Four Nations to return in 2011

chester copperpot

Dr Ian Malcolm

Been on Sky Sports News. Basically Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic are playing a tournamnet in 2011.

chester copperpot

Scotland Versus Republic of Ireland.

Thats going to be a tough one for certain posters on here as to who to support. Or hate the most. ;)

:P

Is this the new idea mentioned earlier this year, with sellik....sorry i mean the Republic of Ireland instead of England?

EDIT: It appears so since i was slow in typing that!

Guest jambomickey
Scotland Versus Republic of Ireland.

Thats going to be a tough one for certain posters on here as to who to support. Or hate the most. ;)

:P

won't be tough for me! although my parents and grand parents are irish i'm proud to be scottish and i'll be in the scotland end cheering scotland

Nucky Thompson

It was called the home international championship. I was just getting into football when Scotland got done 5-1 at Wembley in 1975:o We won it in 1976 though.

Been on Sky Sports News. Basically Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic are playing a tournamnet in 2011.

Given this has never been a competition, how can it "return"? :o

It's simply a bunch of diddy teams trying to make some money. :sad:

chester copperpot
won't be tough for me! although my parents and grand parents are irish i'm proud to be scottish and i'll be in the scotland end cheering scotland

I wont. Couldn't give a monkeys, but I suppose it will help fill the summer with football that year. :)

I like it.

Scotland can add to their world famous, prestigous and real crowning glory of international football, Kirin Cup trophy that was won on the same day that we beat Gretna in the Scottish Cup Final.

Nucky Thompson
I like it.

Scotland can add to their world famous, prestigous and real crowning glory of international football, Kirin Cup trophy that was won on the same day that we beat Gretna in the Scottish Cup Final.

The day before because I watched it in luckies on the Friday morning:)

chester copperpot
Given this has never been a competition, how can it "return"? :o -

It's simply a bunch of diddy teams trying to make some money.

Ok, should not have used the term return, thanks for pointing that out though:p

Might give a wee fix of football that summer, so pretty pleased about that.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
The day before because I watched it in luckies on the Friday morning:)

Nope, it was definitely that day because I watched it in a boozer in the weeg before the game. :)

the stone rose
Nope, it was definitely that day because I watched it in a boozer in the weeg before the game. :)

So did I.:eek:

Nucky Thompson
Your right, I'm thinking of the Bulgaria game when we won 5-1 and that was on the Thursday lunch time.

scott herbertson
It was called the home international championship. I was just getting into football when Scotland got done 5-1 at Wembley in 1975:o We won it in 1976 though.

Unfortunately I was there in 1975

maybe we should be cheeky and sugguest the winners represent Britain in the Olympics ;)

Nucky Thompson
It was defo the same day Boo.
Yeah I know, I was thinking about the victory 2 days before, all I can remember was finishing early and going to the boozer:rolleyes:

Chad Sexington
Money is one issue. Although Im sceptical of what crowds the home game's will pull in.

All the games are played in Dublin apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7623975.stm

The Four Associations Tournament will take place in Dublin, with a league format seeing two matches played in February, with a further four in May.

The Four Associations Tournament will take place in Dublin, with a league format seeing two matches played in February, with a further four in May.

Thanks, Chad.

Im sure the tartan army will have a smashing time.

It's probably been fancied by the other three home nations for some time, more as a cash generator than anything else. I'm not over enthused by the idea though and as suggested it's doubtful if the crowds will be out in force.

A nice wee trip to Dublin and Croke Park could be on the cards though.........if they will allow our 'infidel' game there on a regular basis !

Ill probably go over in the May for a few days in Dublin.

Hopefully Scotland will get the Northern Ireland game out the way in the February then the Wales and ROI games are in the May when im there.

I wonder if Oirish Aiden will pull out of the Scotland match with an 'injury'.

I therefore deduce that you and Aiden Mcgeady have different grand parents.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Have Northern Ireland ever faced the Republic?

That could be interesting.

Yes, quite a few times.

Northern Ireland won the last meeting (Danny Griffin scored the winner :eek:) but I'm not sure if it was actually counted as an official international or not as it was played in aid of the Omagh bombing fund.

Originally Posted by JamboSean View Post

Yes, quite a few times.

Northern Ireland won the last meeting (Danny Griffin scored the winner :eek:) but I'm not sure if it was actually counted as an official international or not as it was played in aid of the Omagh bombing fund.

Never even heard about that match. Wonder if there was any crowd trouble before/after. There must have been a huge police presence outside the stadium.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Originally Posted by JamboSean View Post

Never even heard about that match. Wonder if there was any crowd trouble before/after. There must have been a huge police presence outside the stadium.

Yep, raising money for a tragedy in which 31 people died brought the rioters out. :rolleyes:

There has been "history" in games involving the two Irelands before (most noticeably in the last game of the 1994 WC qualifying at Windsor) but I actually think the fans would be a lot better now.

I can remeber Jack Charlton's Rep of Ireland getting a draw away to N Ireland to qualify for the World Cup or European Champuionships

Yep, raising money for a tragedy in which 31 people died brought the rioters out. :rolleyes:

There has been "history" in games involving the two Irelands before (most noticeably in the last game of the 1994 WC qualifying at Windsor) but I actually think the fans would be a lot better now.

Tbh, nothing would surprise me. Like i said though, im certain there was a huge police presence anyway, friendly/benefit match or not.

Like you said though, the fans would be better now. I believe that. :)

Geoff Kilpatrick
Tbh, nothing would surprise me. Like i said though, im certain there was a huge police presence anyway, friendly/benefit match or not.

Like you said though, the fans would be better now. I believe that. :)

Er no.

Besides, ticket sales tend to be limited for these fixtures for travelling fans. I can't recall if the Omagh match was treated any differently or not. I do remember, though, that no tickets for Republic fans were sold for Windsor back in 1993, nor was The Soldier's Song played when the anthems were played. That was reciprocated in Dublin.

Both teams met for the qualifying for Euro 96 as well. We got humped 4-0 in Belfast but drew in Dublin, IIRC.

I think this is great news

Looking forward to it already

Thank god England are not involved

Nobody likes when the idiot nation of the world turns up and spoils the party.

Er no.

Besides, ticket sales tend to be limited for these fixtures for travelling fans. I can't recall if the Omagh match was treated any differently or not. I do remember, though, that no tickets for Republic fans were sold for Windsor back in 1993, nor was The Soldier's Song played when the anthems were played. That was reciprocated in Dublin.

Both teams met for the qualifying for Euro 96 as well. We got humped 4-0 in Belfast but drew in Dublin, IIRC.

Ok, fair enough mate :-)

Sounds like an excellent idea.

Listening to a pundit on Talksport this morning rubbishing the tournament because England are not there - strikes me that most of the English media commentators are xenophobic clowns. They are puffing themselves up with the "no one likes us - we don't care" attitude, and making their usual off the cuff racist slurs about all the other nations in the British Isles involved with this - with Scots coming in for most of the abuse.

I hope this tournament goes on to be a resounding succces. It will maybe shut up some of the ignorant clowns down south.

portobellojambo1
Why? What's the point? :dontgetit:

Exactly.

People will quickly get bored with it. And from Scotland's point of view without England there it is not going to be a money spinner. The one game in The Home International Championship that attracted big crowds, certainly towards the end, was always Scotland versus England.

EDIT - Just read that all of the fixtures will be played in Dublin, makes even less sense now.

The Old Tolbooth

I used to enjoy the home nations fixtures, it was always played with passion and pride, especially the games against England. Shame they won't be part of it really as they could do with the practise as well.

It's probably been fancied by the other three home nations for some time, more as a cash generator than anything else. I'm not over enthused by the idea though and as suggested it's doubtful if the crowds will be out in force.

A nice wee trip to Dublin and Croke Park could be on the cards though.........if they will allow our 'infidel' game there on a regular basis !

You can go to Croke Park but it'll probably be a bit quiet.

The games are presumably at the new Landsdowne Road which will be finished by then

The BBC article made no mention of this becoming a regular thing so it may be envisioned as being, in effect, a one off gala opening of the FAI's new ground.

You can go to Croke Park but it'll probably be a bit quiet.

The games are presumably at the new Landsdowne Road which will be finished by then

The BBC article made no mention of this becoming a regular thing so it may be envisioned as being, in effect, a one off gala opening of the FAI's new ground.

Bingo.

I wonder though, with it not being an official tournament, how many of the players will want to actually play? I can see the usual pullouts...

Bingo.

I wonder though, with it not being an official tournament, how many of the players will want to actually play? I can see the usual pullouts...

By the looks of it this is being played in slots that would otherwise be used for actual friendlies so if anything the fact that there's a little bit more of a competitive edge should make call offs less likely.

A meeting of the great unwashed, no thanks. It'll be like going to a Celtic game

Dublin is full of people who genuinely are Irish so it's nothing like a Celtic game

Archived