There's only one Ronaldo...............

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Gavsy Van Gaverson

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=887732.html

Former AC Milan and Real Madrid striker Ronaldo, one of Brazil's most decorated footballers, was back in full training today, seven months on from a knee injury which led him to leave Italy.

O Fen?meno is currently without a club, but has been working on his fitness with Flamengo in his homeland.

The three-time FIFA World Player of the Year, who celebrated his 32nd birthday yesterday, said he would would fancy a stint with French side Paris Saint-Germain last week.

Ronaldo participated in training with the Flamengo youth team today, having indulged in some light training sessions this past Friday.

"All this time I've been doing physiotherapy and getting back to training with the ball is very important, another stimulus. It's marvellous," Ronaldo told reporters.

Leo, a youth team midfielder for Brazil's most popular club, added: "We know we couldn't touch him as Ronaldo is just coming back and nobody wants to prejudice the return of an idol."

Ronaldo, who has suffered a series of injuries in his career but famously returned to inspire Brazil to gold at the 2002 FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan?, seriously injured his left knee playing for Milan against Livorno last season.

Media reports have linked him with Manchester City, where compatriot Robinho is playing, but the English Premier League side have denied any approach.

-------------------------------------

Hopefully the big man can get back to full fitness and finish his career as he started it - scoring goals.

:)

I've seen him play and score for Real Madrid.

The one thing I couldn't help but notice was the complete lack of miles he ran throughout the game. I think the average for a player is about 6 miles per match. He did about 0.5, but still looked the most likely to score.

As long as he can manage a jog, I reckon he could do a stint for someone.

Buffalo Bill

The one thing I couldn't help but notice was the complete lack of miles he ran throughout the game. I think the average for a player is about 6 miles per match. He did about 0.5, but still looked the most likely to score.

Buffalo Bill

If he did that whilst in a Hearts strip, many fans would give him dogs abuse for being too lazy.

Could definetly do a stint for someone. Scored goals for fun more or less wherever he went.

Best natural finisher of a generation. Real shame about all the injuries he picked up...he would probably have been the greatest striker of all time had he kept injury free in his career!

Still, at 32 he could certainly do a job in a top league for another few years. I'd have him, but I just couldn't see him getting past Mole in the team... ;)

Gavsy Van Gaverson
He is absolutely class at the toe poke.

Romario was the master of the toe poke. Ronaldo is the master of the step over :)

The man is world class. One of the best strikers of my generation.

You just have to look at his scoring record. It is phenomenal.

The most explosive, most skillful, most awe inspiring (and ugliest) striker I have ever seen.

He was my idol when I was a spotty teenager...I have an old Inter shirt with his name on it kicking about somehwere.

Romario was the master of the toe poke. Ronaldo is the master of the step over :)

1998 UEFA cup final.

That goal was amazing. About 4 step overs and Marchegiani (a very good keeper in his day) is made to look like a Sunday league amateur. Well good.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
1998 UEFA cup final.

That goal was amazing. About 4 step overs and Marchegiani (a very good keeper in his day) is made to look like a Sunday league amateur. Well good.

Aye, that was absolute quality. He could still do it years on (see his goal against Ghana to become top World Cup goalscorer of all time) but the quickness had maybe gone a bit after the knee surgeries.

Any player that can list Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan and Inter Milan as teams he has played for has to go down as an all time great.

Buffalo Bill

I think that's what sets him apart and made him, imo, the best striker of his generation. Give him the ball and he will score.

His comeback in the 2002 World Cup said it all for me. 2 years out and comes back to take the Golden Boot without so much as breaking a sweat.

Frankenstein Jambo.
I think that's what sets him apart and made him, imo, the best striker of his generation. Give him the ball and he will score.

His comeback in the 2002 World Cup said it all for me. 2 years out and comes back to take the Golden Boot without so much as breaking a sweat.

It was actually a shock that brazil took him because not only was he overweight he was still carrying a niggling injury which make it all the more amazing that he claimed the golden boot..

Gavsy Van Gaverson
It was actually a shock that brazil took him because not only was he overweight he was still carrying a niggling injury which make it all the more amazing that he claimed the golden boot..

Even more amazing was the fact that Brazil took him to the 2006 World Cup. He was injured again and even more overweight.

1998 UEFA cup final.

Say What Again
I'd have him, but I just couldn't see him getting past Mole in the team... ;)

The saddest part is that's probably true! :eek:

Frankenstein Jambo.
Even more amazing was the fact that Brazil took him to the 2006 World Cup. He was injured again and even more overweight.

Just make you wonder what a fully fit Ronaldo could do for a team like Hearts :) Here's dreaming.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
His hatrick V Man Utd at Old Trafford was magic, an absolute legend, one of the best strikers ever in my eyes.

One of the best hat-tricks ever. That match was a classic.

Aye very witty:p

Waal, shucks...ah try mah best.

and f'nose...we've needed some lightening up around these here parts today.

this_is_my_story

Very weird, was just about to post exactly the same comment - with 'the' in italics! :eek:

Would probably agree about Ronaldo as well, a truly awesome talent. Mind the boy Denilson with the stepovers though, did he not do about 19 in one go for Betis or something?! Show us yer lollipops!

Frankenstein Jambo.

What is it with brazil players that make such wonderfully, gifted footballers? They always have the most skill and class.

Say What Again
What is it with brazil players that make such wonderfully, gifted footballers? They always have the most skill and class.

Clearly it's because Hibs taught them how to play the game.

Archived