been many...."

...so there you have it. When I discovered this, it made me think back to Stuart Cosgroves excellent Hampden Babylon book. Not that there's any sex nor scandal to Hamilton's remarkable story, just that Scots-in-Football, and more generally, never take the conventional or predictable route. I really like that, about us.

My first attempt of attaching a picture to Kickback below - so you can see how Hamilton is celebrated amongst the other global array of Galacticos of this quite incredible club/institution. Hope this cheers you guys up back in Edinburgh, if its any conciliation - Arsenal got gubbed yesterday too, at home.

Deodato

23. Watson_thumb.jpg

Where were you sitting for the game?

What did you think of Ma-dreed in general?

I thought it was a great city; La Latina was awesome.

We sat in the very top row for our game. I'll never forget. Go see Real Madrid, folks. You won't regret a minute of it.

Buffalo Bill

Where were you sitting for the game?

What did you think of Ma-dreed in general?

I thought it was a great city; La Latina was awesome.

We sat in the very top row for our game. I'll never forget. Go see Real Madrid, folks. You won't regret a minute of it.

Buffalo Bill

My mate, who I sit beside at Tynie, went while over there on business. He said it was great but was amazed that the seats he sat in had big heaters above them. They must really feel the cold in Spain. :eek:

Been to Barca's ground but not to a game. Would love to visit Madrid before flights move out of the range of your average joe. :rolleyes:

Kickback,

First up - big thanks to Mr Buffalo Bill for the recommendation that, when in Madrid, be sure to take up the tour of the Santiago Bernab?u stadium. Did just that. One of the best sporting tours/museums I've ever see - the display of European Cups really makes you stop and think about the wider meaning of football. Lumpinthroatmoment.

As it goes, we went one better, and went to the game the next day. And, we saw a eight goal thriller! Well not exactly, in that they thrashed Sporting de Gij?n seven goals to one. There is a Galacticos who came of the bench by the name of Drenthe - WATCH HIM RISE. This guy is something truly special.

Whilst the majority of the Madristas first team is now Dutch, interesting fact, there is another Galacticos which Kickback may or may not be interested in. He's our only Scot to have played for Real Madrid and his story is classic. Pasted below is a short bio with a photo's to prove the point.

"...John Fox Watson is the full name of Jack Watson who was born in Hamilton on Hogmanay in 1917. He started out with local teams Waterthistle and Douglas Juniors then turned pro with Bury where he played a few games before World War Two.

Post-war he joined Fulham then signed for Real Madrid in 1948-49 when they were coached by former Southampton and Fulham player Mike Keeping.

By the start of 1949-50 he was back in the UK with Crystal Palace where he spent two seasons before dropping down to non-league level with Canterbury City.

He died in 1976. I can?t find any record of him playing for the Accies and can?t say for sure that he was the only Scot to play for Real though there certainly can?t have been many...."

...so there you have it. When I discovered this, it made me think back to Stuart Cosgroves excellent Hampden Babylon book. Not that there's any sex nor scandal to Hamilton's remarkable story, just that Scots-in-Football, and more generally, never take the conventional or predictable route. I really like that, about us.

My first attempt of attaching a picture to Kickback below - so you can see how Hamilton is celebrated amongst the other global array of Galacticos of this quite incredible club/institution. Hope this cheers you guys up back in Edinburgh, if its any conciliation - Arsenal got gubbed yesterday too, at home.

Deodato

Interesting post by the way - makes a change from our normal ones. I can't think of any other Scot who has played for Real. Have you tried contacting Accies, or their fans forum, at all?

Steve Archibald performed the equally impressive feat of playing for Barca.

Of course later signing for the hobos kind of takes the sheen off that. At least George Best had the excuse of being ****ed at the time.

Barcelona have more capacity but Madrid's stadium is a better spectacle, in my opinion. I was lucky enough to see Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Beckham and the greatest of all - Zidane.

I also see that Deodato has attached a thumbnail of the guy from Brideshead Revisited.

Buffalo Bill

Barcelona have more capacity but Madrid's stadium is a better spectacle, in my opinion. I was lucky enough to see Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Beckham and the greatest of all - Zidane.

I also see that Deodato has attached a thumbnail of the guy from Brideshead Revisited.

Buffalo Bill

bfoxbridge.jpg

My mate, who I sit beside at Tynie, went while over there on business. He said it was great but was amazed that the seats he sat in had big heaters above them. They must really feel the cold in Spain. :eek:

Been to Barca's ground but not to a game. Would love to visit Madrid before flights move out of the range of your average joe. :rolleyes:

I think the 'heaters' he is referring to might be air conditioning!!

I was in Madrid a few weeks ago and visited the Bernabeu for a tour the day after taking in Atletico v Schalke CLQ 2nd leg, and I certainly could have done with air conditioning above my seat - weather really humid along with 60000 crammed in.

For what its worth the atmosphere was amazing and Atletico looked very good and could cause Liverpool problems in the CL

Real are the Spanish equivalent of Rangers.

I hope they get pumped in every game they play in.

I've seen them twice in my life, once in Tenerife and once in the Rajamangala Stadium in Bangkok. They won both games unfortunately.

Jambo_in_Madrid

I was in Madrid a few weeks ago and visited the Bernabeu for a tour the day after taking in Atletico v Schalke CLQ 2nd leg, and I certainly could have done with air conditioning above my seat - weather really humid along with 60000 crammed in.

For what its worth the atmosphere was amazing and Atletico looked very good and could cause Liverpool problems in the CL

They are heaters :)

Believe it or not, but Madrid really does get quite nippy during the winter. It can often be as cold as back home, although without the driving rain. Many of the sections have heaters in the roof, and you really can feel the heat from them on a miserable Wednesday night !!!!

Jambo_in_Madrid

Buffalo Bill

The great thing about the Bernabeu is that it's right in the heart of the city, on one of the most famous boulevards in Spain (Castellana). It's surrounded by bars and terrific restaurants, and you can easily go on a 30 bar pub crawl and never be more then about 300 yards from the ground. There is a great wee bar called Brios right in front of South stand that has a small terraza outside where you can stand in the sun drinking massive plastic tumblers (Mini's - nearly 2 pints) of beer and just gaze up at the stadium and the street theatre as the atmosphere builds up. Always jam packed on match day with foreigners and locals alike. Nou Camp is an amazing stadium, but it's located on the edge of the city and there is nothing in the local vicinity.

Incidentally, the wife has had a season ticket since 1986 with Madrid, but also was a Hearts season ticket holder from 1994 till 2001. Luck girl eh, simultaneously having season tickets with both Madrid and the famous HMFC !!!!! :bravo:

used to work a bit in Madrid and been to the SB on Champions League match nights. Used to go to the Irish Rover - is it still there?

BTW - Real Madrid are very much regarded as the arrogant, privileged aristocrats of Spanish football - but to compare them with Rangers is a complete injustice.....for one, they have some credibility supporting their arrogance!

Always watch Madrid`s games on Sky when they play in the league or the CL. Always prefer to watch them over Barca.

Madrid remind me of Man U that they are exciting to watch and have more variation while Barca are like Arsenal and always try to walk the ball in.

I took to Madrid in the early Noughties when i got Sky Sports in and Carlos, Zidane, Figo and Ronaldo where in full flow, what a team.

A Saturday used to consist of, pub , Hearts game, pub, home and order chinese and settle down to watch the Spanish game on a Sat night which usually featured Madrid.

Lavly jabbleee.

There is a great wee bar called Brios right in front of South stand that has a small terraza outside where you can stand in the sun drinking massive plastic tumblers (Mini's - nearly 2 pints) of beer and just gaze up at the stadium and the street theatre as the atmosphere builds up. :

I do believe I found that very bar - there's a window facing the busy street where you can get your XXXXL plastic glass of strong lager. It works too - the fact they give you so much lager in one container, means you dont need to go back to get served - which means the queues are so much shorter, everyone gets served, everyone gets steaming - sorted. I think we should campaign for this in the diggers. Great food on that street too.

Deodato

good thread and very timely.

i arrive in madrid this coming saturday and am there for 4 days. very much hope to see the espanyol game if i can get hold of tickets for me and the wife. have been told best idea is to get up to the ground on day of the game and see whats going, is that my best angle, any advice much appreciate lads????

hints and tips on any other must see's most welcome

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Drenthe was also wanted by Chelsea. They put in a 5 million bid for him I think but he chose Real Madrid as Chelsea wanted to loan him back to Feyenoord for a year.

He has been a Dutch U-21 international for a couple of years now and was player of the tournament in the European Under-21 Championship last year.

I've thought he would be a good player since I seen him last year. Definitely one to watch out for.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Aguerro looks a special player. Apparantly Chelsea are looking at buying him for around ?40 million.

The great thing about the Bernabeu is that it's right in the heart of the city, on one of the most famous boulevards in Spain (Castellana).

I can't remember the name, but we were in a large bar (with a restaurant attached) on the Castellana. I remember watching a game on Sky ('Boro v someone), and yet it was empty all the way up to kick-off. I was really surprised by that, as we were only 200 yards from the stadium. There was also more tourists then away fans. I think I saw just two DLC fans.

I would love to go it again. When you see inside the ESB for the first time, your breath is taken away. Beautiful, beautiful place.

Top Tip: Don't buy tickets on line. You'll pay about ?80. Just buy them at the stadium kiosk when you do the tour.

Buffalo Bill

good thread and very timely.

i arrive in madrid this coming saturday and am there for 4 days. very much hope to see the espanyol game if i can get hold of tickets for me and the wife. have been told best idea is to get up to the ground on day of the game and see whats going, is that my best angle, any advice much appreciate lads????

hints and tips on any other must see's most welcome

If you're going to the Plaza del Toros then it's worth paying a few euros extra for the tickets in the shade.

Say What Again
Kickback,

First up - big thanks to Mr Buffalo Bill for the recommendation that, when in Madrid, be sure to take up the tour of the Santiago Bernab?u stadium.

Good thread and especially interesting to read of Jack Watson, but did you really need a recommendation to tour the Bernabeu? :P It must be one of the cities major tourist attractions and as a football fan, was surely a must during your trip.

Archived