Which opposition players should we sign?

Coco

Eh?? :eek:

Along with Stewart, Miko, Eggy and Berra he's been up there with the best performers for us.

He's strolled this season so far.

Lee Miller had a good 6 months under Robbo but has done nothing since. He was that good at Utd they let him go on a free. Garry Hay is a very average fullback and O'Dea better than the 'rubbish' Zaluikas - have you seen any games this season!? Apart for Stewart, he has been our best, most improved player.

Garry Kenneth is another average youngster - 'Scotland U21 Internationalist' sounds impressive until you remember Callum Elliot is a 1st chioce pick.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side and I wish fans would realise that.

The other poster who suggested we should swap Berra for Reynolds should go and watch a few Motherwell games.

Zaliukas is a bomb scare. He will play well for large parts of a game but will always give the opposition a chance. I am astonished that two or three decent games has convinced people that this guy is all of a sudden Beckenbauer.

Calum Eliot is a regular substitute for the Under 21's. Garry Hay does a decent job at full back for a decent side in the SPL, given we do not have a left back, I feel he would add to our side. O'Dea is an excellent young prospect, playing (and not looking out of place) in Europe for them, again, I feel we need to address the left back position as a top priority.

As for Lee Miller, I honestly feel that he would do well for us. Again, many are too quick to forget and base their opinion on what happened yesterday.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zaliukas is a bomb scare. He will play well for large parts of a game but will always give the opposition a chance. I am astonished that two or three decent games has convinced people that this guy is all of a sudden Beckenbauer.

He is playing for us but it is as if some fans can't stand to see Big Zal doing well.

Seymour M Hersh
I reckon Lee Miller would be a brilliant signing. Type of player that would be perfect for the way we are playing just now.

Wouldn't have him back tbh. He's not really scored at will for the sheep.

We need to decide the positions that require strengthening then look at the players in other teams who would definitely strengthen HMFC.

In my opinion we need to strengthen central defence, left back, left mid and centre forward. And one of them needs to be a leader as our captain is too quiet on the pitch for my liking. Mike Stewart is noisy enough but could he be counted on game in game out not to lose the plot on occasions.

Most of the Spl suitable players coco wants are on the books & will come thru the ranks.

What?

We've signed Arfield and McArthur?

Most of the Spl suitable players coco wants are on the books & will come thru the ranks.

We can't rely on youth players only though.

Exactly, plus he ones we have at Kaunas.

Good list bighusref. I have to agree with most on there. Like someone else has said I'd take Black at ICT too.

dailly is a terrible football player, no thanks.

Yes you're right. So terrible that he's gone for nearly ?10 million in transfer fees, spent 10 years playing in the English top flight, earned 5 figures a week for years, and got 67 caps for his country. :rolleyes: Obviously the likes of Zaliukas are far better options.

The idea that we could have a consistent conveyer belt of talent continually refreshing the first team and keeping the right standard is so naiive.

Nothing wrong with having a good youth policy. But we have seen it needs to be augmented with good signings - Gordon and Neilson with Pressley and Webster in the Levein defence for example. Robbo and Mackay with Clark and Colquhoun.

Would swap Reynolds for Berra in a second

Honestly? Every goal they've conceded this season seems to have been his fault.

The idea that we could have a consistent conveyer belt of talent continually refreshing the first team and keeping the right standard is so naiive.

Nothing wrong with having a good youth policy. But we have seen it needs to be augmented with good signings - Gordon and Neilson with Pressley and Webster in the Levein defence for example. Robbo and Mackay with Clark and Colquhoun.

due to competition from english teams most Spl players will go there instead.

Calum Eliot is a regular substitute for the Under 21's. Garry Hay does a decent job at full back for a decent side in the SPL, given we do not have a left back, I feel he would add to our side. O'Dea is an excellent young prospect, playing (and not looking out of place) in Europe for them, again, I feel we need to address the left back position as a top priority.

As for Lee Miller, I honestly feel that he would do well for us. Again, many are too quick to forget and base their opinion on what happened yesterday.

Nobody has said Zaluikas is the new Beckenbauer, the fans have just recognised an improvement in his form and attitude. To label him 'rubbish' is a very poor and unsubstantiated comment to make.

Garry Hay is better than what we have at left back but let me ask you this - would he be a player that would help us be up their challenging the OF? No. Would he be worth the probable ?500k Kilmarnock would ask for him. Definately not. Is he a patch on Fyssas, hell no.

O'Dea is an excellent young prospect, playing (and not looking out of place) in Europe for them
You've just answered your own question - they wouldn't sell him to us would they? And if they were ready to let him go I suspect both player and Club would prefer him to move down south.

Lee Miller managed just 8 goals in 37 games for Dundee Utd and just 16 in 71 games for Aberdeen.

We should be looking for someone who could score at least 16 goals a season.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
as i've said mate can you not remember the talk coming out of tynecastle was we were looking more at british signing targets? and by the way the gow one was a publicity stunt! after all the crap vlad has said about rangers and celtic and his anti sell stance towards them do you really think any of them are going to loan us a player?

What do you mean "publicity stunt"? What was he hoping to gain by "pretending" to go for Alan Gow? That's another one of those daft phrases that gets thrown around every time we lose out on a player, usually without even the person who says it knowing what they mean!

Hopefully someone at the club is watching the opposition players we are facing with the thought of bringing them into the club in January.

So far this season for our problem central midfield position I have been impressed by Mason of St Mirren, McArthur of Hamilton, Arfield, O'Brien and McBride of Falkirk and today by Ian Black of Caley.

Anyone think that there have been any other players we could realistically sign who have played well against us and who could fill problem positions for us?

Mason started as a Hearts Youth player (think Sandy Clark let him go) before going to Dunfermline. Ian Black I agree, always thought he was a Hartley clone although he was average on Saturday. I thought McArthur had some tentative agreement with a team down south but will play the 2 seasons up here before taking up the option?

With the greatest of respect to the OP I don't think Vlad is that interested in signing players from Scottish teams as their sell on value would already be established to a large extent unless they suddenly turn into Maradonna. I hope I am proved wrong if Shabba is allowed the opportunity to bring some in but frankly I'm not sure what input he will be allowed in signings come January.

And slightly off topic but I'd be more interested in who Shabba thinks we should be getting rid of in January.

I disagree, history tells us that Hearts (and Hibs for that matter) can command greater transfer fees than smaller Scottish clubs. I agree with your later post that VR does not trust Scottish players and our transfer policy will continue to come from overseas with the vast majority of our Scottish players progressing from the youth team.

If Csaba has any say in who leaves the club in January I think it will be Beslija, Makela and Palazuelos for the chop. Every other senior member of the first team squad seems to be rated to some extent by Csaba at the moment but this could change between now and January.

Strikers please.

As long as they know where the goal is I'm not bothered. We don't really need much else.

I'm struggling to believe that a thread with an OP of...

"Our troublesome central midfield position..."

has gone with out the content of the op being commented on.

Two of our best players this season are in the middle

We have another 3 waiting in the wings (or at least can play there)

I do wonder sometimes.

Mason started as a Hearts Youth player (think Sandy Clark let him go) before going to Dunfermline. Ian Black I agree, always thought he was a Hartley clone although he was average on Saturday. I thought McArthur had some tentative agreement with a team down south but will play the 2 seasons up here before taking up the option?

He went to Man City then Dunfermline iirc.

Mason was at Man City as a lad.

He joined Dunfermline straight from there when he around 20 years old.

A great Jambo and will no doubt be at ER with Locke.

I'm struggling to believe that a thread with an OP of...

"Our troublesome central midfield position..."

has gone with out the content of the op being commented on.

Two of our best players this season are in the middle

We have another 3 waiting in the wings (or at least can play there)

I do wonder sometimes.

I think that Stewart has been excellent this year.

I think that Karipidis has been okay but is clearly not the answer in midfield. I don't rate Palazuelos or Aguiar who are a pair of saps not suited to Scottish football and who we should be looking to move on.

The centre of midfield is therefore a troubled position as it is putting so much stress on Stewart performing well. In addition the fixture list has been kind so far.

I would like to see a midfield 3 of Jonsson, Stewart and McArthur of Hamilton brought in.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

gary kenneth is a prospect unlike zaliukas??? are u off ur skull? zaliukas has been one of our most solid players this season, get ur anti lith goggles off and get a grip!

player that stands out i would like to sign is chris killen, wouldnt be too dear i reckon

What?

We've signed Arfield and McArthur?

Why Arfield & McArthur ? they are both very good young players but both are only age 19 & 18 respectively - they'd also cost a fair bit of money to acquire as I doubt Falkirk or Hamilton would let them go on the cheap ... anyway we've got our own prospects in the positions, I'd rather we gave our own young players chances first.

Signing experienced SPL players is a good idea if you can get the right quality & value for money but the wages on offer in the English Championship have pushed the cost of these players up a lot in the last couple of years.

Guest jambomickey
gary kenneth is a prospect unlike zaliukas??? are u off ur skull? zaliukas has been one of our most solid players this season, get ur anti lith goggles off and get a grip!

player that stands out i would like to sign is chris killen, wouldnt be too dear i reckon

zaliukas is a bomb scare

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

jambo mickey u dont have a clue, this season what has he done wrong? shhhhh

Guest jambomickey
jambo mickey u dont have a clue, this season what has he done wrong? shhhhh

don't have a clue? played centre half myself in my playing days and zaliukas doesn't inspire me with onfidence

Yes you're right. So terrible that he's gone for nearly ?10 million in transfer fees, spent 10 years playing in the English top flight, earned 5 figures a week for years, and got 67 caps for his country. :rolleyes: Obviously the likes of Zaliukas are far better options.

Zaliukas is a far better option, Dailly may have been a decent player once upon a time but not anymore and anybody who witnessed his shambolic cameo as sub for Scotland against the Czechs will agree!

Not trying to say Zali is anything special but by SPL standards he's a good quality CH and far less of a bomb-scare than Dailly who in reality spent 7 years playing in English top flight and 3 warming benches occasionally!

Nobody has said Zaluikas is the new Beckenbauer, the fans have just recognised an improvement in his form and attitude. To label him 'rubbish' is a very poor and unsubstantiated comment to make.

Unsubstantiated? Now I know you are having a laugh.

Garry Hay is better than what we have at left back[/b'] but let me ask you this - would he be a player that would help us be up their challenging the OF? No. Would he be worth the probable ?500k Kilmarnock would ask for him. Definately not. Is he a patch on Fyssas, hell no.

Thank you for the section in bold, at least you now admit your error.

You've just answered your own question - they wouldn't sell him to us would they? And if they were ready to let him go I suspect both player and Club would prefer him to move down south.

Different to your opinion earlier, or has your opinion (like that of Hay) changed? Anyway, whether or not they would sell to us is a different story. I should have included him in my paragraph about those R@ng*rs players that would carry a restrictive transfer fee.

Lee Miller managed just 8 goals in 37 games for Dundee Utd and just 16 in 71 games for Aberdeen.

We should be looking for someone who could score at least 16 goals a season.

Two questions' date='

1) Suppose you had striking options of Nade, Mole, Glen, Tullberg, Makela and Miller, where would Lee Miller be in your order of choice for a matchday?

2) Velicka scored a good number for us last season, but IIRC, he still fell short of 16. Who was the last [b']striker to score in excess of 15 goals in a season? Assuming it was some time ago (it could even be Robertson) I would imagine you will come on and tell me that we should not have signed ANY of the strikers we have signed since then.

Unsubstantiated? Now I know you are having a laugh.

Thank you for the section in bold, at least you now admit your error.

Different to your opinion earlier, or has your opinion (like that of Hay) changed? Anyway, whether or not they would sell to us is a different story. I should have included him in my paragraph about those R@ng*rs players that would carry a restrictive transfer fee.

Two questions,

1) Suppose you had striking options of Nade, Mole, Glen, Tullberg, Makela and Miller, where would Lee Miller be in your order of choice for a matchday?

2) Velicka scored a good number for us last season, but IIRC, he still fell short of 16. Who was the last striker to score in excess of 15 goals in a season? Assuming it was some time ago (it could even be Robertson) I would imagine you will come on and tell me that we should not have signed ANY of the strikers we have signed since then.

I still think O'Dea is over rated - I was just pointing out that we'd be very unlikely to get him anyway.

I just can't accept your reasons for signing guys like Miller or Hay - it's like saying you'd rather have herpes as it's not as bad as HIV.

Burley showed you don't have to spend big to be up there challenging, guys like Bednar, Brellier and Skacel were only on around ?4k a week. It was the Romanov signings of Beslija, Makela, Goncalves and Kingston that put us in financial difficulties.

2) Velicka scored a good number for us last season, but IIRC, he still fell short of 16. Who was the last striker to score in excess of 15 goals in a season? Assuming it was some time ago (it could even be Robertson) I would imagine you will come on and tell me that we should not have signed ANY of the strikers we have signed since then.

Mark De Vries score 16 goals for us in a season. A player who cost us nothing.

Hibs have also just picked up a prolific goal scorer for buttons....

I still think O'Dea is over rated - I was just pointing out that we'd be very unlikely to get him anyway.

I just can't accept your reasons for signing guys like Miller or Hay - it's like saying you'd rather have herpes as it's not as bad as HIV.

Burley showed you don't have to spend big to be up there challenging, guys like Bednar, Brellier and Skacel were only on around ?4k a week. It was the Romanov signings of Beslija, Makela, Goncalves and Kingston that put us in financial difficulties.

So, you concede they are better than what we have but you don't want us to sign them? :rolleyes:

As for the Burley paragraph, I suggest you re-read the OP, this thread was about which local based players do you think we could realistically sign and would improve the squad.

So, by your rationale, Jankauskas and Bednar were no good for us and players we should not have signed?

As for Riordan, I will remind you (again) about the key part of the beginning of the thread, where it refers to realistic transfer signings. We tried to sign him, but he would not come to Hearts. It is interesting you mention Riordan though, how many goals did he score last year? Or the last?

So, by your rationale, Jankauskas and Bednar were no good for us and players we should not have signed?

As for Riordan, I will remind you (again) about the key part of the beginning of the thread, where it refers to realistic transfer signings. We tried to sign him, but he would not come to Hearts. It is interesting you mention Riordan though, how many goals did he score last year? Or the last?

A far more interesting point might be his goals to games ratio considering his time spent getting arse splinters.

So, you concede they are better than what we have but you don't want us to sign them? :rolleyes:

You're going round in circles here mate - they may be better than what we have but there are plenty of players out there who are within our budget that are far far better players.

We should be aiming for the best our money can buy, not 'decent players who would do a job'.

After today's game I would add Gomis, Robertson and Flood to the list of players who would improve our problem positions in midfield.

Captain Scarlett
Hopefully someone at the club is watching the opposition players we are facing with the thought of bringing them into the club in January.

So far this season for our problem central midfield position I have been impressed by Mason of St Mirren, McArthur of Hamilton, Arfield, O'Brien and McBride of Falkirk and today by Ian Black of Caley.

Anyone think that there have been any other players we could realistically sign who have played well against us and who could fill problem positions for us?

There would be no chance of him coming to hearts, he is a massive hibs fan.

Was No 8 Robertson in the United midfield, the Jordan Robertson they had playing up front for them last season?

Today's version in midfield was so comfortable on the ball. I suppose to be fair though he was under no pressure at all.

Was No 8 Robertson in the United midfield, the Jordan Robertson they had playing up front for them last season?

Today's version in midfield was so comfortable on the ball. I suppose to be fair though he was under no pressure at all.

No Jordan Robertson was a striker they had on loan from Sheffield Utd and he returned there last January .. last season they also played their own David Roberton in midfield but yesterday they had Scott Robertson ex-Dundee one of several ex-Dens men they've had in their team in recent seasons.

No Jordan Robertson was a striker they had on loan from Sheffield Utd and he returned there last January .. last season they also played their own David Roberton in midfield but yesterday they had Scott Robertson ex-Dundee one of several ex-Dens men they've had in their team in recent seasons.

Cheers NMH. He looked very comfortable on the ball.

Cheers NMH. He looked very comfortable on the ball.

First time I've seen him - certainly looks decent enough - United have fairly exploited Dundee's extended tenure in the First Division by nicking several of their better players with the offer of SPL football and presumably better money as well.

WE DONT NEED ANY MORE MIDFEILDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After today's game I would add Gomis, Robertson and Flood to the list of players who would improve our problem positions in midfield.

WHATS WRONG WITH AGUIAR, MIKO, RUBEN AND KINGS.......OH WAIT, YES YOU HAVE A POINT.

The Rearend/sellick/hobos situation was very unusual - definitely not the sort of thing that happens all the time.

Where are Hearts going to get the money to sign all these players people think we apparently need for various positions in the team?

Most of the players mentioned on this thread are under contract for this season at least and probably quite a few of them on multi-year contracts .... we might be able to get some of them on bosman free transfers if they were out of contract but we'd face competition from english championship clubs in particular who can offer a better financial package it appears.

Selling some players to fund replacements might be an answer but it depends if reducing club debts is a higher priority.

Archived