SPL referee Mike McCurry filmed singing Rangers anthem

suds66

Do you know where hell is
Will be interesting to here what the SFA have to say about this?

Where about does it say this? I really want to read about this.

ToadKiller Dog

A very odd fellow that mcurry ,if the film is true and recent ie after he became a ref then the sfa should take back is whistle from him full stop.

but the sfa dont understand what should do and the right thing to do is about.

Everytime I hear that song now, dont think of Tina Turner or Rangers- think of David Brent giving the best motovation speach ever.

Guest juvehearts

another non story from the daily ranger.

Wow he sang a tina turner classic in church.

it had NO revelance to RFC in that contect.

poor news day yesterday I think because their beloved's wernt playing till today.

always a jambo

Seems a little strange to me how this "story" is only coming to light now when it happened in March and the fact that now McCurry is ref in the Celtic game!!!!

Are Celtic already making excuses in case they get beat?

The whole situation between the OF is now bordering on the ridiculous!!!!!:mad::mad:

ToadKiller Dog

the relevance is that is the day after rangers beat celtic which is a poor choice for someone who in his role as a ref has to be seen as impartial both inside and outside the game ,he clearly knows the old firm history and what signals this stupidity would send out even if he could argue that its about his great god.

to be honest the film to me confirms my view that he is off his trolly.

ToadKiller Dog
Seems a little strange to me how this "story" is only coming to light now when it happened in March and the fact that now McCurry is ref in the Celtic game!!!!

Are Celtic already making excuses in case they get beat?

The whole situation between the OF is now bordering on the ridiculous!!!!!:mad::mad:

I can agree with you on the timing of this story ,i expect the paper has sat on it for such an occasion ,think its more to do with in fighting in his church over his earlier abuse of his position in that church of how it came about as i doubt there are many smelltic fans in his church.

He is another mentalist is the feckwitt world of west coast football .

Everytime I hear that song now, dont think of Tina Turner or Rangers- think of David Brent giving the best motovation speach ever.

LOL.

Classic. Loved the bit where the cleaning lady walks through the door mid speech. Brilliant.

Minister and his congregation sing a song praising God !!!! :eek::eek:

Must be a conspiracy, only in Glasgow.....

Still pretty stupid on McCurrys part imo.

We Can But Worry

Everyone knows McCurry is a Rangers fanatic. The sfa certainly do and so do I. He should never be allowed to referee a game involving the old firm, especially after his obvious bias. Gordon Smith always used the 'man of the cloth' argument in the past to try and defend his inadequacies. Well that was surely kicked into touch with the promoting of his adulteress lifestyle.

I think McCurry did this deliberately because it's an argument he wants out in the open.

Any other church minister anywhere else in the world would be applauded for doing that sort of thing. It's what churches need to to in order to try and galvanise a younger audience, in order to halt the decline of religion (ever since the advent of common sense, logic and reason IMO, but that's another argument).

He's making the point that only in Glasgow could this sort of thing be taken in the wrong way.

I think he did it to force other religious figureheads to come out and defend him. Church leaders now have no option but to come out and make the point that the world does not revolve around the Old Firm, if a minister wants to use a universally happy song in a church service in order to worship a God, then they have every right to do so without their intentions being falsely portrayed to such an extend that it will significantly increase their chances of being assaulted.

Which I think was the point he was trying to make in the first place - albeit in a bit of a stupid way. He's playing the martyr.

I think McCurry did this deliberately because it's an argument he wants out in the open.

Any other church minister anywhere else in the world would be applauded for doing that sort of thing. It's what churches need to to in order to try and galvanise a younger audience, in order to halt the decline of religion (ever since the advent of common sense, logic and reason IMO, but that's another argument).

He's making the point that only in Glasgow could this sort of thing be taken in the wrong way.

I think he did it to force other religious figureheads to come out and defend him. Church leaders now have no option but to come out and make the point that the world does not revolve around the Old Firm, if a minister wants to use a universally happy song in a church service in order to worship a God, then they have every right to do so without their intentions being falsely portrayed to such an extend that it will significantly increase their chances of being assaulted.

Which I think was the point he was trying to make in the first place - albeit in a bit of a stupid way. He's playing the martyr.

It's a non-story, the words are changed and it's taken well out of context. Regarding the timing of it, someone is clearly out to get Mike McCurry. Could be disgruntled members of his congregation after his affair, or the Sunday Mail are trying to sell papers.

I don't think there is any obligation for religious leaders to back him - McCurry seems quite happy to pick up his pay packet for refereeing on Sundays and I'm sure most church folk would find this puzzling for a man of the cloth.

It's what churches need to to in order to try and galvanise a younger audience

Singing Tina Turner songs is going to galvanise a younger audience? Not unless they're young looking 50 year olds it's not.

I thought he had killed someone or something with him being on the front page.

But no he sang a Tina Turner song, mischief making by the Sunday Mail to sell papers in the west as a large numbers of the inbred arseholes through there seem to think Tina Turner now plays for Rangers.

Can't wait for the next headline 'Irish PM sings fields of Athenry'

McCurry has no integrity, he's not an accredited Baptist Pastor. Any decent man would have resigned when the story of his adultery broke.

This is just further stupidity, although the gutter press are being a bit naughty.

Also, this is definitely NOT how reformed, 'modern' churches stay relevant in the 21st century.

The whole thing is cheap, tacky and embarrassing.

Does this sort of item not sum up the preoccupation west coast media have for promoting sectarianism? In a week when all sorts of political things have been happening this newspaper dicides that this is a story worth putting on its front page. Inside the paper a football columnist is arguinbg that the Old Firm pair should be ostracized, but there is little chance of that happening when his own newspaper thinks this rubbish is even worthy of a mention. As for McCurry, he should do the honourable thing and resign. Appalling little man!

Boruc wearing a "God Bless The Pope" shirt at an Old Firm game = genuine expression of religion.

McCurry playing "Simply The Best" as a way of praising God at his church = dirty hun bigot.

Are we all aware of the rules now? :rolleyes:

FWIW, I think the pair of them are detestable fuds.

Boruc wearing a "God Bless The Pope" shirt at an Old Firm game = genuine expression of religion.

McCurry playing "Simply The Best" as a way of praising God at his church = dirty hun bigot.

Both are equally wrong.

Football and religion have no part to play together in a modern Scotland!

Unfortunately Scotland still has far too many bigots on both sides who use football to peddle their c**p.

Commander Harris
McCurry has no integrity, he's not an accredited Baptist Pastor. Any decent man would have resigned when the story of his adultery broke.

This is just further stupidity, although the gutter press are being a bit naughty.

Also, this is definitely NOT how reformed, 'modern' churches stay relevant in the 21st century.

The whole thing is cheap, tacky and embarrassing.

I'd have to agree with the above.

King of the North

Difference is, only one of the above fuds is supposed to be impartial.

Boruc is an erse - but he doesn't referee football games.

And yes, McCurry is a filthy hun bigot. As are all Rangers fans.

portobellojambo1

What a crime, how could any minister have the audacity to do such a thing, to use a pop song within their sermon, absolutely fecking shocking, this is bigotry of the highest order.

It will be interesting to see if The Sunday Mail run with this story, this could be bigger than Lehman Brothers going down the toilet or HBOS being no more. In fact it has to be run as a front page story to make the whole World aware of such a criminal act.

What's with the sudden hun-love-in?

An SPL referee was caught playing a Rangers anthem (it is clearly seen as one in Glasgow) to his congreagation, the day after an Old Firm game, wearing a giant red hand.

Can nobody else see how ridiculous this is?

It was nothing about praising god. Anyone defending McCurry knows fine well themselves how momumentally stupid this was.

If it had been an SPL ref who was also priest singing You'll Never Walk Along (to signify that god is also with you) the day after an OF game, would you all be having the same reaction.

What a crime, how could any minister have the audacity to do such a thing, to use a pop song within their sermon, absolutely fecking shocking, this is bigotry of the highest order.

It will be interesting to see if The Sunday Mail run with this story, this could be bigger than Lehman Brothers going down the toilet or HBOS being no more. In fact it has to be run as a front page story to make the whole World aware of such a criminal act.

It's nothing about bigotry. Interesting that that is what you pick up on though.

It's about the fact that this referee is quite clearly bias. Nothing to do with religious intolerance.

Commander Harris
What's with the sudden hun-love-in?

An SPL referee was caught playing a Rangers anthem (it is clearly seen as one in Glasgow) to his congreagation, the day after an Old Firm game, wearing a giant red hand.

Can nobody else see how ridiculous this is?

It was nothing about praising god. Anyone defending McCurry knows fine well themselves how momumentally stupid this was.

If it had been an SPL ref who was also priest singing You'll Never Walk Along (to signify that god is also with you) the day after an OF game, would you all be having the same reaction.

where's the "hun-love-in" Toggie?

McCurry's a God botherin Fekwit lunatic...This ^^^^ is not Just happy to be Centre Stage on the Football Field, Where any decent ref tries to stay anonomous (sp?), Now he's at it in his made up church...This little Gimp KNEW this would be brought up in the Tabloids, Wouldn't surprise me if he sent it in himself..."Here darlin, Tape me singin this Rangers anthem...Wait, I'll go and get ma big Red Foam hond..." The GFA (Smith,another Hun C***) won't DARE do anything about this, Mr Murry would toe his Baws if he (Smith) starts against Brother McCurry!! :mad:

This Footballing Organisation is Corupt to the Core!!

I F****** HATE the Biggot S C U M Bassa's!!! :mad:

Rant Over...For now!

The People's Chimp

the entire episode just exposes the man's utter stupidity. he's clearly a moron who really doesn't have a clue. He's also a hun. Now, it's hardly front page news to have a moronic hun; but what is definitely newsworthy is the fact that this man is a referee.

On one of the dundee united boards there is a thread which lists all of his dodgy decisions. The number of pro hun, anti everyone else decisions are astonishing.

Remember the final with united last year? Remember barry basketball and the terrible attempts at justifying his CHEATING decisions? Grade A plum.

There is no way that he does not know about "simply the best" and the hun connection. Anyone who has been to hunbrox will know about it. To then claim his playing it at church had no link to his team, is an insult to all of our intelligence.

FWIW i don't think the red hand was significant of anything other than a low brain cell count on mccurry's part. Is he not a baptist? I didn't have them down as having much of a role to play in NI.

First thing that popped into my head when I saw the picture was kenny Everett...

Remember the priest with the big hands?

it's totally mcurry..

First thing that popped into my head when I saw the picture was kenny Everett...

Remember the priest with the big hands?

it's totally mcurry..

kenever3.jpg

kenever3.jpg

That's the very chap... couldn't find any clips on youtube,.. I tohught it would be funny to show something of him and also to educate the young about whats funny and whats not...

Fortunatly we have the SPL and its referees for that.

MacDonald Jardine

In what way is a Baptist minister leading the singing of a hymn in church (never mind the tune) a "detestable fud"?

Archived